Hysterectomy

213 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

1,371 Posts

kissey  ·  02 Feb 2009

hi

rogie

you shouldnt be doing any sort of house work, you are not giving your body time to get well, i was out of bounce for six/8 weeks, i had family who helped a lot, u will be tender for a while, if u r still sore go to see your doctor, im sure they can give u something stronger for the pain. and remember what i said, NO HOUSEWORK, JUST SIT AND RELAX, u can try going for walks, but wait till its milder out, dont go out in that freezing cold, if u keep doing housework u r going to end back in hospital,

12,082 Posts

Anonymous  ·  02 Feb 2009

Hi Rogie, it sounds like you had the surgery by external incision for some reason so this makes it harder. Remember you had major abdominad surgery with skin and muscle beig cut through and an organ removed so you will need to take it easy for at least 6 - 8 weeks.

3 Posts

Rogie  ·  31 Jan 2009

Hi Girls,

I just had my hysterctomy on the 15th of January and instead of it getting easier I seem to be getting more sore as time goes by. My scar stings and my tummy is very tender and even the duvet hurts my stomach. After a week I started doing a bit of ironing is this too soon as I find it very hard just to sit.

Rogie

12 Posts

cyprus mum  ·  16 Dec 2008

Hi Girls,

Had my hysterectomy in April, as you can see by the posts. I then developed a large cyst on my left ovary. I have just come out of hospital, having both ovaries removed now (and the large cyst). The pain started three months after my hysterectomy. Everyone was telling me it was just the scar and having to adjust to that. I knew that something was wrong as the pain was too localised. Thankfully that is now sorted. I start my hormones tomorrow. If any of you get pain that "feel" different, act on it. Go to your gp. Don't let it slide. It could turn out to be something. I'm now on the slow road back again. Never thought that 8 months later I would have the same wound opened up again. Ah well, that's life. Good luck to everyone. Gill

12,082 Posts

Anonymous  ·  16 Dec 2008

Hi Kissey,

A total hysterectomy, as far as I know means the entire womb is removed. In a sub-total hysterectomy is when the cervix is left. In extreme cases the ovaries are removed and thne the patienbt will need HRT to replace what the ovaris would have produced, as far as I know.Thanks for postign your story tho, it sounds like you might be pre-menopausal but testign your hormone levels will confirm that.

1,371 Posts

kissey  ·  11 Dec 2008

hi

when you say a total hysterectomy, do u mean your tubes and overaies. i just had my womb remove, now u mention about being sore after about four weeks, i was so sore for a few months, my scar was numb, but my insides were sore, i was on strong pain kilers, and i was in bed for at least two weeks after i came home from hospital, i still remember it as if it was yesterday. i tried to get out, but small walkes is all i could do, shopping was a task for me, but i had my hubby who supportive me all the way through, i lived in a mobile home then, but i was just right beside my inlaws who were great with me. u should not be even thinking about going back to work if u r not able to, u should ask your doctor about this, he / she might be able to help u. a womans body goes though a terrible ordel after such an operation, i had no choice but to have that op. i was getting my periods every two week, doubled in pain, id say i got abot two days without pain, if i was lucky. i was told my womb was so hugh that it needed to come out, i asked about having another child, was advised not to as there was no gurantee if me or the baby would survive, i had my operation three months after my appointment, i was very depressed after the operation. the doctors said thats natural, i cried for days. then my gp said to me one day u r going through a depression, , i denied this for years and then i had to go back and see him, i told him u were right i cant cope, . i suffer with depression now, some days are great , now my depression has been great . but these past few weeks i am at a low point. i might be going through the early stages of menapause. i have had tests done there just the other day. my gp said its 10 years since i had my operation. so it wont be any surprise if im told that im going through this, im getting hot flushes a lot, im teary mood, god my moods are terrible, and tired.

1 Posts

toomuch  ·  11 Dec 2008

I had a total hysterectomy on 10-24-08 I was in the hospital for 5 days. The first 3 weeks after surgery I did a lot of resting. The 4th week after surgery I started doing things around the house to keep me moving nothing streneous. I go back to the doctor on 12-12-08 for my second post-op visit. I was still very tender around the incision area. Now I am find my self now into the 6week feeling stabbing pain around the incision area it is not often that I have those sharp pains. I am begining to stiffen up a lot now. I was thinking about returning back to work after 8 weeks when I go back to my doctor. I also find myself very exhausted at time not having done much, but just the walking around the grocery store wears me out. I am a very fit person but it seems like it is just taking everything out of me as well. Doing the surgery I also had to have both of my appendix removed as well and some of the bowel taken away a reconstructed. So when do you think would be a good time for me to return back to work my job is not streneous at all it is just sitting for 8 hrs.

1,371 Posts

kissey  ·  06 Aug 2008
hi
i had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago. i had no choice as my womb was very enlarged and i kept getting my period every two weeks, agony all the time. i was so sore from my operation. i didnt have sex for a while as i too was sore. a woman that has this job done, yes of course she is going to be sore from it and yes its going to be difficult to have sex after a while. you might have an infection. you are due to see your doctor again so tell him or her what its like for you. they will be really nice about this. dont be worrying, it will all come back to you.

Anonymous  ·  26 Jun 2008
Ladies, I wonder could you give me some advice - a friend of mine has also had a hysterectomy - vaginal surgery.
She is in her 50's, a petite lady and quite fit - her hysterectomy was due to a severe prolapse (due to birth related truama) and she also had a pelvic lift - pelvic floor repair surgery. She as recovered well and was aware that following surgery the vagina would be shorter and need stretching.
However now 7 months post op she and her husband tried to have relations if you know what I mean but she found it incredibly painful, very tight and he couldn't penetrate fully.
She never had any of these problems before.
ould any of you ladies have any words of advice or ideas as to what might the problem be.
She has a gyn apt in three weeks but is so upset and worried.

12 Posts

gill (SKG68879)  ·  26 Jun 2008
Hi Judy,

I'm sure when we all went into the hospital, the thought did cross our minds. I was impressed with the nurses, and staff the way they cleaned and washed etc. all the time. I was more concerned about getting through the op, and how I would feel post-op, than the possibility of MRSA. It was only after a friend came to see me, I realised that I was lucky to be feeling ok, and was relieved to be home at the end of the week, (in one piece!) Gill

Anonymous  ·  17 Jun 2008
Ladies, just to note, pain is a sign that something has gone wrong in your body and is something you should always always always take seriously. It is not an inevitable side effect of surgery any more than sleeplessness is. For example my father had major heart surgery ad successful pain management meant that he had NO pain following surgery. Soreness and discomfort yes, but no pain.
I have my opinion about post-operative infectiosn (similar to MRSA). What a sad indictment of our hosptals that GPs don't want patients re-admitted.

5 Posts

Rosy  ·  17 Jun 2008
I had my Hysterectomy five weeks ago but the tissue around the wound was not healing as it should and I was in terrible pain. He said one of my stitches did not heal properly and had go infected with a bacteria, he diagnosed cellulitis which he said can sometimes develop in the abdomen following surgery.

Initially he said that he had considered re-admitting me to hospital but decided against it as the infection risk from MRSA is too great. He is treating me with anti-biotic's, and I have been back to see him a number of times to change the dressings and basically he is monitoring the healing process now.
So girls if your wound is painful and if you notice any weeping from the area go back to your GP as soon as possible.

Anonymous  ·  11 Jun 2008
Remember Gill, you have had major surgery - an organ removed, basically and all that this entails, including soreness, stitches, immobility etc.
After all if you had lung surgery, recovery would take months also.

12 Posts

gill (SKG68879)  ·  10 Jun 2008
Thanks Patricia. Will try to take on board what 'the experts' (ie: fellow hysterectomites!) are saying. After all, unless you have travelled the road, people just don't seem to get what I'm trying to convey. I know it's a common enough procedure, but when it's happened to you, it seems to just take over your life for a very long time, even on a subliminal level. We all want to feel like wonder woman, and try not to be burden on anyone. I'm just thankful that I have not had too many problems, so far. The acid test - will be returning to work. I'm only going to go back one day a week from next week. I don't want to take on too much as the tiredness is still lurking around every hour! Hope you get better soon.

9 Posts

patricia (BDO65353)  ·  10 Jun 2008
Gill Im coming up to the four month mark following my op and I still find it a struggle when walking any distance. My back feels like it is about to open up the pain is so bad. Was back with my GP the other day, did some bloods to check my iron and vitamin levels because I'm feeling so exausted all the time. Don't listen to anyone telling you you should be feeling yourself by now, your body will tell when, and even my GP said much the same thing to me, he said it can take a lot longer than the three months,thats only an estimate given to everyone, but my inside stitches are still only healing now, so chin up and don't worry, and relax and take your time, not easy I know.

Anonymous  ·  10 Jun 2008
For me - about 6 - 8 months and I felt fully "normal" after about 8 months but I had had severe prolapse and several procedures / surgeries - ring, sling, pelvic floor repair etc over time prior to surgery, so there was inherent damage to muscle and surrounding tissue.

12 Posts

gill (SKG68879)  ·  09 Jun 2008
Hi Judy, no I'm still proud owner of the ovaries and tubes. I suppose the weight gain is purely activity versus tiredness. The mind is willing - the body unable, at present. I wonder when I will be able to take a long stride, whilst walking. Does that happen to everyone?How long was it until you felt back to normal?

12 Posts

Peg  ·  09 Jun 2008
I have had 2 LLETZ treatments and only 1 clear smear in 4 yrs and now they are doing blood tests for Hepatitis etc, I dont know what to be thinking really. I'm only 30 and have no kids?

Anonymous  ·  09 Jun 2008
Gill, it sounds as tho the people telling you you should be "feeling yourself" have never had a hysterectomy. I would say give yourself three months at a minimum before you can consider yourself recovered. Remember you had major surgery. With regard to the weight. If you had your ovaries removed along with hysterectomy, then you may need to consider replacing those hormones as their loss can result in much easier weight gain.

12 Posts

gill (SKG68879)  ·  06 Jun 2008
Does anyone else get the lower back pain and achy pain in the scar area after a walk? Did a mile walk and although took it easy, when I got home had a stich (excuse pun) in exactly that area! How long does this pain take to subside. If walking and gentle exercise is good for us, when does it start to do us good? Surely taking Panadol etc. afterwards is not the answer. I get frustrated at the slow progress and fed up with people telling me how I should be starting to feel 'myself' now. It's only just over 8 weeks now.Fatigue is very underrated and not recognised enough. Have also put on another two pounds. If you don't get moving, the weight will, it seem creep on, and that's with being careful. It's a vicous circle that women have after a hysterectomy, that because we are trying to do all the right things, it doesn't always work out that way. Any suggestions girls?

Anonymous  ·  30 May 2008
Certainly not Peg, LLETZ, is to treat abnomal cervical cells - usually CIN2 or CIN3, to prevent them worsening. Women who have LLETZ treatment are no more nor no les lekely to go on to need further treatment - which would be another LLETZ or worst case scanario, a removal of the 'cone' of the cervix. In fact early treatment makes it less likely or any worsening of the condition which in extreme cases might warrant a hysterctomy. LLETZ is a day procedure in hospital requiring usually local aneasthetic and thew cervix heals and regnerates within 6 months (hence it is imporant that you do not try to concieve within 6 months - and until you get the all clear at your following up appointment) wheras a hysterectomy is major surgery.

Anonymous  ·  30 May 2008
Im getting treatment at the moment on abnormal cells(LLETZ), will i eventually need a hysterectomy?

Anonymous  ·  29 May 2008
I had my hysterectomy 10 months ago. I'm 55. I live alone so went to a nursing home for a fortnight, and when I came home my friends did all my housework initially. I began to do light things at 6 weeks, and most things at 12 weeks. I was doing fine and delighted with myself, but I now have numbness and tingling and pain in my right hand and foot and pain in my right knee. I haven't heard of anyone else having these symptoms, but I'm sure they're related to the op. I'm quite fed up and wonder if I'll ever be better.

12 Posts

gill (SKG68879)  ·  27 May 2008
Hi Rosy,
Glad to hear things have eased up for you. Yes, the trick with the food is take it easy. I have now put on the 3lbs in weight that I lost in the hospital. Even after the week, I just had soup & bread, scrambled eggs, you know, no big heavy three course meals (unless that's your thang). as one nurse told me, your body has had a shock, and the bowel needs time to recover. It doesn't need a full scale attack at the moment. Little steps.
I'm on the Galfer iron pills for another two months. It is long term after such an op. Your body needs months to make more good blood cells. Chat again. Gill

5 Posts

Rosy  ·  27 May 2008
Hi Gill,
Thanks for your support the vomiting has settled down now but I will take your advice and try the porridge as you suggest. I had an iron injection in my GP's the other day and I am now taking a 100% natural iron supplement Spatone prescribed by my doctor although you can buy it OTC. Hopefully I will get over this tiredness but I will take it easy and get as much rest as needed.....Good Luck

5 Posts

Rosy  ·  27 May 2008
Hi Patricia,
Thanks for your support. I agree that the tiredness is the worst part of the recovery process, It isn't like normal tiredness, I am completely exausted and feel guilty about spending some much time in bed. I had an iron injection in my GP's and am now taking a 100% natural iron supplement (Spatone) that the doctor recommended. Hopefully I will begin to feel better soon. Good Luck with you recovery...

12 Posts

gill (SKG68879)  ·  26 May 2008
Two weeks is I suppose expecting miracles. I was being told not to expect too much at that time. Did you talk to your Dr. about the vomiting? I received intraveneous iron in the hospital, so don't worry about that. You may have to take Iron pills for a couple of months, which is normal after major surgery. The most important thing that I've learnt after now 8 weeks is to rest. The tiredness is something else. It just comes on you in waves. Just try to rest and eat porridge or light things. Don't rush. Keep writing in,if you feel you need support. There's not enough of that around for us women who have undergone this op. You tend to feel isolated at first. Good luck.

9 Posts

patricia (BDO65353)  ·  26 May 2008
I am now ten weeks post op, feeling great apart from when I overdo it a little. Then I get quite sore and my back hurts enough to take some pain relief, but the tiredness is the worst part of the recovery process. It isnt like normal tiredness, its more like complete exaustion. But I know this will take time to settle down. I have no regrets about having the op, I have lost weight which I couldnt do before, back to my normal weight now and all the pain that I suffered for almost three years is gone, I was on six different pain meds a day. Wont be going back to work for a while yet though, Im not going to rush things.

Anonymous  ·  23 May 2008
I am just 2 weeks post Hysterectomy, I am having problems with my digestion. I can eat a normal meal but in some cases vomit afterwards which is most upsetting as I have to hold my wound and fear my stiches will burst. I am also so tired....and my GP has given me an iron injection can anyone comment or offer advice. Am I expecting too much too soon?

Anonymous  ·  22 May 2008
Im just 7 weeks into post op. Was thinking of doing a little work at about 12 weeks. Have had the stabbing pains at scar area.My Dr said that the internal healing takes a long time, the muscles etc. are constantly changing and re-forming. You have to be patient, I suppose.My sister-in-law also told me that the internal bleeding can take up to 6 months to stop.Anything worrying you, go immediately to the Dr. They are there to help you and give you the reassurance you might not get at home. I found myself getting a little low nowdays. Might be the fact that I can't be at work. Get bouts of extreme tiredness, which does come on you very quickly. Reading about the PMT being worse. Yes, funnily enough, reading that made sense to me. Just because the periods have stopped, all the other stuff doesn't. Does anyone else get that, and do you take Starflower oil etc. still to combat that?

9 Posts

patricia (BDO65353)  ·  17 Apr 2008
I'm only 6 weeks post-op and still extremely sore with a lot of back ache. I have quite a few friends who have had a hysterectomy a few years ago and they have all said the same thing, that it takes a good twelve months or more before you feel anything like back to normal, but as for the bleeding, maybe you should consult your GP about that just to be on the safe side. I don't take anything for granted when it comes to my health, always get checked out if your worried at all, it puts your mind at rest at least. Hope your feeling better soon.

Anonymous  ·  16 Apr 2008
I had a hysterectomy about six months ago. I find myself still very tired and in the last week or so, I was bleeding (not very often, but enough to get me worried). I also get stabbing pains around my scar. Is this normal or do you think I should go to my doctor to be on the safe side.

Anonymous  ·  20 Mar 2008
Does anyone have any helpful exercises to speed recovery after an abdominal Hysterectomy. Also, has anyone used a belt afterwards and is this any good?

Anonymous  ·  09 Mar 2008
hi i had a hysterectomy nearly 5 years now, mine was a life saving operation i went in to have a baby but there were complications and ended up having an emergency hysterectomy, at first i was so sad that i couldnt have any more children i was only 32 and wanted to have more, plus i never had any complaints with my uterus so it was very hard for me to go into hospital with my uterus and leave without it, that was the hardest thing for me, but physically after i was fine and sexually i was not in the mood for a year or two but my husband has been so patient it made it easier, so basically mentally has been the hardest for me not the physical side,

Anonymous  ·  05 Feb 2008
I'm glad I was of some help Patricia. Yes, I'd love to hear how everything went for you. Just remember, 2008 is going to be your year!.

9 Posts

patricia (BDO65353)  ·  04 Feb 2008
thank you Annie for your comments, it has really helped me this is exactly what I was looking for . The idea of being able to administer your own pain relief when you need it sounds great as you said especially when you have to move about, it has eased my mind so much to know that and yes I will be talking to the nurses before hand . Thank you again and I hope you are in good health now, will let you know how I get on.

Anonymous  ·  04 Feb 2008
Hi, I had my hysterectomy exactly ten years ago and I totally understand the anxiety you are feeling right now, my concern was mainly the pain too. As with all surgery there will be the inevitable discomfort afterwards but rest assured you will receive as much pain relief as you need.

For me, that was in the form of an IV drip attached to a small machine where you are in control of the pain relieving drug dosage. By pressing a bell, similar to the one you use to call the nurse, the machine releases a small amount of the drug and gives you practically instant relief. This can also be handy just before you need to move which can be a bit uncomfortable in the beginning.

I was weak when I first started to move out of the bed, the next evening, but I had a nurse each side to help me take my first couple of tentative steps. It's always a huge psychological boost when you've taken that first little walk. Talk to the nurses about any concerns you have before and after your surgery, you'll find they'll be only too willing to put your mind at ease and again, don't worry about the pain, the nurses will look after you. There may be days when you feel less energetic than others but overall as each day goes by you will be that little bit stronger.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope that everything is truly well for you in the coming months and years.

9 Posts

patricia (BDO65353)  ·  01 Feb 2008
I am due for hysterectomy next month and have found reading comments most helpful, both the good and the bad. I dont mind having the op because I cant continue as I am at present, i.e. the most terrible back pain, sickness, and the feeling that my inside is going to drop out every time I walk any distance, plus the usual pain that goes with endometriosis. The thing that worries me most is the post op recovery, I have a very low pain threshold and not usually a very good patient when it comes to dealing with a lot of pain, do they give you a lot of pain relief in hospital and to take afterwards and do you feel really weak when first out of bed and for how long afterwards when you get home.

17 Posts

tyang  ·  24 Jul 2006
hello all this is the first time i have looked into this topic. i had to have this opperation when i was only 29 yrs old now i am 46 and i have never looked back . as with all things we all heal at different rates, i was back in full time employment after 12 weeks and would have gone back earlier if i had been allowed, in saying this my neighbour also had this procedure a few years later and was very weak for at least 6 months,so my advice is listen to your body and dont take chances dont push yourself let nature take its course and heal at your rate
good luck girls..

Anonymous  ·  04 Jul 2006
I had my hysterectomy in 1998, I had really good support from my husband. I didnt have to do housework for at least 9 weeks. I did try doing little things like lifting and filling the kettle. But I felt dragging pain in the pit of my stomach, and the groin area. I would advise any women not to overdo things for at least 12 months. It is a major operation.I do realise that it is not always possible for women to take lots of rest for 12 months but it is vital that they get some domestic help. If not, leave the house work, just do what you can. Nothing strenous otherwise it will set you back. I felt ontop of the world after taking things in my stride and not rushing back to work, after all it is our health, not finance that we must be concerned with.

« Prev Page Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation