Access to Family Planning Services?

1 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

9 Posts

A  ·  15 Sep 2006
Does anyone else think that family planning services should have more accessible opening hours?
I've recently moved from Dublin to a small village in a neighbouring county. I thought that I would go to the local family planning service to renew my pill prescription instead of having to take a train to Dublin on a Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, the local doctor's hours are 9.30 to 1 and 2 to 5. I work from 9 to 5.30 and cannot get time off to travel back to go to the doctor.
So I called the clinic in Dublin and they can't give me an appointment on Saturday because they are full up. So on a Thursday evening I will have to sit in traffic for about 75 to 85 minutes to get into town, go to the clinic and then spend another hour at least on a bus getting back out of Dublin and going home.

Call me lazy but that really seems silly to me! Surely the family planning service should nod to the fact that an awful lot of young women work outside the home and that just because you don't live in Dublin doesn't mean that you are prepared to have children yet?

I'm hoping to start a family in 18 months to 2 years' time. I dread to discover what maternity services are like living outside the capital.