157,841 registered users

| |
(Monday, 1st Sep, 2014)

Mirena Coil

972 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

Anonymous  ·  23 Jan 2008
Gerry, I had the reverse. Had my first coil fitted seven years ago, it worked great but I had a 6 week heavy period at the beginning, then light spotting.
two years ago I had the coil replaced since then I only have a spot (literally) or two every months.
The 6 week period never bothered me or affected me (tho it worried the heck out of my partner) but it wasa nuisancwe.
What did they say abut it during your check-up?
I'm 34, no children.

Hi.Had my first coil fitted six years ago, it worked great had very light bleeding every so often although i had spotting continuous for six months.
Last year I had the coil replaced since then i had spotting for three to six weeks, then i get a break of
a couple of weeks and then back. It has not effected my energy just a nuisance. I am 46 has anybody else got this problem.

A period lasting two weeks, or persisent heavy periods really sounds like it needs much more investigation than simply putting in the coil.
What tests or examinations has your gyn recommended? Neither I nor anyone else I know has been told by theit gyn not to use tampons with the mirena - except for that first period when its inserted. I would still use them only my period doesn't last that long. There arw a whole range of other therapies, depending on your tests and diagnosis, for heavy periods before considering something as drastic as a hysterectomy, which is major surgery. Please do investigate these first.

1 Posts

polly  ·  22 Jan 2008
I am 32 and had the coil fitted one year ago to stop my heavy periods, the pill just wasn't working. Since then, I have a period every 4 weeks which lasts for 2 weeks. While its not as heavy as it used to be it still continues for 2 weeks leaving me feeling like crap! We've booked our summer holiday and now I'm terrified that I'm going to get my period at some point in the holiday and because the doctor told me not to use a tampon with the coil, I won't even be able to sunbathe or go for a swim. I have 2 kids, the youngest is 6 and I don't intend to have any more. I'm strongly considering making an appointment with my GP to ask him to refer me for a hysterectomy, I don't think there are any more options out there. And I think I'm at the stage where I'm just not prepared to waste any more time trying out something that might work, when I could just go for an alternative that would definitely work! I have bad skin and regular cramps and I'm just sick of feeling like this. Is there anyone else out there who has experienced similar problems with the coil, and if so, what solution worked for you?

Anonymous  ·  21 Jan 2008
My friend was the same, she had it put in three years ago and has only had two periods since.
I still have my 'friend' once a month but only for a couple of hours.
It makes life less messy but I do miss that energy rush I used to get coming up to it and during it., But I suppose no more pills is a very positive trade-off.

1 Posts

andrea (YBD66943)  ·  18 Jan 2008
I had the coil fitted 5 years ago. I am not due to have it replaced as it wasn't put in for contraceptive purposes but because i had on-going bleeding since my sterlisation 9 years ago. From the month after i had it in, i've not had any bleeding at all. yes i have put on weight around my middle, but a lack of good dieting and no exercise would do the same which i am guilty of.

Anonymous  ·  17 Jan 2008
No - not endometrial ablation by laser but ultrasound procedure using ExAblate device This specifically targets fibroids. Please see link below http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExAblate.
Sounds really promising.

Anonymous - do you mean endometrial ablation by laser?

Has anyone heard if MR guided Focused Ultrasound Surgery (MRgFUS) using the ExAblateŽ system is performed in Ireland. This non invasive treatment is used for fibroids or myoma hence, heavy periods etc.. I was offered hysterectomy but that would be my last resort. I had Mirena fitted to stop heavy bleeding and pain but doesn't look promising. Thanks

Anonymous  ·  04 Jan 2008
Hi martha, i suppose I was lucky, on he coil I lost the weight I gained with the pill. It's logical tho if your weight increases then your bra size will too. Altho a healthier diet and exercise helped me greatly too.
But I can concur on the acne front. I get little dark pimples athte corner of my mouth and chin but for me its a small proce to pay for not having to take the pill - altho I know I'll have to go back on it eventually.
Removal is a breeze actually, not painful at all. Tho' obviously you'll need to use alternate protection afterwards.

53 Posts

Martha-Stewart  ·  03 Jan 2008
Hi Everyone. I had my mirena fitted 2 years ago. I have gained weight, my boobs have increased by 2 cup sizes and I have recently started to get some acne!!! I am seriously considering having it removed. I have felt since I got it fitted, I have become slightly 'down' in myself. I have tried to lose the weight I gained and its not working, even with eating pretty healthy, exercise and weightwatchers!! I am wondering is the removal painful???!!!

Anonymous  ·  03 Jan 2008
Thanks Lisa.

4 Posts

Lisa  ·  02 Jan 2008
The medication I was prescribed was Misoprostol, I was given 3 pills and had to take them 3 hours prior to insertion. I think this really did help! Its been almost 2 weeks now and I've felt great. I have not had any cramps or spotting.

Anonymous  ·  02 Jan 2008
Lisa, can you tell me what meds you were prescribed to thin your uterus as I'd be very interested to see if they could help me next time around.

4 Posts

Lisa  ·  21 Dec 2007
Hi, I just had my mirena coil fitted two days ago and I have to tell you so far so good. The fitting was a little painful but my gyno prescribed a medication to help thin my uterius which I greatly believe help. It was not near as painful as I worried it would be. I did have some cramping and bleeding afterward but nothing too bad. The next morning I felt great no cramping or bleeding. I have friends waiting to see how everything goes to see if they will have one fitted and I have to tell you so far I'm completely for it.

Anonymous  ·  30 Nov 2007
Hi 29/11/2007 22:16, after I had my first mirena inserted, had a period for 6 weeks but I had been on the pill for 10 years before that.
But still, you should not be bleeding for 4 ,months. That is definitely indicative of a problem.
I would go back to the doc and ensure that all the investigations and any procedures they did in relation to your heavy periods before you decided on the mirena were carried out correctly and do not need to be repeated.

Anonymous  ·  29 Nov 2007
I had mirena coil inserted in July this year.Since then bleeding almost every day except for about 1 week break. Contracting feeling when bleeding and feeling crap. Has anyone experienced same and will it improve. I really want it to work as periods were very heavy with clots before this.
Please any advice would help!

A word of advice to supporter - next time around, do not put up with the agony. Take your poston F, every three to four hours. DO NOT wait for the onset of pain.
No one should be in so much pain that they cry themselves to sleep
I am pleased with mine but due to the side effects on insertion, would need a hospital visit for the second one so will probably go wiht the implant.
I get a very short period too, not as predictable as the pill (which I could time to the hour) but only lasting a morning.
It doesn;t suit everyone tho I suppose

Hi All,

I am shocked by all the negative comments on the coil. I have mine in with almost 5 years and am due to have it replaced in Feb 08. I have to say I had agony the day it was inserted and cried myself to sleep. But by the following day I was much better. After about a week I was perfect. It solved my heavy periods and has been the only contraceptive I have used that didn't end in a pregnancy. I wouldn't hesitate to put it back in. A little weight gain is a small price to pay for periods that pop in for about 10 mins once a month to remind me they exist. My best friend also had it inserted at my recommendation and she thinks it's great too.

Anonymous  ·  27 Nov 2007
30yrldmum - have you had your thyroid tested. I had the exact ame wieght gain and it wasn't mirena related. My thyroid was failing. Get tested would be my advice

1 Posts

30yrldmum  ·  27 Nov 2007
Hi there,

I had the Mirena fitted and over the period of approx 6 mths steadily gained weight, had terrible mood swings from incensed and volatile witch to sobbing wreck. I had it removed a couple of months ago but still feel very heavy and can't seem to shift the weight I gained-all around my midrif-never had this shape before...quite upset by it all really. Any ideas?

Anonymous  ·  26 Nov 2007
Nosa, I meant to mention I'm 4.
Jax, the mirena is suitable for use for 5 years. It can be removed sooner if you want to try for a baby or want to swithc contraceptives. After 5 years it will need to either be replaced with a new one or you will need to switch to another method of contraception.

6 Posts

sinead (LNI65018)  ·  25 Nov 2007
Hi Nosasmum
I hope your not to put off by all this negative information about the mirena coil. I had mine fitted after my 2nd child the fitting was a little painful and i had cramping for about 3 days afterwards.My period lasted about a month afterwards and then i got them every 3 weeks for the next year, light but there and lasted about a 7 days. I had it in for about 2 years but have had it removed at the end of september as we are trying for another baby. The only good thing i can say about it is that its great not having to take the pill everyday and it lasts for 5 years which i'm sure you know but i have to say after having it removed i would definitely try another method of contraception the next time, plus may i add that when i had the coil my sex drive was at an all time low and since having it removed its improved imensely. Thats just my opinion not much help i know but hope it gives you a little idea of the mirena coil by the way i'm 31!

Anonymous  ·  23 Nov 2007
Had my mirena fitted 3 years ago and it did take some time to settle down - but well worth it as i now have no periods at all. I do have yellowly watery discharge and this usually happens around time of pain in my sides which i think is my period! i'm willing to put up with this rather than 7 days of heavy bleeding and pain. however, i have experienced this more recently now - how do you know when the mirena is needing replaced - is it when your period starts coming back? i really don't want to end up with a late in life pregnancy due to not knowing if i am protected or not! thanks!

Anonymous  ·  23 Nov 2007
Hi Nosa,

Not sure what PE is , but I have no children nor had any pregnancies but still have the Mirena fitted. Yes, it was painful, the firstt ime just during the insertion itself and cramps afterwards., the second time my blood pressure dropped during the fitting and I almost fainted and the cramps lasted into the next day and I needed ponstan for longer (this will be prscribed with the coil and its important that you take it before the fitting and for the stomach pains afterwards) BUT, and I stress this, the drop in blood pressure ONLY happens to a very tiny percentage of women and was contributed to by the fact that during the fitting I actually got a contraction!
It is easier to fit the mirena for women who have had children but for those in long term relationships who don't have cjhildren it is not neccessarily contra-indicated. On the positive side you have no contracpetion worries, no remembering to take the pill and no risk of malabsorbtion should you have a stomach upset or need anti-biotics.
Just to note that in my case it was fitted correctly on both occasions.
As for the snip, aside form the risk of Post-Vasectomy-Syndrome, I would willingly have the coiuld fitted a second time rather then put my partner thru that as I know for many men the pain and after effects can last up to two weeks.
For me the simple solution if I wanted the mirena again, given what happened to me, would be to have it fitted in hoispital under general aneasthetic.

Or if you are sure your family is complete, you could consider having tubal ligation.
Other (neutral) effects - other than the initial bleed after the first onew as fited - like long long period given that I had come off the pill, are that uour period is super-short, I'm talking an hour and You can switch from tampons to pant-liners tho' of course it won't have the super-precise timing of the pill.
If can be fited by your gynae. I went to the IFPA clinic and the follow up was very good.
As I said it can also be fitted in hospital if you need to.
As for information, you could try the manufacturers website. It is factual altho some make see it as having a positive spin.

1 Posts

Nosasmum  ·  23 Nov 2007
Hai all, I just had my 2nd child and got PE. So the PHN, GP and Consultant that treated me are all telling me I should have the coil fitted (after my medication is finished) to prevent any more pregnancies as they would increase my chance of getting PE again - posibly dring pregnancy next time. However, after hearing the stories here I am pretty scared to be honest. I was told that the coil is generally only given to women who have had children as their cervix is more flexible. Are you all having problems because you didnt have children or because it was not fitted correctly?? I have tried to find information on the coil itself, where it is fitted and what side effects etc.. I am seriously considering sending my husband for the snip rather than face the pain it seems to cause and the lack of information and follow-up from GPs. Can anyone direct me to a site where there is just information on the coil?

Anonymous  ·  25 Oct 2007
No probs. I don't have Endo but was on the pill from 17 for 10 years. I was diagnosd with hypothyroidism about 8 years ago and just to note. Untreated hypothyroidism can afect your chances of getting pregnant also. Besides, having it treated has made an enormous difference to me.
Lost weight, improved libido, perkier outlook on life and loads of energy and my skin and hair aren't as dry.

4 Posts

Elise  ·  25 Oct 2007
Thanks Kate - good to know I'm not becoming a hypocondriac! Never thought about getting my thyroid checked but will do.

I'm 32 years old- have had endometriosis since I was 17.

Would love to have coil taken out as I've had in in for so long now I've forgotten what it feels like without it. Would love to take it out now but think I should wait off until we start trying for a baby as I'm nervous about the endo coming back and causing further damage once the coil is out. I had a fallopian tube and ovary removed already due to endo so odds are stacked against me as it is for getting pregnant.

Well Elsie, I thought it was just me.
Had my first one - insertion was pretty awful but from Day 2 on everything was fine. Spotting every month, no pain no bloatedness.

second Mirena. Insertion was absolutely horrible. Still felt awful next day and every month for 6 or 8 months, instead of spotting I'd have these awful stabblign sensations in my cervix!
They went away for about a year and a half but so did my , by now very small, period. Which I wasn't delighted about.
About two years into the second one, my spotting returned but over a longer time period (no pun intended) and I've had no problem since.
By the way, I'm only 34.
With regard to your symptoms - HAVE YOUR THYROID CHECKED.
That is very important - hence my use of capitals. I am hypothryroid and there were my exact symptoms and that was long before the mirena.

Hi there,

I'm on my second mirena - have had it in now for 7 years. Now two years into my second one and am finding that I'm not reacting to it nearly as well this time.

First five years were great - it really dealt with the awful pain I suffered from due to endometriosis. But now on second one I feel depressed and tired a lot of the time, mood swings - literally enraged with anger some days, constant lower tummy and back pain, no sex drive and bloated face.

Just wondering if anyone has had good experiences with their first mirena and then reacted badly to second one? Don't understand why I'm having problems with second coil - would it be down to age maybe?

6 Posts

sinead (LNI65018)  ·  20 Oct 2007
Hi
I've just got my first period since getting the mirena coil removed. I'm still having very heavy bleeding even though i'm six days into it now and also i have had a lot of large blood clots as well (sorry for being disgusting), can anyone tell me is this normal and i'm also trying to get pregnant since getting it removed and have had no luck in the first month can anyone tell me if they have had a similar experience and give me some advice as to how long conception took them???

Anonymous  ·  04 Oct 2007
I was similar anonymous, period for two months after the first fitting which was painful, but no cramps afterwards.
Second fitting was extremely painful, no bleeding afterwards (which wouldn't have actually bothered me) but bad stomach pains the next day and then a stabbling sensation low down around the time of my period for about 6 months afterwards, which I know is not normal but is seems that my womb was contracting !
I just have spottign every month now.
It hasn't affected my energy, I still swim 30 - 40 lengths 5 morning per week. tho' to be honest I miss that energy rush I used to get during my period but it hasn't affected my sex drive. if anything it's better knowing that the risk of pregnancy is much lower and because my period is so much shorter there's less mess during that time of the month, if you know what I mean. Sorry probably too much info.
Another positive effect is that I've had to stock up on tampons so seldom!
For me, I will not be getting one again next time around, I will probably switch to the implant. I will give it another go but I'll have it done in hospital with better pain relief.

Anonymous  ·  03 Oct 2007
Hi
I had the mirena coil fitted at my local doctor's surgery. It was uncomfortable getting it fitted even though the doc said it would't hurt it did. I had cramps for about 3 days after a lot like period cramps and i had my period constantly for about 2 months after and about every 3 wks after that for about 6 months but i have to say it was very worth it. I have had it removed about a month now as we are trying for another baby but since having it removed i feel like i have so much more energy and i have got my sex drive back. I will have to consider long and hard as to whether i will get one again. As for your pain if it continues I would seriously consider going back to your GP.

Anonymous  ·  03 Oct 2007
Never had a D&C or laparoscopy but I did have a mirena fitted, at my local clinic. The fitting itself was painful (even more painful second time around so I will be requesting a hospital referral and aneasthetic next time) and it was in discomfort next day but I couldn't say whether they were cramps or not.
But I did have bleeding for 6 weeks afterwards - not painful but just like a 6 week period!
I had been on the pill for 10 years prior to that.

1 Posts

MB  ·  02 Oct 2007
Had Mirena Coil fitted two weeks ago post DNC and Lap&Dye....

Have had heavy bleeding and cramps for two weeks now.

Has anyone else suffered from this post coil fitting?

Would welcome any replies!

Anonymous  ·  27 Sep 2007
Hi 10.57 here. No, I didn't. I had my second inserted after first one was removed, so I can't help you there.
Sorry.

6 Posts

sinead (LNI65018)  ·  26 Sep 2007
Hi Anon
I had the mirena coil removed and youre right it was painless just a little like a smear test. I'm just wondering did you have yours removed for the purpose of getting pregnant again and if so did it take you long to conceive?

Anonymous  ·  26 Sep 2007
Hiya,

If anything it will be easier having it removed during your period. There shouldn't be any pain afterwards but what I found was that my first period afterwards lasted weeks! as my hormone cycle adjusted.

6 Posts

sinead (LNI65018)  ·  20 Sep 2007
Hi
I have the mirena coil in for the past 3 yrs. We have decided to have another baby so i'm having it removed in the morning. I cannot contact my GP and need to know is it ok to have it removed as i am in the middle of my period can anyone help me also will i have some pain after it is removed?

Anonymous  ·  10 Aug 2007
I recently got the Mirena inserted in Holles Street and I'm finding it great. I'm only 24 but since I was 12, I have had periods that lasted 21 days out of a 28 cycle. It wasn't just spotting that was I having, it was full blown period. I have been Tampax and Always' best customer for the past 12 years. After years of having D&C's done (the first I had done on my 16th birthday when I was old enough to sign a consent form). With 6 D&C's, 1 laparoscopy, ablation, cerivcal ectropian diagnosis and number of referrals to psych as they thought it was stress related...To be honest, out of the whole experience, to be doubted by the medical teams as to whether I was telling the truth even though you can't exactly fake blood! It's not as if I was complaining of a complaint that wasn't visible...I'm glad to finally have the Mirena.

I haven't had any children yet but to be honest, Mirena so far has been the best option. I have been on every pill, injection and patch. Everything would work for a few months and then stop working. The Mirena is my last hope.

Recently I was diagnosed with a bleeding disorder which should have been detected years back. If it had of been detected, I wouldn't have had the surgeries (which always resulted in massive bleeds) and wouldn't have spent my teenage years jealous of anyone wearing white trousers and skirts.

Now with the back up of St James's hospital and Holles street, I'm being taking seriously with the bleeding and my periods which has resulted in the Mirena being prescribed. Fingers crossed this works!!

« Prev Page Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation