(Wednesday, 27th Aug, 2014)

Lletz treatment

98 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

1 Posts

Meggles1988  ·  14 Feb 2014

Hi all, 

Please can i have some help as im very worried about this. i had my lletz treatment on the 5th of Feb, and last night i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend, nothing seems to be different besides the stress im feeling, have i stuffed everything up now? Has anyone done this before? Thank you

12,082 Posts

Anonymous  ·  06 Mar 2013

As far as I know, it is available on the public health system, so that kind of cost estimate is completely off. If you have private health insurance you might well be seen quicker but both VHI and Laya will cover it and probably the other insurers too so no cost involved there either.

1 Posts

MyLove  ·  04 Mar 2013

Does anybody know about the cost of lletz? as I was told of app $5500. Isn't tooo much for this?...

1 Posts

TeamTwilight  ·  07 Feb 2013

Hi Ladies :) Well after been on google and panicking about Lletz I want to give my story as we need more possitive stories out there! First of all I have a huge needle phobia and Im the most squemish person ever and Im a baby when it comes to pain. Anyway I was bookied in to gat lletz done under general anastetic. I went in in the morning very nervous but was put to ease by the nice staff. I walked to theatre in my night dress and gown and it felt good that I wore my own nightdress through the op. I was covered in a blanket as they gave me the general anastetic(i actually could not feel the needle) Then my eyes felt heavy and I was asleep. I woke up still covered in the blanket after the op and was wheeled back to the recovery ward( I was very happy that all dignity was maintained as I did worry that I would not be covered up and not know it). I had a lovely cup of tea and toast. The first time I went to the toilet I was worried that there would be lots of blood as I do bleed easy. There was only a tiny bit of blood and today( the day after the op) there is only some spotting. Also I dont have children yet and plan to and as I got myself upset over that I was reasured that one lletz wont make a difference and they are so updated now anyway that even if there was another lletz they monitor and measure your cervix and if needed they put in a stitch during a pregnancy, but most times after 1 lletz they dont need to do this. Believe me I asked all these questions so I thought I better share it with all you other girls who are worried but if you need this op please dont let anything put it off as it can save your life in the long run :) Good luck to anyone who is reading this and going for lletz, just relax and enjoy the time out of your busy life :)

1 Posts

Emmy emmy  ·  22 Jan 2013

Hello, I had a lletz treatment yesterday, for a cin2,3 result, and just want to relax anyone who is planned to have one, I was extremely worried before I had it but I actually had a good time as weird as it sounds. I was under general anesthetic , and the last thing I remember was falling asleep , when I woke up I was feeling very relaxed and the nurse gave me tea and toast, after that I fell asleep for a couple of hours and returned home. The whole experience was actually relaxing since I didn't feel the procedure , and was just resting the whole time while doctors and nurses are taking care of you. And now that I am home in relaxing in bed and taking pain killers and antibiotics. I am on my period so I have bleeding, not sure if it from period, lletz or both. I do feel discomfort in the treated area but resting in bed and medicin is helping . I'm happy I am over it since I was extremely worried and scared about this . But be relaxed if you ae getting it done :)

1 Posts

Jen1987  ·  05 Sep 2012

I wanted to write on here about my recent experience with Lletz. I read quite a few posts on here which got me pretty worried so would like to be able to put a few people's minds at rest. I had my first smear about 6 weeks ago (I am 25) and my results came back severe dyskariosis, naturally I then went into complete panic, I think the lack of information and the way the letter is written is not great, it causes a lot of undue stress and I think a phone call from the doctor would be more appropriate. I had an appointment at the hospital 2 days later where I had a colposcopy - this was basically just a smear test, a bit uncomfortable but certainly not painful. The doctor couldn't see much but he took some biopsies, this involved a local anaesthetic, the dr gave me two injections into my cervix, it stung a little but was only for a few seconds, I did feel very shaky after these but he told me this was normal. The biopsy didn't hurt whatsoever. I did have period like cramps afterwards but only for a day and had bleeding for a week after the biopsies.

The biopsy results came back 2 weeks later confirming severe dyskariosis and I went in today (7 days after my results) for my lletz treatment. The treatment was over very quickly, the worst thing about it was the local anaesthetic which was not particularly painful. I am now waiting for the results to make sure they've got it all. I am not saying that my experience was pleasant I think anything like this is emotional and stressful but the staff maintained my dignity at all times and I really believe the worrying is much worse than the stress. In nearly all situations this is easily treatable and does not lead to further problems! My advice to anyone going through this is to get off google, try to worry as little as possible and go for your treatment

2 Posts

sparki  ·  23 Aug 2012

Hi,

i AHD A Lletxz in 2006 and 6 years later I still bleed heavily after intercourse and it can last for 5 - 6 days each time.  Has anyone out there had the same problem???? 

2 Posts

Noodle31  ·  19 Jul 2012

Hi there, I would give the nurse in the colposcopy ward a 

Ring, they are ever so helpful and reassuring! The

Chest infection and coughing might not have helped u.

Dont panic just give them a quick ring and they will tell you if 

You should go back to them or it's nothing to worry about, good luck

1 Posts

Ladynerve  ·  18 Jul 2012

Hello ladies! I was wondering if I could get some information from you as I feel I didn't get enough from my health care professionals! Anyway I had my lletz treatment two days ago! I have never had this before so was nervous! Anyway they removed a piece of my cervix and I was sent home! I have had very light brownish/pink discharge since then which I was told about so that's expected! Tonight though I have started with quite heavy bright red bleeding! I have a chest infection so I am coughing strongly! I'm wondering if this could of caused a rupture! I'm not sure if this will be a period as i have had the contraceptive implant in place for two months with no periods! This has always been the same when I'm on progesterone only contraception! Basically my question is should heavy bleeding begin two days after lletz when for the first two days it was just light discharge! Thanks to anyone who can help :-)

8 Posts

jajus  ·  07 Jun 2012

1 Posts

dnnshortt  ·  05 Jun 2012

hi can anyone please give me some information i have had lletz treatment done twice once wen i was 18 grade 2/3 and another one in december 2011 for grade 3 when i had the second one done the doctor was very rude and told me while standing up as if it was noting that i wouldnt be able to have children becoz of the state my cervix is in after the letz i asked him to explain more and wats my options and he said well if u want children dont get the procedure done witch wasnt an option for me i know how important it is to have done

after telling my partner of 5 years wat the doctor said we agreed maybe we'll try for kids next year 2013 seen as we hadnt much information about me not having kids just goin by wat the doctor said

to my partner and my surprise i found out i was pregnant in feburary after only losing my mam in november 2011 and being told i'm due in november 2012 i felt this baby was ment to be and a blessing and we are over the moon but now i'm hearing i wont be able to carry full term and i could lose the baby at any time i'm goin for a measurement on my cervix in july to see if i need a stitch to hold baby in witch by then i'll be 6 months and i'm so worried hearing all these stories about not be able to have children after lletz that i'm goin to lose this baby before i even get the stitch, i keep bleeding in the last 2 months i have went in to a&e a few times worried but so far baby is fine and keep saying its noting to worry about but how can i not when i'v been told i cant carry and will lose babies by doctor

has anyone had children after 2 lletz or know anyone that has? id really appreciate some information

1 Posts

AshBash  ·  30 May 2012

I had a Lletz treatment last week in the Rotunda I was terrified after googling the treatment the staff were lovely and supportive I felt no pain what so ever it lasted for 15mins and I didn't even feel the injection of the local anesthetic after the treatment I felt drowsy still had no pain at all ....... The only problem I have is a week later I'm feeling tired constantly and im having heavy odourless discharge with the odd spotting of blood maybe I'm run down from the antibiotics I was put on ..... Is it normal to have heavy discharge??? The most annoying thing about this treatment I feel is wearing towels so bloody uncomfortable! Hopefully the discharge goes soon and ladies it's not that bad the treatment I dont understand how people are having such horrific experiences when I felt nothing?!?? Anyways good luck ladies you will be fine x

1 Posts

loz31uk  ·  31 Jan 2012

ive recently had a biopsy as my cervical smear test came back abnormal and was just wondering after treatment would i be able to drive home 

2 Posts

Noodle31  ·  26 Jan 2012

I had a smear done after my 20mth old was born and had abnormal cell change, i was refered for a colposcopy.. had this done and had cin2.. then had a lletzs this was cin3.. I was told at this stage all cells were removed! went back 6 months later for smear.. found abnormal cells,and had biopsy there and then, results cin1-cin2, and was refered for another lletz so i asked were the cells developing that fast? i was told that unfortunatly in the rare ocasion they spread outside the area that was worked on the last lletz! result cin3! back in 6 months! i feel its a long time to wait with all this worry. how many lletz cin3 do you have before i say enough is enough? take it away i rather get it over and done with and concentrate on my kids instead i have this on my mind all the time its depressing! what advise can any one give me please?

1 Posts

GerryBerry  ·  16 Jan 2012

Hi All,

I had a LLETZ treatment 6 months ago after going for my first colposcopy. I had my first smear in September since the treatment and it showed some abnormal changes. I am scheduled for another colposcopy this week. I have never been informed verbally or in writing my grade of cervical dysplasia.Is this normal? Thanks.

1 Posts

Scaryspex  ·  30 Nov 2011

Hi 

I had Lletz done three weeks ago. I had a period a week after, on my normal date, but I had no pain and no other usual side effects of a period. The last few days I've had all the perios side effects along with cramps today and bleeding. I'm so confused. Was that a period I had two weeks ago? Or some side effect of the Lletz. They said my period after the Lletz would be heavier and perhaps more painful. 

1 Posts

tea&biscuts  ·  23 Nov 2011

hello ladies,

would some of you please recommend whether it would be better to go to Holles Street or the Coombe to have the Lletz done, please....thanks :-)

1 Posts

fainneoir1  ·  09 Nov 2011

I'm here at my desk at work less than 24 hours after my treatment, Ladies please do not be overly concerned about this treatment. Everybody is different and everybody will most likely have a different experience.... but.....

I googled the word on Monday and came across this site, Having read some of the posts about others experience, I have to say I was somewhat concerned given that so many ladies had had general anesthetic to have their treatment and I knew I wasn't having it.

My fears (thank God) were completely unfounded. The treatment was over in 10 to 15mins and I felt nothing at all once the little pinch of the local anesthetic was given to me. The giddy legs thing kicked in, it's like they get a mind of their own and begin to jump around on their own a little and yes I did have the slightly elevated heart rate but dear Lord, isn't that to be expected through your own natural adreneline kicking in when you know that a "needle" is going "in there" !!..... Ladies as I said at the start, each and every one of us is different and each and everyone of us will have a different experience so... please please don't be overly worried, we are in the hands of healthcare professionals who are looking after us. Those of us who are going for/have had this treatment are the ones who are ahead of the game in keeping ourselves above ground and breathing, so go for it girls, get it done, keep and open mind and relax.

Working ourselves up beforehand will NOT help at all. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones who has a really fantastic doctor and for any ladies who have had a not good experience with this, I feel for you girls but.... it's better to have it done than face the consequences. Talk to your friends about this and smear tests girls, your younger sisters or older one, aunts, mom's all the women who matter to you in your life. Good luck to anyone having their treatment soon, I hope all goes well ! Smile

1 Posts

Brighteyes82  ·  20 Jul 2011

Hi Guys,

I'm 28, i had Lletz done almost 3 weeks ago. I had it done under general anesthetic in the Rotunda Hospital. I was too nervous to have it done on the day of my colposcopy, i was told i had high grade cin3 but have not been called back for a follow up just yet. They said it was a large biopsy taken away and i would be back in 6 weeks for results and to see how i'm healing up. 

After the surgery i had very little pain, i felt a bit sore really. When i got home i didn't have much bleeding but had a brown/pink discharge constantly since then, last night i started my period which is very painfull and very heavy. I hate using towels but have no choice but nomatter what i do as i have been wearing them for 3 weeks now i am even getting sore donw there, i'm very clean but i know you can't use anything down there as to prevent infection. I was out on a 5 day cousrse of antibiotics straight after treatment to stop infection. 

My worry now is that i too do not have chilfren yet and really want to be a mum, i'm with my boyfriend for 3.5 years and he says he is not ready, he said maybe next year when we are 4 years together, i am scared because i will be almost 30 then and he thinks you can just get pregnant straight away but there is a huge infertility history in my family and with the cervical problems i'm having now i'm so worried i will not be able to conceive. I'm afraid if i wait too long it has increased risk and it could take me years. I had cin2 6 years ago and had clear smears after and did not need treatment but having read that some women have had the same as me done and the abnormalities have come back again scares me.

It would break my heart if i was told i could not have a baby, how do i convince my boyfriend that time is not on our side and that we we have to start trying sooner rather than later????

2 Posts

Bonnie.G  ·  28 Jun 2011

Hannah, it will be your Gynaecologist who will be carrying out this procedure so you need to have this discussion with them not your GP. If you tell him/her your concerns they have a duty to provide you with a general anasethic if you feel more comfortable with it.

My gynaecologist had no prob with it and it was done as a day case, I was in and out by 5 in the evening. Like I said in my previous post I felt it was the best decision for me anyway.

Your GP will get a letter from the gynaecologist to say how it all went and that will be that! :)

12,082 Posts

Anonymous  ·  28 Jun 2011

Hannah, unles your GP can give you a MEDICAL reason why not , then you are entitled to have a general aneasthetic and is she cannot provide you with a reason then tell her you need a referral to Dr. who can.

4 Posts

hannah12  ·  28 Jun 2011

I have been just reading through some of the latest messages posted, and I see that a couple of you have had general anaesthetics for your procedures. 

I have had lletz and a biopsy done for CIN11 and have asked my GP if I could get a general if I ever need to get it done again as I had a terrible time of it too.  She said no, with no discussion.  Where are you getting it done under general?  I am in Cork, and so would be going to St Finbarrs.

thanks,

44 Posts

Rak  ·  27 Jun 2011

Hi everyone, just reading through here trying to find out some info on pregnancy after LLETZ.

I've just had my second tratment and had to put life on hold for the next year. I had the all clear for 4 and a half years after my 1st LLETZ. I went for the last smear in May with the hopes of trying for a baby after I got my anual all clear. Unfortunately I didnt get my all clear. I had a coposcopy and a biopsy, I was assured by the doctor and colposcopy nurse I had only CIN1 and would need no treatment, 2 weeks later I get a letter I had CIN11-111 and needed LLETZ for the second time.

I have to say I was terrified. My first experience was awful. I felt every little bit and had to fight the urge to scream out in pain. I really didnt wanna go through all that again. But I'm happy to report this treatment was so much better. The doctor assure me she would not proceed until the local had taken full affect and she tested every area and applied more even when I said I could only feel a tiny bit. I felt nothing this time, just a slight period like pain towards the end. Moral of the story is, you tell the doctor if you need more local dont let them decide the amount you need. Every women is different as they say.

Now the aftermath pain was just the same, and I had a rough couple of days. But a week later I'm feeling almost normal. Still have some cramps and find sitting the office a bit uncomfortable.

However I'm still pretty upset about having the wait 6 months for my follow up before TTC. Unfortunatley I'll have to extend that to the full year due to personal and work commitments 

1 Posts

carlita  ·  25 Jun 2011

hello everybody

I am 28yrs old and did the lletz treatment 6days ago. I had the general anestetia done and felt no pain and only parcial bleeding. I travelled the next day back to to my fiance and having not seen him for a month we had sex 2days after the surgery. I know this was stupid but and i feel really silly for even tellng u guys this but i need to know if any of you have done the same at some point and what the out come was. I didnt bleed much after the surgery but after sex the next day i bleed like on my 2nd day of period also had a bad oddor. He says his penis itches and has a bad oddur. Any advice would be very much appreciated. tx

2 Posts

Bonnie.G  ·  28 Apr 2011

Hey All,

Just thought I'd share my experience of Lletz with you as, I have noticed a couple of you girls have had a bad experience of it, so maybe my experience will help ease the nerves for anybody else going for it Smile I've had abnormal smears since I was 23, usually just CIN1 and CIN2 which then regressed back to normal, then I had CIN1 again followed by another normal smear! With a couple of colposcopies thrown in for good measure! So when I went for the usual 6 monthly smear nearly 2 years ago aged 27 they came back normal! Which I was delighted, the nurse told me to come back again in 6 months and I was really bold and didnt go back for another year. When I went for the smear last Oct, it came back abnormal, and I had another colposcopy which showed CIN3! Big shock but I blamed myself for not going back when the nurse told me, as the smears are hugely important! Anyhooo, I had the Lletz done approx 8 weeks ago. I was so nervous going in, I had a general anaesethic cause I found the last colposcopy painful when I got the biopsies taken and I have to say it was the best decision to make! I think colposcopy is very undignified and we all know its a matter of having to have your legs akimbo while it being done, but all the same I hated it. I woke up with pains that I would describe as a normal period cramping pain. One large and two small pieces of cervix were taken so the doctor told me, so I was worried what the impact of that would be for my sex life with my partner and future pregnancies as I have no kids yet!

Well all I can say is that I bleed for about 2 weeks on and off, bleeding as in discharge like the last few days of a normal period. My first period following lletz was heavier than normal but my doctor warned me off this. Not much pain at all and no bleeding at all following sex! Happy days!! Laughing  

As for the future pregnancies, my doc advised to wait at least 6 weeks to allow the cervix to heal and the same for commencing intercourse. After all this though I have to say that I didnt find the procedure as bad as I thought it was going to be. I got my results back last week which told me that the cervix was treated succussfully so im hoping that will be the end of it now! Ill just have to keep drinking green tea which apparently helps stop CIN progession. :)

1 Posts

leahcallum  ·  15 Apr 2011

hi ...

i had my first smear done at 21 an im 23 yrs an ive had my first lletz done wen i was 22, my smear test came back wit CIN3 so i had a colposcopy an biopys done then i had the lazor .. ive had another smear done after the lletz an it came back fine, but now a year later an my smear has come back abnormal and i need further investagation. im really scared about this and thinking all sorts has this happened to anybody else?

and its a disgraced the way the goverment in ireland has the age for smears is 25!!!

x

5 Posts

Cross roads  ·  21 Mar 2011

Hi Pud1, I saw a dicussion on magic mum about women getting their smear back normal and then 6 mths later it changing. I really don't think you should worry. All the results mean is there have been changes, these changes may not mean anything it just means they happened. I have heard of smears taking for up to 6 weeks to get back. It really is a long wait I know, I am in a similar boat awaiting my own. Sealed

2 Posts

PUD1  ·  14 Mar 2011

Does anyone know how long it takes to get biopsy results? was at my doc's today and still no word. also i had a negative smear 6 months ago and 6 months later a cin 3 which they found very odd, has anyone else had this?

12,082 Posts

Anonymous  ·  14 Mar 2011

Crossorads, I woukd say most definitely No. If you were pregnant it would be picked up at your first pre-natal smear, given your history Lletz during pregnancy may have been required which could risk the pregnancy. Even if it were possible to leave it until after the baaby was born, it may have been greatly impacted by the pregnancy and more intervention may have been neecded, which now that you know is a completely unneccesary risk. 

Yes LLETZ has its own risks, but dramatically less than Cin3 in pregnancy. if you do need to go down that road there is of course every possibility of no coming back and conceivign when you get the all clear and are healthy. Any woman will have to waiut 6 months before TTC after Lletz, this is to prevent complications arising.

No not every one with CIN 3 goes on to develop cancer - becuase they are teated and it is therefore prevented. Yes, it can take years to develop but in some women it can only take months - do you really want to take an unneccessary risk with your health and maybe more?

8 Posts

jajus  ·  13 Mar 2011

Hi all,I had 2 lletz treatments within one year.I agree with Pud in saying that this isnt just a simple procedure,Its painful and its not at all nice mentally.I worried a lot just as id say u all did..I too bled for 4 weeks and for up to 6 months sometimes after intercourse...I rang the hospital about this and was told that this is normal as the cervix is still quite sensitive ...My last smear was normal..I was discharged last August from the hospital havin been told i will need annual smears...I was also told that should I want to have a baby I will need to inform the hospital early in pregnancy so that i can be booked in to have a scan of the cervix to measure its length..She said this is because i have had more than one lletz..In the event that it has been shortened then they will put in a stitch (cerclage) and remove it again at around 37 weeks or so..This will prevent miscarriage and therefore premature labour... Despite all this advice I do still worry that I may not become pregnant,We are women,we tend to worry a lot.!!!..Would love to hear some advice from someone whos had 2 or more lletz and went on to have a baby as its something im planning to do in the very near future x x

5 Posts

Cross roads  ·  13 Mar 2011

LaughingTo cut a long story short I have never ever received normal smear test results bar once, since the age of 18. Hence I go for smear tests every 6-9mths. For the first time ever I received a normal smear test in June 2010. I had just finished breast feeding my son Dara who was 4mths old. I thought maybe breast feeding had a positive influence on my body. It is meant to be great. Laughing

Currently we are trying for our second baby. Always mindful of the fact one day I might have to get treatment we wanted to start sooner than later. I went for my smear only because I hadn’t fallen pregnant Cry. The smear came back CIN 3 Surprised. I was extremely shocked. I went for a Colposcopy. The doctor is not convinced and ordered took another smear. He said there are definitely abnormal cells there but confined to a small area, however he wants a second smear done in a different lab to see what the results are. He was not convinced I required LLETZ treatment.

I am due to ovulate this week. I am asking your opinion. Should I try for a baby?

I only went for the smear because I hadn’t yet become pregnant. If I was pregnant I wouldn’t even be aware of this issue and it all would be sorted out after the pregnancy. Also LLETZ has its own risks and if I go down that road there is no coming back. Once part of the cervix is removed new complications arise about pregnancy and I would have to put it off for 6-8mths. It could then take longer to get pregnant and by then the cells could have returned.

Not every one with CIN 3 goes on to develop cancer. Not only can that it take years. I think I am crazy to put today’s dreams on hold based on a whole pile of ‘’but’s and maybe’s’’ and that if in a year from now I am still not pregnant I will be kicking myself for not going with my natural cute instinct and just going for it again this month.  

3 Posts

jenzabel  ·  10 Mar 2011

hi pud

yeah i was also a little bit shocked to read your post. I had CIN III and had a colposcopy and then LLETZ treatment in November. as the other poster said, i was advised to wait approx 6 months before conception and after that there should be no problem. I was informed that there can be cases where u cannot carry a full term but this is when a few LLETZ treatments had been performed  and the cervix is then classified as incompetent, but they again stresses that this is sorted with a stitch or a ring in the cervix! i bled for approximately 2-3 weeks  after the LLETZ but it was reallly just a light discharge. i was tender the first time i resumed intercourse but i did not bleed after it. I am 26 years old and plan on having children sooner rather then later because of the problems ive had. but all of the doctors and nurses i dealt with assured me that LLETZ does not affect pregnancy in the majority of cases! speak to your doctor! because thats scary stuff theyre telling you!!

hope youre ok and not stressing too much.

12,082 Posts

Anonymous  ·  09 Mar 2011

Hi Pud, I am very sorry to hear you recieved this news. The vast majoirty of women who have had lettz are told not to concieve for 6 months to a year or until the all-clear to allow the area to heal and the cervix to re-grow but apart from that there is no impediment to carrying a baby full term. In rare cases a cerclage (stitch) might be needed where incompetent cervix has resulted to ensure the pregnancy up to a safe delivery time but this is very unusual. What reason did your medical team give for you being unable to carry a pregnany past 30 /36 weeks? Tho' of course it is safe to have a baby even as premature as that. There are many cases of women having 2 or 3 lletz treatments and with sufficient recovery, it not affecting their ability to sustain a pregnancy. I'm not presuming to advise but if it were me I would be most anxious to meet with my medical team and have the specific reasons outlined as to why further Lletz treatments would render it impossible to sustain future pregnancies. Especially if I were a very young woman or did not already have children.

2 Posts

PUD1  ·  08 Mar 2011

I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY MOST OF YOU ARE SO COOL ABOUT THIS TREATMENT?

i had lletz treatment yesterday and feel like my whole world is falling apart. i was told that because of this treatment i would never be able carry a baby full term, i would have to give birth at 30 - 36 weeks and that if i have to have another lletz treatment that i would not be able to carry a baby at all. this is the worst possible news in my eyes. i was also told that any bleeding after the 4 weeks is not normal, even after intercourse and that it should be reported to my doctor straight away, so i urge all you girls who are still bleeding to seek more help !!!!!

2 Posts

Caza  ·  19 Feb 2011

If there is anyboby reading this website for info....like I did before I went for LLETZ, I hope this helps. I has CIN 3 and was told to attend for a colposcopy. I was not told that I would be having lletz, but when I got there, I had to sign a form stating that if it was needed that I consented. When they do the colposcopy, it is just like a smear, they use a speculum, the only difference is that you can see it on the screen beside you. They then sprayed a type of dye on the cervix which shows up the affected cells. I was then informed that a lletz had to be done. The local anasthetic was not painful, just felt a tiny pinch, but inside you.....that was a bit weird!  

The procedure itself was not painful, there wasnt even any discomfort. However, the one thing I will say to anyone is DONT LOOK AT THE SCREEN! I could see the loop burning off the affected cells, it didnt hurt but being able to see this red/brown bloody mess was a bit upsetting but then again, I cant even watch greys anatomy so maybe its just me!!

Afterwards, I had what I would describe as period pain and spent the day in bed. i think I was more emotionally tired than physically as it was such a shock to the system. So anyone who has to go for this procedure, dont worry, its more or less painless and so worth it if it saves your life in the long run.

2 Posts

paula82  ·  18 Feb 2011

hi, i had lletz treatment last october i was really scared at the thought of it incase it was painful but the truth is i was worried about nothing. I was worried about the needle but to be honest i didn't feel a thing just felt abit funny when the annethetic went in,the treatment itself was not painful all all the nurses where really great talking to me to keep me distracted.thankfully after having the treatment my results came back normal, the only thing that has happened to me after the treatment is that i have had pain and slight bleeding during intercourse this has happened everytime i have had sex since my treatment. I am due to go back for my follow up smear next week so i will hopefully find out if there is any problems. has anyone else had any similar problems if so i would really appreciate any advice. thank you.

4 Posts

sophparis  ·  18 Feb 2011

Hi KG21

I had CIN3 after having CIN1 and colposcopies done. Once I had the CIN3 I had the lletz and I've had no problems since.  That was in 2006,since then I go back every year for a smear and all but 1 have been normal. The abonormal one showed up in the colposcopy as being boarderline CIN1 but no treatment necessary and since that one I've had 1 or 2 normal ones!  So dont worry about the grades at this stage, once they go in and take off the affected area (which is quite small) things generally go back to normal and they will just keep an eye on you every year. That's the most important thing going yearly for your smears to keep on top of it.

As for hurting, to be honest its the thought of it more so, I was bawling my eyes out before they did anything! And its just the injection of the local that is a little sore but really its just a needle and the nurses are really good at keeping you talking and your mind busy, then once it takes affect they laser away the cells and you dont feel any of that. After the procedure a few hours later the local will ware off and then its like a very bad period pain so best to stay in bed with biccies and hot water bottle for the day!  Honestly though dont be frightened I and loads of my girlfriends have had this done and it really does sound worse than what you feel. 

Hope this helps to put your mind at ease. Best of luck

X

12,082 Posts

Anonymous  ·  18 Feb 2011

If local is painful it surely is, like any procedure possible to have it done under general aneasthetic

1 Posts

kG21  ·  17 Feb 2011

Hi girls,

Am heading for Lletz treatment in 2 weeks and logged on here to get info..... Am more scared now ha ha!!!! Have cin 3 cells so am very nervous.... Is it really bad???? And are the long term effects really bad with intercourse etc????

8 Posts

jajus  ·  14 Nov 2010

Hi jem,I think its great that you had a good experience but everybody is different when it comes to this sort of thing. I've had lletz treatment done twice in 12 months,once for cin 2 then again for cin 3.Both times i found it painful even the local anaesthetic was awful...unlike you afterwards i bled quite a lot,worse than a period but pain wasnt too bad...In response to your problem,I too experienced pain during intercourse and bled most times up until 6 months after...This worried me also so I rang the hospital,they told me this is quite common and that it can take the cervix some time to heal...Now 14 months on,I no longer bleed,thank god,but most times during sex i find it very uncomfortable,like tight burning feeling and that hes hitting off something....Its unfair what us girlies go through! Anyway,hope things improve soon for you,all the best x

Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation