Eczema and teething

27 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

25 Posts

Jim  ·  30 Nov 2006
Hi everyone looks like things have been quite on this site for a while. Just checking in Sean how are things with you - Mollie Bee - Marcy Pamela, Things with us are very good at the moment hope ye are doing good.

Anonymous  ·  14 Jun 2006
Eczema can be the result of a vaccine side effect. i.e. the 5-IN-1 vaccine.

25 Posts

Jim  ·  08 Jun 2006
Hi Molly glad to here you have got somewhere with your little chap. It's amazing I'm also attenting a Dietitian In Kiklenny this is the hospital my girl was in and where I was tought how to do the wet wrapping they are amazing in there. Dietitian has not mentioned Rice milk however they have told me they are going to discuss desensitisation which i've been told is injections of allergians into the body. My daughter also had a reaction last week with the heat The chemist told me the best cream is Nivea however after discussing with my GP he has told me to get a cream that is PABA Free this is a short term for an ingrediant in the cream - Chemist should be able to tell you - I think Vichi is the only one I could find that does not have this in it. (If you know of any can you let me know) My girl had an alergy test done and showed up very low this is why I can't understand why she has a bad reaction to milk. She seems to be able for it in small doses but not large amounts.
Great to speak to someone with the same problem keeps me going that I'm not the only one out there - Still no news on her medical card now has to be passed by the Medical section - Letter from Dietitian should help me to get it for her.

Take Care
Jim

5 Posts

MollieBee  ·  07 Jun 2006
Hi Jim

Thanks for all your tips. God, those wraps are fierce expensive! It's fierce they are not covered by medical card, it's a condition and not a mild one so it should be covered. Regarding the milk, if your daughter is having problems with cows milk have you spoken to your dietician about giving her rice milk and supplementing it with the required vitamins?? When we had our chap in Kilkenny back in February the dietician suggested this if he didn't like to drink the Neocate. He didn't mind the Neocate and is still on it. Check with your dietician, it's worth a try so then your child need not drink the cows milk at all.
We've an appointment in Crumlin tomorrow with our son in the dermatology clinic as a follow up to his stay there in April. We'll find out his results from his food alergy tests and his milk could be changed as in April they said he might not need to be on Neocate.
He had a ferocious flare up over the weekend, due to the heat perhaps so I had to up his steroid to Eumovate and then Betnovate for 48 hours, he's back now on Hydrocortozone. We're bathing him nightly in melted emulsifying ointment and Oilatum bath formula. I've found if I cream him up with Diprobase cream before the bath it keeps his skin from drying out in the water. The last couple of nights he has been able to actually play in the bath as opposed to scratch.
Also, check out www.eczemaclothing.com I ordered a sleep suit for severe eczema for our chap and it's brilliant, we're thrilled with it - it has reinforced panels behind the knees and around the feet and hands etc and is 100% pure cotton. It's 32.00 pounds sterling but well worth it. Check out the site - it has school uniforms and also pj's adn underwear for adults. Also, the clothes we buy for our children that say they are 100% cotton is not true as there is some kind of law that states that these clothes can contain up to 4% of any other substance and still claim to be 100% cotton - this is no good when our children can have such a severe reaction to other fabrics. So these clothes you can get from this company are the real McCoy and well worth it. Our chap has been sleeping a bit better and he's a fierce leg scratcher at night and he barely wakes up wearing this suit.

Marcy, have you tried other natural remedies - maybe some Calendula cream from the chemist or health shop, or mix up some bread soda to make a paste and put that in your bath water, or a make up some porridge from oats and when it cools squeeze out the liquid and use that in your bath water - oat milk is very good for the skin. Or what we used to do was tie up a load of porridge oats in a muslin square and let the tap water run through it into the bath and then use the muslin with the porridge still in it as a gentle sponge - messy but good.
As Jim says, what works for one may not work for another, that you keep trying. Actually, the guy who sold me my broadband said his best friend has fierce bad eczema and what works for him is to peel and slice a big potato (raw) and rub that over his skin and that was the only thing that gives him relief!!! I've never tried it but you never know, different things work for everyone!
Good luck in your endevours to find relief for you.

Thanks again Jim. Talk to you both later

Take Care
Mollie Bee xxx

25 Posts

Jim  ·  06 Jun 2006
Hi Marcy,

The thing with Eczema is what works for one may not work for another. Wet wrapping is very good a good health nurse should be able to show you how to do this time consuming but worth it

Jim

Anonymous  ·  05 Jun 2006
Ive been deeling with advanced eczema for 1 year and the doctors told me to put on like 5 different types if creams but none of them work.what do I do?

25 Posts

Jim  ·  01 Jun 2006
Hi Mollie Bee,

Hope things have worked out ok and your card was awarded. Mine has just been stopped and I'm fighting now for a new one. It's crazy Things were all going well as previously stated until 4 weeks ago cow's milk was introduced - It stared to curdle and I was told to stop for 2 weeks and try again did this and had no problems while on the Neocate I'm now into the second week again with cow's milk and 1 hand has got infected and the legs have all broke out again. I'm waiting on a call from the dietician to see what she has to say. I don't think her body is ready for the cow's milk and Now the Medical Card has been stopped I'm all over the place and worried. Don't get me wrong I'll buy the formula no problem but I don't see why Eczema should be treated any less that a serious disease it causes so much pain to the people who suffer with it and so much time is required to treat them. I wet wrapped the baby last night again and thankfully it caused some relief but I'll have to do it again tonight. Bandages are not covered on the medical card and they are expensive 19.00 for the arms and Legs 1 box and 42.00 for the body. The nurse at the doctors has told me to use Socks/Tights/Vests I did this once but to be honest it does not work as well as the bandages.

Jim

5 Posts

MollieBee  ·  29 Apr 2006
Hi Jim

Firece, isn't it when your child is so obviously in tatters and miserable and to have to fight to have their misery taken seriously!

Our little chap has just turned 10 months old this week. He's been on Neocate since the middle of February - it IS fierce expensive isn't it. The chemist are printing off an entire list of products that we've had to buy for him for the month of April and the creche has supplied us with a letter stating how he is treated as a special needs baby (as needs extra care what with all the regular emulsigying and to watch him for scratching and wrapping him up when it's bad) to enclose with our medical card application so hopefully we will have one soon. The Neocate doesn't seem to be making much difference but then again maybe if he wasn't on it his eczema could be alot worse. Crumlin want to change him from it as well and will find out in June.
He's getting itchier the last few days so have to watch him like a hawk - he's not too bad in the day, it's the night time when he is tired and trying to settle that is a nightmare and all through the night. We are so exhausted and him too.
Yesterday was the last day on the Eumovate cream on his body and today he's been on the Hydrocortizone twice and will be for a few days, then we stop using it and see how it goes. If it comes up again, the redness, to start using it again and then if it gets worse to go back up to Eumovate and if worse again to go back up to Betnovate. I hope it doesn't get to that.
We just had him christened on April 15th as part of Easter Ceremony (ambushed into it by local priest!!) and my grandmother was convinced his eczema would clear once he was baptised so we'll see!!

All the best
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Hearing other families stories in dealing with this condtion really is helpful

Take Care

Mollie Bee xxx

25 Posts

Jim  ·  28 Apr 2006
Molliebee, Glad you've got some answers at last I'm horrifed over the Hydrocortizone I was also told to use it very little just goes to show you Doctors differ. I also have a four year old who suffers with it very badly on her hands I brought her to the doctor to have a look at it and He didn't even look at it and told me I could not give her anything stronger for her age I then pulled her sleeve up and insisted that he look at it ge said "oh thats infected and will need an antibiotic cream" It cleared but it's still quite dry and sore. My other daughter was back at the dietition last week and got the all clear to go on a normal diet she only has one bottle of Neocate now at night time. Molliebee what age is your baby and what formula is he on if he is 7 months I strongly advise this product it really is very good very deer but you should get a medical card if he is put on this.

Keep in touch.
Jim

5 Posts

MollieBee  ·  27 Apr 2006
Hi there - it's been a hectic few weeks here. Thank you Jim and Duilleog for all your advice and reassurances. Duilleog, did you find out the name of that place in Dublin where I could get one of those sleepsuits for my wee chap?

We'd been up to A&E in Crumlin every week since beginning of April and my son was finally admitted at 2am on 19th April, Wednesday, with fierce itching, crusting, and such a bad skin infection he was put in Isolation. The staff were great and we received so much advice and encouragement. The main thing we discovered was that when you're using one of the stronger steroid creams that you must wean your child from them by going onto a weaker cream for a while and then weaker again, not to just stop using the steroid cream cold as this triggers an even stronger reoccurance of itching and blistering. We were horrified and realised our baby had been suffering unnecessarily as not one doctor at home that we'd brought our baby to and had steroid creams prescribed EVER told us that - we were always told to use Fucibet, for example, for 3 days etc and then stop using it and just continue on with emulsifying ointment. Every time our baby would be worse than ever a couple of days after stopping the steroid. We were so angry and still cannot fathom why this was never explained or pointed out to us. We were also told in Crumlin that the Hydrocortizone 1% is mild enough to use every day for a few weeks to keep flare ups under control. All the time it was prescribed at home it was as if we were applying arsenic to the child it was so feared when prescribed.

Our baby has been clear now for 7 days which is the longest time in over 6 months. He was started on Betnovate steroid cream for 5 days, then to move to Eumovate, then to move on to Hydrocortizone 1% for a while. We've to bathe him twice a day in emulisfying ointment and other emollients added to the bath. In the hospital I could do this but now that we are home it's impossible to keep it to 2 a day as we both are working and are so exhausted at this stage so we bathe him once a day, before he goes to bed.

The last couple of days now he is getting itchy on his lower back which is starting to get a bit red. He twitches at his ears still but this would seem to be out of habit.
We have an appointment to return to Crumlin Dermatology Clinic in June to get test results and to check our son out. While in the hospital we consented that blood be taken from out child (it had to be taken anyway to do allergy testing) to help with the research that Dr Alan Irvine is carrying out regarding the eczema gene. Anything to help people in the future suffer less with this condition.
I'm nervous as to what will happen when we stop using the Hydrocortizone as I sense that my son's eczema is still bubbling beneath the surface of his skin and the steroids are just masking it. Yet, for the 3 of us this last week of relief has been great and for the first time in 7 months our baby is staying in his cot for the whole night as we don't have to take him out in a fierce state and emulsify him all night. I'm not saying he's sleeping through the night but it's progress anyway!! I'd give good money at this stage to have even just 5 hours of straight sleep.

Cheers for now and I'll keep you posted.
All the best
Mollie Bee xxx

4 Posts

pamela (DHQ44243)  ·  12 Apr 2006
I know as a parent we would all prefer to stay away from the steroid route, but I was wondering if anyone has used the prouduct FreeDerm? along with other ingredients it contains 1% hydrocortisone which was switched by the FDA to over-the-counter status years ago because of it\'s long-standing record of safety. The testimonials on Freederm\'s website look so ensuring but I don\'t know about ordering yet. I am using Proteque right now, a non-steroidal theraputic lotion that seals in the moisture and has a protective barrier that lasts throughout washes. However when my son is sick(eczema at its worst) it doesn\'t completely diminsh it but does help alot.

7 Posts

duilleog  ·  10 Apr 2006
to molliebee
My heart really goes out to you as I know how upsetting it is to watch your child in pain and not been able to help, at night we bought special sleepsuits from a health supply company in Dublin, they are all in one mittens and feet included and no damage could be caused at night when he was sleeping, he wore them up till he was five and he called them his special space suits, made from all natural material can't think of the shop right now but they were in harolds cross and they are a little dear but incredibly worth it. I'll hunt down the name in the meantime.

25 Posts

Jim  ·  10 Apr 2006
Hi MollieBee,

Your story sounds the exact same as mine my heart goes out to you as I've been there before. My daughter was admitted to St Lukes Kilkenny at 5 months and again her head was very bad. They wet wrapped her in bandages for one week twice a day and the results were brilliant. If you have a good health nurse or know any nurse in a childrens ward they should be able to show you how to do the wet wrapping procedure if you don't have much luck there let me know and I can email the procedure to you. If your child is drinking jucies they can also trigger the eczema give water or Ribena Tooth kind. Keep me posted and best of luck back at Crumlin.

5 Posts

sean (sean_callanan)  ·  08 Apr 2006
Hi MollieBee,

I don't have any experience of admittions to Crumlin most of our contact has been through a&e. I just saw the first part of a program in channel 4 about beating your childs asthma. A lot of the tips seem to apply to eczema to. Thursday at 9 I think.

Good luck,
Sean

5 Posts

MollieBee  ·  07 Apr 2006
Hi
I would be grateful if anyone could share their experience of admitting their child to Crumlin Children's Hosptital due to severe eczema?
We had to bring our 9 month old son unexpectedly Thursday of last week but were sent home eventually as couldn't spare him a bed as other children were being admitted behind us who needed to be hooked up to drips etc.
So we used Fucibet for 3 days, Fuciden H for 2 days, and Hydrocortizone for 2 days, finishing up yesterday evening. Today was his first day without any steroid creams (but was covered in Emulsifying Ointment all day)and I had to leave work to take him out of his creche as he was in a fierce state with itching and had shredded his face quite badly due to the itch.
We were ready to go back to Crumlin as were advised last Thursday to go back up for admission when it flared up again. He's been sleeping now after a dose of Vallergen so we'll head up tomorrow as he seemed to perk up a bit but is still very inflamed. The worst at the moment is his head and I'm thinking this is because we never used any of the steroid creams on his head or face - we never have done - but his body now is starting to redden and inflame in the usual places again so it's only a matter of hours before he's back to full eczema everywhere.
We've tried homeopathy, oatmeal and bread soda baths etc, he's off dairy and eggs since Christmas and been on Neocate formula milk since February, goats milk before that, we make all his food from scratch at home and bring into the creche so all he eats is natural, just in case he's reacting to stuff in sauces and convenience food etc and it's easier for us to keep track of what he eats. We're going to be taking up the carpet in the sitting room and hallway soon and getting rid of the curtains in the house etc in case they are not helping.
Our hearts are broke watching our little chap in such agony and it seems to be getting worse. Whatever about us not sleeping well, he doesn't either with his itch and crys out in his sleep. We fear this constant sleep disruption could be affecting his development as we know babies grow in their sleep and practice their new movements while they sleep. We also have to swaddle him/wrap him up in a cotton sheet to keep his hands away from his face at night. Even when they are gloved he can still do damage and is quite traumatizing for him. This wrapping him up can't be very good for him either, developmentally either. That's what we fear anyway.
Thank you for all you tips above. If anyone can share their Crumlin Hosp experience, usual proceedures to be expected, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers
MollieBee

25 Posts

Jim  ·  05 Apr 2006
Hi Sean,

Many thanks for your comments. I do know there is a very good doctor in Tipperary. I brought my little girl to see him when the wrapping was not working and his creams did work. I know I said the wrapping is good but his creams work brilliant I have only had to use the wet wrapping once since I got his creams. I then could return to the normal cream Hydrocortozone(spelt wrong sorry) All doctors differ the Consultant who treated my girl in hospital did not agree the the creams i was using but to be honest I was so tired and worn out at that stage I didn't worry to much about her concerns my main priority was my little girl and the doctor who gave me the creams gave her comfort and I got some well deserved rest.

5 Posts

sean (sean_callanan)  ·  05 Apr 2006
Hi Jim,

All the products you mentioned we are using, although we never had to use wraps. You could try Rowa Emulsifying Ointment B.P. it is less waxy and easier to work with. Aveeno moisturizing lotion is go to kill the itch to.

Our major improvement came when we started using Protopic, but we don't know what the long term effects will be.

Our guy will swell up if he gets egg to, he also reacts to beef. He has problems with milk and cheese so he is on goats milk since he was about 10 months. Although our dermatologist does not accept that there is a link, but maybe that just shows there are no experts when it comes to eczema.

Best of luck,
Sean

4 Posts

pamela (DHQ44243)  ·  05 Apr 2006
I hadn't heard of the discovery in Crumlin. Thank you for keeping me posted! Even just knowing what the exact cause of eczema would give me some peace.

25 Posts

Jim  ·  04 Apr 2006
To Sean & duilleog,

My daugher is now 19 months and the first 6 months were a nightmare. She was admitted to hospital and wet wrapped in Bandages for a week and when I came home it all started again so I had to continue with the wrapping. Her diet was changed to Dairy free and her formula was Neocate (still on this) and will be till she reaches 2 in Sep. She has been tested for allergies but all came back clear however I know she can't have eggs (eyes swell) She is going back to the dietitian this month and I have to record what she eats. At the moment things are going good she only gets it on her hands so I really do think it has to to with the diet. Don't let them eat fruits that have acid Don't give cheep chocolate, Don's use perfumes/soaps to wash the hair use Emulave to wash in the bath use Emulsifying Ointment (Very Waxy be careful) Use this as a moisturiser.
Best of luck to you both. The wet wrapping is very good takes time but is worth it.

5 Posts

sean (sean_callanan)  ·  04 Apr 2006
Hi duilleog, Well at least that is encouraging, I had heard that 3 was the age he might grow out of it then when was 3 they said 5 so there is some hope :o) He has been good over the last while though.

Hi Pamela, I don't know if you have heard of the breakthrough the team in Crumlin have just made. They identified a gene that may be linked to eczema. The gene produces a protein which gets secreted through the skin to provide a protective layer. Perhaps this protein has a role to play in protecting the gut wall also, just a layman's guess.

Cheers,
Sean

4 Posts

pamela (DHQ44243)  ·  03 Apr 2006
Along with my 1 year old's chronic eczema he has also had unususal bowel movements since birth. I think my son may have leaky gut syndrome and have been doing research on a link between the two.

7 Posts

duilleog  ·  30 Mar 2006
to sean This is like reading the story of my child's life. He had eczema since a baby(he's seven now) We thought the same about the teeth also but alas that was not the case, it continued agressively either way. He spent many different weeks over the years in hospital with it and still no one could give us a solution. Viscouse paste bandages were a godsend to help control it along with a special sleep suit and then after years of no sleep, at the age of six it all calmed down and he only gets dry skin mainly on his legs, especially when he's worried in school or has a cold. good luck with your child and I hope he improves for you soon.

Anonymous  ·  28 Mar 2006
Well it's two years since I placed the posting here and I had almost forgotten that we had the issue with teething. Anyway our experience was that he was worse when teeth were on the way. But he is nearly four and his skin is still bad. Sometimes we can control it with protopic but for the last few weeks his body is coverd in the rash. So I don't know what to tell you maybe it wasn't the teeth maybe it was just bad eczema all along.

Sean

Anonymous  ·  27 Mar 2006
My son's eczema seems to flare only when he has an infection and when teething, his biggest flare has been with his first molar. ??? is this coincidence?

Anonymous  ·  07 Jan 2004
My son is ten months old and has had eczema since he was weaned onto formula. It becomes worse when teething. A Pharmacist explained the reason why.
When a child is teething the blood flow to the cheeks increases and drives the eczema crazy. The advise I was given was to keep it well moisturised and keep water and wipes away from affected area where possible. The main thing is not to let it get infected. My son needs antibiotic steroid cream applied at least once a week to keep it under control.

Anonymous  ·  07 Jan 2004
My 16 month old has developed a rash on her face. We took her to the doctor and he said that it could be excema or baby acne and to stop using wipes. We then took her to the public health nurse and she said that it wasn't excema but could be related to the heat in our house, or her teething, particularly if she is getting her molar teeth. She said to give her plenty of water and to turn down the heat. I don't know if it is the same as yours, but the rash doesn't seem to be affecting her in that she isn't itching.

Anonymous  ·  04 Jan 2004
Does anyone know of a link between teething and eczema. Our fellow seems to have bad eczema when his teeth are coming. He still has the worst teeth to come.

Also do you know of anything that will help with this or provide a website that has more information?

Thanks
Sean