| |
(Saturday, 25th Oct, 2014)

Rosacea

254 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

1 Posts

mkmk15  ·  18 Oct 2012

Hi, has anyone ever received laser treatment for Rosacea in Galway. I only see Blackrock mentioned so far, is there a reason for this ?

1 Posts

nef  ·  04 Aug 2012

I wanted to give some details on how I deal/have dealt with Rosacea. Yes stress is a major trigger, so that must be faced, there are many books, exercises, meditations etc on this once you find one that helps, it will be great.

Aloe vera juice is also good, as it is very cooling, juicing is very good, 'liver cleanses' help, general detoxing, avoiding pepper, less alcohol, less spicey food. Tea tree oil to remove bacteria. Making sure to take-it-easy and relax. Once I had this fairly under control, I got one treatment with laser to get rid of thread veins. Over-all it did take a while using all the above, but I find it is now under control.

I hope this helps Smile

1 Posts

tonez  ·  02 Aug 2012

@Redhead

Could you recommend the dermatologist you saw at the blackrock clinic, if you could email the name to me at zsup2@yahoo.com or just post it here. After a year, are you still happy with the IPL treatment you received at the blackrock clinic?I rang up the blackrock clinic and there were a few different dermatologists there so I'd just like to pick the one that I have one good recommendation for.

Cheers

4 Posts

living in hope  ·  16 Jun 2012

3 Posts

kaza2710  ·  17 Sep 2011

Hi Rasberry

Yesterday I was given a topical treatment cream which is supposed to be very good for outbreaks as an alternative to the antibiotics, why not ask your GP for something similar?

So far the best thing I have found is avoiding the 'triggers' that set it off. It's not always the only cause but once you find out what your main trigger is you can try and cut it out. For me it's stress, so I am on the hunt for a less demanding job and my GP advised that I take up yoga which also seems to work in aleviating stress. For other people the most common are alcohol, spicy food and strong sunlight. I am sure you know all this already but I thought I would menion it just in case.

I hope this helps!!

2 Posts

rasberry  ·  16 Sep 2011

hi i have taken antibiotics for rosacha but found them no good. i have a very red face and forehead its itchy and sore and i suffer from constant outbreaks of spots.i cant afford ipl treatmeant. does anybody know anything else that could help me as its really starting to get me down.im suffering for about ten years now

3 Posts

kaza2710  ·  19 Aug 2011

Thanks so much for this info Redhead. While the antibiotics have cleared up my skin the side affeacts are crap - the nausea is not great. My main concern is that I am not allowed to get pregnant while on the antibiotics as it would damage the baby and I do want children in the coming years so I would like to try and figure out alternatives that will work for me. Will defo be giving your thing a try! I really like the sounds of finding something natual that works.

25 Posts

redhead  ·  16 Aug 2011

Hi Kaza,

Just quick message- I stopped using antibiotics over a year ago coz too many side effects even though they worked really well. Anyway I have been trying lots of natural treatments (Zinc, Tea Tree oil, etc)for my bumpy rosacea skin-here's what working-taking Garlic tablet each day and drinking aloe vera juice, the aloe vera juice cleared up my skin within 3/4 days of drinking it on an empty stomach every morning-couldnt believe it- have nice glow now from it. As regards to flushing, I would give the IPL laser a go-it worked for me when I had the burning on my face-might take a few sesssions to work......

I still use the Tea tree oil if I get an occasional spot-just dab it on and leave overnight and it dries them out......

Hope this helps

RedheadLaughing

4 Posts

blackstar  ·  16 Aug 2011

hello you are 26 but i got my rosacea when  i was 20 now I 23 so you aren't  the youngest one. i not useing any antibiotics now just cream i try to control what i'm doing. Some doctor can recommendation ipl for flushing the best way is ask.

3 Posts

kaza2710  ·  15 Aug 2011

Hi, I am 26 and have recently been diagnosed with Rosacea. According to my doctor I am very young to develop the condition. He has prescribed me some strong antibiotics which have worked amazingly well so far, however he has informed me that due to my young age this is not a viable long term treatment option and I was looking for some advice on other treatment options.

In particular stress would be the biggest trigger for me, by far, and I develop the flushing and pimple like outbreaks on both my cheeks. As I don't have any issues with blood vessels in the skin I dont think laser treatment would be an option. Really just looking for some advice from others with Rosacea.

4 Posts

John111  ·  03 Aug 2011

may i ask where u had the v beam laser done rosinr?

1 Posts

Robinr  ·  03 Aug 2011

Hello, I have had two Vbeam Laser treatments and it hasn't done a thing for my broken Capillaries/facial veins. It almost seems as if I have more of them now  then when all of this started. Has anyone had any Luck with IPL for facial veins? I am going in for a consultation/possibly start treatments tomorrow, pretty spendy as it will take about 6 treatments they said. Will I notice any difference after the first treatment at all?

2 Posts

jose  ·  30 Jun 2011

hi everybody, i've got rosacea for about 10 years now. lately i've noticed that my nose seems to be a lot redder than it used to be. could someone please tell me if laser treatment causes much bruising. and would my nose be very sore for a few days afterwards.. also i read somewhere that when men get  rosacea on their nose, it is more severe than when women get it.so i was wondering maybe the laser treatment wont work as well for men as it would for women.  i would be very interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.. bye for now....jose   

4 Posts

blackstar  ·  29 Jun 2011

hello people i had 3 in blackrock clinick  treatments but i dont see any change maybe my face was less red but after party in saturday when i had few drinks have been  flushing at evening and is more red :-(

4 Posts

John111  ·  29 Jun 2011

hi redhead , i believe i have another condition called keratosis piliaris rubla faceli.i am going to have a pulse dye laser treatment for the facial redness as i believe it is successful in treating redness.i willl let people know how i get on when i get it next week.

John

25 Posts

redhead  ·  23 Jun 2011

Hi John,

The cost depends on how many "shots" of the laser but it was usually about 250 -300 euro per session-expensive but for me it was worth it-can claim it back on Medical expenses/Tax form. I cant really remember exactly how many sessions it took to see definate improvement but I'm guessing about 4 or 5-I had the burning on my face 24 hours a day and couldnt concentrate on anything with it. (u will see my earlier posts re this). I had it done all over my face (except forehead which was okay), I never get that burning feeling anymore thank God-even if my face looks red after exercise or whatever-it doesnt feel like its hot or burning so for me that's the best thing.

At the moment I'm not taking any medicines for rosacea only natural supplements for the pustules.... Zinc, Garlic and magnesium supplements and also use tea tree oil when needed and use MD Forte cleanser which I get in the clinic.

Let me know how you get on-u will have to meet Dermatologist first anyway to assess your condition and see if definately rosacea etc and he will recommend treatments.

RedheadSmile

4 Posts

John111  ·  22 Jun 2011

Hi redhead,

may i ask how much each treatment was for the blackrock clinic and how many treatments it took for an improvement to be seen?also what area did u have treated?i have had 4 treatments now on cheeks and nose and to date cannot see any improvement.i asked the derm wat level the machine was on and she sait it was on its highes level and that i worked my way up to the highest level over 4 treatments.

Did u see an improvent directly after the treatment or did it take a few days for the improvement to occur?

thanks

john

25 Posts

redhead  ·  20 Jun 2011

Hi John,

Personally, I got mine done in the Blackrock clinic, its the IPL (Intense Pulse laser) and they update machines with newest technology etc and they are qualified dermatologists so would recommend this clinic.

It will probably take a few sessions to work but they increase the intensity each time once you are able to tolerate it.

Hope this helps

Redhead

4 Posts

John111  ·  16 Jun 2011

Hi im new to this forum.

I have been getting treatment for flushing and constant facial redness in the berkely clinic in dublin.has anyone had any experience with this clinic?i have had 3 treatments spaced 2 weeks apart and havnt seen any results yet.does anyone know how long i should stay with the same treatment and derm.i believe they use the starlux ipl.can anyone recommend a good ipl treatment centre in dublin?

Thanks

John

25 Posts

redhead  ·  23 May 2011

Hi Rosa,

Sorry to hear you have the Rosacea but you can really keep it under control-first off yes the IPL will definately help with the redness/burning -might take a few sessions but keep with it. I gave up using Minocin well over a year ago-I personally think I got depression from taking it and started feeling unwell within a month of taking it-but at time I didnt think it was from an innocent antibiotic but in hindsight I am 99% sure that it was!!!!! But everyone is different....

I am taking Zinc citrate internally and using tea tree oil on my face and find it really good for pustules-it takes a while for tto to work but you have to persevere for few 2/3 months and your skin gets used to it. At start, your skin can get very red and dry from it but I used to get really itchy bumps that would just appear during the day and since I started the TTO I no longer get the itchy bumps-it does take time though and maybe start with one side of face and see how it goes. I personally would  never take an antibiotic for my skin again as they are very bad for immune system and eventually stop working anyway in my opinion.

I cleanse with MD Forte cleanser (which I get from Derm)-it has a very mild exfoliator(you dont even notice this), but I was thinking of trying a tea tree cleanser as I've had such good success with the Topical TTO. My derm did a biopsy from my skin few years ago and the demodix mite showed up -ugh but thats why the tto seems to be working for me as it kills it!!! No more itch -yipee. As you will see from earlier posts-I was using Sea salt water but dont think it was strong enough for the Demodox thingy. 

As regards foods-I avoid red wine and also find that dairy (especially cream, ice cream)breaks me out too.....

Anyway best of luck with IPL and let me know how you get on.....

RedheadWink           

3 Posts

Rosa de la Hayes  ·  22 May 2011

Hi,

Finally, I have had my long awaited appointment with dermatologist. The consultation lasted 5 minutes and cost €180. He examined my skin with a light and diagnosed Rosacea which was no news to me. He said there is nothing you can do about the redness except ILP treatment and prescribed Minosin for a period of 8 weeks for the pustules. He said I may have to go on Minocin for 8 weeks every year. Rozex makes the condition worse, (my experience too) and By-Mysin is not as effective as Minosin.  I informed him of the foods/drinks I avoid such as coffee, red meat, alcohol, spicy food. He didn't have any advice regarding the foods I should avoid or take. I told him I was using specific Clinique products and he said I should only use Clinique. I am not going to start on the Minocin yet as I have had an injury. Has anyone any advice regarding Minocin or an alternative?

Rosa de la Hayes

25 Posts

redhead  ·  18 Apr 2011

Blackstar,

Yes you can do normal things after the IPL- I avoid Red wine, port as this can cause flushing heat etc but should be okay with most things....you will need to check this yourself and see if you can tolerate alcohol but defo red wine is a no no for me...........Embarassed

4 Posts

blackstar  ·  15 Apr 2011

redface can you drink alcohol a do normal thigs after ipl ?

thank you for answer

4 Posts

blackstar  ·  15 Apr 2011

To RedHead you can drink alcohol after ipl traitment and you dont hav a flush after?

thank you for answer

3 Posts

Cheerio  ·  07 Apr 2011

Thank you ... you are a star, will keep you posted on progressWink

25 Posts

redhead  ·  07 Apr 2011

Cheerio,

Glad I can help-know its a tough time.

The foods I avoid are ice cream or any cream really as I find it breaks me out and get itchy spots on face after it, even Baileys drives my skin mad!!!! I dont touch red wine now and occasionally have glass of white but think vodka is okay....but dont drink much anyways so doesnt bother me too much. I eat pretty much everything else but defo avoid spicy foods and red wine/port for the moment.

Make up-well up to few weeks ago I was using Vichy Dermablend skin concealer (in a tube) and loved it-even though its a concealer I used it as a make up and had very good coverage and lasted for hours-HOWEVER as always happens they have now discontinued this and replaced it with a panstick which I dont like-too difficult to apply and very dry....they have a vichy dermablend foundation which might suit you but I personally dont like it as it gives a horrible look to my face!!! So I bought few different brands and to no avail so last fri I went to Brown thomas and went to MAC counter-the girl was lovely and I didnt want to just buy another make up and then find out it didnt suit etc etc so she took off make up and tried a few colours on my skin-turns out I was always putting yellow toned make up on to hide bit of red and blemishes but you should go with your natural colouring so I got a very natural colour and even though coverage is not as good as with Vichy-it has inbuilt moisturiser and my skin looks so much softer and more natural looking. THe one I got is MAC Studio Sculpt which also has added bonus of SPH15 BUT there are other MAC ones for Oily skin which I reckon would provide better coverage as they are drier.......  La Roche Posay do some make ups too for rosacea skin so try to get few testers of these.....

Cheerio, best of luck with dr and I know you will get the redness/blushing sorted and then you can deal with the pustules so dont give up hope okay......Wink

3 Posts

Cheerio  ·  06 Apr 2011

Thank you so much for so much info..Smile

I will definetly make appointment for doctor next week to get a referral for the dermatologist.  Do you mind me asking what foods to avoid (I know most of them) but do you have a strict diet and can you drink any alcohol at all?

My fear is that it will get worse fairly quickly, nobody only me really notices it as I look like have caught the sun, but I know it is different.  What about make up? Any recommendations?   Should I go to a beautician - I am very shy about things like this and dread the thought, but would rather get good solid advice from someone who knows.  I really appreciate your kind words of wisdom, thank you RedheadWink

25 Posts

redhead  ·  06 Apr 2011

Cheerio,

Sorry to hear that you are suffering so much from the burning etc-I can identify with you having gone through that too. I would suggest that you definately make an appt with a good dermatologist and suggest the IPL Laser for the redness and burning-prob better to go to one that provides this laser too-I went to Blackrock clinic and never looked back regarding the flushings and burning. It will take a few sessions to feel better but be patient-I remember even my face was burning in waiting room while waiting for first meeting with derm so dont despair. Touch wood-I have never had that awful flushing since prob 2006 and just now go once a year for IPL. It is an awful thing-it effects everything you do-exercising, going out for meals, work etc so dont think it will always be like this-it wont......

I still battle little bit with the pustules- as you can see from earlier posts, I've tried lots of things. With the last few weeks, get an odd itchy spot on my face and like you its only water in it-I'm using my MD Forte Cleanser (from Derm) but also using Tea Tree mixed with lil water especially around hairline and sparingly on face as think its the Demodex mite (which was confirmed by a biopsy done by derm few years ago).

I think you should go to derm, perhaps he/she might put you on Minocin/Minocycline for the pustules (this always cleared my spots but couldnt tolerate it-too many side effects for me but everyone's different-I know people who take it no problems) and ask derm to organise the Laser.

Personally I take my zinc, use sea salt after cleansing (changed from sea salt to tea tree recently as think demodex mite was raising its ugly head again and tea tree is stronger) so fingers crossed. Anyway start with the laser and see how you go................hope this helpsWink

3 Posts

Cheerio  ·  05 Apr 2011

Hi,

I have developed the red flushing in the last 6 months or so, so much so I have given up alcohol and hot showers!!  Now I am getting tiny water blisters under my skin and I am considering going to my doctor to get confirmed that it is Rosacea, I am really disappointed as I am very active but the flushing in my face and burning sensation is really dragging me down. Redhead seems to have great experience with this problem, can you update on your progress and give me a starting point Cry

3 Posts

Rosa de la Hayes  ·  22 Mar 2011

Hi,

I am just started taking By-Mysin antibiotics (Day 4). The pharmacist said that it would take 10 days to have any effect. I thought it was better to start on the antibiotics now as my apppointment with dermatologist isn't until mid May. I have read a few interesting articles on Rosacea and it appears that some people find Manuka honey very benefical. I have started taking Manuka (UMF 10+) honey, half an hour before meals. It can also be used on the skin to kill dermodex mites, which is supposed to have some link with Rosacea. I am not sure how one would apply the honey. Anyone have any information on that?

Rosa de la Hayes

1 Posts

Le Fant  ·  16 Mar 2011

Hi Everyone

I was researching rosacea online and came across this great thread.

Its really heartening to see this discussed as i started experiencing rosacea almost 10 years ago - im 34 now. I did some research on it a good few years ago and found very little out there. I had gone to a number of doctors and was pretty much always told that i was simply getting older and not to worry about it! I began to think i was actually going crazy :)

But i was really experiecing alot of discomfort and pain - almost constant headaches, facial flushing, worsening redness etc. I also in tandem began to experience thinning of my hair and a feeling like the inside of my nose was swollen, decreased sense of smell and not breathing as easily. Other symptoms i had was a noticeable slow down in my circulation and metabolism. I must point out that i've never really experienced pustules or rhynophyma.

I'm not sure if my situation that led to it is unique but i basically went through a very stressful experience and it all came on me almost overnight. i have a fair complexion and always had a healthy red glow even as a kid. But this glow turned into something far more sinister and almost angry!

This has led to me to realise a few things that i havent really seen discussed here primarily that I believe you need to treat this from both a psychological aspect aswell as a physical aspect. Now this may not hit home with all of you but it might for some. For me i definitely was experiencing far more anxiety in my life than i ever had before and this for me was/is definitely linked to my condition.

I havent got a solution yet but im currently working on something that involves this two pronged approach.

The one good thing i did find in my research was a link to an american rosacea specialist who just seemed years ahead of anything i had found through my endeavours with Irish doctors and dermatologists. He basically experienced a fairly extreme form of rosacea hmself and as a result devoted his life studies to identifying ways to cure this condition. I bought his book at the time (this was probably 6 years ago+) and it was really good and definitely hit home for me. He recommended grape seed extract, ester c, oils, water based moisturizers etc which i did take but admittedly they didnt have a huge effect on me. He also mentioned that for himself he found the mixed pulse laser treatment to be by far the most effecive treatment out there, depending of course that you don't react to it.

For me i didnt try this treatment as at the time it was only in the UK and i had read one or two horror stories from people who had bad reactions to it. I basically lost interest in it and just excepted it as something i had to deal with in life. To be fair this did work to a certain extent. I found that by not being consumed with this issue it freed my mind considerably. I smoke btw and enjoy a few guinness from time to time and just excepted the variety of slags from my mates....redzer yadda yadda yadda :) i do have reddish hair so kind of used to them really!

Anyway i recently began to take an interest again largely because of a few different experiences:

1) the fact that my endeavours in dealing with the psychological side were fruitful - i basically began bringing a few things into my life that alleviated stress/anxiety and having a reactive state of mind eg a really effective way of dealing with my "to do's" so as not to have a cluttered brain, also a really simple and lovely daily meditation that takes me about 25 mins in the morn and really facilitates a positive happy state of mind (for all you doubters btw i'm really not the kind of person who would have normally gone for the holistic approach but it does work!) Although this stuff defo helps it doesnt cure!

2) I also noticed that I regularly got relief from my symptoms - i still havent identified the triggers (as a poster put it "life is a trigger") and i also havent identified all the things that relieve it but i did notice certain things that helped - eg swimming in the sea did give me a noticeable relief, also noticed in my gym that a cold plunge pool seemed to have a positive effect too - i think thats primarily the cold water constricting your capillaries etc.

So anyway this sparked my interest again in seeing if i can do more to help from a physical point of view. I have very recently began corresponding with this Dr in the US and hopefully i will have something positive to report on my endeavours. I believe that the fact that he's experienced this first hand and seems to genuinely feel its a vocation for him to assist others with this condition is key. Its not cheap btw, $400 all-in for the consultations but his rationale for this fee is good and my instinct tells me he is genuine - i could be wrong but time will tell and i'll let you all know.

In meantime remember that there are far worse and debilitating things that you could be experiencing in life so its really not that bad in the greater scheme of things.

Also I would love to hear more and possibly see pics from people who have had positive experiences with IPL treatment. I will gladly share my thoughts with anyone who is interested on my approach to dealing with the psychological side of this.

Bye for now

25 Posts

redhead  ·  27 Jan 2011

Wesley/Irons,

Irons, you can probably get IPL done in Cork through a Dermatologist but insist on getting it done for the redness etc and if they dont recommend it for this then move onto a Dr that will as this is brilliant for redness ok-dont give up....

Wesley,

Give the IPL few sessions and dont despair as it may take a few to notice difference ok. Cant believe Dr put you on Roaacutane as this is only for acne, spots and pustules  and is known to cause very red face due to dryness etc so avoid this. I didnt find Minocin any good for redness-good for pustules alright but awful side effects of Depression for me-so long story short-never taking Minocin again ever!!!! I use the Zinc Citrate instead.

I also avoid red wine, milky products etc as my face gets itchy few hours after having them...

Best of luck ok-any questions let me know

3 Posts

Darby  ·  27 Jan 2011

Wesley,

You should try the IPL.  The tablets are just for the pimples and swelling - no improvement to the red face.  You should read Redfaces comments below- its a success story giving me hope!! 

1 Posts

wesley  ·  26 Jan 2011

I was diagnosed with rosacea a year and a half ago, and went on minosil first which done nothing for it, then I went on roacutane for 4 months which also done nothing.

The dermatoligist was surprised that roacutane done nothing for the condition. He put me back on minosil and rozex gel which doesnt seem to be doing anything for it either.

From my research these treatments seem to be mostly for pimple lumpy type rosacea, which I dont have. I have the flushing, general redness type rosacea. I easily flush for years i.e temperature changes etc. The dermatologist said to avoid triggers, but my triggers are so simple their unavoidable. life is a trigger!

I asked the dermatoligist would laser treatment help but he said you would have to have visible veins for that to work, he said it would not help for redness or flushing. however from my research it seems laser is both for flushing redness and visible veins. Any suggestions welcome as I want a solution that works asap

4 Posts

Irons  ·  26 Jan 2011

Hi again, the blackrock clinic is a bit far away from me in Cork, anyone know a place that is Cork local and reputable, with honest advice.

Thanks

25 Posts

redhead  ·  25 Jan 2011

Hi Irons,

I probably had 6 or 7 sessions for the first year and half and only go back once a year now but you may need less-the laser nurse will let you know. They do a test shot and if no reaction to it-they make appt for you then and you start sessions probably on a monthly basis.

I went to Dr Cal Condon- a Dermatologist and laser specialist at the Blackrock clinic and just meet the laser nurse now when I go for IPL. Its expensive but very worthwhile for me anyway and I'm sure you'll be the same. I met someone recently that just has redness on her nose and she is making an appt with this dermatologist too.

Look up the internet/phone directory for dr's number and see how you go. Best of luck anyway and by the way, the IPL is great for wrinkles and sun damaged skin too so you get 3 in 1- ha ha

Wink

1 Posts

beetroot  ·  25 Jan 2011

Hi iv had a big stupid red face for 3 years now and no matter wot i tried i couldn't get rid of it but now iv found something to control it... Zirtek antihistamines are only 4 euro and cleared it up completely for about 2 months for me last time, just started them again 3 days ago and im beetroot free already, its only 1 tiny tablet once a day for a week, worth a try if nothing else works for youCool

4 Posts

Irons  ·  24 Jan 2011

Thanks Redhead, just to be clear its €350 a session and I will need at least one session to see if I can tolerate it. Presuming I can tolerate it how many sessions will it take to get to your situation, as it sounds like we have something more or less the same? I have no pumps or acne its just red cheeks forehead like I have blood pressure. I take it the Blackrock clinic is not a beauty salon? It’s a genuine dermatologist centre.

3 Posts

Darby  ·  24 Jan 2011

Hi guys,

I used to go to a doctor (€150 per session) for my IPL and didn't notice a difference (4 sessions).  I moved to the Ailesbury clinic and i have already noticed a difference (around €350 for two sessions).  I think the machines they use really makes a difference.   

Also, the Ailesbury clinic recommended a cream by Agera "Recovery Complex" -it's great.  My skin feels so smooth and the dry patches are improving - i have only been using it for 2 weeks.  Make up is so much easier to get off now.  It is expensive though. 

They have told me to start using Barely mineral.  Do you use mineral make?  If so, what do you think of it?

Thanks

25 Posts

redhead  ·  24 Jan 2011

Irons,

I had the IPL done at the Blackrock clinic-its not cheap but I would definitely get it done at a reputable Dermatologist or hospital rather than from a beauty salon. The cost usually depends on how much of your face needs it-I usually pay €350 and get it done once a year. For me it really worth it as my face was beetroot red and had daily flushings and havent had them in 3 years now. It will take a few sessions as you have to have initial Laser done to see it you can tolerate it and then each time they increase the intensity until you get results.

For any bumps etc, I take zinc citrate each day and use seasalt and my skin looks better than it ever did so there is hope and dont despair ok. You can claim tax relief on the Laser costs just hold onto your receipts from Dermatologist.

Wink

« Prev Page Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation