Facial rash or blush?

22 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

Anonymous  ·  23 Aug 2008
can anyone tell me where i can get horascopic sympathectomy operation done in Ireland as i am desperate and blushing is starting to ruin my life socailly and workwise. it is really getting me down. I have had years of it but it is getting worse all the time and i now dread work in the morning for fear of blushing in front of my collegues which happens regularly. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated

4 Posts

kaz  ·  08 Mar 2008
hi i have the same problem. i'm 43 and have blushed cronically all my life. i've had all the medication thats out there seroxat prozac proprananol and betal blockers. i am trying eradicane at the minute but i dont think its working. ive had the ets operation as well and that was usless and a waste of money. when i blush i go really red and blotchy and my neck stays red for ages after. its really terrible. its ruining my life. i fell in love with a guy when i was 15 but it ended cos he said i was acting strange. i've always thought the world of him and some years later i saw him and he seemed really pleased to see me and all i wanted to do was talk to him and tell him how i felt but i was so embarressed i pretended i hadnt seen him and walked away bright red, he now doesnt try to speak to me anymore and i feel hearbroken about it. can somebody please help me. i have heard that botox can help. has anyone tried it or has anyone tried clonidine and does that work. i am also interested to hear how the antacid tablets work with the bicarb in. please help me as i feel so low and have even considered suicide because of this terrible problem thanks kaz,

1,950 Posts

Jane  ·  01 Nov 2006
Sea Otter, the exact same thing happens to my husband. It took us years to figure out the trigger but its definately sugar, especially sugary drinks, either hot or cold.
His face will completely flush up in a bright red colour and he gets terribly embarrassed.
After checking out non invasive methods of treating it, we now realise it is the body trying to tell us that it is under stress & not able to deal with all this sugar. With him, it shows an imbalance in his pancreas.
He went for Complimentary Therapies in a vague attempt to see if they would help and to his surprise found that reflexology actually helped him to deal with it.
It also helped his body to restore its natural balance whilst making him more aware of his body. He now reads the signs rather than ignoring them & is aware that if he abuses sugar in his diet he may well end up diabetic.
It is nice to know that he is not alone. He thought he was the only one in the entire world suffering from this problem.

Anonymous  ·  01 Nov 2006
I have been reading some of the mesages and suddenly see some light at the end of the tunnel with my severe blushing problem. could someone please tell me where in Ireland you can have done the procedure "endoscopic transthoracic sympathicotomy". or a contact of how to aquire information regarding it

Anonymous  ·  19 Oct 2006
I have facial blushing and it is affecting my life in a really negative way. Surgery is a last option for me but I am now seriously considering it so that I can improve my quality of life and experience life without all the stress that comes with fear of blushing and the shame that comes after the blushing. I would really appreciate if the person who wrote in on 27/02/2006 called anonymous could let me know where they had the operation. Thanks.

Anonymous  ·  27 Feb 2006
I am a 29 year old female who has suffered from excessive blushing for over 10 years. Reading all these messages has made me realise with some ashtonishment that I am not actually alone in this and that there are infact others going through the same thing. I underwent a thorascopic sympathectomy operation in 2001 for this condition, after trying everything from prescribed medication such as seroxat, hypnotherapy sessions and visits to a counsellor; all of which did not help at all. I am pleased to say that my 2 operations (each 1 to treat each side of the face) were succesful and has all but transformed my life. Some say that surgery for this condition is too extreme an option but prior to having this done, I would avoid all social situations for fear of a blushing attack, I would blush for no reason while sitting with friends and even family and this debilitating condition resulted in me losing all my self confidence. Now, I hardly ever blush- probably no more than the 'average' person blushes and now I can finally be ME, something I havent been able to do since the age of 18!!
I found the effects of the operation were instant- after my left side was treated, only afew days after the op I had a blushing attack while standing in a queue in a bank. I was amazed to realise that the right side of my face turned bright red and hot as usual but the left side remained normal and absoultely blush free. I was ecstatic!!! I had the other side treated 2 months later.

142 Posts

sea otter  ·  23 Oct 2005
My daughter has had this problem for years. It has been narrowed down to exposure [eating] to sulfites, monosodium glutamate, aspartame and other excitotoxins. Even the junk in a bit of sugar-free chewing gum is enough to set it off. It then recurs randomly for several hours.

Anonymous  ·  21 Oct 2005
Can't believe so many suffer from this too. It is so embarrassing, i always come out in red patches, on my face neck arms stomach and for no reason at all, Is there anything that can be done-where would one buy a green concealer

Anonymous  ·  22 Mar 2005
I get this rash too when in a social setting or when nervous. It appears on my neck back and arms in blothy patches. I went for hynotherapy and it doesn't seem to be working at all. Im starting to believe now that nothing can be done about this horrible rash that's taking over my life!!!!

Anonymous  ·  22 Jan 2004
Sounds very familiar. I often get red blotches on my cheeks, down along my neck, on my chest and on my upper arms. I have found that it mainly occurs on areas that i got badly sunburnt at one time or another. It always appears if i'm in a rush or if i'm doing a presentation. You can't let it affect you too much. I would use a small amount of green concealer if it appears in the rush to go out but i wouldnt let it stop me wearing particular clothes as it usually goes down after awhile.

Anonymous  ·  10 Jan 2004
I have this problem also, a little on my face but mainly on my neck. An acrylic sweater definitely added to the problem on two occasions. Being in a warm/hot environment makes it worse. Wearing cooler clothes helps - cotton tops etc.. It may be change-of-life related also as suggested by Christine. The burning, when it becomes unbearable, responds to antihistimine (piriton). In the summer I use a sunblock on these areas (factor 30) and that prevents it getting worse during the warm weather. Would appreciate information on any other remedies. EB

Anonymous  ·  09 Jan 2004
I would like to know more about the surgery. I'm 26 and i get the rash on my neck when nervous, i also blush for no reason at all. I'm getting married in a few months and i would love to have a rash free neck in the photos, can anyone help? I'm desperate!!!!!

112 Posts

cjackson  ·  08 Jan 2004
Or if you don't fancy radical surgery of which a rare but irreversible side effect is heavy excessive body sweating, you could try reading Coping with Blushing by Dr Robert Edelmann (Sheldon Press).

Anonymous  ·  08 Jan 2004
Uncontrollable, severe Facial Blushing is a physical condition caused by over-activity in the so-called sympathetic nervous system, a system made up of nerves over which we have no control.  These uncontrollable nerves may become especially active due to social and emotional stimuli and may be very embarrassing.   People suffering from this condition may blush while meeting friends in the street, paying in a shop, or just sitting together with friends having lunch. Suddenly the face turns deep red, turning an ordinary social situation into an embarrassment, making social and even professional life almost impossible.  It is frequently present in patients with "social phobia."   Many patients report that this embarrassing problem can occur while giving a presentation in public, interrupting the train of thought, and causing an unacceptable handicap in their career development.

Uncontrollable, severe Facial Blushing can now be radically treated.  The simple procedure, called ETS (Endoscopic Transthoracic Sympathicotomy), is performed under general anesthesia. The procedure simply involves inserting a small endoscope as well as an electro-cautery device into the thoracic cavity and interrupting the nervous supply to the small blood vessels of the face.
Bad reactions to the procedure are rare.

This is probably due to social phobia, shyness and possibly a certain lack of self-confidence. An obvious temporary solution is to use make-up - green cream corrective base along then with some concealer which is the same skin tone as the face. A visit to a psychologist for cognitive behavioural therapy might also be useful. A lot of people suffer from this and there are some interesting Blushing websites out there offering real support.

A friend of mine suffered from flusing/blushing for no reason at school on her face & neck. She was told it was an allergic reaction to citrus fruits particulary oranges and grapefruit(which she ate a lot of). She since stopped and it has cleared up. Maybe you should explore this, have an allergy test or something. Hope this helps.

10 Posts

christine (kentucky46)  ·  07 Jan 2004
I HAVE A RED NECK IT IS LIKE A MAP WHEN I WAKE UP IN THE MORNING IT IS BURNING I USE A LOT OF MOISTURISER ON IT BUT TO NO AVAIL.I AM THINKING IS IT TO DO WITH THE CHANGE OF LIFE.

Anonymous  ·  07 Jan 2004
I get it on my neck and arms too. Mostly when I am out though as I find pubs very stuffy. For me it's just heat rash though and goes away after a while, so I don't know if I am any help

This is probably not much help to you but I think the same thing happens to me. More so to my neck though than my face.. big red blotches. It happens when I'm nervous but it also happens for no reason at all sometimes.
I think sometimes going from the cold to heat or a smokey room can bring it on. It is very embarrassing though. And it always comes to mind when choosing a top as I will try to keep my neck covered. It can affect my upper arms too, my face goes red but it's not as obvious as my neck.
Most of the time I don't even realise it is happening until I see myself in mirror and then I realise why people were looking at me funny.

Sounds like erythrophobia...blushing phobia which is a form of social phobia. If this problem only occurs in the presence of other people then that is the likely explanation. I share your problem! Currently undergoing cognitive behavioural therapy.

30 Posts

susan (Penny2)  ·  07 Jan 2004
My 19 year old daughter suffers from the same. she has been told theres nothing can be done and to use a green foundation. I'd be glad if anyone has another solution as she finds it highly embarrassing. I suffered myself until I was well into my 20s when it abated for no apparent reason. Keep me posted!

Anonymous  ·  05 Jan 2004
I am 23 years old and I have a problem that is very annoying. Now and again I break out in a heat rash on my face. No explanation for it ! I could be talking to someone one minute, and next thing I find this heat rash coming on. No pain, just heat. My face goes bright red in blotches on the cheeks and forehead and it takes a while for it to go back to normal. I have been told that it's just a blush, but want to know for definite if it could be something else. This has been going on for some time, but I always try to ignore it and get on with things. It can be very embarassing, as you can imagine. And it can effect self confidence. I'm going to see a doctor about it but I thought i'd try here first for an explanation. Any help would be appreciated.