Acne

257 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

1 Posts

tammyhiles  ·  04 Feb 2013

Generic Adoxa (Doxycycline) is a tetracycline antibiotic used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections, which include acne, periodontitis (gum disease), cholera, urinary tract infection, amebic dysentery, gonorrhea, and chlamydia. Besides, this medicine is also used to prevent malaria and pink eye (conjunctivitis). It works by interrupting the growth of bacteria

1 Posts

andyx  ·  01 Jul 2012

Hey Maya33. You can try invicible. I used it for few weeks and it treated me well. 

1 Posts

Maya33  ·  19 Mar 2012

I would love to know if anybody had experiences with keloid scars or acne scars. Any positive experiences with scar treatment creams in general? I have been facing the horror of acne scars from my college days. Somebody asked me to try the Invisible Scar Treatment Cream. Last week. She said that among all scar creams she has used the Invicible cream was the best! The scar cream reviews for this product is really good, should i try? Has anybody used the Invicible cream before????

1 Posts

carenlee  ·  15 Feb 2012

I struggle with acne. But i use some homemade treatments for acne like regular washing, enough rest, apply some cooked oatmeal to the face for 15 minutes, apply either apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to a clean skin.....etc

1 Posts

Khloe  ·  05 Jan 2012

The skin cells are constantly replaced. Therefore, need a constant supply of nutrients for the production of new cells. This makes the skin especially sensitive to nutritional deficiencies, especially protein, essential fatty acids, vitamin A and C, iron and zinc.

2 Posts

Clarkie1  ·  21 Feb 2011

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they had treatment for acne in their 40's as a woman that is related to hormone levels.  Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated. 

5 Posts

jamieH  ·  01 Oct 2010

Hi to all, I've experienced severe acne before and have done many treatments which doesn't work. So depressing. Now, I'm kinda satisfied of the treatment I'm into right now, it's improving, the acne is almost gone. Aside from that, I'm also having a proper diet in order not to have breakouts.

1 Posts

caramelo  ·  09 Jun 2010

Hi I was just browsing various discussions and saw the various pieces of information about Acne. I have a longterm sufferer of this debilitating condition. From the age of 14 I was afflicted with bad skin. There were times when I was afraid to look in to the mirror. This had a very damaging effect on my self confidence both as a teenager  and an adult. Even in to my 30's I continued to suffer sporadically from outbreaks. Also I spent a fortune on any lotion or potion that I thought would help improve my skin. About 4 years ago I came across an article on the benefits of using laser to treat skin problems. I had already used laser for hair removal and decided to look into it. I contacted a doctor in Dublin. I went for a consultation with him and decided to try two sessions and see the effect. I was absolutely delighted with the result. The redness around my T zone reduced dramatically after two sessions, in all I have had 4 sessions and now no longer suffer from breakouts. In fact recently I was getting my make up done for a wedding, the make up artist told me I had lovely skin and I almost burst into tears as I never ever expected to receive such a compliment. I just wish I had discovered this treatment years ago.. I would recommend to anyone to give it a try.

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  27 Oct 2009

Hi Merry, your daughter is jot really too youg to be suffering from this. It usually starts aroud the onset of puberty. Clearasil is very strong and does tend to be drying so a mild cream based clanser might be better but to be honest if it is hormone based - as most acne tends to be in teens and pre-teens, there's only so much a cleanser can do. It may start to vary with thje hormonal pattern by thr time her periods start, if they haven't already and certain acne patterns can be hereditary .

1 Posts

Merry  ·  27 Oct 2009

I'm new to this and I hope you can help! I have a 10 year old daughter who has just recently started to get pimples/spots on her face.. Is she very young to be getting spots already? I was lucky as a teenager and hardly got any but my husband's family suffered badly and I'm worried that she will suffer the same. I have bought Clearasil face wash but will this be too harsh for her young skin. Please help!

1 Posts

Hev  ·  29 Sep 2009

Hi everyone,

I have read many of the posts on this site and gone through the frustration of having acne most of my life. My treatment started with sulphur tablets that used to burst in my throat and sulphur lotion that smelt vile Yelland I was only 13 at the time. I've used sun ray lamps and now worry about the cancer implication and then went through a period of abstaining from anything whilst I had my children and encountered the most awful blind boils and other spots all over my back, chest and face.

About two years ago (still with bodily acne) I had another nasty outbreak on my face and I had noticed that whilst I had been taking penicillen based antibiotics for a chest infection the condition had cleared up really well. I went to the doctor and he listened and put me on a strong dose of amoxycillin. This seemed to get rid of all the sore ones and the infected ones and I also mentioned that an over the counter gel that Boots used to do, helped to control the outbreaks on my skin. As this was no longer available he suggested the use of PanOxyl Aquagel 5 ( there is also a weaker versian if it reacts too fiercly). You need to follow a firm cleansing routine:- wash face/(*body using a soap free facial cleanser, I use 'Garnier Skin Naturals, Pure Deep Clean Wash, antibacterial for sensitive skin', then rinse really well with warm (not hot) water and pat dry. Follow with the Panoxyl gel but don't just apply to the bad areas but all over the facial area (obviously avoiding the mouth and eye area) then leave it to dry. Then using a very light oil free moisturiser apply gently all over the area and again leave to dry. I also found that light exercise regularly, so that i was not perspiring to copiously and avoiding extreme temperatures was better. I  have a warm not hot showers and use a body wash such as *Sanex  or a laureth free one e.g. Jason available from health food shops. I have been advised to take 2x 250mg erythromycin a day (both in the morning). After suffering since I was 13 I can now say (though not totally without medication) I have very, very few spots and my skin texture is a lot softer. No nasty side effects. I eat a reasonably sensible diet and try not to consume too much in the way of dairy produce, using soya milk where possible and I don't eat Indian curries except on special occasions (hot food ( chilli hot)can create flushing of the skin which opens the pores and creates sebum build up as can too much alcohol. This summer for the first time in my life I wore a low back dress and strappy T shirts because I didn't feel self conscious of my skin!!! the other point I will mention though I'm not sure it will effect it , I use the Mirena coil which is a hormone containing one. so I don't encounter bleeds.

I fully understand that we are all very different in what may or may not work for us but just thought that sharing my relative and two year clear success might just make a difference to some of you out there!

Good Luck!!!Laughing

5 Posts

Laura (TER55131)  ·  27 Oct 2008
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problems. Since taking Mennocycline- Mennocin for my Acne, I am on it about two- Three months and i have been having really irregular period patterns since. Just wondering is this normal. Be great to get some Info.

2 Posts

Paul (PHH76728)  ·  18 Oct 2008
Iím a 28yr old male that suffered with cystic acne for years. Iíve been on every acne antibiotic under the sun, with only moderate success. As with any antibiotic treatment it was only temporary relief. 2yrs ago I tried a product with active ingredient called Bacteriocin. All is I can say is god bless this treatment. It took 6-7 weeks for the treatment to start working, even though the company said 4 weeks for results.
Iíve been using the product for a couple of years, and it did wonders for my complexion.
The product is expensive itís from a skin care Lab in Canada, B.C.

Anonymous  ·  19 Aug 2008
Mahesh, just to note, there is another forum on Acne on this website.
Not sure why the two are combined / merged.,
I came across it by accident from the main page and there are several contributors there too so if you do a search for it you may well find it very helpful

80 Posts

Elizabeth (PZN71863)  ·  14 Aug 2008
Hi Mahesh,

No problem at all, i would definatly recommend low fat yogurt, brocolli, cheese etc for your calcium deficiency, mum mum was diagnosed as having the condition you get before oesteoperosis and she has a yogurt everyday now even though she didn't like it before. Don't forget cereals for breakfast most mornings no matter what.

The cream i use is called "Brevoxyl" Benzoyl peroxide is the active ingredient and the one i have is 4% which is what i would recommend for you. This one is a really good one as doesn't stain any of my clothes like the previos one i used did. If you ask at the counter at any chemist for this cream or a similar one. Make sure you use the soap as like i said even that helps, never use anything moisterising (washes or creams) on that area were you have the spots as it will make your skin more oily and therefor cause pimples. Eat lots of fruit and not greasy foods as they can make your skin greasy i think.

4 Posts

Mahesh (XGK73459)  ·  13 Aug 2008
Hi Liz, thanks for the good advice from past experience.

Deficiency of calcium in me, has been there since childhood, i did not realise this until i was really really low and i had a seizure due to that. After having been tested at hospital for a week, turns out i will have to be on calcium tablets for lifetime and eat right food for calcium. This is why i'm watching what i eat to take care of those pimples and at the same time keep up calcium level.
Which cream do you use please?

80 Posts

Elizabeth (PZN71863)  ·  13 Aug 2008
I would just recommend an apple every day something like brayburn, nice and fresh and crunchy and juicy. Crisps could possibly cause the odd spot, but there shouldn't be a problem with satsumas etc, i have heard on other sites that people have said that oranges and orange products trigger their acne, what i could suggest is if you are getting them all the time (pimples) then try cutting out one food at a time and see if it makes a difference, food may very well not make a difference at all but it may do. You could try cutting out the crisps for a while and having more friut instead and see if it makes any difference. I use the cream on my back everyday after soap and i find it works and makes a difference but i still occasionaly get the odd spot, until i grow out of the acne prone skin i don't think they will go completely. I find at my time of month i always get one or two on my back. Try the cream on your back with the soap and apart from the crisps i can't see anything wrong with what you are eating for lunch. Try whole meal bread and baked potatoes with beans and just try to eat healthily etc there's not much else we can do. If it is serious go to the doctor. Let us know if the cream works. I was wondering what made the doctor test your calcium levels if you don't mind sharing with me?

4 Posts

Mahesh (XGK73459)  ·  12 Aug 2008
For lunch I have sandwiches, salt and vinegar crisps, with fresh Orange Juice. Just wondered if salt/vinegar and OJ clash for pimples? Its just I think some food do clash in some ways.
I have tangerine or satsuma after lunch, is that also good for calcium and pimples?

80 Posts

Elizabeth (PZN71863)  ·  08 Aug 2008
I would recommend drinking a glass of orange and an apple every day if you like these foods, or any other fruit fuice that contains vit c or take a vit c tablet every day instead but make sure you get plenty of vit c as this is vital for healthy skin and helps keep the elasticity etc in the skin. I always make sure i have orange juice everyday, also your stomach needs to be a citrusy environment to digest carbs so is nice to have after a meal. Also whole weats and high fibre foods and hot water with a slice of lemon instead of white bread and tea or coffee. I don't think tea hurts as long as you have it without sugar, it has antioxidants which will help flush out toxins but leave all sugery foods to a minimum.

Anonymous  ·  08 Aug 2008
As a first option, I would say make sure you're getting enough water - 2 litres a day should be your aim. Not tea or coffee as these are diuretics, or juice of soft drinks, but plain water.
Some would say fruit and veg help. It hasn't been proven how effective they are on grade 3 or severe acne but they cannot hurt certainly.

4 Posts

Mahesh (XGK73459)  ·  08 Aug 2008
Is there certain food than I should eat as well as working on the external skin?

Anonymous  ·  07 Aug 2008
Mesh if you have an autonomic calcium deficiency and the doctor is treating it, s/he needs to be made aware of the acne, diagnose it and establish if it is connected to any compund in your medication. Otherwise they need to either treat it or refer you for diagnosis and testing.

80 Posts

Elizabeth (PZN71863)  ·  07 Aug 2008
Hi mesh,

Try washing the areas well with a soap and water everyday and applying benzol peroxide cream that you can find over the counter at the chemist, the cream will give instructions on how to use it and you can use once or twice a day but i recommend that you use more than sparingly as directed on the packet and apply enough that it will actually do the job but still soaks in. It works by drying up the oils in the skin that cause the blocked sybacious glands. Also the soap helps to remove oil from the skin, there are differnt strengths of the cream so start with the lowest and if need be go stronger. This is ideal if you only get them sometimes as you stated and don't feel it is neccesary to take medication. Also to help sore boils that don't have a head try dabbing on tcp for at least 2 mins and in the morning it will be much better.

Good luck

4 Posts

Mesh  ·  05 Aug 2008
What can be done if sometimes I get Acne on back of head and top back. At the same time I have calcium deficiency (for which i've taken doctor provided tablets)

Anonymous  ·  09 Jul 2008
Benzol peroxide - that's what I was thinking of.

I believe that there are facial washes which also contain a mild benzol peroxide, without stripping the sebacious oils from the face (that can cause glands to over produce - causing acne) so that might be worth asking your pharmacist about. Vitamin C is one vitamin that the body cannot store so you need to have a good source of it pretty much every day or almost every day.
Dianette, from the experience of many people I know is great for hormonal acne, and gp's and gyne's recommend it for the same purpose and not just in the teens. So the pill might be something to consider unless you're trying for a baby or there are medical reasons why you can't take it (clots., smoking etc)
Some people find sunshine helps to clear it up and some not but be careful in the heat as excess sweat may aggravate the pores - as can some sun creams as Elizabeth has experienced.
I wonder does vitimin C in moisturiser help because it form part of a AHA (fruoit acid) which helps sped up skin turnover at cellular level. Of course it also improves poor healing.

One thing I would say tho' is to have it assesed, just to a) make sure it is acne and not roscea, any type of contact dermatitis, an allergy or adult eczema- the latter of which can be easily mistaken for acne and these require very different treatment
and b) to asses what type of acne it is.
Unitl you know exactly what you a dealign with - it is very hard to deal with it.
A competent assessment may save you time, trouble and money.

80 Posts

Elizabeth (PZN71863)  ·  08 Jul 2008
Anna i was thinking about that myself and realized that people must be getting fed up of it. Very sorry.

I agree with G though that if it is serious acne go to the doctor and discuss it with him, what medication you have tried and what new med you could try.

Also a cream called benzol peroxide (over the counter, there are different strengths ask the pharmacy and follow instructions, it can take a month to work but it does work on mild to moderate acne) may help. or a change of pill if you are on one as one type of pill for me cause severe acne on my face. Some pills also help acne so that is another way a change of pill may help.
discuss with your doctor the cream and pill if this in a good option for you.

Also i have heard on the tv, etc that consuming a lot of dairy like milk, can make it worse, so if you have been drinking a lot of milk, cut down on that, and maybe try a high fibre diet also, as i suggested original in my first post, drinking lots of water and watching what you eat may help.

Also warm weather and sun for me can make it worse. Also a high protein diet has been said to trigger it, and i have experienced this, so i would recommend, carbs as the main part of each meal and some protein, lots of fruit and vitimin c. i belive that vitimin c inside your body and applied in a miosteriser on a cleansed toned face can help. Vitimin c is essentail for healthy skin and amune system. Take a mature diet not a teenager diet. Healthy eating etc. you can still eat chocolate and pizza as these have been proven to have no effect.

Anonymous  ·  08 Jul 2008
Point taken Anna - I've digressed.

You don't mention your age but if you're in your teens hormones would be the most likely factor.

The basics in relation to diet, have I believe already been covered and you need to discount any allegeric reactions - to anything from detergents to skin care products.

A numbr of poster mentioned topical lotiosn containign bezyl that may help. Over and above that, it may depend on your lifestyle - aircon, heating, getting enough sleep etc and genetic factors.

For serious acne, just as you would for any serious medical problem, see an appro[priately qualified medical professional.

Any child who has transitioned to solids, providing the gag reflex has developed, can enjoy trying out pieces of the same food as adults - except of foods containing allergens of course. I have plenty of experience myself on what tastes and textures young children will enjoy. Certain colours even will interest them. Of course healthy eating while pregnant - including getting your calcium and folic acid s important both for yourself and your baby. It is important in that reard to ensure that excess morning sickness is treated seriously and promptly and any deficiencies are addesssed.

To elizabeth and g, this forum is supposed to be about acne, not the best way to obtain calcium from various foods. Can we please go back to the topic as my skin is crap and I could do with some constructive tips. You can start your own forum on calcium, vitamin D etc... since you're both so interested in the topic.

Elizabeth, it seems you have restated my point entrely about vitamin D - and bear in mind also that women who had used total sunblock in hot countries suffered osteoporosis many years later as a result of vitamin D deficiency. With regard to your point on young children enjoying family meals - if you actually READ my post you will see that i WaS ACTUALLY AGREEING with your point.
On folic acid, it is supposed to be taken from the time you are TTC and for the first trimester with a lower requirement for half of the second trimester.

80 Posts

Elizabeth (PZN71863)  ·  08 Jul 2008
I am not confused about vitimin d at all, the facts are that you can make vitimin d from the uvb rays of the sun by standing out in it without sunblock on and ok with arms and legs out good point, thank you. No it is not enough in Great Britain as we do not get enough sunlight for this and none in the winter, which is why we need to eat foods high in vitimin d such as oily fish, (fish oil suppliments if you don't like fish), milk etc. i have always stated that we should eat foods rich in vitimin d, i have also stated that we can make vitimin d from the sun, breastfed babies are given vitimin d, as formula is fortified with it and breastmilk is not and there for if the mother isn't getting enough the baby will be deficient. i never said that we need the sun for vitimin d and without it we would be deficient, we need both obviously in this country. You were the only one that has said that we NEED THE SUN TO USE VITIMIN D, then contridicted yourself by agreeing with what i said about getting it from food, before and after you made that comment. You are entirely wrong on this, and you are entirely wrong if you think that a baby of 12 months and over can't have family meals. My daughters first birthday is in January, on christmas day a few weeks before her first birthday she ate a mashed up (not puried) meal of turkey, potato's, sprouts and other veg, with little gravy and ate every mouthfull. She was eating toast and cornflakes and porridge and weetanix and beans on toast and jacket potato's with beans and cheese from the skin (mashed) even from this early age, all you need to do is give them a small portion of what ever you are having and mash or blend with a hand blender. Obviously some things you wouldn't give them, like curry's and chillies and pies etc, but there is nothing wrong with a little bit of pizza at pizza hut on a familu day out. I wouldn't give them chips from chip shop or any other fast food though you are right about that there was recently a program on tv about the biggest babies and one mother was feeding nothing but junk stating that her baby will eat a whole bag of chips. Thats just wrong. Eat healthly while you are pregnant and they are more likely to follow in those footsteps. Like i said my girl would eat anything and loved differnt meals and tastes, she was full and happy and getting all her vitimins from foods and dairy, no soy and no suppliments. Books are given out free to pregnant women and agian after the birth all you have to do is collect from boots. I had lots of information on what to feed and what not to feed and what not to eat myself. All pregant women should take a folic acid suppliment from even before conception and through the first trimster (im not sure how long for).

Funny I wasn't crazy about warm milk as a child and even now warm milk before bedtime is more likely to keep me awake than send me to sleep - due to the lowering of pepsin concentrrations needed to digest milk, as the day goes on, so I take most of my dairy before evening now. Sprouts I am fond of, with a little butter and spinach with cheese, i also like (altho I'm not meant to be eating it anymore). Cabbage and peas I would not eat and still don't and wasn't crazy about turnip.
Right there with you - sometimes I think parents who feed their children pizza, chicken nuggts and mashed potatoes are either uninformed about food or lazy. It's very true, young children (those old enough to have developed a gag reflex obviously) can join in with family meals and try out what adults eat. And can be introduced to a wide variety of flavours and textures - which adults enjoy. You're right, so what if they throw them on the floor and create a mess, sure can it be cleaned. Even infants who have moved onto solids can have pureed veg. Obviously introduced allergens like eggs or peanuts is not a good idea and some childree have food sensitivities - and these must always be respected and never forced. Yes, no child or teenager should have to worry that they must eat and drink lots of dairy to get calcium - or that they must eat lots of vegor fruit for vitamins and minerals but these things should all be available and be encouraged. Again, no one needs to go over the top with dairy - just recognise that it is an important part of the diet.

Never did I say that milk as the most important thig and if you imagien that my attitude has anything to do with the most vulerable and marginalised parents not having the support, education or resources which results in their children being on formula at 18 months and only eat weetabix and potato, you have one heck of a lot to larn about parental education and child development it would seem.
Milk is important *- I am glad you see that, but nthere is no one food that one could live on entirely.
I believe folic acid is being introduced, compulsarily, into bread here now for exactly that reason - many women don't supplement early enough in their pregnancies. If you read my opinions on supplement, above, which a doctor will confirm for you, it is that no healthy person should be supplementing in favour of dietary sources, nor should it be doine long term without medical supervision or recommendation - any responsible well qualified medical professinal - even a GP will confirm this. The first trimester of pregnancy is not long term and it is medically supervised - usually by your obs/gyn.

I don't think anyone believes your assertion my attitude will make the world rely on dairy.

Elizabeth, you seem a bit confused.
First you say that sunshine alone is not enough to get all the vitamin d we need, although it does help a lot - which I agreed with in the sense that sun is neccessary.
Then you say that people still over come their vitimin d deficiency entirely by standing in the sun for 10 to 20 mins - which I agreed with - with the proviso that the sun exposure is on arms and legs and it is every day - which in Ireland is not practical.
This is the reason why in Northern areas - such as Alaska and Finland, vitamin D is recommended for babies under 6 months who are solely breasfed - becuase clearlyu if they are not getting enough from brastmilk, they have no access to it from oyher forms of nutrition, such as solids or milk.
You latest link to the pdf did not work., nor did the originating URL.

I never mentoned heat destroying vitamins - this is true for vitamin c of course - but calcium is a mineral. Minerals are inert anf many have a heat (and cold) reaction.

Never once did I mention the over consumption of milk - I emphasised the important role of dairy in the diet in order to get enough calcium. Obviously, as I have already pointed out to you, the overcomsiumption of anything is not positive - including water or carrots.
If you are oversconsumning anything - you can easily and safely reduce your consumption of anything until you are consuming the correct amount to get the nutrients you need - this is NOT the samme as giving it up - obviously. I am glad you finally finally see the light and agree that no-one should be giving it up.
The build up of calcium likely to cause kidney stones has a much higher formation with the high concentration of calcium found in supplementation. The most common form of kidney stone is composed of calcium oxalate crystals - these are to be found far more commonly and in much higher contcentration in supplemeental calcium. Of course no healthy person should be supplementing in favour of dietary sources, nor should it be doine long term without medical supervision or recommendation - even a GP will confirm this.

80 Posts

Elizabeth (PZN71863)  ·  07 Jul 2008
Childen from weaning age should be given as many differnet friuts and vegetables and different types of freshly cooked foods as possible, if they don't like something then fine they don't have to eat eat, let them throw it on the floor. However i my daughter was not a fussy eater at all when she was 14 months she only had one beaker of milk a day in the evening before bed, she ate everything i gave her and loved my cooking and all the veg she ate, she was full happy and growing and that is the way it should stay forever, no child or teenager should have to worry that they must eat and drink lots of dairy to get calcium. They will get it from so many foods, my children certainly will, if me and my husband (in two months) have another baby together, i hope he/she is as good as my daughter was and i wil not worry everyday oh i have only given her one yogurt and one glass of milk today, she will be calcium deficient because it is rediclous and not true, we all know that children will get calcium form dairy and other sources, and yes it will form an im[ortant part of their growing childhood, but i won't be going over the top with the dairy, as i know exactly what a healthy varied vitimin enriched diet is. I have met parents in hostels that only feed their children mashed potato and weetabix and still on bottles at a year and a half, that is exactly the attitude that causes this, people like you insisting that milk is the most important thing. It is important, but no one could live entirely on milk, they would get seroius scurvy and other deficiency's. At least veg that contains calcium contains other very important vitimins like vitimin c and folic acid, very important to prevent spina difia in babies, cereals and green leafy veg are the only way to get this apart from suppliments, which all pregnatn women should take. despite your opinions on vitimin suppliments, which is also wrong. Your type of attitude will make the world rely on dairy.

80 Posts

For a start off i never said anything about giving chilren kayl and maybe they would prefere strawberry milk, howver maybe they will prefer the brocolli and sprouts to the strawberry milk, i used to hate strawberry or banana milk shakes and i hated warm milk of any kind. milk on its own was fine wtiht me but as i already said even from a baby my mum told me i used to scream for more sprouts and cabbage. a lot of cchildren are not fussy and love veg. the only veg i used to refuse to eat was peas and i used to gag on them, i also didn't like carrots very much but that was it everthing else veg was fine with me through out child hood, coliflower has always been my favourite and i also now even more so adore broccoli. I hate parents who can't be bothered and always feed there children nothing but mashed potatoe, babies can join in with family meals and eat most of what adults can, baring salt and high salt foods. they especially love brocolli in a fish pie, blended up. Only some parents have fussy eating children not many in %.

80 Posts

You cleary said that you need the sun to use vitimin d, in other words without it it is useless, which is what you implied go back and read it. If that was true what would be the point in giving breastfed babies for the first year vitimin d drops, which all breasfed babies have. Also more than one website said that 75% of the population don't consume dairy and not vegan, whiki was one of them i think, but a lot of the website i have sugeested that you read which stated that kayl and brocolli are high in calcium, were scientific sites, one even had a phone number for a health care nurse to give you advise on vitimins, the fact and only facts i want to make clear are.

A. if not overcooked these green veg apart form spinihc are good source of calcium including seeweed etc, if over cooked they will loose this yes but if follwing the cooking guidlines and cooking for 7 mins only the water will still be clear and all the vitimins remain, and a lot fo vitimamins there are other thatn calcium, none of these are cooked out unless over cooked. FACT

b. If a teenager was over consuming milk and icecream and told to stop doing so for the reason of acne, like the doctor did on tv. They could easily and safetly without all the problems you are mentioning get enough calcium from a mix of dairy and veg, and bread and other baked foods etc.

I don't know where you are getting your information from but you most definatly can't prove it as no one else on the whole of the websites and all the books published has the same opinoions as you. Yes dairy is a great food, no one in my opinion should cut it out. but on the other hand calcium can be obtained from other sources.

Kidney calcium stones as i have pointed out are from an excess amount of calcium which can come from any source even dairy.

Anonymous  ·  07 Jul 2008
Of course anything is bad in excess - carrots can be poisonous - if you eat 7kg of them, even water can cause hyponatremia, if you comsume gallons of it. Dosage and balance if the key. A small amount of sugar is neccessary but excess is not good for anyone, as with any substance.

Furthermore, as I have already explained to you,I never said we needed excess dairy, but that it was very important for our calcium needs, which it is. Aside from bioavailabilty. Food is onlky nutritous if somebody eats it. Which would you say its easietr, by and large to get a child to eat - a plate of cabbage or glass of strawberry milk. No-one in their right mind is going to start a battle of wills with their child about kale - unless they want them to have food issues.
With regard to your last post - you are contradicting yourself - again.
You say, we do not need the sun to use vitamin d, then you say, altho it does help a lot. Never once did I suggest that the sunshine alone was not enough to get all the vitamin d we need. I do know for a fact thiat sun exposure is a requirement - a fact discovered all too late by women in the Australian study who used total sunblock.

I don't knoiw where you're getting the notion that dairy is high in cholesterol but on this you are entirely wrong. Lipidase choleserol (the cholesterol you get from certain foods) cannot biologically be contained in somethign which is only 1- 2%fat which is the case, with skimmed and fortified skimmed milks. No dair,y is not part of fruit anfd veg, everyone knows this but it is still very importat as a nurtitional factor - which is something the food pyramin also recognises - three portions of dairy a day.
75% of the worlds population don't consume dairy - where on earth did you get that ridiculous statistic from - and please don't quoote some vegan website?
People clearly do not over come their vitimin d deficiency entirely by standing in the sun for 20 mins - if that were the case vitamin d deficiency would not occur - it does. You ned to be standing the sun with arm and legs exposed for 20 minutes every day - clearly not possible for half the year in northern climates. Fish oils, added to your diet, if you can take them, are a good ay to supplement in the winter months indeed. As regards a high protein diet, lets get one thing absolutely stright, the vast majority of women do not get adequate protein for their daily needs, this is accepted even by doctors in the U.S. If you are active (and lets face it barring a disability or medical condition, most people who care about their health will try to be active) you need 1g of protein per kilo of body weight, in order to maintain healthy muscle mass. The requiement is higher for men of course. In order wotrd if you are 70kg, you need 70g of protein. If you're training for a marathon or tour of Ureland bicycle race, this requirement goes up of course. Of you eat too much protein, it is excreted in urea (urine). It is only when yoiur protein intake goes above 2g and instances where turnover is low (you're inactive) that the excess acts as a kidney stressor.

If you need constant supplementation and you do not have a medical condition, then it is evident that you clearly need to look at your diet and examine why it is deficient in what you are supplementing - and learn how to corect these deficiencies. I know all aboyut calcium fortified orange juicce thank you. I don't need it becuase I get most of my calcium from dairy. I nevcer dsaid that boircolli and kale were high in oxalic acid just tat they contained a similar chemical compound which blocks and binds the absorbtion of calcium. This, as already explained, is released at high temperatires - the same high temperatures however destroy the mineral compounds you are seekign to absorb. It is calcium in supplement format - i.e. which is not broken down properly qwhich causes kidneyt stones - which is why it is almost unheard of for the same reason among people with a high dairy intake. Supplementing with anything for a year or two - unless perscribed or accompanying a medical condition is most certainly not a short time in clinical or medical terms.
If a teen was told anything, it would be to increase their dairy intake considering the pitifully low calcium levels among spo many teens - particularly young women.
I don't beleive there is any blood or genetic tsting available to predict a persons predisposition to kidney stones. However, if a young person as told to cut back on dairy beucase they were overconsuming it - and hence nbeeding to cut back to the right lelvels - then why would they need calcium supplements? They would only need to supplement if the were being perscribed a diet deficient in it - anfd I can't see any responsible doctor doing this.
The calcium content of Kale at 150mg - is for Kale when raw (this is case for nutritional listings) - cooking destrys the mineral content - not vitamin, mineral content.
I would love to see any evidence that magnesium inhibits calcium absorbtion - as for protein doing so - no evidence to prove his. In fact in order to make certain vegetable proteins compete - in terms of beign a complete amino acid, milk is a requirement - hence milk in porridge of milk being required in order to make kidney beans a complete protein. Any qualified sports nutritionist can confirm this for you.
I don't use salt in cooking myself, preferring to flavour with herbs and pices. However, as has been repeatedly explained to you, iodone is not a factor in auto-immune hypothyroidism - which is the predominant form of hypothyroisism in most developed countries. In fact, it can be a factor in thyroid storm.

80 Posts

Elizabeth (PZN71863)  ·  04 Jul 2008
We do not need the sun to use vitamin d, that is completely wrong, i don't know where you got that from. The sunshine alone is not enough to get all the vitamin d we need, although it does help a lot. See http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/healthinfo/library/pdf/Nutrition/605828_Vitamin_D-The_Sunshine_Vitamin_2006-08.pdf

And you are completely wrong about milk being the most bioavailable and the best source of calcium, we do need some yes as a healthy diet of dairy foods, but we can eat less dairy and include leafy greens and tinned fish with the bones as well to get our daily amount. It all adds up like i have said flour by law has calcium added, so a lot of foods will contain wheat flour thus calcium in small amounts. i really dont believe we need to consume lots of dairy everday to achieve our calcium intake and all proffesionals will agree.