157,965 registered users

| |
(Thursday, 23rd Oct, 2014)

Mirena Coil

972 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

Anonymous  ·  29 Jul 2008
Hi Anne, when you self exam - I do it every month or so, you should feel the string of the mirena, a very short one, just outside the cervix. This generally is what the doc will use to remove it.
I'm sure the doc will be able to find it tho'. Sometimes it folds up behind the cervix and you can only feel a small bit of it. Sure, let us know how you get on.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  28 Jul 2008
Hi Cally,

What String! I could never feel a string, Ah! I am not going to worry about it, I will make the appointment and let the Doctor look for it and I will just stay up in my head and pretend all is well! I will let you know how I get on, for a laugh if nothing else.

Thanks Cally,

Anne

Anonymous  ·  28 Jul 2008
Hi Anne, as long as you can feel the string there should be no problem removing at the clinic. I had problems with the second insertion but no problems with removal at all. Like I say, quick, painless and hassle free.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  25 Jul 2008
Hi Cally,

Thank you for relieving my mind, you are correct now that I
remember they were checking for fibroids that is why I had
G.A.

It has worked for me so well I forgot I had it in until I had
an xray recently.

=Anne.

Anonymous  ·  25 Jul 2008
Hi Anne, that is the route I'm going to go down for a future mirena - general aneasthetic.
I suppose it depends on the reason. My friend had it inserted under GA, simply becuase it was the best method to cpe with the pain and discomfort.
If this was your reasoning or you had it inserted while you were having another procedure - such as a D&C then I can see no reason why it can't be removed at a regualr clinic or doctors surgery. I had mine inserted and removed at the Everywoman / IFPA. It was quick, painless and nothing to be nervous about at all.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  24 Jul 2008
Hi I came upon this forum by accident and I am wondering can
anybody help me.

I have had two mirena coils in over the years and it has worked
for me 100%. I was "put out" to have it inserted on both occasions so, could anybody tell me if I can have it removed
without anaesthetic and where should I go, I was thinking of
Well Women Clinic, I live in Dublin.

I would say to anybody go for it, it works.

15 Posts

carriemags  ·  23 Jul 2008
Have been off the pill for 5 years and was still suffering so that is why I tried the pill again. Would definitely try other methods but don't know enough about them.

15 Posts

carriemags  ·  23 Jul 2008
Have been off the pill for 5 years and was still suffering so that is why I tried the pill again. Would definitely try other methods but don't know enough about them.

6 Posts

loo  ·  22 Jul 2008
Hi all , Its been very informative to read all the forums on peoples thoughts on weight gain whilst on the mirena coil. I have had mine in since april 2003. The first three months were hell with cramps etc but that did settle. Since then i now dont get periods, the odd spotting every through months but thats it. My biggest worry is that the weight gain over the past 3-4 months is horrid. 1.5 stone, not good. My boobs were pretty big but now i could give jordan a run for her money, they are enormous. I have days where i feel enormous heavy and so bloated. I do a lot of sport and eat a well balanced diet. So as of tomorrow the mirena gets removed, so watch this space. I suspect a massive weight loss about to happen. I'm a nurse and think logically but i can hand on my heart say that all my problems are the mirena.

Anonymous  ·  22 Jul 2008
Hi Anonymous - sorry to piggyback - I'd love to hear more about non-invasive hormone-free contraceptives. I'd probably go for an implant next time as I wouldn't risk condoms and the whole diapgragm / cap thing is far to messy and kills the spontaneaity. But if there was another option I'd be willing to try it as we've discussed vasectomy and it's not an option just yet.

Anonymous  ·  21 Jul 2008
Carriemags,
Would you consider giving the pill a complete break for a while and get your body free from synthetic hormones for a while. I have endo as well and had problems with excessive bleeding. I stopped using the pill (after using many different kinds) and my cycle is now virtually "normal" again. We are lucky in the fact that we are happy with our children and do not want any more so my husband had a vasectomy done. Maybe this isnt an option for you, but there are other forms of contraception that are not evasive and dont involve putting hormones into your body. Hope you get it sorted out soon, but it may be worth trying to give your body a break and see if hormones are causing your bleeding. Good Luck.

18 Posts

Shelly  ·  14 Jul 2008
Hi Cally, I had the Mirena removed because I was having a lot of spotting for 3 weeks of every month, a lot of lower abdomonal pain and very sore boobs. I think I will try the pill, will have to speak with my gp but he keeps insisting that I have the mirena fitted again. I just couldn't put up with all that again.

Anonymous  ·  14 Jul 2008
Hi Shelly, you don't mention your reason for not wanting another mirena, but for reliablity, the pill or the implant is probably your best bet.
I'll probably go the implant next time round myself.

Anonymous  ·  14 Jul 2008
Carrie, if you are still bleeding very heavily since a birth over a year ago, have problems finding a suitable pill and have Endometriosis, it sounds like you already have a lot of dispruption in your life - a good deal more than most people have with the mirena. For me there was no problem carrying my normal day to day activities while the Mirena settles down, following the day it was inserted, with my first one, I just treat the six weeks after it as tho' it were an extra long period. I work 5 full days a week and exercise regularly but the mirena didn't interfere with this.

18 Posts

Shelly  ·  14 Jul 2008
Hi good morning to you. I've had the mirena coil removed last week. now dont want to have another one replaced. I'm epileptic. can anyone suggest an alternavtive contraception, I'm at a loss here.

2 Posts

ally  ·  14 Jul 2008
I found the merina coil worked brillliantly to stop anaemia. Had tried iron tablets and injections. Nothing else worked

15 Posts

carriemags  ·  12 Jul 2008
Hi, Have had 2 c-sections and am bleeding very heavily since the birth of my second over a year ago. I'm having problems to find a pill to suit me (had manic moods swings on some, hot flushes on others). I'm going for a laporascopy in Nov/Dec as I'm a sufferer with Endometriosis and my Gynae wants to fit the Mirena then. I am really worried about the whole settling down period with it. From reading the posts here it seems that they could go on for 3 - 6 months or longer. I can't afford to have this kind of dispruption in my life. I'm only just back at work after my maternity leave and have been put on my current pill 3 months back to back so that I can function for at least some of the time. How do ye manage to carry on your normal day to day activities while the Mirena settles down. I have two kids under 3 and work 4 full days. Am I mad to consider it? Any advice would be great - thanks.

5 Posts

Amy  ·  11 Jul 2008
Hi Cally!!

Thanks ever so much for replying - When I looked properly, you're right it isn't greyish (I think I panicked!!) but brownish old looking blood - so hopefully I am on my way to stopping bleeding totally too!!

thanks for your info - I feel alot better now!!

Anonymous  ·  11 Jul 2008
Hi Amy, I went from having normal (well, very heavy) poriods where the blood was a reddish colour before the pill to the same but much lighter on the pill, then a long long period - which was the same which I first got the coil. They then to changed to very light spotting but the blood was a brownish colour but have now stopped completely - which I know is normnal for a lot of women on the mirena. Never had any with a greyish colour tho'

5 Posts

Amy  ·  10 Jul 2008
Hi - sorry to bother you all but I'm struggling to find an answer to my concern.

I had my coil fitted in december and after a long spell of bleeding intitially, it seems to have calmed down and I probably get 2 or 3 days of spotting each month at around the time my period is due.

My only worry is that for the last 2 months the colour of the blood has gone to a dirty brown/greyish colour (like old blood but without any 'new' blood at all)

As the days I 'spot' are getting less and less - could this just be a way of my periods coming to a complete stop or should I be worried??

thanks for any help!!

5 Posts

jeni  ·  09 Jul 2008
Hi Alison, Thank u so much for all the advice. U have put my mind at ease. Getting the mirena in might help fingers crossed with the fibroid problem. Best of luck to you. Thank you again.

Anonymous  ·  09 Jul 2008
Oggi, I had a second one fitted, about three years ago. To be honest it was a worse exprience than my first, but I am only one individual. I will be going on it again - can't stay on the pill forever! But next time around I will be doing what a friend of mine did and you could as well - booing into hospital and having it done under aneasthetic.
I don't understand that you mean about life brimming over without the periods. were they very heavy and painful with the fibroids? On my first mirena, I used to get a very small period every month (after the inital period following fitting which lasted the entire month!) and the first year on the second mirena was the same but now they have gone completely :-(. Normal I know and many women have gone on seasonale or a seasonique for precisely this affect as they suffered with dysmenorhea, but I kind of miss mine.

1 Posts

Oggi  ·  08 Jul 2008
Hi, I had the mirena for fibroids and heavy periods over four years ago, fibroids haven't gone, but life is just brimming over without the periods! Can go on holiday without mega forward planning now. This is my first coil (am 54 now) has anyone out there had a second one fitted? If so what was the experience, my consultant had a fight on his hands fitting it so am a bit anxious thinking about when it needs to be replaced.

11 Posts

Alison M.  ·  08 Jul 2008
Jeni, Mirena is an IUS which releases a synthetic hormone Levonorgestrel into the womb. This hormone thins the lining of the womb and ultimately shrinks Fibroids. Dont worry about having the procedure and the Mirena fitted. Bear with it for 3 - 6 months. You should be feeling a huge improvement within that timeframe. I have the Mirena since 11th June. It is early days for me with similar complaint to you...so I am hopeful that it will settle down. It is preferrable to Hysterectomy, which may be the alternative if Mirena doesnt work. From all the feedback I have had from women of all ages with the Mirena (I am 46) it is fantastic. I am hoping to be able to confirm this myself in another 3 months! It is tried and tested by thousands of women....and that is enough for me to have faith. Best of luck at the end of July.... just think as the Fibroid shrinks so will your tummy.

Anonymous  ·  07 Jul 2008
Tresa if it is bloating - as in a bloated stomach, rather than weiught gain then I think you need to investigate the cuase of this independantly of the mirena. keep a diary of when it happens inthe day, what food you've eaten and things you've drunk, what you're doig and how you feel.
Then, with that, get your GP to investigate the cause - it could be realted to anythig from a digestive intolerance to IBS to anything in between.

Anonymous  ·  06 Jul 2008
hi iv had the mirena coil for 3yrs. this is my 2nd 1. iv never had problems apart from some bloating around the time of my period. i dont think the coil has anything to do with weight gain as iv lost 4&1/2 stone in the past 2yrs. also i find taking dandolion root tablets helps with the bloating

Anonymous  ·  04 Jul 2008
Wonder if anyone has experienced this. I have been told that I have a rather large fibroid that has a large stalk. Will be getting a hysteroscopy the end of July 2008 and they want to put in the mirena coil as well. The reason behind putting the coil in is to help with the horomone level and hopefully stop them growing back. My query is that i have gained a lot of weight only around the stomach. Is this normal. I have a concern about the mirena going in. Does it help with Fibroids. Would really appredciate any information on this as the docs have confused me and I am hoping someone has gone through this too.

Anonymous  ·  02 Jul 2008
Hia....
Im not proin to weight gain........ i have never been heavier than 10 stone.... less being pregnant of course....
It is just like a bloated stomack constantly..... some times worse than others......
Tried them yogarts?? 4get there name ...plus i dont eat that unhealthy ...... treats every now and again??
And its only since mirena that i have this problem..
And supose i have worse problems than a bloated stomack at min if you read down at my last messages :( soooo not fair at min.... (sorry feeling sorry 4 my self ha)

The mirena has many advantages but unlike the pill which lightened my period but didn't make it go away - the mirena controlled it so well it made it disappear entirely!! I know this happens with a percentage of women but I really wasn't expecting it

Hi
I had the mirena in for 2 yrs and got it removed as i gained weight and looked like i was pregnant same thing as you on my stomach only! I've had it removed almost a year now and am still trying to lose the weight i put on while i had the mirena coil. For the first six months i had it i could have my period every 2-3 wks. I'm back on the pill now a bit annoying trying to remember to take it but great having a little control over my period for holidays, weddings etc.

Mum and Trasa, when you mention your stomach being swollen, is this down to weightgain - and generally when we gain weight, as in fat, we gain it all over, rahter than just in one place unless we're genetically predisposed to it.
Or do you mean a bloated stomach - as it it become bloated after gettgin up or after eating or before exercise etc?

(MUM)..... I have the same thing with the swollin stomack all of the time....... No matter what i do it doesnt go away...... in saying that im not a big girl and been a size 12 with this big stomack doesnt do anything for me at all.......... talk about people thinkin ur pregnant all of the time??
I know a girl that has the same problems as you and would have never put it down to the coil.... I must say it to her!!!!

Anonymous  ·  01 Jul 2008
hi can anyone please tell me if they have really struggled to lose weight once they had mirena coil inserted. i m really trying to lose weight and am finding it totally impossible to lose it off my stomach, i notice people look at me and i know they wondering if i am pregnant again as my stomach is permanently swollen, i m really down over this and any advise or help is really appreciated,thanks.

1 Posts

shelly  ·  30 Jun 2008
Hi there,
Thinking of getting the Mirena coil out and the copper iud in. On second Mirena and have put up over a stone in weight, having to wax upper lip, but most of all is my boobs kill me for two weeks every month. Got so bad if i turned in my sleep it would wake me. GP put me on anti-inflammatrys and has advised to change over to the copper coil as there are no hormones. Had awful acne on first Mirena and never put it down to the coil except for seeing this thread. Any one have the copper coil and how are you finding it?

Anonymous  ·  30 Jun 2008
the coil could be slipping or being expelled. The latter is normally accompanied by cramps.
If it's the former, it can happen if you have prolapse or the womb has changed in some way due to pregnancy, childbirth or surgery or a condition such as a fibroid.

Anonymous  ·  27 Jun 2008
Hia

Thank you for replying

The lump is hard....... I have an appointment in 2 wks to get it checked but not with my GP..... Feel embarrassed or something ....... strange feelings..

Oh i understand now about the lining of womb so thats i just thought it strange .....

Anonymous  ·  26 Jun 2008
It stops the lining of your womb getting thicker but still allows for some lining to build up in many women hence light periods for some and none for others.

Trasa, was the lump hard and plastic-feeling or as it fleshy.
If it is the former, the coil could be slipping or being expelled. The latter is nornally accompanied by cramps .
The former can happen if you have prolapse or the womb has changed in some way due to pregnancy or childbirth (rupture for example) or a fibroid

I have had my mirena coil in 3 yrs now..... at first got heavy bleeding .......then it eased down to every 2mths...... i stil get periods....well thats what its like anyway....

So my question would be?

If the mirena coil is inserted to prevent pregnance in the means to stop producing eggs from tubes...... in addition stopped the lining of your womb getting thicker............ hence stopped periods..
Then why still bleed and get what seems to be periods????

Can someone explain that one??
Or anyone else think the same??

I have the mirena coil as a contraceptive (excuse the spelling). Im single, but recently met someone. While having intercourse he could tell me i had the coil? As he said he could feel it? Embarrassed by this i went and checked myself by searching for the string as i was shown.
At first i could not find the string but instead a lump and then finally a string around the lump? As well as that unfortunately for me, i also found a flesh like little string thing just inside?
I have made an appointment for the family planning clinic, but it's not for two weeks yet?
My mind is on overtime because i dont no what this is? Especially the lump just up at were my coil string is?
Can you give me any sort of clue please.......

« Prev Page Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation