| |
(Wednesday, 30th Jul, 2014)

Bad breath

19 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

1 Posts

Dublin2006  ·  19 Mar 2007
Hi all, to reply to Kev, what you have might be tonsiloliths. I have read about them in the following website: http://d117031.u41.altonet.co.za/articles&info10.htm
that I accessed today from the main website http://www.therabreath.com/index.asp
they talked about these products in www.cbsnews.com.
Apparently, these products are on sale in Boots but I do not know if it is true.

Anonymous  ·  15 Mar 2007
I\'ve noticed over last few years that every couple of months I cough up a little white lump of stuff from my throat somwhere--it seems to build up somewhere at the back of my mouth or something ..I asked the dentist and he didnt know!! Can anyone help me on this?thanks

Anonymous  ·  05 Aug 2006
For a number of years I suffered with bad breath, however , about a year ago I started using the small little dental brushes to clean between my teeth after every meal, you would be quite amazed how much "gunk" gets caught between your teeth while eating - my husband used to tell me how bad my breath was every morning even after scrubbing them the night before. since i started usingthe brushes my problem seems to have cleared. It was my dental hygenist who reccomended the brushes. Good Luck.

Anonymous  ·  20 Jul 2006
So ok, thanks for the analysis Tommy et all but really for sufferers who we have established have excellent oral hygiene and are very self conscious about this issue WHAT IS THE CURE? What products work? What products don't? Has anyone who sufers from this come across anything that does actually help. I too have this problem and it is really affecting my self confidence. Has anyone tried the Therabreath range - available from Boots...I'm going to buy some today and will report back here. I'm also going to book an appointment with a dental hygenist to try to get to the bottom of it and get rid of this awful condition.

Anonymous  ·  18 Oct 2003
A week ago I bit my tongue and got 4 stiches - now I have bad breath and my tongue is furry and yellow does anyone have any ideas ??

1 Posts

Tommy (TomKav)  ·  21 Sep 2003
In virtually all cases, the odours from bad breath are caused by anaerobic bacteria found primarily within the surface of the tongue (and, to a lesser extent, at the back of your throat). "Anaerobic" literally means "without oxygen". This means that they can’t survive in an oral environment which contains high levels of oxygen.

If you look very closely at the surface of your tongue in a mirror, you’ll see that there are many tiny fibers on its surface. These are called “papillae”. Since the bacteria are anaerobic, they cannot survive on the surface of your tongue (because of the oxygen in your mouth). Instead, they exist (mostly towards the back of your tongue) down between the papillae.

These bacteria (actually, they’re a group of bacteria) are NOT infectious - they’re normally found in everybody's mouth. Their function seems to be to help break down proteins in the food that you eat, in mucous and phlegm produced by your body, and in diseased or damaged tissue in your mouth.

As a byproduct of their normal functions, they excrete a variety of sulfur compounds. These compounds are very foul smelling –among others, they include hydrogen sulfide (the smell of rotting eggs!) and methyl mercaptan (the essence of skunk oil!). Together, they are all commonly referred to as Volatile Sulfur Compounds (VSCs).

Everyone has some level of unpleasant VSCs present in their breath. Fortunately, low levels of these smelly compounds can’t be detected by the human nose.

However, sometimes the number of VSC-producing bacteria in the mouth can increase dramatically thereby causing the levels of these compounds to increase in a similar fashion. It is then that the levels of VSCs being produced start to become detectable to the human nose and it becomes "bad breath".

I must point out here that bad breath is absolutely NOT caused by poor dental hygiene. In spite of what your dentist might say, you can brush your teeth all day long and probably still have bad breath! (That is not to say you shouldn’t brush your teeth - of course you should!).

In fact, those who suffer from bad breath are actually more likely to have excellent dental hygiene habits – they’re more likely to be brushing effectively in a (futile) effort to get rid of their bad breath problem. While this is great for your teeth, it’s just not tackling the actual cause of bad breath (the VSC-producing bacteria).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tommy.

Anonymous  ·  11 Sep 2003
Hi,
Please help if anyone can. I have terribly bad breath it seems to be getting worse. It seems to come from the back of my throat(like the back of mt throat feels clogged)After I eat crisps,onions or strong foods my breath can reek for hours. My wife finds this abonimable. Please help as it ti making me depressed & unsociable.

Anonymous  ·  26 Jun 2003
In my message about gingivitis/periodontitis (disease of the gum) and interdental brushes, I forgot to mention the following: use Corsydil (a mouthwash for gingivitis or periodontitis) on the interdental brushes (I don't use Corsydil as a mouthwash as it is very strong, and, if I remember correctly, it is for short-time use only; it also stains the teeth). A toothpaste called Parodontax (good for gum disease) can be used on the interdental brushes too, as well as for ordinary brushing. Gum disease is well worth controlling for another very important reason too: if allowed out of control, it damages the tooth's connection to the gum and can eventually lead to the loss of the tooth. There are also some chewing gums, available in chemists, that reduce the amount of harmful bacteria in the mouth.

Anonymous  ·  25 Jun 2003
There are different reasons for bad breath, but in relation to the type oringinating from the mouth, you may have gingivitis or periodontitis (disease of the gum). In my experience brushing combined with (super) floss and a mouthwash are not sufficient to get rid of the bacteria. Indeed I think some of the ordinary mouthwashes are not too effective at all for the condition though Oral-B mouthwash is good. You need to use tapered interdental brushes (available in chemists -- get the thick ones) between the teeth, and you need to do it every morning because our breath is worst after sleeping. Dip the interdental brush in the gingivitis/periodontitis mouthash and push it back and forward between the teeth, especially between the teeth where the gum is infected. To find out where you are infected use the interdental brush without the mouthwash and smell it after using it. You will find out soon enough where the infection is because of the bad smell off the brush. This causes the bad breath (I know people who attend a dentist regularly and probably think they have good dental hygiene, who suffer from gingivitis/periodontitis but whose dentist has obviously never told them about it. Their breath is revolting but they are not aware of that; don't forget there are good and bad dentists just like as in every job.)
The condition doesn't clear up in most people. My dentist tells me that it is a life-long condition and that some people get it, others don't. The people who do, need to attend to it every day. Some people need to repeat the morning interdental routine later on during the day. I find the infection is worst around crowns, if you have those. I hope this helps, as bad breath is a real turn-off in intimate relationships.

Anonymous  ·  20 Jun 2003
ive had bad breath and taste for the past five years.ive had all the tests done.my doctors seem to think its coming from my liver.is this a possibility,thanks.

Anonymous  ·  22 Jan 2003
Constantly have bad breath but excellant dental hygiene. Could this be related to lower back pain and emotional stress that I have been experiencing?

Anonymous  ·  21 Oct 2002
I have excellent dental hygiene, and still I have bad breath...sometimes friends ask have I just broken wind! All advice seems to be related to oral hygiene has anybody some tips on my cause (stomach origin)

1 Posts

paul (pablomc)  ·  17 Aug 2002
I Have a terrible problem with
bad breath. I clean my teeth and
tongue three times a day and also use corodysil mouthwash twice daily, I still cant get rid of it. Please help.

Anonymous  ·  16 Mar 2002
I understand there are some causes of bad breath which require professional advice/intervention. However, I know of one common cause of which very few people seem to be aware. It manifests itself after drinking tea. I have noted it in friends and work associates especially early in the morning. It is really a revolting stench. Brushing teeth after meals, especially after breakfast, plus use of an antiseptic mouthwash banishes this repulsive problem. If you are on the move a mouth rinse with plain water helps. I've heard people talk of coffee breath. It is, it seems,similar to tea breath. Hope these observations help.

Anonymous  ·  02 Dec 2001
Most problems with bad breath are related to oral hygiene. Brushing AND flossing regularly are required and also gently brush your tongue as it can hold a lot of bacteria.

Anonymous  ·  24 Nov 2001
Is it true that if you eat fresh parsley, you will have fresh breath? How much do you have to eat, if it is true?

6 Posts

Marc (MarcRaynor)  ·  27 Jul 2001
Eat less red meat and dairy products, I find it gives me Halitosis. Either that or find friends who smoke cigarettes, because they have a diminished sense of smell.

Anonymous  ·  20 Jun 2001
Hello, Have you managed to cure bad breath. If you did can you please help me

Anonymous  ·  20 Mar 2000
there is a product available in Boots called Retardex, toothpaste and mouthwash, which is supposed to kill the bacteria that causes bad breath. It has got excellent write-ups.
Sometimes bad breath seems to come from either stomach, teeth or sinuses, so it can be difficult to pinpoint cause.

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation