Eczema on nipples

4 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

Anonymous  ·  05 Oct 2003
For your info:

Indications
Endogenous eczema (atopic dermatitis, neurodermatitis), contact eczema, degenerative, dyshidrotic, vulgar eczema, eczema in children.

Use in pregnancy - Category C
Animal studies with methylprednisolone aceponate have shown embryolethal effects in rats dosed subcutaneously during the period of organogenesis at doses greater than 1 mg/kg/day and in rabbits following dermal application at doses greater than 0.25 mg/kg/day. No teratogenic effects were observed in rabbits, but in rats the incidences of ventricular septal defects and of cleft palate were increased at subcutaneous doses greater than 1 and 10 mg/kg/day. Similar embryolethal and teratogenic effects have been found with other corticosteroids and are not considered relevant to humans.

Reduced placental and birth weight have been recorded in animals and humans after long-term treatment. Since the possibility of suppression of the adrenal cortex in the newborn baby after long-term treatment must be considered, the needs of the mother must be carefully weighed against the risk to the foetus when prescribing these drugs. Maternal pulmonary oedema has been reported, with tocolysis and fluid overload.

The clinical indication for treatment with methylprednisolone aceponate must be carefully reviewed and the benefits weighed against the risks in pregnant and lactating women. Treatment of large areas or prolonged use (greater than 4 weeks) must be avoided.

Anonymous  ·  02 Oct 2003
thanks "eatapple" for your info. of my problem. Very gratful.

3 Posts

eatapple  ·  01 Oct 2003
Re you planning on breastfeeding your baby? If so the eczema could continue to be a problem for you. Some women find that avoiding harsh soaps on the nipple area is helpful. Also if you are breastfeding you can try Lansinoh® is the world’s purest lanolin. 100% natural–with no water to dilute the effectiveness or additives to cause irritation, Lansinoh it does not have to be removed prior to nursing and can be used with complete confidence of safety for mother and baby. Lansinoh. Some women jsut live with this. As long as you don't have a high temp. or pain in your breast you could be ok. Check with your dr to be safe.

Anonymous  ·  29 Sep 2003
I am 2 months pregnant and I have eczema (atopic eczema)on both my nipples (nothing serious, comes and goes). I have being using Advantan Cream and Hydro-Wolff cream for the past. Should I stop using them? Are they harming my baby? If yes, do you have any good recommendation for other crame?