| |
(Thursday, 2nd Oct, 2014)

Mirena Coil

972 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

11 Posts

Alison M.  ·  25 Jun 2008
I was prescribed Cyklokapron for five days after having the coil inserted to stop the heavy bleeding and clotting. This has alleviated the symptoms but has not stopped it completely. Has anyone had similar experience? I had the coil fitted on 11th June (2 weeks ago).

12 Posts

debs  ·  25 Jun 2008
I had the coil fitted the start of April,3 weeks later i got a period lasting 10 days,it was very light,also got cramping just before bleeding.got another period 3 weeks after that and was bleeding for 13 days,again light with cramping before.I am due another period round the next few days but have no cramping but my breasts are very sore,anyone else experience this??

Anonymous  ·  25 Jun 2008
I had the coil fitted during my first period in ten years off the pill. The period promptly lasted for 6 weeks! Heavy at first then lighter - similar to yours.
I experienced back discomfort too but was in a job with a lot of standing and bending tho' so i put it down to that.

Anonymous  ·  24 Jun 2008
I had the coil fitted just 6 weeks ago. I got a period 3 weeks later and still have it. Is this normal? It was very heavy for first 10 days but now its very light. I am also experiencing lower back pain. Is this normal as I'm not seeing my gynae for another 2 weeks and am starting to worry. I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks

Anonymous  ·  22 Jun 2008
I had Mirena fitted 3 years ago, great success,and i'm only 30 this year. no heavy bleeding after been inserted, and no period since either. have noticed a bit of weight gain, but no PMT

Anonymous  ·  21 Jun 2008
To Alison
I had an MRI in Charter Medical re fibroids. If you have any kind of health insurance you will be covered for direct payment. If not it only cost 180 for abdominal MRI scan.

5 Posts

Lorrie  ·  20 Jun 2008
Just wondering if any of you have experienced weight gain and bloating since have the mirena coil fitted. I had it fitted 2 years ago and have put on an awful lot of weight since, it's not all from overeating.

11 Posts

Alison M.  ·  19 Jun 2008
To Anon.
Thanks for your reply. I have NO idea what size my fibroid is. Sadly to get information from either Gynae or GP is like asking for the third secret of Fatima! Very little information...in fact I asked about when my results would be available after the D&C and was told "dont call us...we will contact you if we need to". Of course I will be calling...its not like he just serviced my car!

I have decided that it is not a good time to be sick in this country. Apart from the waiting lists if it is a gynae problem it is pot luck with the treatment. I have little faith in the present system locally.
I would be delighted to hear if someone could recommend a good private clinic anywhere else in the country. I live in the S. East.

I hope that you seek a second opinion from another GP Lainey as you are clearly anxious about your health and a second opinion would allay your fears. The truth is that the coil doesnt work for everyone. There are plenty alternatives out there for you to try, so dont worry too much.

3 Posts

Madeleine (MadeleineS)  ·  19 Jun 2008
Hi all, I had the Mirena Coil fitted over two years ago, while it was a little uncomfortable it wasn't anywhere as bad as what I had thought, had short periods for a couple of months, and now none, it's absolutely fantastic, I would recommend it also. It's peace of mind and no more having to take the pill..

Anonymous  ·  18 Jun 2008
Lainey, don't worry abit about being too young. It's not relevant to age at all. In fact my gynea has fitted them fr girls as young as 14, overseas.
My periods stopped too and the spotting sounds defintely like a lite period. Do check to make sure it's still in place - tho you're probably doing this every month anyway. The pain however does sound like the symptom that somethign might be wrong. Your GP soundas appalling. I would say get yourself to a well woman or everywoman clinic and have it checked but don't do anything rash.

1 Posts

lainey  ·  18 Jun 2008
i had the mirena fitted october 2007 for painful periods and as a contraception. i am 17 years old and i worry i am too young to have it fitted. my periods stopped completely after i put it in but for the last two weeks i have had very bad abdominal cramps and spotting everyday which i think is my period. i am considering getting it out as i think there is something not right. i have been to my GP he was useless and said i had to be prepared for the side effects. help please anyone!!!

Anonymous  ·  16 Jun 2008
To Alison
I have Mirena for last 6 months for treatment of fibroids. Didn't work. Too big 8X8 cm. Going to have Uterine Fibroid Embolization. I'm 45. If your fibroids are not this big it should work.
Pain will go away - mine lasted over month.

11 Posts

Alison M.  ·  14 Jun 2008
Hi All, I had Mirena fitted on 11th June '08 (following a D&C ) to "shrink fibroids" which were causing heavy prolonged bleeding including clots, which were not painful but very distressing. I'm 46 and my Gyn, recommended this to give me "5 good years". I'm not crazy about having this inside me but hoping the benefits outweigh the worry. Has anyone else been offered the Mirena for treatment of Fibroids? Has it helped? My stomach has expanded in the past two days. is that normal?

Anonymous  ·  23 May 2008
Alas Barbie, I'm 35 no children an no desire ever have any but they won't refer me for sterilisation due to my child-free status.

1 Posts

BarbieNo1  ·  23 May 2008
Got the Mirena fitted 4months ago and just had it removed yesterday due to constant bleeding and stomach cramps. Doctor thought I has a STI and test results from swab came back clear. That was when I decided to have it removed. I had been on two courses of antibiotics for sti which was unnecessary because it was the coil that was causing the infections. Once coil was removed the doctor put me onto yasmin "the pill". I feel like I own my body again. Doctor also wrote a referral letter for maternity hospital so I can get sterilised. I'm 33 and have 2 children and thats enough. I'd a few glasses of wine before having the coil removed to relax and it worked a dream. My advice is get it removed if your having these symptoms as its not sexy going through this on a daily basis.

134 Posts

barbie86  ·  19 May 2008
Anon: I'd need to ask a doctor, but one possibility could be that, the Mirena releases hormones over a period of 5 years. After about 5-7 years it becomes ineffective; I'm guessing this is because the hormones run out? So, when you have a new one fitted, maybe the body is exposed to a higher level of hormones? Also, although it's only a matter of minutes between having the first taken out and the replacement put in, perhaps the body still reacts to the new one as a foreign object: hence, side effects like cramps etc.

I'm only guessing here, but a lot of women seem to have one or two coils without a problem, then experience problems with subsequent coils. Although, you'd need to look at how many women had them fitted straight after to get a good idea: a lot of women have breaks in between, to start a family for instance

7 Posts

gerry  ·  11 May 2008
Hi I had my first mirina coil for five years, no problem everything went fine until towards the end of the time when i thought it was losing its effectiness and i was getting periods again.
Since i got my second one fitted a year ago i have had nothing but cramps and irregular spotting between periods but i guess it is my age, 46.
But it did save me from the really heavy periods i used to have. Has anybody else experienced these problems?

Anonymous  ·  28 Apr 2008
Sorry Barbie, I misunderstood, thanks.
The difference between switching pills and getting a second mirena tho is that the first and second mirena are Exactly the same unlike different pills and if you get the second one immediately after the first (as in within minutes) then there is no adjusting for the body to do so why the side effects the second time I wonder.

134 Posts

barbie86  ·  28 Apr 2008
macker: unfortunately, having had one without side effects doesn't mean it will be plain sailing with the next as well. Similarly with switching pills for example; you might have been fine with one, then switch and get lots of side effects. I guess it's just how well your body adjusts each time.

134 Posts

barbie86  ·  28 Apr 2008
Anon:

When I said reluctant to remove it, I meant after, say 2 months. Most doctors in England like to give it at least 6 months before removing it, unless it's essential it's removed. I was expecting 6 months of nasty side effects so this didn't bother me; however I do know people who were in pain after 3 months and just not getting on with it, and met some resistance when they requested that it was removed.

Anonymous  ·  28 Apr 2008
Ditto Macker,

My first mirena was grand, awful insetion aside. The second one caused my blood pressure to drop on insertion and resulted in stabbing pains in the cervical region for the first year - I don't know if these are like period pain as I've never had period pain but then everything was grand for year, now on year three, my very much shorter period, has now disappeared, which I miss.
Apparently it's fairly common - better than having to take the pill every day I guess.

3 Posts

macker  ·  25 Apr 2008
Hi

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had problems with the 2nd mirena. I have had the 2nd one fitted 16 months and for the past month have had abdominal cramps similar to period pain all the time - Ive had it checked and all is in order, waiting on smear results but am freaking that this could continue long term. Wonder why after 6 years of trouble free mirean - why now?

Anonymous  ·  14 Apr 2008
Barbie, I would be very concerned if your doctor is reluctant to remove the mirena - as it is only effective for 5 years and after that should be removed

Anonymous  ·  14 Apr 2008
South East. It's true - it can be done by the gp if they are qualified in obs/gyn and you're comfortable with their experience level in that specific skill. I went to my womens clinic and the charge was 150 also - including the iud and the six week checkup.
Please do be aware tho' that male GP's, provided you are comfortable with it of course and they are qualified to do so - which many are, will also fit it for you. So there is no need to be referred to a female Consultant obs/gynae - unless you want to.

134 Posts

barbie86  ·  11 Apr 2008
Anon: I guess that's one of the benefits of living in England lol. As much as I occasionally criticise the NHS, it does have its advantages. All contraception is free over here, which is good. They do bang on about the cost of the Mirena though (some doctors are reluctant to remove it for instance); however on balance it probably costs the NHS less that prescribing the pill for 5 years, although the initial outlay is high

Anonymous  ·  10 Apr 2008
I have Mirena for 7 years now and it has been so easy. Fitting both times was very easy and done by my GP and even though they had appointment booked for 30 mins I was on my way home in 15. The charge last Sept was 150 and that included a six week checkup. I think the family planning clinics are more expensive. Some people I know have had to go to Consultant obs/gynae as there was no female GP locally and the fee was far higher.
Around here in the south east there are a good few female GP's who take referrals from local male GP's for the fitting.
My sister has a medical card and it is fully covered by the GMS for the prescription and fitting. And her male doctor referred her to a local female GP and her medical card covered that too.

Anonymous  ·  02 Apr 2008
Yes, that's true Barbie, it must be perscribed before it can be purchased at the pharmacy.
Free on the NHS??? Wow, I'm impresssed. It's not even available on public health here and if it was we'd probably be menopausal by the time we came up on the waiting list. It's not covered by Health insurance unless its fitted in hospital (as per referral) but it's a speciality and not every gynae is willing to do it but as a result it will more than likely cost more than a regular doctors apt.

134 Posts

barbie86  ·  02 Apr 2008
Anon: a Mirena coil must be fitted by a doctor, so cannot be purchased over the counter.

In England the coil is free of charge on the NHS; I believe the cost of the device is around 90, so privately you would be looking at 90 plus the cost of the doctors time.

Don't worry Dolly, whne they remove your mirena, they can fit another one straight away (during the same appointment if you wish) but bear in mind, it should be replaced / removed after 5 years not six.

Anonymous, under the DPS - Drug payment Scheme. No family or individual has to pay more than 90 per month for their medicines. This will include anything else that your else that your gynae / GP has perscribed for the procedure - your painkillers, muscle relaxants etc and anything else that was perscribed in that calendar month.

I suppose everyone is different. With my first mirena, the side effects only took about 4 days - aside from about a two month period! Which didn't bother me to be honest.
But with the second one, I had persistent abdominal and cervical pain for nine months!!
But with te pill I had zero side effects for the entire time - over nine years..... that said I went straight from one method to the next so maybe this had some effect.
It's worth bearing mind tho' that women on the pill may have a higher risk of cervical cancer (and lower risk of ovarian cancer) but are also more likely to have it detected as having the pill perscribed compels you to go for a smear every couple of years. Remember - a combination of regular smears and vaccination lowers the risk dramatically.
It was my own obs/gyn who told me that the best time to give your body a break from contraceptives (as they used to recommend to my mohers generation) is when you want to have a baby!

3 Posts

DOLLY  ·  02 Apr 2008
Hi.
I had the mirena fitted six years ago after years of torture with very heavy bleeding, it wasnt a bad experience , Ihad pain for a few days and sore breasts, didnt gain any weight, I have only bled two times since, It was the best thing that i ever did, i dread the thought of having to part with it later this year, I would advise anyone to a least give it a try, if it works it is wonderful.
Maryo s

Anonymous  ·  01 Apr 2008
Hi,
Just wondering how much does the mirena coil cost to buy in the pharmacy?

134 Posts

barbie86  ·  01 Apr 2008
Helen: side effects should go away within 3-6 months, so really you need to give it about 6 months, unless they are severe. Other hormonal methods are similar: for instance my first 4 months or so on the pill were hell, then my body got used to it and the side effects vanished.

If however you're still experiencing problems after 6 months, it is unlikely it will settle, and probably means it just doesn't suit you, and so it would be wise to have it removed.

Homer: the general side effects do not take ten years to go away. With the Mirena in particular, the hormone is delivered locally and so lasts in your body even less than with other methods. You can experience a period of adjustment when you come off any hormonal method of contraception: much like that experienced when you first go on it, as your body adjusts to the new state (some women who have had the Mirena removed refer to it as a 'post-Mirena crash). This however should only last a few months at most.

Certain things can take longer: for instance, women who have been on the combined pill for over 5 years have an increased risk of cervical cancer, and this will only diminish once they have been off the pill for five years.

1 Posts

Helen (JCM70111)  ·  01 Apr 2008
Hi,

I had a Mirena coil fitted about three months ago as part of my treatment for endometriosis, I also had an ovary removed. My question is to do with the side effects. Ever since having it fitted I've been extremely tired and my weight has gone up even though I have been exercising most days. I also get sharp pains in my lower back when I sit down.

Has anyone any experience of the coil and whether these side effects eventually go away? I am due to go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks and I am seriously considering asking him to take the Mirena coil out.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous  ·  31 Mar 2008
Silent, if you dpon't get it removed after 5 years, its efficacy is no longer garaunteed - I.E. You risk pregnancy and also ECTOPIC pregnancy which can be highly dangerous. Also, the risk of infection may increase. I also had a bad experience with insertion but removal is a doddle - less unpleasant than a smear. If you are concerned you could switch to an implant after removal if you don't want to go back on the pill. But if you really want to give the moraena another go, get a referral to hospital and have it done under aneasthetic.
A word of warning Homer, while your wife's illness is truamatic and stressful, she neds ot be aware that she still needs to protect herself from pregnancy - which could have grave risk, depending on the type of cancer she is battling.

11 Posts

silentcry  ·  30 Mar 2008
does anyone know what the consequences are if the coil isn't removed or replaced after 5yrs, mine is in nearly 7yrs and i'm terrified to go get it replaced. Getting it in was a horrible experience and afraid to go thru it again.

thanks

210 Posts

Homer  ·  28 Mar 2008
Hello
My wife is in 9 year's of remission of cancer. During the course of her remission she had the Mirena Coil Procedure done. After having it done her moods were all over the place this baffled her Gynae / Oncologist. In the end it had to be removed the side effect's were too much. Ireserarched at the time on her behalf & foun that she was not the only woman who had side effect's. She then went onto an Injection called Depo-provera . That was even worse so it had to be stopped today her mood's can be quite bad so bad she imagine's she is having a breakdown & she gets emotional. We have been informed the Mireana coil & then the Depo-provea will take 10 years for side effects to leave her body. My wife is of the impression that she maybe going throught the change. Yet my research on this I am running into brick wall's.
We have turned too alternative medicine Female Essences help only help. dont cure the moods
Sepia & or Agnus Castus Homeopathic remedies she is also taken seem to give my wife a break. She is bookrd in for a blood test but my research has found even a bloodtest does not give a full picture for closure on her ailment's
WARNING WE HAVE SEEN PROFFESSIONALS & THE ABOVE ARE ONLY SUITABLE FOR MY WIFE. I WOULD MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH AN ALTERNATIVE PRACTICIONER BEFORE EMBARKING ON MY WIFE'S PRESCRIPTION WHY NO 2 PEOPLE ARE ALIKE.
And a note for men .
MEN CAN & DO SUFFER CHANGE OF LIFE MOOD'S.
You may keep it a secret if you want to. But you wont be helping yourself my advice face it seek medical attention Alcohol I know Men who have turned to drink but it makes matter's worse.
Dont be afraid to open up about it talk to someone who UNDERSTAND'S.

Warm Christian Love & Good health.

4 Posts

Sonia (POP55353)  ·  28 Mar 2008
Thanks Lisa,Anonymous and Barbie86 for your replies to my query. I'm due to have it fitted in april so i'll go and give it a go. I also hate the idea of having to remember to take the pill every day. Thanks again Sonia.

134 Posts

barbie86  ·  26 Mar 2008
I'm due my six week check tomorrow. On the whole, so far so good. My period stopped the day after I had it fitted (14/02/2008); I spotted for a further 1 1/2 days and since then nothing: no spotting or period.

I've noticed a couple of spots on my face and shoulders which I think could be connected, but nothing major. I've also noticed some mood swings, but nothing as bad as those I had on the pill.

I was expecting to put on weight, as I did with the pill, but I've been surprised to find I've actually had less of an appetite, and have lost a couple of pounds. I'm now at what I call my 'healthy weight'.

The only downside is that for a week I've had stomach cramps, which have been crippling at times. I've seen the doctor and everything is OK; the cramps occurred when my period was due and continued through what would have been my period. The doctor thinks it's just part of the settling in, and also my body going through the motions of a period without actually having one. The stomach cramps have eased since Saturday, so if the worst comes to the worst, it might mean that for a few days each month I have to take it easy and take strong pain killers, which in balance I can cope with.

I'd suggest giving it a go for a few months, then if it isn't for you have it removed. Regarding the pill to expand your cervix, I don't know anyone who's had this. If anything fitting is much easier when you've had children; the cervix stretches much more easily. I haven't had children which apparently makes it more painful; they used anaesthetic gel and the fitting itself wasn't too bad at all, painful for a few seconds, though afterwards I was in agony for a few hours.

« Prev Page Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation