| |
(Thursday, 23rd Oct, 2014)

Mirena Coil

972 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

2 Posts

sord  ·  04 Mar 2013

Hi everyone - I had the mirena coil inserted almost three weeks ago for contraceptive purposes! In the past my periods were usually very light and pain free. Since having the coil inserted I have had a heavy-ish period for over a week now, moderate cramps but nothing that wont go away after 1-2 pain killers. I have had very bad experiences on the Pill (became quite sad) and using condoms (always tore and total mood killer for me) so I am trying to give my body a fighting chance by increasing my serotonin levels naturally (excercise, nutrition etc) and taking evening primrose oils also. I am wondering if anyone can offer any more advice on how to help my body adapt to this coil. I really want this to work for me so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Smile

4 Posts

mammy23  ·  27 Feb 2013

Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me???

Doctors, Gynae's, Nurses etc. refuse to admit there might be problems with Mirena. 

I've read a good few comments from various people of all different ages on this site as well as others and it baffles me that so many people are unhappy with the Mirena, telling their doctor and the doctor telling them "oh that's not a side-effect of the Mirena"

I had my Mirena fitted in Jan 2011 for the same reasons as most - heavy periods / contraception.  I wasn't happy with it from the start; I thought I was loosing my sanity at one point as never in my life was I as depressed over nothing.  Finally got it removed yesterday so hopefully things will start to feel better.

Anyway my final point is that we know our bodies better than anyone else - if you feel the Mirena is working for you keep it in your lucky so don't let other peoples bad experiences put you off.  But for the rest of us if you feel there is something not right get it out.

I am going back to using EVRA patches for contraception - much handier than taking the pill.  Wear 1 patch for 1 week, a new patch for the second week, a new patch for the third week and no patch for 1 week

Wishing you all the best

1 Posts

Ms Jez  ·  15 Feb 2013

HI I'm 49 yrs old and had coil fitted last Jan '12 because of heavy periods and for contraceptive purposes. And that's when the problems really started, approx 7 weeks after I had terrible pains, contractions, went back to where I had it fitted, it was still there and they sent me for a scan, it turned out I had fibroids, a polyp and an ovarian cyst. During all this time I was still bleeding, which then got worse, accompanied by pains like period pains. After a couple of hospital visits where all they did really was put me on a pill for 3 weeks to stop bleeding - which it did for about a week only to come back worse than before, a visit to my GP who said between the pills and coil I shouldn't have been bleeding and sent me to A&E for a D&C...which they refused to perform cos they didn't think I was bad enough. I guess one has to bleeding on to the floor and totally aenemic for that. So eventually had another scan in September which showed that polyp & ovarian cyst had gone but still multiple fibroids. So Dr's decided cos I was still bleeding heavily that they'd perform a hysteroscopy and D&C, remove mirena and re-insert one. After careful consideration and discussion with sisters and female friends I decided that I wouldn't have the coil re-inserted. They performed the op at beginng of December '12, for about 3 weeks after I had really very heavy bleeding, then it stopped for about a week and then I had what I think was a period for a week (it's hard to know when there has been so much bleeding). That was about 5 weeks ago and I've only started bleeding today. I had an appointment at hosp today for results of hysteroscopy and all was clear and I've to see how things go and go back again in 6 months. The thing is....I don't know if the mirena coil caused all of this, and every doctor I've spoken to has denied that it could, but I feel that the coil did if not cause it  did contribute to it in some way, possibly even exacerbating it. I don't know how it is going to go in the coming months but I do feel better for having gotten the coil out. I know it works for some people, I know 3 women who think it's brilliant, but, I also know 2 women who had very similar problems to mine. So in my small world that's a 50/50 chance, so if anyone was to ask my advice on whether to get it or not I would say just do your research and get all sides and opinions.

1 Posts

Rebecca lee  ·  28 Jan 2013

Hi all, I have had my mirena coil inserted 5 years ago I will be 54 years old in feb. overall I have had positive benefits I had it inserted due to very heavy periods and for contraception. Certainly stopped the heavy periods but recently I went to my family planning clinic to have it out but advised to leave it in another year but unsure ax to weight gain effects . This might be the only negative effect I might have . Anyone out there have similar experiences? 

8 Posts

Fiatwrecker  ·  21 Aug 2012

Jimmay

An MRI scan consists of essentially a large magnet spinnning in a defined direction to line up all the hydrogen atoms in the molecules in your body which when put together by a computer gives a picture. An MRI will only move metal - which the Mirena is not. [If the Mirena was mad of metal it would quite literally have been ripped out of you in teh MRI machine]

With regards to Xrays a mirena will show up because the mirena had a substance in it that shows up on XRays but is not metal.

So to answer you question no the MRI machine could not have moved your Mirena [however that doesn't mean that it hasn't come out - ie. if you've passed any large clots in a heavy period it may have come too. Best check to see you can feel the strings, or go to your GP to do a speculum examination to see the strings or do a pregnancy test].

Also, no method is 100% so there is the VERY MINOR chance [0.001% 1 in 1000 people] that you are pregnant with the coil still in site. A negative pregnancy test should put your mind at ease

4 Posts

mammy23  ·  20 Aug 2012

Thanks Sugarcube - I'll give it a try anyway.  Can't do any harm.

Jimmay1 - I get pregnancy feelings sometimes and have done since the mirena was fitted.  Some mornings i wake up feeling sick sore boobs etc but think this is just another side effect of the mirena as this has been happening for over 2 years and no baby!

1 Posts

Jimmay 1 :)  ·  17 Aug 2012

Hi gang... Well I got the marina cool in months ago and iv been with t my partner with the past three years as I'm not ready for more kids....I went for an MRI a good few weeks back so I was just wondering could the MRI scan have effected the marina coyle maybe move it or something???as I'm getting a lot of pregnancy signs  anybody know ???? Has that happened to anyone

6 Posts

net  ·  16 Aug 2012

Find all your answers here..................Kiss

http://www.squidoo.com/Mirena-Side-Effects

http://www.squidoo.com/Mirena-Side-Effects

2 Posts

sugarcube  ·  16 Aug 2012

Hi Mammy23,

I was like that before i had the coil fitted it didnt ease it which i thought it would.i was very emotional arguing with everyone for no reason at all didnt want to do anything r go anywhere.

a friend of mine reccommended i try vitamin b6 and evening primrose oil which i have to say i feel great since doing so. It may help you, do go into a health shop and enquire with an assitant.

Hope this helps 

4 Posts

mammy23  ·  15 Aug 2012
Hi,

I got the Mirena fitted in January 2010 and it helped solve some of my problems (heavy periods for many days at a time sometimes months with no stop) but since i got it i feel overly emotional all the time and seem to cry alot for absolutley no good reason. I feel as if i am going mad sometimes. I'm always down and feel depressed most days. I was never like this before.

I had my son when i was 18 and love him to bits, i would love more children sometime but not until i'm financially able. So i have tried most contraception available. I had the implant fitted for 3 years - the first 1 1/2 years was great no complaints, bleading every day for the other year and half. I tried the injection but made my period even worse. Tried the patch - for the 3 weeks i wore a patch i was fine but couldn't leave the house for the other week as i bleed so much.

I dont know what to do, i feel like i need to get this mirena out for my sanity but don't know what i could use after as contraception. I spoke to my Gyne about being overly emotional and she just laughed it off saying it's not got anything to do with the coil but from reading other posts i think she is wrong.

Any advice?

3 Posts

em81  ·  01 Aug 2012

Great thanks, not as anxious about it now. 

2 Posts

000000  ·  01 Aug 2012

Mirena coil for me has been brilliant this is my second one to have fitted.I would recommend it.I'm one of the lucky ones who has not had a bad experience or side effects from it.

1 Posts

lovie  ·  01 Aug 2012

Hi,I'm on my 2nd Mirena Coil and i've had no bother whatsoever..best thing i ever did for myself

2 Posts

sugarcube  ·  01 Aug 2012

Hi Em81,

I am on my second Mirena coil first got fitted in july 04 and second july 09.

The only problem which i think is related is that i have lower back pain which gets worse when i am due my period. Don't get periods only spotting. I am very happy with the Mirena coil.

Hope this helps

3 Posts

em81  ·  31 Jul 2012

Hi, I think I must be one of the lucky ones, had my Mirena fitted 4 years ago and have had no problems, except weight gain. I am wondering if anyone here has gone to have a second Mirena fitted after 5 years is up on their first coil? Thanks

1 Posts

gravy  ·  31 Jul 2012

I have had the Mirena Coil fitted for 2years and it's the best thing I've ever done, before I had terrible periods ie very heavy bleeding it was so bad I didn't leave the house just incase I leaked which had happend more than once aslo the cramps were the worst pain ever and I have had 3children. The Mirena was the best thing I ever did, only wish I had had it fitted years ago but like everthing it may not suit all.

2 Posts

Farley  ·  18 Jul 2012

I've been on my coil for just over three years, and I have had nothing but problems with it. I got pregnant on the coil and sadly miscarried. I have been very depressed since I have been on it and I've put on alot of weight. Sex is painfully, I'm in pain near enough all the time and I sometimes bleed. I renectly went to see my doctor as I started to get some pains and started bleeding and they couldn't find the strings to my coil. I am waiting to have a scan to check if my coil is still in my worm. I am starting to consider on having it taken out. Does anyone think I am over reacting?

1 Posts

Katie299  ·  07 Jul 2012

Hi

I had the Mirena coil fitted In Jan 2012 as the gyna thought it might help as i was having extreme pain after sex...ever since i have had it fitted i have had an overactive bladder problem which i am on medication for and awaiting an aapointment with a ureologist but i am also still bleeding every day. I have been told to give it six months which is now so i want it out but i am wondering does anybody know if i go back on my pill straight away after getting the coil out will i bleed every day again for a long period of time? Its really getting me down now and is ruining my relationship. I have to say i have found the last six months the worst ever thanks to the mirena coil! Any advice really appeactiated....

8 Posts

Fiatwrecker  ·  19 Jun 2012

Chip 91

Pain after sex or dyspareunia as the Drs call it is never normal. Have you had a recent cervical smear? If not you should visit your GP for one and discuss the issue with them

2 Posts

Farley  ·  19 Jun 2012

I'm 20 years old and have the mirena coil for just over 3 years. Since I've had it I've had nothing but problems. Pains, being sick, leaking nipples, mood swings. I've had 2 scans since having the coil and I got back from my doctor this morning and she couldn't find the strings to my coil and is now sending me for my 3rd scan. She reckons that my coil has either gone up again or my coil has come out completely. I've now got to wait 6 weeks till I have another scan and I can't seem to stop worrying. Should I consider having my coil taken out if it is still there?

5 Posts

reecka  ·  01 Jun 2012

Hi, Ye the Mirena is either great for people or awful.  I had it in for 2 years, and I bleed everyday for that time, I got it taken out and my periods are now almost back to normal.  My PMT was worse on Mirena too, and I had heard it was better for that too.  

So, overall, brilliant for the people that it seems to work for.  Terrible in my experience.  I love the idea of it though, its safe, last for 5 years and you dont have to think about it,  really sorry it did not work out for me.

and ye, I thought there was weight gain, however I dont notice any difference to that since I had it taken out 6 months ago, so I guess there is none.

Overall, its not easy for women, we have the periods, the child birth and then the contraception to think of afterwards, plus problem with the contraception and then we go back to work! You dont see many man looking after that side of it?

3 Posts

Sheetz  ·  23 May 2012

To Cat69: You are obviously one of the many lucky ones.  See my previous posts.  I am due to go for D & C as I have fibroids.  I should have had ultrasound scan and all this checked before I spent the money on a Mirena which is now gone.

To Halfmeboots:  I had bleeding non stop for 3 weeks, I kept saying I'd give it another month and another as I had heard so many good reports.  Hope your problem settles down!  Good luck.

Sheetz

1 Posts

Chip91  ·  21 May 2012

Hi everyone, i had the mirena coil fitted 12 months ago, due to endometriosis and heavy periods. I am nearly 21, and have a boyfriend, has anyone else noticed severe abdominal pains after intercourse? 

Other than that, I have had no problems regarding weight gain/bleeding etc

1 Posts

cat69  ·  17 May 2012

i had mirena coil fitted about 4 wks ago, and am finding it brilliant. slight bleeding for 2 days and that was all. i have a 1 yr old an 2 1/2 year old, so it is great to know i safe for 5 yrs. there so many people that seem to have problems with it, just taught it be nice to share a good story. x

15 Posts

halfmeboots  ·  07 May 2012

have had mirena coil inserted 27 days ago bleeding ever since is that normal should i go have it check out

3 Posts

Sheetz  ·  30 Apr 2012

To Ozmum - Am nearly sure I felt something coming out during heavy bleeding but just thought it was large clots!  It was only when another girl told me she had similar problems and hers had come out that I realised that's what I'd felt.  Doctor confirmed it was gone.  Going for ultrasound and gynae consultation next week.  Will keep what you have said in mind! thanks

Sheetz

2 Posts

mollymay 2  ·  28 Apr 2012

Hi ladies , anyone experience weight gain since having mirena ? 

1 Posts

Ozmum  ·  27 Apr 2012

Hi Sheetz, have you had an x-ray/ultra sound to confirm that the Marina has come out? The reason I ask is because I had my second Mirena put in about 3 yrs ago. Late last year I went for a reguar pap smear and the nurse couldn't find the strings, she sent me for an ultra sound. There was no sign of the marina in my uterus so I was told that "it must have fallen out with my heavy periods". So nothing else was done until I had a hip xray (for other reasons) two months later, and that's when I spotted the marina high up in my pelvic cavity. I'm now booked in for surgery in early May to have this dislodged mirena removed. I don't think I'll be going back for another one.

3 Posts

Sheetz  ·  24 Apr 2012

I had Mirena inserted 7 months ago because I had been experiencing heavy and irregular periods.  The pattern didn't change.  Still had heavy, irregular and prolonged periods.  Last week bleeding was so heavy I had to attend A&E.  It turns out the Mirena had come out during the bleeding!  Won't be getting another one!

Sheetz

2 Posts

mollymay 2  ·  14 Apr 2012

I got the mirena coil in on thursday last and i,m just wondering how long it takes for side effects to show , so far i,ve no bleeding , just mild cramping nothing major not even bad enough for painkillers , . Everything i read about the mirena coil seems to be negative and really i am just looking for some positive feed back . . MY major concern is weight gain as i have lost nearly 2 stone since Feburary and want to lose 1 more stone .I really dont want to gain weight or stay at this weight either . I would love to read some positive reveiws so ladies if your on this site and have good things to say let me know. 

12,082 Posts

Anonymous  ·  23 Mar 2012

Hi Christina, while it is unusual, I certainly wouldn't call it abnormal. The infection they can most probably sort out with abx for you. In a very small minority of cases, the cord retracts into the uterus and seems to be "lost" but in reality there isn't anywhere for the actual device to go inside the uterus (unless of course you have expelled it in which case you would surely notice), so once they locate it with an ultrasound thy cna usually remove it via hysteroscope.

1 Posts

christina1011  ·  22 Mar 2012

Just wondering-had the mirena coil fitted 6 weeks ago am still bleeding and having cramps in docs today looks like i have an infection and now they tell me they cant find the coil and i have to go get an ultrasound - is this normal?

