Birth control pill nightmare!

86 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

1 Posts

Jane f  ·  22 Aug 2016

Hi Last period was on the 23rd of July I had unprotected sex on the 7th of August I think I was already after ovalating I took the morning after pill 13hrs after then on the 13th I start bleeding for 2 days only lightly my cycle is always 28 days in never early nor late my period should have been expected on the 20th but now I'm late  worried now should I take a test or wait another of couple of days 

2 Posts

Alisha12345  ·  29 Jun 2016

Hi I have been taking the pill (ovranette) for about 5/6 months now but I'm concerned about this problem. I didn't realise I had ran out of pills until the weekend when the doctor's was closed so I could not order my prescription. I had no pill for that day so my mam gave me one if hers (it was a different brand). The next day I received my next packet of ovranette and continued those because I am taking two packets back to back for a holiday. I would like to know if it matters if I took one pill of a different brand. Am I still protected as normal?? Please help

2 Posts

Alisha12345  ·  27 Jun 2016

Hi I have been taking the pill (ovranette) for about 5/6 months now but I'm concerned about this problem. I didn't realise I had ran out of pills until the weekend when the doctor's was closed so I could not order my prescription. I had no pill for that day so my mam gave me one if hers (it was a different brand). The next day I received my next packet of ovranette and continued those because I am taking two packets back to back for a holiday. I would like to know if it matters if I took one pill of a different brand. Am I still protected as normal?? Please help

2 Posts

cathcon92  ·  05 Jun 2016

Hi everyone, I need some advice please. I have just starting taking Ovranette again after a seven month break from the pill. In the past, I have not suffered any side effects on this birth control, apart from some spotting mid cycle when I came off the pill. However, this time round, I have had light brown bleeding almost every day since I started taking Ovranette - I presumed this was breakthrough bleeding. However, I started to bleed bright red blood during sex with my boyfriend 2 days ago - it turned to brown again shortly afterwards and has now petered out. I am quite worried as this has never happened before. I have been taking my pills at religiously at the same time each day, could it just be my body re-adapting to the hormones? 

1 Posts

rosie218  ·  23 Aug 2015

Hi everyone,

I started taking microlite 3 weeks ago, tomorrow is my last pill of the pack but last night me and my boyfriend had sex without a condom and I read on the leaflet that the pill is effective after 7 days but I read online that the pill isn't effective for 4 weeks does anyone know which is true? Do I need emergency contraception? Thank you :)

1 Posts

Cat1991  ·  18 Jul 2015

Hi guys, I have been on yasminelle for 7 months. And myself and my boyfriend always use condoms when I'm on the pill just to be safe. 

Recently we had an accident. Which was on day three of a new pack. I went to a pharmacy the next day and had a chat and I was told that given the fact I was on the pill and so early into my cycle it was unlikely I would have anything to worry about. 

I continued taking the pill and am now on day 3 of my break. I normally get my period as soon as I finish. As you can imagine I am quite stressed about the whole thing. And I know this can be a factor in a delay.

I'm just looking for any advice.

Thanks x 

1 Posts

Bronagh Farrell571  ·  18 Apr 2015

Hi All,

I have been taking mircolite for about 9 months now. Last month however I wanted to skip my peroid and the doctor had previosly told me it would be fine. So I simply continued onto the next pack when I finished the previous one. No I am done that pack and was due my peroid earlier today but still nothing.I know it's still early but ever since I started I have gotten it at nearly exactly the same day and time every month. I have had sex with my boyfriend during these 2 months as well. I also didn't alway take the pill at the exact same time every day (varied from about 2 hours before 7, the usual time I take it, to 4 ours afterward). I don't know if this has reduced the contraceptive affect of the pill. Should I be worried?

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  13 Mar 2015

Okay Leanne, I presume you have not had a stomach upset (vomiting or diarrhea) and have not been taking antibiotics since your last period. From your post, you finished your last pack on Monday and expected your period within 3 days (so Thursday). As it's only Friday, I don't think you have cause to worry - stress can also delay your period, as can, for exampke weight loss. It also would not be unheard of to miss a period entirely while on the pill.

1 Posts

Leanne268  ·  13 Mar 2015

Okay iv been taking micro lite for 6 months, no bad side effects and got period three days after taking last pill. I took the last pill of last pack on Monday and now it's Friday I haven't missed any pills and took them at same time. I have had sex without a condom two different days this month and I haven't got my period yet.. Should I be worried?? Prim freaking out right now cause I really CAN NOT be pregnant!!!

1 Posts

Rooster  ·  22 May 2013

Hi!

Its my first month on the pill. I took yasmin on the first day of my period. As soon as i was finished my period me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex and have been all month. Are we protected? Been taking the pill at the same time everyday and haven't miss a pill. It said on the pack we were protected if we took it on the first day? But i just wanna make sure?!

2 Posts

dolly:)  ·  12 Dec 2011

hi guys new here,

i was diagnosed with pcos and endometriosis. i was recieving a treatment called decapeptyl which stops ovulation. i am finished that treatment since june and my period returned to normal and now on yasmin(pill). on my7 day break i am not getting a period and only had 1 light bleed. has this happened to any one else? help!!

1 Posts

louise90  ·  22 Oct 2011

hey guys,,

Im new here to this, Just started the pill 4 days ago (microlite) as im new to this plus im a real worrier, im worried about getting blood clots and because of this i've myself all worked up, i know its silly! im not over weight, dont smoke, have had blood tests done last year all perfectly fine so im probably freaking out over nothing?? any other tips about microlite? does it hake you moody r depressed? 

any tips are greatly appriciated! 

Thanks x

2 Posts

Ridge  ·  04 Jul 2011

What I meant by unprotected sex was without a condom...and because I had messed up the previous pack I wasn't sure if I'd be protected in the new pack.

However crisis has been averted as period arrived today...on day 5 of the gap week which is quite late for me but nevertheless it's here and it's probably due to the change in the day I took it.

Will be much more careful not to mess up again!

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  04 Jul 2011

Hi Ridge, I'm a little confused by your post, you thought you missed a pill but in fact hadn't, you finished your pack a day earlier, Got your period as normal in gap week - hence were not pegnant at that point then started next pack a day earlier and if you then took that pack as normal  - then how do you figure you had unprotected sex once during the last pack - unless you missed a pill or took one late rather then taking the pack as normal?

2 Posts

Ridge  ·  03 Jul 2011

Hi all

Having a scare with the pill.

Last month I thought I missed a pill so took 2 together the next day but then realised I hadn't missed one at all (just taken it from wrong side of pack). So I finished my pack a day earlier than I should have. Got my period as normal in gap week and started next pack a day earlier so that I wasn't elongating my 7 day break. Took that pack as normal but shoud've had my period after it a few days ago. Still no sign of it and I had unprotected sex once during the last pack. Cannot sleep with worry and realise I should go to my doctor soon but just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience that could put me at ease.

Thanks

1 Posts

Kingelmo  ·  14 Jun 2011

Hi All,

New here and hoping a could get some advise from ye all...

I have been on Dianette for 5 years (firstly given to me for acne), i found it great to clear up my face but went a bit ga ga from it.. Depressed one min, could love you the next and could kill you after that..

Doc perscibed me Microlite and i feel its working great.. My mood is back to nornmal and i feel great. I went from Dianette straight to Microlite without a 7 day gap i just ran on with them as the doctor said to do.. My only conern is i havent got my period yet, i usually get it a day after coming off teh pill on my break.. But im due to go back on them tomorrow again but still no period..

Anyone been in the same boat?? I know im defo not pregnant.. Is is because i ran both pills with out a breatk or is it beacuse of new pill?? should i be worried, i never ran pills on before or changed pill even..

Thanks for help !

2 Posts

Elmo8  ·  04 May 2011

Awh thank u so much me head was all over de place I was freaked 

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  27 Apr 2011

Hi Elmo, No now that you are on your second month, provided you have taken them correctly, you are fully protected.

Not a mad question at all by way.

2 Posts

Elmo8  ·  26 Apr 2011

Hey this mite sound like a mad question , iv recently started takin the pill I hav jus started my second pack I was just wondering if I have to wait 7 days before I can have sex like wen I first started my first month , someone help

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  10 Jan 2011

Actually Miss, the newer type of pill LOWERS your risk of overarian and certain endometrial cancers. Certain pills will have SOME side side effects which will affect certain women but the vast majority of side effects are minor and transient and in the rare case of a side effect impacting a woman's day to day quality of life, it can  take a swtich between 2 or 3 different brands of pill before she finds the right one to suit her. Of course every single medication has side effects it is just a case of weighing risks vs benefits and deciding what suits you best.

5 Posts

Miss  ·  07 Jan 2011

I've never taken the pill and never plan to either, not on religious grounds rather on health grounds. The pill can increase your risks of getting certain types of cancers. Almost all pills have side effects and I find that if you can avoid taking medication, please do!

My partner and I use condoms and I've never had a problem.

0 Posts

SamSam  ·  20 Aug 2009

Anonymous- Your hormones might shuffling.  Both menstrual period and taking pills can change the normal function of your hormones. Maybe I think you need to shift to another kind of pill that suites your body. Try yasmin, guaranteed no side effects. I'm using it for about a year now.

4 Posts

Shelly22  ·  13 Aug 2009

Thank You for your help!!! Smile

223 Posts

Canadian Liz  ·  12 Aug 2009

Shelly, it happened to me a few times over the years.  My gyne and endo advised me to take it as soon as I remembered as indicated on the package, which I did. 

4 Posts

Shelly22  ·  10 Aug 2009

I have a question in regard to the Pill, im hoping you will be able to help!!

I usually start taking my Tri-minulet pill on the monday and continue to take it each day same time for 21 days, then i break for the 7day pill free days! However, as i came to the end of the pack i realised that i had one pill extra!! I should have been finished them on the sunday night but there was one left to take on the monday! This means i must have missed a pill during the pack. Im reckoning its mid way but not so sure!! I wasnt sure whether to take the missed pill on the monday or not as i should have been starting my 7 fee day. In the end i took the missed pill and now my 7day fee pill is due to start on tuesday instead of wednesday. Is this the correct Option for me??? Help

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  20 Jul 2009

Hi Qua, it can happen that you need to try a number of different pills before you find the one that's right for you. An alternative to the pill might be the implant - which goes into your arm and lasts three years or the depo provera which is a three monthly injection.

You moight also be a candidate for the mini-pill if you think the oestrogen is causing you a problem.

223 Posts

Canadian Liz  ·  19 Jul 2009

Qua, I was on various brands of the pill for nearly 20 years (I have Mirena now) and I remember when the pill contained 50 mcg of estrogen (not anymore). It takes the body 6 months or so for it to adjust to an oral contraceptive. Since you have passed the 6 month mark and are still experiencing side effects, speak to your doctor about trying a different brand or another birth control option.

1 Posts

Qua  ·  17 Jul 2009

Seems like the Pill is a problem for a lot of women, I thought It was just me, I have been on Yasminelle for 6 months now and I feel bad almost every day, my breasts and stomach are swollen, I have mood swings, I veer from being really angry to really weepy and my sex drive much lower. I don't know what to do, as Condoms were not really working for us (a lot of split condoms no matter how carefull we were and had to take the morning after pill quite a few times, also my boyfriend often unable to climax with a condom on). I really hate putting artificial hormones into my body but feel trapped as dont think there is any realistic alternative to this.

2 Posts

LAB  ·  27 May 2009

Thanks Anon for taking the time to reply. I haven't actually been taking it at the exact same time each day (sometimes an hour or two in the difference so I am guessing this wont help!!) I will set my alarm to take it at the same time every day an hopefully should stop it. Thanks again Laughing

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  27 May 2009

Hi Chlo and mgsem, it sounds like either the particular pill you're on is not suitable for you or you would be better with an alternative contraceptive such as at implant of depo shot.

Hi LAB, I experieced the same thing when the dosage of the pill I was on (a super low dose due to my age) was simply too low to suppress the bleed. I was protected from pregnacny but got beakthru bleeding. A real nuisance. It can also happen if the timing of when you take it every day is not exact.

2 Posts

LAB  ·  26 May 2009

I'm taking microlite for 4 mths now. I am due to finish this pack in 3 days time however I have been experiencing light bleeding for the past 4 days or so. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal or is it something I should get checked out with a GP? I have not had this problem before.

1 Posts

mgsem  ·  26 May 2009

Hey,

I'm 26 and I've started taking Dianette, into my second month now but I'm very worried about the side effects it has on me. I'm starting to think I'm crazy. I cry for no reason, snap at people over nothing; I am super paranoid and highly over sensitive, very tired and worn out. I'd get violent mood swings that would throw me into a rage that I have never exhibited before - it has come to a point that i'm driving my boyfriend mad too. I Want to be on the pill but not if this is whats going to happen to me? Does it get better after a couple of months, do i stick it out or Bin them asap? Please help if anyone is having or had similar side effects?

MGSEM!

1 Posts

chlo  ·  22 May 2009

ive been on the new pill,microgynon now for only a week. i can off yasmin that id been on for 2yrs because of headaches and mood swings.since being on microgynon ive lost my sex drive,feel very angry at times and feel a little depressed.is this normal?

5 Posts

veron xx  ·  29 Apr 2009

iv been bleeding 27 days now!! i came off overanette 2 months ago as myself and partner are trying to have a baby!!! i havnt stopped bleeding since and the doctor just told me 2 wait it out after giving me pills to stop the bleeding that didnt work!! :( im a bit frightened but as i am only 21 the doc sed not to wory bout any cancers or lumps!! any advice????xx

3 Posts

Ash18  ·  28 Apr 2009

I'm going on holidays on the 6th of June for a week. I have a prescription for Microlite but if I take it on the 1st day of my period I'll have my period on holidays(which i dont want!) My next period is due the 19th of May(without going on the pill) and I was just wondering is there any way I can take the pill without having my period on holiday! Also my period started today so it's too late to start during this cycle(I've a 4week cycle). Any advice would greatly be appreciated!  

Anonymous  ·  18 Nov 2008
Anonymos,the sequence is right yes.
If you got sick when on your 7 day break., well you wouldn't be taking the pill on the break anyway so as long as it was not withing 24 hours of your last pill then you are protected. Not sure if it is the same with antibiotics. You would need to have your perscribing GP confirm that.

Anonymous  ·  17 Nov 2008
I've been on the pill for the last year, i always start it on the day that i last took it the previous week is that right???
Also i got sick on the third day when on the break so i hadnt taken the pill, am i still protected??

Anonymous  ·  17 Nov 2008
Hi Purple, what you need to do there is continue on with your pills for an extra 2 or 3 days so that you stop your pill on saya Friday and et your period then on Monday - as long as you remember to start your pill again then a week later

Anonymous  ·  16 Nov 2008
I am on the pill & would like to change the day of the week which I have my period. I stop on a Wednesday, which means I always have it at the weekend. Does anyone know if you can change the day?

37 Posts

cassy (BXF77525)  ·  12 Nov 2008
i was on the combined pill mircogyon 30 its was awful it gave me really bad migrains but everyone different .