Most believe sunbeds are not safe - poll

10 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

9 Posts

kathleen (katclarke)  ·  03 Sep 2003
we are all going to die sometime.It is the only thing we are sure about.But why do poeple increase there risk of cancer just to look more taned than anyone else.The irish climate does not allow us to have a natural tan all year round but there are poeple who subject themselves to this risk. Ok its there lives and if they understand the risks then theres nothing we can do. Some poeple will regret it in years to come but hinside is a great thing.

11 Posts

jean (nnnnnn)  ·  17 Aug 2003
You know I think it is sad when people don't really know what there talking about..I hear you say increasing strain weak up and smell the coffee boy O you there is one hell of a strain ..thats because Bertie and the boys are lining there pockets and giving back to this country .who can afford to over indulch in this Country with morgage's and child care If the minster for Health did anything he should get his act together and deal with more important issuse's at hand..I would list them but I wouldn't like to embarras the above..wishing you health and happiness

9 Posts

Tom (branit)  ·  09 Aug 2003
Anything that seriiusly damamges our health should be outlawed. Those who persist in doing something which seriously damages their health, despite their awareness of the risk,should be put to the back of the queue of those in need of medical assistance. This country's capacity to cope with health problems cannot be put under ever increasing strain by people who are downright stupid. If the minister for health issued such a health warning people might sit up and take note.

Anonymous  ·  07 Aug 2003
I found a lump in my breast about a year and a half ago I had been using a sunbed a bit before I found this lump I will always wonder did the sunbed have any part to play !!!!!!!!

Anonymous  ·  07 Aug 2003
I don't think that many people in this country think we are at risk of developing skin cancer due to the fact that we only see the sun on an infrequent basis. The same attitude seems to prevail when using sunbeds. Can't see the fun in it either ?

2 Posts

Guillaume (gponcin)  ·  07 Aug 2003
Some people use sunbeds because they suffer from dreadful skin conditions- such as acne. These people are not really interested in looking tanned- but they want to have clearer skin. Would you criticise these people for using sunbeds? Acne and other diseases can cause disastrous long term damage also.

Anonymous  ·  06 Aug 2003
I'm not sure if I'd call lying on a sun bed 'fun' !! Personally I much prefer to slap on my fake tan and not worry about looking like a dried up prune in a few years time ! I worked in a travel agents for a while a few years ago and it was scary to see how some of the older (mainly female) members of staff were so old and wrinkly as a result of years of sun beds and sun holidays ... not pretty !!

2 Posts

Sandra (mcgoniglesa)  ·  06 Aug 2003
But there's no reason to expose yourself to these dangers ( not to mention the ageing effect ) when fake tans offer a viable alternative to looking pale and interesting.

True we could or else we could smoke our brains out, use sunbeds, drink to our hearts content and die a slow and painful death at a young age. You can still have fun and be careful!

We could could live in a sterile room drinkng nothing but warm milk and increase the length of our lives dramatically. But where's the fun in that?