2 Posts

SHELLY Q  ·  10 Feb 2012

Thanks for your post duckyboo, i am now 10 weeks with mirena and am having it removed within the next week as the bleeding is as heavy as day one and doing my head in i now have to go on iron tablets and have low blood pressure as a result so its going as soon as i get the appointment with gyni!!

3 Posts

duckyboos  ·  26 Jan 2012

hi shelly i had them for approx 6months after it was fitted everyone is different

2 Posts

SHELLY Q  ·  12 Jan 2012

Hi all,

Recently been diagnosed with endometriosis at age 43, because of

bad pain around the ovaires i have had an ovarian ultrasound done which

was clear i have the mirena coil fitted now almost 6 weeks and am gettin very

fed up with the bleeding end of things can any body tell me roughly how long

this will go on for until im back to not been cought out with my white dress on?Embarassed..

1 Posts

deedee2  ·  05 Jan 2012

I have to post a positive for the mirena coil.  I lived in the UK for 28 years and I am now back in Dublin.  I had my first mirena fitted at 32 and kept it for the full five years, before having a second one fitted which I only had removed when I got remarried.  After having my son, I had another mirena fitted which has been in place now for three years, although my partner would like it removed so that we can have a child.  I have never experienced any problems with this coil, and I have to say it has given me a new lease of life.  I lost weight gained from being on the pill, had more energy and no need of iron tablets for my anaemia, and had enough energy to get really fit.  I am having this coil removed so that we can try for another baby, but I will certainly be asking for another mirena fitted after the event.  I am aware that it doesn't suit everyone, but it is not all negative, honestly, and I would recommend anyone who is unsure just to give it a try to see if it suits you.

3 Posts

duckyboos  ·  03 Jan 2012

hi im 43 just had merina removed over 1 month ago haven't had period yet and trying for baby have done test and its neg is this all normal?

3 Posts

superstar  ·  07 Dec 2011

I have a pain down my front side, my front, around my belly button and lower back right hand side. Im also getting random pain around my stomach and uterus area and left side of back also. I thought it was the Mirena and got it out. Here's a bit of background. In aug 2011 I was admitted to a+e with severe abdominal pain, an ultrasound showed fluid around my appendix.  I was hooked up on antibotics for 6 days before they deicded to do a laparoscopy. They found adhesions and removed them. They said that that fluid would of dispersed with the antibiotics. I had alot of pain afterwards but put it down to healing pain. Since then, ive been having the pain like i stated above. My doctors have done urine, blood, swabs and have all come back clear.  I got the mirena coil out dec  1st as i felt this could of been a contributing factor. On taking it out, the nurse said their was alot of murky fluid around it , that came out with it. I felt relieve afterwards for a couple of days, but a week on i can feel the intensity of the pain increasing. I do not have an appointment with gynaecolgist until march 2012 with another ultrasound ,which will be longer again. I have the option of paying to see a gynae sooner but i would not be able to get any procedures done as they cost alot of money when going private. If you have any feedback , id be delighted to hear from you.

2 Posts

Amelia44  ·  24 Oct 2011

Hi Anon,

I went to gynae originally before having the coil removed,they told me to leave it be and give it time.The bleeding didnt stop so i eventually went back to the nurse who fitted it and she removed it and i am still bleeding.there are days when it might stop and it might for a few days and then it starts again.Its really upsetting and i have mood swings with it.Hope you know what i mean.

Gina

18 Posts

Shelly  ·  03 Oct 2011

Hi all,

Just thought I might give a positive comment on the Mirena coil.  I had mine fitted just over three months now and am finding it totally different this time around the last one I hated it completly changed me. It must be true what they say your body really changes with age.  I have a lot more sex drive dont know if thats because I can fully relax and not worry about becoming pregnant, my skin is great and Im not as moody as I was on the pill(which I couldnt take at all) and hey just light spotting the last two months thankfully no more heavy periods.  I hope it works as well for you all.

Michelle

« Prev Page Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation