Rosacea

302 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  31 Aug 2015

hi anyone interested in probiotics and supergreens for rosacea sufferers can find them on the website www.rosacea.ie

also as an alternative to anti biotics - there is also oil of oregano- also available on rosacea.ie.....

4 Posts

Skyfall  ·  24 Aug 2015

That's really cool Suzanne. Thanks for doing  that. 

1 Posts

Suzanne Doyle303  ·  21 Aug 2015

Hi.  I would like to update people on the situation regarding Soolantra.  It is available in the US.  Although it has been FDA approved it is still not available in europe - unless you order it for a cost of E1000.  There are however various articles about the use of Ivermectin which is the main ingredient in Soolantra. Ivermectin is widely available and is apparently effective in killing the demodex mite.  It seems to be safe to use topically at least, I'm reluctant to try it orally. Like most people I've tried everything at this stage.  My rosacea is primarily on my nose.  I do not have particularly fair skin and my skin is quite oily.  The rest of my face is totally normal.  My nose is now showing broken capillaries and gets quite inflamed at times.  Mineral make up does cover it up but I hate having to wear make up especially when the rest of my face is fine. I have yet to discover a product which really reduces the redness.  I am currently trying Ivermectin and will keep you posted.

1 Posts

kit_kat  ·  18 Aug 2015

I just wanted to share my experience on Rosacea and hopefully help some others out there.

I self diagnosed myself with rosacea in the last 6-9 months, but looking back I probablably have the condition a couple of years and didn't recognise it. I suffered from acne quite badly as a teenager so I think an outbreak about 2 summers ago was rosacea but I put it down to acne.

In the last few months I've mostly noticed redness on my cheeks and around temples. But a week ago I got a pretty bad outbreak of spots on my forehead and chin.

Having recognised it now I'm working on keeping it under control and most of the time it is. This latest ourbreak came after a month of being very busy, at times stressed, having lots of events (in particular weddings) involving lots of alchohol, and basically not looking after myself. I also think sun is a factor, I was in the sun last weekens which prob also contributed to the latest outbreak.I am pretty convinced however that the root cause of rosacea is issues with gut health and overall diet. I've read a lot of blogs and most success stories seem to come from people who address lifestyle and diet, rather than tryin to manage the problem with medicine or topical treatments; this has also been my experience.

In terms of reversing symptsom when they occur, I do the following: eat lots of healthy vegetables, avoid processed food (I dont eat it anyway). I dont eat dairy as I found it to be a trigger for my acne so I cut it out years ago. I also dont drink alcohol when I have a bad breakout. I have a juicer and so I make fresh juices (90% vegetable) and try and have one daily.  I take fish oils daily, as well as a multi vitamin. This week I have also got some extra supplements (olive leaf extract and pro biotocs) given severity of outbreak. I also got lots of rest.

As regards topical treatments, I have been washing my face with a very gentle cleanser and then using apple cider vinegar as a tonic. Then I apply sea buckthorn oil (more detail on this below).

After 5 days of this regime my skin is 80% better, no new spots have appeared and the old ones are healing.

Once symptoms have gone I try and maintain healty eating but I will have nights out and a few drinks etc. I believe  the 80/20 rules so that if you are living well 80% of the time your body can better deal with the odd blow out.

The best topical treatment I have come acorss is sea buckthorn oil which I read about on another rosacea blog. I bought it on Amason, the Sibu brand. Its 100% natural and plant based and I've been using it for the lat few months with great successs. Before this current break out (which I'm blaming 100% on lifestyle issues) my skin was completly clear. I think the combination of AVC and the oil has helped to clear the current outbreak. I also bought the capsules to take internally.

Just to reiterate though, I am convinced that the issue needs to be tackled internally and that topical treatments alone are not the solution. I have had digestive issues in the past so I think my gut is my achilles heel, so to speak Embarassed A mostly plant based diet with lots of fibre (very important to stay regular) is prob. the most important factor.

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  31 Jul 2015

absolutely dilute the tea tree oil - it might take a bit longer to work but it is better safe than sore and sorry.....finca rosacea serum contains organics rosehip oil which is an anti inflammatory oil and has proved very useful for rosacea...see how you go on with the tea tree first and then look at the serum

2 Posts

Murphy44  ·  31 Jul 2015

Hi Finola, 

I did not make any dietary changes.  However,  when I was getting the bumps,  I did notice they were particularly bad when I would eat ice cream or yogurt. Since my skin has cleared, I've eaten both and not had a single bump. I did a lot of research and tried many things including different oils and supplements.  I truly believe that my rosacea was caused by demodex mites and that the tea tree oil killed them.  I think the rosehip seed oil has been extremely helpful as well. I had small scars from the bumps that are completely gone. Thank you so much for the comments! 

4 Posts

gordokumite  ·  30 Jul 2015

Hi Finola,

For the redness, would you recommend diluting the Tea Tree Oil, and/or using your product?

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  30 Jul 2015

Hi Murphy 44 - thats brilliant about the tea tree oil....i posted a blog about 3 weeks ago on that very thing...tea tree oil as a natural killer of the demodex mite - will save you money by not buying Soolantra as it does the same thing, though you were taking a chance by not diluting it!!.....also the finca skin organics serum includes rosehip oil....anyone wanting my fortnightly blogs on rosacea can sign up by visiting www.rosacea.ie website....Murphy44 im genuinely delighted for you......can i ask did you make any dietary lifestyle changes at the same time??

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  30 Jul 2015

available on www.rosacea.ie - a new high protection tinted sunscreen especially developed for rosacea sufferers gives sun protection and some coverage. has been used by a male friend of mine with general overall facial redness - he used light to medium tint - and he really likes it.  gives enough coverage to give confidence without looking like a make up finish

2 Posts

Murphy44  ·  30 Jul 2015

Hi,  I've had Rosacea for the past five years. It  started with just redness in my cheeks,  but for the past three years I had bumps all over both of my cheeks and i have tried everything. I  was getting between 5 and 10 new bumps  every day and it was getting worse.  Three months ago I began using tea tree oil. I put around 6 drops on my fingers and rub it on my face, especially on my cheeks. Some people say it is too strong by itself, but I did not have any bad reactions. The bumps decreased as soon as i started using it. Over the past three months I have continued to use the tea tree oil and I also started using rosehip seed oil as well.  I have not had any bumps in weeks and my skin is continuing to improve.  I have almost no redness and my skin looks amazing.  The biggest improvement has been in the last few weeks. I have spent the last five years covering my face and I can't believe the improvement.  I've read the other posts on here and can relate to the depression and embarrassment Rosacea can cause.  I hope this helps someone else!

4 Posts

carllambert1993  ·  18 Jul 2015

hey guys just want to update on the vbeam situation, its been a couple of weeks since my last treatment. I asked the doctor to drop the pulse duration to get the the finest of blood vessels so he did a patch test with a 0.45ms pulse duration. The clearance in the areas is good. will hopefully get hit with a fulll face treatment in the following months when i can afford the downtime.

I have put links into this comment hopefully they will redirect you to the images once clicked Undecided

http://imgur.com/spwCKcz

http://imgur.com/tzV2mxn

http://imgur.com/HqOHV0c

http://imgur.com/DDm4bmL

6 Posts

living in hope  ·  14 Jul 2015

Clinique beyond perfecting foundation and concealer in one! Find this great and I have tried so many. Ask for a sample to try for a few days before you buy!!

3 Posts

savagegirl  ·  14 Jul 2015

I use bare minerals original & find it great for everyday use. Its really natural & makes me look like I'm not wearing make up. When I need more coverage & need a heavier makeup I use Clinique beyond perfecting. Go into someplace like brown Thomas or debenhams & get them matched to your skin tone & the colour won't look too brown on you. 

32 Posts

redhead  ·  14 Jul 2015

Raspberry,

I use Vichy Dermablend make up, its available in few shades and covers fairly well. I heard that Estee Lauder Double wear is good too for coverage but haven't used it myself so not sure... The dermablend range has concealers also in the same shades for cover ups....Wink Hope this helps

4 Posts

rasberry  ·  14 Jul 2015

Just wondering what make up people use.which is best to cover the redness but doesn't look very brown.thanks

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  14 Jul 2015

Hi there is a new website called rosacea.ie for anyone who is interested in reading more about the condition 

4 Posts

Skyfall  ·  07 Jul 2015

Hi John, 

I went through a bad phase of redness recently lasting about a month and a half. I tried taking Holland and Barrett brand vitamin B complex with vitamin C also included in each capsule and my redness has decreased after a week or two of use. Weather it was due for sure to the vitamins I can't say. The redness levels change up and  down over time anyway. But it seems to me to have a positive effect so I'm going to keep taking them for now. I had previously tried probiotic capsules and they didn't work for me. But maybe they will for you. 

6 Posts

living in hope  ·  07 Jul 2015

I've suffered with Rosacea for three years now and have tried everything. I recently heard of Skin Essentials by Mariga and my skin has never been better. Simple regime but effective. I'm even going make up free. Look her up on Facebook. 

32 Posts

redhead  ·  07 Jul 2015

Raspberry,

I recently started using clean and clear deep cleansing lotion (using it about 1.5 months) for sensitive skin and find it good. I suffer from the pustular type rosacea but skin gets red too but all the inflammation was under the surface and on the skin...this lotion initially felt cooling and as if its really clearing your skin and i definitely think its improved the look of my skin and doesnt irritate it or make it dry....in fact my skin is much softer to the touch... i would suggest you do a patch test for the first week or try one side of face, i did that until i knew i could tolerate it.... Hope this helps.....Laughing

4 Posts

rasberry  ·  06 Jul 2015

Just wondering what people use to wash their faces with . everything seems to make mine sting and irritated.

3 Posts

John Hennessy008  ·  04 Jul 2015

Hi whoopee, John here from kilkenny, I think you are right, I went to a dermatologist, diagnosed me with rosacea, he gave me mirsavo gel an efracea antibiotics, the antibiotics made my condition flare even worse, advised online not to use the mirsavo gel, waste of time and money going to the dermatologist, my doctor just won't listen, stopped taking the antibiotics and started on a low fat high fibre diet and a simple wash routine, and my face isn't half as bad, I was thinking of taking some probiotics capsules,  any tips or advice very welcome, thank you, Regards john. 

3 Posts

John Hennessy008  ·  03 Jul 2015

Hi there, new to this site, recently diagnosed with rosacea, any help or advice would be appreciated, on ointments such as soolantra or probiotics or any other treatments would be appreciated, thank you, Regards john. 

4 Posts

Skyfall  ·  29 May 2015

Thanks for the positivity and the hope that there can be some coming back from this. If after three months using vitamin B complex and probiotics I don't have success then I'm going to try vitamin A tablets and apple cider tablet and liquid form, after that I'll look into alternative methods again. Basically I'm methodically trying to find what will work  for me. I know this could lead to false conclusions because it's an up and down condition. From what I've read laser methods can worsen things. I'd be tempted to chance it if I spiral further into unbareableness. I'm from Cork and I would travel to any laser clinic in the country if I had confidence in the Dr's skills and knowledge so Louth wouldn't  be out of the question. 

Finola, your name sounds familiar. I might be wrong but I think recently I read about an Irish woman online who produces a lotion to combat redness. I might be interested in trying that to help my condition if it's something that has produces results. 

I haven't tried any topical treatments because the Internet is just full of people saying how little good any of it has done them. 

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  28 May 2015

hello skyfall - this condition is controllable...no reason why you shouldnt be out there dating and enjoying life...again - and it sounds like im a sales person for Dr Micheal Murphy in Drogheda Co Louth.- he has rosacea - has it under control - can treat the small broken capillaries and hence take down some redness...if you dont live near him - try to get his email address - i can give you his number - and he may give you some advice via email....it sounds like you are taking some steps to help yourself....keep a diary of what you are doing and look back in say 6 weeks to see if any improvement on a scale of 1 to 10....rosacea is mostly an inflammatory condition - often linked to food and drink and disorders of the gut - leaky gut?  so probiotics, food diaries to see what your triggers are and of course a good sunscreen as 70% of rosacea is triggered /exasperated by UV.... ok dont forget Dr Micheal - he has rosacea himself and can see things from a male perspective...stay positive  and get out there.......but no alcohol till you get it under control!!! and then you can tipple away like the rest of us!!   best of luck and good health    finola

32 Posts

redhead  ·  28 May 2015

Skyfall,

Don't be disheartened by it, i know we all feel like image and appearance is so important but really relationships dont last when based on looks, it goes way deeper than that. I used to feel the same but now i dont coz you will meet someone who loves you for who you are not, what you look like... Have you tried all the medical antibiotics and lotions? Minocycline works great for some people, for me it worked great for skin but not for my mood and felt awful on it even though my skin was flawless while on it. Now i just use natural stuff like zinc tablets and apple cider vinegar as toner...but i will try the soolantra in the future....Keep the chin up and stay positive because life goes on and try not to dwell on it.... Wink

6 Posts

Whoopie  ·  28 May 2015

No word on soolantra yet in Ireland my chemist said its available to buy in June here, it's looking promising for anyone with type 2 though

4 Posts

Skyfall  ·  27 May 2015

Rosacea happened for me very suddenly when I was 22. It was very subtle for about 1 year before that. I only noticed it when I came out of the shower. One night I drank alot of alcohol and my face has been transformed since. I've not touched a drink since I was 22. I'm 33 now and I'm noticing it's getting worse. I'm noticing some broken blood vessels and a small red swollen lump that  hasn't gone away in a year where there used to be a broken blood vessel. There's also some small red pimples that have persistently hung around my cheek bones for the last two months. I guess they're here for the long haul too. Redness has got worse around my cheekbones too. It's really detracted from my life and stopped me from doing things I would have done in my life, like traveling, and dating girls. Basically it's made me miserable. I had been coping with the level of rosacea I had and managing with my life, now that I see I'm entering into a new stage of rosacea I'm becoming very depressed with a regular sick sinking feeling in my stomach. I always wanted to have a family, it was my dream in life, but now I can't go after a girl I want. I pray that there will be a cure or procedures to get rid of this one day . I've started being proactive in my desperation to hold it at bay somehow. I'm on a course of probiotics and I'm trying vitamin b complex and I also read head and shoulders shampoo has been known to help people. The hardest thing about this disease is it interfering with my chances of ever having a family. I try console myself with telling myself I could have something life threatening. But it's nightmarish. I could never have forecast this for myself when I was thinking about the future as a young man. What a bodyblow. 

32 Posts

redhead  ·  25 May 2015

Any reviews on Soolantra yet? Would love to hear any good/bad reviews? I suffer from type of rosacea with spots so hoping that its something i could use in the future....Laughing

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  22 May 2015

hi savage girl - will you let us know here at irishhealth   - i would be really interested as im sure others who look at this website would also be...again -best of luck!!  finola

3 Posts

savagegirl  ·  21 May 2015

Thanks a million for all the information. I'm about 20 minutes from Drogheda so ill give them a try. Hopefully it'll work for me :)

4 Posts

carllambert1993  ·  20 May 2015

savagegirl - I go to Dr. Murphy in Drogheda and would highly recomend him. He has a pulsed dye laser *vbeam* that he uses to treat rosaeca redness. I have had two treatments so far and am happy with the results. i'll probably need another zap or two to get full clearance. He charges 150 euro for each laser treatment which is fantastic compared to the crazy prices the Doctors in Dublin charge.  You can also go to your GP and get a referral letter to St. James's hospital they have a laser unit and use a *vbeam* pulsed dye laser to treat rosacea redness, unfortunately there is a one year waiting list but something to look into if your not in a rush. Not sure if you would have to pay if you were to go to St. James's

Bons Secours hospital in cork also have a pulsed dye laser for rosacea redness just in case any lurkers on this forum are around that area.

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  18 May 2015

Hi Savagegirl - if you go to see Dr Micheal - would you mind letting me know how you get on or post about your experience on this site...i think it would be useful to build up a ist of dermatologists around Ireland who are expert in treating rosacea... i think it might really help other sufferers of the condition...Best of luck!!

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  18 May 2015

Hi there is a dermatologist based in Drogheda Co Louth who actually has rosacea and also treats it...he would be ideal for you i think...his name is Dr Michael Murphy. His clinic number is 041 9806320… There are a couple of doctors in that clinic so make sure you ask for Dr Micheal. 

12 Posts

Surfer808  ·  15 May 2015

Hi Whoopie, just wondering if you have tried the Soolantra yet & if it's any good?

3 Posts

savagegirl  ·  14 May 2015

Hi, could anyone recommend a dermatoligist in the dublin or louth area? I was diagnosed with rosacea two years ago by my gp & have been on effracea. It does help with the breakouts but not with the redness or stinging. I also have a lot of broken veins on my face. My gp is currently on maternity leave & i don't have confidence in her cover. I'd like to get a dermatoligists recommendation & possibly look at laser treatment.

Would laser treatment be covered by Vhi or would i be better off going public?

Thanks.

6 Posts

Whoopie  ·  12 May 2015

Soolantra looks like it's available from today, woohoo, hope it's the cure for me, anyone with type 2 should investigate, I'm off to get a prescription tomorrow https://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicines/medicines-information/find-a-medicine/results/item?pano=PA0590/028/001&t=SOOLANTRA

17 Posts

Finola Fegan419  ·  29 Apr 2015

Hi Emily, you are not alone by any means . there us a new website called rosacea.ie which you might be interested in..its new and solely for the condition rosacea...it will be constanly updated with any latest tips and advice from rosacea sufferers around the world....see what you think

1 Posts

emily34  ·  28 Apr 2015

HI, i have just come back from a clinic and they confirmed I have rosacea, I am devastated to be honest, they sold me 230 euro worth of home care products, ZO Skin Health, has anyone ever tried these? There is salicylic acid in them and now I am reading its an ingredient to be avoided? Also thet said gentle exfoliation is required to remove dead skin but I am also reading now it should be avoided. I am so upset and confused. I dont know where to begin and evrything says if you dont get it under control it will get worse

1 Posts

Swaywithme  ·  16 Apr 2015

It seems a lot of people in this forum favor laser treatment for Rosacea. there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, there can be no general cure for Rosacea. Sometimes it works for someone, sometimes it doesn't. Individually, the best thing to do is discover your own regimen, the one the suits you. For example. Im not really into laser treatment. I have tried once and my red patches recur few month after. I mean, it's alright, at least I have experieced "no red patches moments" which i think everyone of us desires. After my spots recurred, I opted to use a topical cream called SR Lotion which I found online at srlotiondotcom. From that moment on, I have no problem with flare-ups. I have mine at a moderate level to almost undetection. 

12 Posts

Surfer808  ·  16 Dec 2014

Thanks Redhead. Sadly us guys don't have the luxury of wearing any make up to cover up! Laughing I hope to definitely go for the IPL, I was thinking about going to a beauty therapist nearby who does that but I'm a bit wary as I'd imagine someone like your doctor would be a lot more professional. Plus I don't wanna be seen going into a beauty salon! :) I'll see how things pan out.

Yeah avoid coffee/chocolate etc if you can, basically anything that tastes nice! :) Cheers for the info, hope u have a great xmas.

Write a comment...