Mirena Coil

989 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

Anonymous  ·  26 Feb 2008
hi i had mirena coil fitted 7 weeks ago and have had heavy bleeding ever since apart from 2 days where i had nothing,have had spills while i m out which is embarrassing as if i sit down i m worried that when i get up from the chair that there will be a leak left on the chair ,can anyone tell me if this is normal as i dont want to ring my gynae in case he says this bleed will last months as i ll have to get it out as pads i wear are also leaving my skin swollen and uncomfortable ,can anyone please advise,

5 Posts

Sheena  ·  26 Feb 2008
I had the Mirena in for five years. Insertion was no problem and after a few weeks of ongoing light bleeding or spotting I had almost no bleeding for the five years, which was great. Unfortunately it did give me chloasma (pregnancy mask, not a big deal) and make me feel down, irritable and at times despairing(a very big deal). It took me along time to realise and I think it came on very gradually. Shortly (a week or so) after removal (which was painless and easy DIY) I felt I could recognise myself again, which is well worth the return of the periods.

Anonymous  ·  26 Feb 2008
Abbey, there is no 'test' available to see if the mirena is suitable. I wish it were that simple.
Dee, My first period on the Mirena lasted over a month - tho I had been on the pill for years before that. It wasn't light but there was no cramping or pain. I'd say get that investigated if it persists.

Anonymous  ·  25 Feb 2008
I had the mirena coil inserted last month to help me cope with bad PMS, I find it brilliant for my moods and am alot more relaxed but I got my period over two weeks ago and although it is very light bleeding it seems to be going on forever. I thought my period was ending yesterday but I started cramping and bleeding again today. Before insertion my period only ever lasted for four days max. Has continuous bleeding been a problem for anybody else? Will it ever stop?

8 Posts

Abbey  ·  25 Feb 2008
Hi anon, sometimes I think they just say yes to everything in this country! Bet they didnt even test to see if you were suitable. Obvoisuly the symptoms you have are not normal I feel so sorry for you. I have never had it in but I can just imagine, your bound to be down after going through all that. Keep it out and get the infection sorted, things can only get better now.

Good Luck !

Abbey xx

Anonymous  ·  24 Feb 2008
I HAD THE MIRENA COIL FITTED IN OCTOBER TO TREAT ENDOMETRIOSIS AND HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT EVER SINCE.
LABOUR LIKE PAINS,INTERMITTANT BLEEDING AND STRANGE DISCHARGE, ALSO CONSTANTLY FEELING UNWELL AND SO BLOATED I LOOKED 4 MONTHS PREGNANT.
I HAD IT REMOVED LAST WEEK AS FINALLY ADVISED TO AND WAS TOLD BEFORE THEY EVEN TRIED TO REMOVE IT THAT I HAD AN INFECTION, PUT STRAIGHT ON ANTIBIOTICS AND IT WAS SENT AWAY WITH A SWAB TO BE TESTED.
3 DAYS AFTER I STARTED BLEEDING REALLY HEAVY AND WAS IN AGONY YESTERDAY WITH THE BLEEDING AND FEELING SO UNWELL,BUT NO BLEEDING TODAY JUST FEEL WORSE AND WITH A TERRIBLE HEADACHE. I DONT UNDERSTAND IT, I JUST WISH THAT IT WOULD ALL GO AWAY, AND IM SURE THAT BECAUSE PEOPLE CANT SEE YOUR SYMPTOMS THEY DOUBT THAT YOU HAVE ANY AT ALL! ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE HAD YEARS OF IT. I JUST WONDERED IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM?

4 Posts

Lisa  ·  20 Feb 2008
Hi Barbie i'm glad you had a pretty good experience. Mine went as well as yours did and I am now almost 2 months since it was inserted and it has been great. The 1st month i had some light spotting but nothing major and this month I have had nothing! I was on the pill for about 10yrs, except when I was pregnant with my son, and this has been much easier. The only side effect I've had is my face is breaking out but I can live with that. I really haven't had any mood swings and haven't gained any weight! So maybe you will be just as lucky!

134 Posts

barbie86  ·  20 Feb 2008
Hi,

I had the Mirena fitted on Thursday so it's early days yet, but so far so good.

I'm 21 and haven't had any children. I've been on the pill for nearly 6 years and decided to come off it because of the risk of cervical cancer, as I'm already at an increased risk due to some minor abnormalities. I decided the Mirena looked about best for me.

I was led to believe that because I haven't had children it would be an experience from hell; it really wasn't. The doctor kept warning me it would be very painful, and other people I'd spoken to said the same. The insertion itself was painful for about 2 seconds, and when they clamped my cervix open that also hurt for about 2 seconds. The doctor used lots of anaesthetic gel which obviously worked to great effect. I also had my partner with me which I think helped me relax, and I concentrated on breathing deeply.

I felt faint and a bit sick afterwards, but then I feel faint and sick at pretty much any mildly invasive procedure! Afterwards I was in quite a lot of pain for a few hours, I won't deny that: severe stomach cramps that had me laid up in bed, the worst pain I've ever felt to be honest. I've taken it fairly easy since (I work part-time and called in sick on the Saturday to be on the safe side). I've had very mild, occasional stomach cramps since, that are getting less each day: today I'm pain free.

I bled quite a bit until Saturday morning (though I was on my period too, so hard to tell what the blood was); I had mild spotting Saturday and Sunday, and nothing since.

It was not the bad experience I thought it would be. I know I've probably still got mood swings and weight gain to come, but I had that with the pill so it's no big deal to me.

One thing I would say about the Mirena is don't get it done if you're half-hearted about it, I think it's important to have a positive mind-set

Anonymous  ·  08 Feb 2008
Hi Gonky iI'm right with you. I had a similar experience but not as bad. This happened on my secoind mirena. The first was painful but I was fine the next day. I thought the second one would be similar however,
My cervix had to be dilated manually - again very uncomfortable and unpleasant. The pain for me started during the insertion. It felt like the mirena was scraping the inside of my uterus. Then I experineced three contractions ( yes actual contractions like when a women is in labour) agonising enough to make jolt me upright and scream - in addition to to ensuring that I'll NEVER want to have children (which means another 20 years of contraceptive care). ,My blood pressure also dropped rapidly and I almost passed out. I had to lie down for an hour and spend another half hour in recovery. The pain continued after insertion, into the next day even with pain meds. Luckily enough I recovered sufficiently not to have to be transferred to hospital and admitted or anything. I will go back on the pill next time and I knowI will probably need another mirena eventually, but I will have it done in hospital under full aneasthetic as a day patient.

4 Posts

gonky  ·  08 Feb 2008
Hi everyone, i had a dreadfull experience with the mirena coil. it was recommended by my gynacolagist because my periods were very heavy. I knew it could be uncomfortable getting it inserted but i never thought i would experience such pain. the first problem was the insertion. he tried a few times but failed so i had to be dilated. very unpleastant. finally got there. after about 15mins i started to have severe pain. docter was called back gave me pain relief but it didn't work. pain got so bad i tought i was going to die. blood pressure dropped rapidly and i passed out. i had to have it removed straight away. doc said it was the first time in 25 years practice that he had to remove one. was kept in hosp over night. hopefully i'm one of the unlucky ones. never again!!!!!

Anonymous  ·  04 Feb 2008
No Anonymous, this is simply an old wives tale. Afterall, older ladies don't have a monthly bleed and their wombs are perfectly healthy and beastfeeding mothers may not have a bleed for the entire duration of breastfeeding.
You don't have a bleed becuase the action of the mirena means that the lining does not build up the way it would with the pill so there is simply no need for the bleed - like with seasonale or the type of pill which is taken continuously and results in a period every couple of months or every year.
Some ladies have a small period with the mirena and some don't. It depends on the person and its perfectly normal.

3 Posts

maz  ·  02 Feb 2008
hi had my 1st coil fitted 17yrs ago, (found it impossible to remember to take the pill) to this day i have never had a problem with it in, inserting or removing it . all i got to do is remember to change it every few years when i go to the family planning center where i can also have a smear done. i dont have any spotting and my peroids are as regular as clockwork. i'm 40 with 2 teenage children

Anonymous  ·  01 Feb 2008
I have used Mirena for 7 years and have never had a period. I was recently told that to keep my womb healthy I should be having a bleed every month. Is this true. I'm a bit worried now as the period who told me seemed horrified that I hadn't had a period for 7 years. I'm 45 years old.

Anonymous  ·  29 Jan 2008
Hi supporter, good to know others are having sucess. My first mirena insertion was uncomfortable in the extreme to the point of painful so I thouh the second one would be easier.
Not so. Removal was a doddle but the second insetion was downright painful with cramps that lasted right into the next day - even with ponstan forte.
I mean it works perfectly and its great to have it but the insertion totally put me off. I know it can be done under full aneasthetic but all the same I think I'll go for the implantthe next time and leave off the mirena for a while.
It's odd but I'm not phobic about internals and smears don't bother me in the least. That said I'venever had a pregnancy (and to be honst the whole experience with the mirena has put me off it!).
But for those it suits so well, it's a great invention.

2 Posts

supporter  ·  29 Jan 2008
Hi All,

I just wanted to let you all know how i got on with my replacement which was fitted last Friday. I got a decent painkiller from my doc in advance but I don't really know did I need it. Both taking out the old and putting in the new were a doddle. I breezed back out the door and other than a light bleed I have no problems since. This is my second coil.

Anonymous  ·  26 Jan 2008
I have my Mirena two years now. I had some bleeding and cramps for the first couple of months, now very light. I have noticed that they have got longer up to two weeks, but as I am now 47, I think i would probably have equally long but much heavier one if I didn't have it. I am delighted with it and am sorry I didn't get it earlier. It was fitted by my GP.

Anonymous  ·  23 Jan 2008
I am on my second Mirena, first one was great. Bleeding stopped and after a few cramps initially it settled down well. But I am a bit peeved off. I went to doctor today and paid the usual €50 fee. Which was fine but he told me he could not fit it, which again was fine I would go the the wellwoman centre. When I phoned for an appointment they said I have to have a consultation to get my prescription, when I told them that I have it and this is my second fitting she said it does not matter I have to visit the consultant and pay him €50 too. It is great but expensive when you have to pay it out all at once. Seem unnecessary to me. Does anyone know where I can get this fitted on the N/S Dublin wtihout having to thought this whole consultation. It also means taking time of work twice. Lets face it we all know what the consultant is going to ask, Any problems answer no, well come back on such a date and I will fit it. I wonder why they think we all have money and nothing else to spend it on. Any ideas of where else I can get if fitted.

Gerry, I had the reverse. Had my first coil fitted seven years ago, it worked great but I had a 6 week heavy period at the beginning, then light spotting.
two years ago I had the coil replaced since then I only have a spot (literally) or two every months.
The 6 week period never bothered me or affected me (tho it worried the heck out of my partner) but it wasa nuisancwe.
What did they say abut it during your check-up?
I'm 34, no children.

Hi.Had my first coil fitted six years ago, it worked great had very light bleeding every so often although i had spotting continuous for six months.
Last year I had the coil replaced since then i had spotting for three to six weeks, then i get a break of
a couple of weeks and then back. It has not effected my energy just a nuisance. I am 46 has anybody else got this problem.

A period lasting two weeks, or persisent heavy periods really sounds like it needs much more investigation than simply putting in the coil.
What tests or examinations has your gyn recommended? Neither I nor anyone else I know has been told by theit gyn not to use tampons with the mirena - except for that first period when its inserted. I would still use them only my period doesn't last that long. There arw a whole range of other therapies, depending on your tests and diagnosis, for heavy periods before considering something as drastic as a hysterectomy, which is major surgery. Please do investigate these first.

1 Posts

polly  ·  22 Jan 2008
I am 32 and had the coil fitted one year ago to stop my heavy periods, the pill just wasn't working. Since then, I have a period every 4 weeks which lasts for 2 weeks. While its not as heavy as it used to be it still continues for 2 weeks leaving me feeling like crap! We've booked our summer holiday and now I'm terrified that I'm going to get my period at some point in the holiday and because the doctor told me not to use a tampon with the coil, I won't even be able to sunbathe or go for a swim. I have 2 kids, the youngest is 6 and I don't intend to have any more. I'm strongly considering making an appointment with my GP to ask him to refer me for a hysterectomy, I don't think there are any more options out there. And I think I'm at the stage where I'm just not prepared to waste any more time trying out something that might work, when I could just go for an alternative that would definitely work! I have bad skin and regular cramps and I'm just sick of feeling like this. Is there anyone else out there who has experienced similar problems with the coil, and if so, what solution worked for you?

Anonymous  ·  21 Jan 2008
My friend was the same, she had it put in three years ago and has only had two periods since.
I still have my 'friend' once a month but only for a couple of hours.
It makes life less messy but I do miss that energy rush I used to get coming up to it and during it., But I suppose no more pills is a very positive trade-off.

1 Posts

andrea (YBD66943)  ·  18 Jan 2008
I had the coil fitted 5 years ago. I am not due to have it replaced as it wasn't put in for contraceptive purposes but because i had on-going bleeding since my sterlisation 9 years ago. From the month after i had it in, i've not had any bleeding at all. yes i have put on weight around my middle, but a lack of good dieting and no exercise would do the same which i am guilty of.

Anonymous  ·  17 Jan 2008
No - not endometrial ablation by laser but ultrasound procedure using ExAblate device This specifically targets fibroids. Please see link below http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExAblate.
Sounds really promising.

Anonymous - do you mean endometrial ablation by laser?

Has anyone heard if MR guided Focused Ultrasound Surgery (MRgFUS) using the ExAblate® system is performed in Ireland. This non invasive treatment is used for fibroids or myoma hence, heavy periods etc.. I was offered hysterectomy but that would be my last resort. I had Mirena fitted to stop heavy bleeding and pain but doesn't look promising. Thanks

Anonymous  ·  04 Jan 2008
Hi martha, i suppose I was lucky, on he coil I lost the weight I gained with the pill. It's logical tho if your weight increases then your bra size will too. Altho a healthier diet and exercise helped me greatly too.
But I can concur on the acne front. I get little dark pimples athte corner of my mouth and chin but for me its a small proce to pay for not having to take the pill - altho I know I'll have to go back on it eventually.
Removal is a breeze actually, not painful at all. Tho' obviously you'll need to use alternate protection afterwards.

53 Posts

Martha-Stewart  ·  03 Jan 2008
Hi Everyone. I had my mirena fitted 2 years ago. I have gained weight, my boobs have increased by 2 cup sizes and I have recently started to get some acne!!! I am seriously considering having it removed. I have felt since I got it fitted, I have become slightly 'down' in myself. I have tried to lose the weight I gained and its not working, even with eating pretty healthy, exercise and weightwatchers!! I am wondering is the removal painful???!!!

Anonymous  ·  03 Jan 2008
Thanks Lisa.

4 Posts

Lisa  ·  02 Jan 2008
The medication I was prescribed was Misoprostol, I was given 3 pills and had to take them 3 hours prior to insertion. I think this really did help! Its been almost 2 weeks now and I've felt great. I have not had any cramps or spotting.

Anonymous  ·  02 Jan 2008
Lisa, can you tell me what meds you were prescribed to thin your uterus as I'd be very interested to see if they could help me next time around.

4 Posts

Lisa  ·  21 Dec 2007
Hi, I just had my mirena coil fitted two days ago and I have to tell you so far so good. The fitting was a little painful but my gyno prescribed a medication to help thin my uterius which I greatly believe help. It was not near as painful as I worried it would be. I did have some cramping and bleeding afterward but nothing too bad. The next morning I felt great no cramping or bleeding. I have friends waiting to see how everything goes to see if they will have one fitted and I have to tell you so far I'm completely for it.

Anonymous  ·  30 Nov 2007
Hi 29/11/2007 22:16, after I had my first mirena inserted, had a period for 6 weeks but I had been on the pill for 10 years before that.
But still, you should not be bleeding for 4 ,months. That is definitely indicative of a problem.
I would go back to the doc and ensure that all the investigations and any procedures they did in relation to your heavy periods before you decided on the mirena were carried out correctly and do not need to be repeated.

Anonymous  ·  29 Nov 2007
I had mirena coil inserted in July this year.Since then bleeding almost every day except for about 1 week break. Contracting feeling when bleeding and feeling crap. Has anyone experienced same and will it improve. I really want it to work as periods were very heavy with clots before this.
Please any advice would help!

A word of advice to supporter - next time around, do not put up with the agony. Take your poston F, every three to four hours. DO NOT wait for the onset of pain.
No one should be in so much pain that they cry themselves to sleep
I am pleased with mine but due to the side effects on insertion, would need a hospital visit for the second one so will probably go wiht the implant.
I get a very short period too, not as predictable as the pill (which I could time to the hour) but only lasting a morning.
It doesn;t suit everyone tho I suppose

Hi All,

I am shocked by all the negative comments on the coil. I have mine in with almost 5 years and am due to have it replaced in Feb 08. I have to say I had agony the day it was inserted and cried myself to sleep. But by the following day I was much better. After about a week I was perfect. It solved my heavy periods and has been the only contraceptive I have used that didn't end in a pregnancy. I wouldn't hesitate to put it back in. A little weight gain is a small price to pay for periods that pop in for about 10 mins once a month to remind me they exist. My best friend also had it inserted at my recommendation and she thinks it's great too.

Anonymous  ·  27 Nov 2007
30yrldmum - have you had your thyroid tested. I had the exact ame wieght gain and it wasn't mirena related. My thyroid was failing. Get tested would be my advice

1 Posts

30yrldmum  ·  27 Nov 2007
Hi there,

I had the Mirena fitted and over the period of approx 6 mths steadily gained weight, had terrible mood swings from incensed and volatile witch to sobbing wreck. I had it removed a couple of months ago but still feel very heavy and can't seem to shift the weight I gained-all around my midrif-never had this shape before...quite upset by it all really. Any ideas?

Anonymous  ·  26 Nov 2007
Nosa, I meant to mention I'm 4.
Jax, the mirena is suitable for use for 5 years. It can be removed sooner if you want to try for a baby or want to swithc contraceptives. After 5 years it will need to either be replaced with a new one or you will need to switch to another method of contraception.

6 Posts

sinead (LNI65018)  ·  25 Nov 2007
Hi Nosasmum
I hope your not to put off by all this negative information about the mirena coil. I had mine fitted after my 2nd child the fitting was a little painful and i had cramping for about 3 days afterwards.My period lasted about a month afterwards and then i got them every 3 weeks for the next year, light but there and lasted about a 7 days. I had it in for about 2 years but have had it removed at the end of september as we are trying for another baby. The only good thing i can say about it is that its great not having to take the pill everyday and it lasts for 5 years which i'm sure you know but i have to say after having it removed i would definitely try another method of contraception the next time, plus may i add that when i had the coil my sex drive was at an all time low and since having it removed its improved imensely. Thats just my opinion not much help i know but hope it gives you a little idea of the mirena coil by the way i'm 31!

Write a comment...