Eczema clinic

8 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

1 Posts

MissC  ·  18 Sep 2006
Some good advice posted here, unfortunately it\'s not working for my daughter. After contracting severe chicken pox while in creche her skin never fully recovered from it resulting in severe eczema.
I have tried everything to soothe her and with her starting school next year Id give anything fo it to be gone as during the day she is constantly itching. I\'m at my wit\'s end I have had her at dermatologists up and down the country and all they do is prescribe pro topic which as well as being quite expensive could possibly be harmful to skin.
I have also had numerous allergy tests done one of which revealed my daughter was not to have any sugar, while keeping her off sweets isn\'t too difficult with the advent of so many sugar free products, its in every day food in the supermarket that contains sugar like for instance Dolmio sauces all of them contain sugar.
I have tried soya milk goats milk everything, has any one any other suggestions?? I\'d be very grateful

2 Posts

pann  ·  25 Jun 2006
Hi I am hoping you guys can help me.my daughter has, as far as I can make out,contact eczema.I need to find a washing powder or liquid that is fragrance free, perfume free and babically a very natural and gentle detergent for baby's clothes.

Anonymous  ·  09 Sep 2005
i suffer from infected eczema on my shoulders, back and arms. when i go in the sun i tan with white patches. at times its very sore and itchy. will a course of antibiotics cure this?

Anonymous  ·  03 Sep 2005
I read the comment from rebekah abt getting goat milk cream via internet,i like the website address so i can try it on for my 2 years old son who is sufferring from severe eczema.I m using betonovate it helps but only for few days and came back again,n cause the skin dry n rough.pls advise,i also used aqueous cream all sorts off bath lotion presctibed by doctor but none of them help including using olitum cream n lotions,protpic cream,eumovate cream..anything u can name it.i really need advise.thanks.pls email me trooves@tiscali.co.uk

1 Posts

Edwin (ANF33880)  ·  01 Sep 2005
Hi all,
I've been recently diagnosed with 'Pompholyx Eczema' (go here for pics http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/pompholyx.html )
I've had these blisters on my toe for over 2 years and I had always thought it was fungal or athletes foot.
Anyway it has now grown on my palm and foot. It has been particularly bad on my foot and I was barely able to walk.
As far as I know Pompholyx occurs in cycles: it starts with small blisters growing larger symmetrically. It is aggravated by sweat, water and soap/detergents. Some say stress is also a factor. Once the blisters recede or bursts (discharging a clear fluid) the pain stops and the skin begins to crust and peel off. It's less occasional in winter time.
Now i've been given a new treatment regime which will give you an example:

TREATMENT:
Use emoillients such as E45 to wash & bathe.
Take antibiotics such as Flucloxacillin (penicillin).
I'm currently using a emoillient/steroid cream called 'Fudicin H'.
For badly weeping areas, cover with gauzze bandages. If on foot, try and wear sandals to allow fresh air through. If you can't wear sandals, make sure to get high cotton socks with antibacterial finishing. I got loads in Dunnes Stores.
If on palm, try wearing cotton lined gloves. The important thing is to not allow sweating.
As far as I know, it isn't contagious, but it's best not to do any cooking or heavy chores with this condition. If needed to, wear adequate protection to avoid contact.

I'm currently booked to go see a private Dermatologist as there's a long queue for the hospital (about 3 months).
If you are indeed infected with Pompholyx, make sure to check with a GP and don't confuse it with other infections such as Primary fungal, Contact Dermatitis and Pustular Psiorasis.

Unfortunately there is no quick fix for this condition. The treatment i've described cannot cure entirely but it helps to control it. Eventually you may need PUVA (ultra violet) treatment to get rid of it entirely, and that process can take months.
Best of luck.

1 Posts

C (ERO30899)  ·  01 Jul 2005
Louise, I have the same problem as you. I had my first appointment with a dermatology nurse after suffering for over 30 years. She recomended that I wear a pair of non-latex gloves while I wash my hair etc. I don't think it will be easy to wash, moisturise etc with the gloves on but I think I need to give it a go. Hope this helps.

1 Posts

Louisa (CEO30744)  ·  28 Jun 2005
I just get exzema on the palm of my hands, obivously they come into contact with shampoo, conditioner, moisuriser which are all difficult to cut out or to find which one is causing the reaction. They are quite bad at the moment so wondered if anyone else had this.

Anonymous  ·  20 Sep 2002
This clinic is fantastic. Thanks a lot irishhealth.com for such detailed info on a really difficult problem. Sandy.