The Volunteer Stroke
scheme was set up in 1983 to cater for stroke patients and
Priority was given to those with speech and allied problems.
Over the years the scheme has progressed and we now have four
Dublin based clubs where groups meet on a weekly basis and
participate in thereputic type activities, as well as physiotherapy
Annual holidays, Outings and Christmas parties are also held.
Aims and Objectives
- To help people who suffer from speech and allied problems as a result of a stroke.
- To offer each patient a volunteer who will visit for about an hour at a time on a regular weekly basis.
- To provide a club where patients can meet and be helped further.
- To provide a loan scheme of technical aids for patients waiting for same from their health boards or for those wishing to have a trial period on equipment before purchasing.
- To provide outings from time to time.
- To create a greater awareness and understanding of stroke through effective and relevant publicity.
- To provide relative support groups and a counselling service.