157,892 registered users

| |
(Sunday, 21st Sep, 2014)

Diet After Gallbladder Removal

8 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

Anonymous  ·  08 Feb 2006
Bile salts are what your gall bladder normally produced to aid digestion.
Yes, they can be purchased at most pharmacies.
Whehter they interfere with heart meds depends on what you are taking and for what condition.
Your pharmacist or GP will be able to advise.
Another thing that my MIL found helpful was a bulk filler, called psyllum (sp?) made from plant extract.

Anonymous  ·  07 Feb 2006
what are bile salts and can they be purchased in pharmacy are they suitable for people on heart medicines etc.

Anonymous  ·  07 Feb 2006
I am the poster 13/09/2005 22:37 refers to (just stumbled on thisby accident) and yes all galbladder removal patients DO need bile salts to hep them digest their food. The function of he organ you had removed was the produciton of bile salts. These must now be replaced.

Anonymous  ·  28 Jan 2006
JIM its been 10mths since mine was removed. I have just eaten what I like and if it does not agree with me my tummy rejects it.
I also lost a lot of weight. Your girlfriend should just coninue on
her usual food but if any pain persists despite taking her prescribed medicine she should see her GP. Good luck to her

Anonymous  ·  28 Jan 2006
My grilfrend just had her gallbladder removed last week. it would be of great help if smoeboady could give us some advice on what foods to eat after this. and if we could have pepole tell us what to expect in the coming weeks as she recovers from this. thanking you all in advance

Anonymous  ·  13 Sep 2005
My 14 year old daughter had her gallbladder removed a months ago and we were told that she could just carry on as before where her diet was concerned. A poster on a site here told me that she should be taking bile salts. As for a diet the doctors don't seem too bothered or else its lack of interest, from my experience anyhow.

Anonymous  ·  08 Sep 2005
I too had gallbladder removed couple of months ago. I have gone off my food and find when I do eat my tummy is inclined to swell.
Love to know if there is a special diet one should be on. Have asked GP but he says eat what you enjoy !

Anonymous  ·  05 Sep 2005
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can suggest what foods should be avoided after having a gallbladder removed? My sister had it removed a couple of months ago but is having problems such as occasional vomiting and diarrehoea (sp?) she is also suffereing from excessive belching and a feeling of nausea quite often. She hasnt been able to pin point it to any particular food however. Are these symptoms normal after such a procedure?? Thank you in advance!

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation