Mirena Coil

993 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

Anonymous  ·  26 Aug 2008
Oh no Leah, this would ring warning bells in my head 'you should be ok for a few months' is not an acceptable response when it comes to pregnancy risk - especially with suspected CIN1.
It won't do any harm to leave it in and I can see her point about not replacing it in the meantime if it needs to be removed during a colposcopy but you need protection in the meantime as regards pregnancy. I would go back to her and INSIST on this - ask if she would be willing to take legal responsibility if you get pregnant. A short term contraceptive might be best until you're sure of where you stands as regards the mirena - such as the pill or nuvaring.

1 Posts

leah  ·  25 Aug 2008
I'm new on this and to be honest the reason i came on was to find out something. i have had the mirena coil in for the last 5 years, it is up next week. i have been to my doctor about changing it but due to abnormal results in my smear (cin 1) my doctor has told me she will not change it yet as it is pointless in case they need to remove it when doing a coloscopy.
I have expressed my concerns as i do not want to get pregnant but she still wont change it and said that i should be ok for another few months?????

can anyone tell me how long i have with this please?

Anonymous  ·  25 Aug 2008
That they didn't wait for a period might be understandable considering you'd already had a period and I would very seriously question not been given a pessisary the night before as this is STANDARD all over the UK (might the lack of use of misprostal be down to the old fashioned ideas of some of our docs I wonder?) but not to give you painkillers at a minimum - this is absolutely barbairc. The procedure is painful enough I found, but without painkillers - what did they think they were doing? What you should have been given - the STANDARD perscription for thus is a perscribed painkiller such as ponstan forte. There is no way you should have been forced to rely on inadequate over the counter painkillers. the raditing pain does sound like a symptom but whether you feel this merits removal is YOUR decison and frankly I would never go back to that clinic again (except perhaps to deliver a solicitirs letter indicting them for pain and trauma) but switch clinics - without even involving your GP, and tell them that you will not allow the previous experience to be repeated on you but you do need the mirena removed if that is your choice.

11 Posts

Shelly  ·  23 Aug 2008
I had the mirena coil fitted a year ago now straight after having the implanon removed as I was constantly bleeding for weeks on end. After all this time asking my doctor for a referral letter for a gynecologist he suggested I have the implanon removed first and the coil fitted. I went a clinic and they removed the implanon and fitted the coil straight after, no waiting for a week before a period or even the use of a pessisary the night before or even painkillers before. It was a totally painful experience that I would never recommend to even my worse enemy. For hours after i suffered and not even Nurofen and parcetemol together would work for the pain. Now 1yr later I still suffer the pain in my right side radiating to my lower back and my thigh. It is very bad pain that doesn't respond to pain killers. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said he didn't think I needed the coil removed. I didn't even go back to the clinic for the 6 week checkup as i felt I was tortured there.

Anonymous  ·  05 Aug 2008
Loo, you poor thing, None of the women I know had side effects such as pain for three months and frankly I wouldn't put up with it myself and nor would my gynae.
Mary, I had the heavy breasts initially as well. Not painful but heavy and I found that wearing a bra in bed, breast massage while in the bath and switching from cardio to swimming helped.

6 Posts

loo  ·  05 Aug 2008
Cally ,
I suffered with cramps and generally feeling rubbish for 12 weeks until it all settled . I think you are looking at a few weeks for cramping . Passing blood clots though always needs to be monitored by your physician though .x

1 Posts

mary  ·  05 Aug 2008
hi i have the mirena since febuary this year. although it was very painful to get inserted, it has now settled down and my periods have stopped. my problem is my breasts, they have become very sore and uncomfortable. I was awake all night with them. i am by no means big chested, the opposite and its not every month. does anybody else suffer like this?

Anonymous  ·  01 Aug 2008
I would agree with you Loo except that my gynae and both cons specified that altho' it was normal to have spotting for several weeks, the cramps should subsist after a day or less in most cases or two days at most in a few cases. However to take my ponstan forte (or other prescribed pain killer) every 4 hours and DO NOT wait for the onset of pain. If it continues st two days then that is cause for concern and to go back to the clinic. They were most particular about the last two instructions

6 Posts

loo  ·  01 Aug 2008
Hi all ,
As a nurse i must say passing large blood clots post insertion of the mirena is not normal ! It was probably caused from the way it was inserted or there is something gynae going on . Its normal to have spotting and cramps for many weeks after, but this does settle . Anne It does help with periods . Most periods become very light or stop . I hope this helps . Also its important to go to a good clinic to have it done !!

Anonymous  ·  01 Aug 2008
eve, I had a period lasting weeks after my insertion too and then every period was like brownish clots but nothing heavy or prolonged so do get back to your gynae and get it checked out - just for your own peace of mind.
Anne, the mirena in my cae made myt periods all but disappear. Not a particularly wanted side effect but a small price to pay for a contraceptive which is as close to perfect as you can get without have a tubal and not having to take a pill every day.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  01 Aug 2008
Hi Eve,

What you say sounds normal, but why don't you go back to your
G.P. to put your mind at rest. Don't worry just get medical opinion and then you will be able to Chill!

-Anne

11 Posts

Alison M.  ·  01 Aug 2008
Hi Eve, I had a similar problem after the coil was inserted. I passed clots that were like lumps of liver (gross I know, but true). Anyway, my GP prescribed Cyklokapron for 5 days and I must say that totally put pay to that episode. It was very upsetting and worrying so I totally sympathise. Get yourself down to your GP or Gynae and request the tablets. Women need to get a little more assertive where our health is concerned. We all too often resort to our sense of humour to get us through a health worry but in the end we need to educate ourselves more & demand a better service. Not easy when you are sick & vulnerable. I hope you get yourself sorted Eve as Im doing much better since the Mirena (11th June) I am not as tired (from heavy, prolonged periods) and can wear a white jeans again....albeit with a little trepidation!Take control of your health...go to your GP today!

2 Posts

ANNA (MHV71411)  ·  31 Jul 2008
Ive heard so many good things about the coil & so many bad things, what I would like to know does it help ease my peroids

Anonymous  ·  31 Jul 2008
I dunno loo, as a choice between a spot or two (as distinct from a full period now that I have a mirena) and a choice between having to shave my face every single day - rather than wax once a month, I think I prefer being a woman.

6 Posts

loo  ·  31 Jul 2008
Female humour nothing like it !
Whether its periods ,cysts or coils its always a challenge , can you imagine men having to deal with this !

Anonymous  ·  31 Jul 2008
hi anyone out there I had the marina coil fitted the 2nd july08. I bled for 21 days, then it stopped, now its like dark black blood clots, very heavy just won't stop. starting to get headaches. I think I am losing my own blood, doesn't feel right.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  31 Jul 2008
Loo, I love it! well done!

I will do my best to remember this chat when its mooring,
or, setting said I'M NOT SURE

- Anne

6 Posts

loo  ·  30 Jul 2008
Anne,
Do you mean ovarian ??

Anonymous  ·  30 Jul 2008
Well loo we are discussing our menstrual 'cycles' :-).
Great that we can take it all with humour.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  30 Jul 2008
Hi Loo and Cally,

Thanks for your feedback. I am told that I have a cyst the
shape of a RUGBY ball, a MARINA and I am aiming for a TENNIS
COURT next, what do you think! I am not the sporty type.

- Anne

6 Posts

loo  ·  29 Jul 2008
Hi anne,
I had my mirena removed last week. it was very easy, 2 seconds literally of discomfort and then back to normal. I have had no problems at all. It is nothing like it was when it was inserted so don't stress.

Anonymous  ·  29 Jul 2008
Hi Anne, when you self exam - I do it every month or so, you should feel the string of the mirena, a very short one, just outside the cervix. This generally is what the doc will use to remove it.
I'm sure the doc will be able to find it tho'. Sometimes it folds up behind the cervix and you can only feel a small bit of it. Sure, let us know how you get on.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  28 Jul 2008
Hi Cally,

What String! I could never feel a string, Ah! I am not going to worry about it, I will make the appointment and let the Doctor look for it and I will just stay up in my head and pretend all is well! I will let you know how I get on, for a laugh if nothing else.

Thanks Cally,

Anne

Anonymous  ·  28 Jul 2008
Hi Anne, as long as you can feel the string there should be no problem removing at the clinic. I had problems with the second insertion but no problems with removal at all. Like I say, quick, painless and hassle free.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  25 Jul 2008
Hi Cally,

Thank you for relieving my mind, you are correct now that I
remember they were checking for fibroids that is why I had
G.A.

It has worked for me so well I forgot I had it in until I had
an xray recently.

=Anne.

Anonymous  ·  25 Jul 2008
Hi Anne, that is the route I'm going to go down for a future mirena - general aneasthetic.
I suppose it depends on the reason. My friend had it inserted under GA, simply becuase it was the best method to cpe with the pain and discomfort.
If this was your reasoning or you had it inserted while you were having another procedure - such as a D&C then I can see no reason why it can't be removed at a regualr clinic or doctors surgery. I had mine inserted and removed at the Everywoman / IFPA. It was quick, painless and nothing to be nervous about at all.

483 Posts

Anne.  ·  24 Jul 2008
Hi I came upon this forum by accident and I am wondering can
anybody help me.

I have had two mirena coils in over the years and it has worked
for me 100%. I was "put out" to have it inserted on both occasions so, could anybody tell me if I can have it removed
without anaesthetic and where should I go, I was thinking of
Well Women Clinic, I live in Dublin.

I would say to anybody go for it, it works.

15 Posts

carriemags  ·  23 Jul 2008
Have been off the pill for 5 years and was still suffering so that is why I tried the pill again. Would definitely try other methods but don't know enough about them.

15 Posts

carriemags  ·  23 Jul 2008
Have been off the pill for 5 years and was still suffering so that is why I tried the pill again. Would definitely try other methods but don't know enough about them.

6 Posts

loo  ·  22 Jul 2008
Hi all , Its been very informative to read all the forums on peoples thoughts on weight gain whilst on the mirena coil. I have had mine in since april 2003. The first three months were hell with cramps etc but that did settle. Since then i now dont get periods, the odd spotting every through months but thats it. My biggest worry is that the weight gain over the past 3-4 months is horrid. 1.5 stone, not good. My boobs were pretty big but now i could give jordan a run for her money, they are enormous. I have days where i feel enormous heavy and so bloated. I do a lot of sport and eat a well balanced diet. So as of tomorrow the mirena gets removed, so watch this space. I suspect a massive weight loss about to happen. I'm a nurse and think logically but i can hand on my heart say that all my problems are the mirena.

Anonymous  ·  22 Jul 2008
Hi Anonymous - sorry to piggyback - I'd love to hear more about non-invasive hormone-free contraceptives. I'd probably go for an implant next time as I wouldn't risk condoms and the whole diapgragm / cap thing is far to messy and kills the spontaneaity. But if there was another option I'd be willing to try it as we've discussed vasectomy and it's not an option just yet.

Anonymous  ·  21 Jul 2008
Carriemags,
Would you consider giving the pill a complete break for a while and get your body free from synthetic hormones for a while. I have endo as well and had problems with excessive bleeding. I stopped using the pill (after using many different kinds) and my cycle is now virtually "normal" again. We are lucky in the fact that we are happy with our children and do not want any more so my husband had a vasectomy done. Maybe this isnt an option for you, but there are other forms of contraception that are not evasive and dont involve putting hormones into your body. Hope you get it sorted out soon, but it may be worth trying to give your body a break and see if hormones are causing your bleeding. Good Luck.

18 Posts

Shelly  ·  14 Jul 2008
Hi Cally, I had the Mirena removed because I was having a lot of spotting for 3 weeks of every month, a lot of lower abdomonal pain and very sore boobs. I think I will try the pill, will have to speak with my gp but he keeps insisting that I have the mirena fitted again. I just couldn't put up with all that again.

Anonymous  ·  14 Jul 2008
Hi Shelly, you don't mention your reason for not wanting another mirena, but for reliablity, the pill or the implant is probably your best bet.
I'll probably go the implant next time round myself.

Anonymous  ·  14 Jul 2008
Carrie, if you are still bleeding very heavily since a birth over a year ago, have problems finding a suitable pill and have Endometriosis, it sounds like you already have a lot of dispruption in your life - a good deal more than most people have with the mirena. For me there was no problem carrying my normal day to day activities while the Mirena settles down, following the day it was inserted, with my first one, I just treat the six weeks after it as tho' it were an extra long period. I work 5 full days a week and exercise regularly but the mirena didn't interfere with this.

18 Posts

Shelly  ·  14 Jul 2008
Hi good morning to you. I've had the mirena coil removed last week. now dont want to have another one replaced. I'm epileptic. can anyone suggest an alternavtive contraception, I'm at a loss here.

2 Posts

ally  ·  14 Jul 2008
I found the merina coil worked brillliantly to stop anaemia. Had tried iron tablets and injections. Nothing else worked

15 Posts

carriemags  ·  12 Jul 2008
Hi, Have had 2 c-sections and am bleeding very heavily since the birth of my second over a year ago. I'm having problems to find a pill to suit me (had manic moods swings on some, hot flushes on others). I'm going for a laporascopy in Nov/Dec as I'm a sufferer with Endometriosis and my Gynae wants to fit the Mirena then. I am really worried about the whole settling down period with it. From reading the posts here it seems that they could go on for 3 - 6 months or longer. I can't afford to have this kind of dispruption in my life. I'm only just back at work after my maternity leave and have been put on my current pill 3 months back to back so that I can function for at least some of the time. How do ye manage to carry on your normal day to day activities while the Mirena settles down. I have two kids under 3 and work 4 full days. Am I mad to consider it? Any advice would be great - thanks.

5 Posts

Amy  ·  11 Jul 2008
Hi Cally!!

Thanks ever so much for replying - When I looked properly, you're right it isn't greyish (I think I panicked!!) but brownish old looking blood - so hopefully I am on my way to stopping bleeding totally too!!

thanks for your info - I feel alot better now!!

Anonymous  ·  11 Jul 2008
Hi Amy, I went from having normal (well, very heavy) poriods where the blood was a reddish colour before the pill to the same but much lighter on the pill, then a long long period - which was the same which I first got the coil. They then to changed to very light spotting but the blood was a brownish colour but have now stopped completely - which I know is normnal for a lot of women on the mirena. Never had any with a greyish colour tho'

Write a comment...