Smoking worsens psoriasis

7 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

7 Posts

lilly  ·  29 Apr 2008
Hi
Just wanted to update this post, i recently got back into the smoking habit again and my psorasis flared up like crazy so despite what some 'experts' might say i think that smoking does have some kind of effect on P.

7 Posts

lilly  ·  14 Aug 2007
I gave up smoking 3 weeks ago and I have noticed a significant change in my psoriasis, I don't know if it's due to quitting or not. I said it to my dermatologist and she didn't seem to think that it had, actually what she said was that the books don't mention any link!!!

3 Posts

Jodie  ·  05 Sep 2006
I have been on and off the cigs for years and there is no change in my psoriasis. I have psoriasis since i was 2 years of age and i didn't smoke on till i was 15, my psoriasis were actually worst before the age of 15 so its bull to suggest smoking causes or makes psoriasis worst! give up smoking for your health not psoriasis as it will always be part of your life...

3 Posts

sten  ·  06 Apr 2006
Weight was a killer for me when I stopped smoking 15 years ago. After 1 1/2 years I smoked again, but the 25 lbs stayed there. By drinking 10 (ten) glasses of water (tap!) a day and adding an 1/4 tsp sea salt to every 2-3 glasses weight has dropped from 92 kgs to 86 in last two weeks! Look up Dr Batman on the net! I still smoke ~15/ day.

7 Posts

Molly  ·  05 Apr 2006
Off the cigarettes for 7 months and no change to my psoriasis. Only change is weight!

2 Posts

gus (mccormick)  ·  12 Jan 2006
stoped smoking six years no change

3 Posts

sten (FWH33088)  ·  12 Jan 2006
The reason for the expected result may well be that smoking is simply an acidic intake. Since there are so many other acidifying food and drink intakes,(coke,7up) some much stronger than heavy smoking, I at least don't get confused, although I try to keep in the teens when it comes to cigs.
Apparently sugar, alcohol, meat are very strongly acidifying substances Lack of exercise and/or alkali supplements to compensate for such acidic intakes provides a body out of balance. Here a link I came across listing a number of problems - including eczema - that may well be be associated with an acidic body environment.

http://www.acid-alkalinediet.com/acidicph.htm

Incidentally I was diagnised with eczema, and when I didn't apply any cream on some places so it dried up, the doctor diagnosed it as psoriasis. It is vanishing slowly with lots of exercise and alkali supplements to keep saliva over pH 7.