Make up- is it bad for your skin?

15 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

Anonymous  ·  07 Apr 2006
I think it is femine to wear some make up and i think it goes one a glow

Anonymous  ·  06 Apr 2006
It dos no harm at all provided you clean it off gently and always always wear a moisturiser.

771 Posts

fifi  ·  06 Apr 2006
All I know is that at the age of 33 I know a lot of girls in their very early 20's who wear make-up on a regular basis. I cant believe the amount of wrinkles & lines on their face especially around the eye area. Im proud to say that I dont have any & I like to think its because I wear make-up only on very rare occasions.

7 Posts

Molly  ·  05 Apr 2006
I can't use anything on my face. I've tried several different types of make-up and moisturisor but everything makes my skin go red and blotchy. Even water does this. And in regards to testing on animals I would rather my skin get blotchy then having those poor little creatures suffer for our vanity.

6 Posts

Orla (FQM11147)  ·  18 Jun 2004
It gives teenagers spots but if you dont hav greasy skin (lucky you) then the pores produce less moisture so wearin make up is grand. It depends on the state of your skin and your diet, as in if you like eatin greasy stuff then let your skin BREATHE PLEASE!

Anonymous  ·  16 Jun 2004
I've heard make-up damages your skin after wearing it for twelve hours.Is this true?Also how can the skin breathe under all that paint?

strange to find this discussion in a so -called serious website! All the comments so far are just like this one , personal and not based on any scientific fact... Where are the EXPERTS from Irish Health

They also test them on yeast-like culture and skin grown under test conditions in a lab (test-tube).

Just like to tell you all that most cosmetic firms now do not test their products on animals they test them on humans. I used to work for a Dermatology unit in the UK in which I used to test cosmetic products. I got paid for the trouble of course!

So how safe are "cruelty-free" products? Even if I were to cover up my skin so that it couldn't do any of its functions, I would like to think that it had been tested somewhere. Think thalidomide, think untested war paint.

There are l;oadsof excellent cosmetics outt here that are cruelty free. remember, they also used to test moisturiser on animals

A moisturiser with SPF will protect your skin better than make-up. Tho' skin condition as you age is as much a genetic as an environmental factor. Make-up is bad for tyour skin if you allow it to block your pores.

If make-up was a good idea, then I don't think they would need to test it on rabbits first.

Personally I don't think it is.
I use a make-up with that is SPF15 so this actually protects my skin. Also in the winter a good make-up will also protect your skin from the harsh elements. I know allot of people that have never worn make-up and you can tell, as they have a very weather beaten look about them, this also depends on how much time you spend outside. you can actually buy a tinted moisturiser, (a cross between both) but a daily routine of cleansing, toning and moisturising is essential, and remember to take off your make-up at night.

Anonymous  ·  05 Jun 2004
Is wearing make up bad for your skin?