| |
(Friday, 24th Oct, 2014)

Anti Depressants

111 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

4 Posts

sandy  ·  06 Apr 2009

I am weaning myself off zispin, is this wise do you think? I was on them long enough to see a change. I feel so flat and nervous.

4 Posts

sandy  ·  04 Apr 2009

I am taking zispin. i dont feel well on it at all, i actually feel worse.

2 Posts

kasandra (XML74102)  ·  06 Oct 2008
hi, thanks for the reply. Its just hard to know what to do, but i want to be honest with the doctor but because of previous bad experience, i was in a bind as to wheter to say anything or not! I still don't know whether to tell her about my previous addiction or not. i want to be honest as i said but the last doctor is making me think about it more because of the terrible way he treated me. Im seeing the new doctor today anyway so fingers crossed it goes well.
Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous  ·  03 Oct 2008
Kasandra:

Despite your bad experience with a previous doctor, I have to say that only a medical professional can, and should, advise you on something so serious as the type of medication you could be prescribed. The doctor will not think you are telling him or her what to do. Just bring up the subject, and say you heard of this product, and ask the doctor what s/he thinks. Perhaps the doctor will decide not to prescribe anything at all.
Best of luck

2 Posts

kasandra (XML74102)  ·  03 Oct 2008
hey everyone, im new here so just want to give you all a bit of background and see what you think i should do;
I was on methadone maintenance for heroin addiction, both of which im off and have over come. I continue to see a counsellor although iv moved to the countryside for a new life of sorts and am finding it very very hard to find a doctor who will help me or wants to help me, i dont know if this is because of my previous addictions or their lack of general knowledge of what to do in these situations as there doesnt seem to be any problems of this sort in this area and no clinics. Anyway i saw one doctor who treated me very badly, he didnt even look at me or ask me how i was or anything (i wont go into that too much) but at the moment i am depressed and i dont want to take valium or any type of benzo's as i know they are addictive and dont want to go back to that type of life. I am restless, even a bit insomniac...i work late into the evenings sometimes not coming home untill 4am after a 10 hour shift on my feet and i cant sleep, i do feel depressed, not suicidal but i find it hard to cope sometimes and although my counselling helps with this i do need something else..... so i have been re-searching anti depressants on the net and there effectiveness and side effets etc, and zisprin seems to be something that keeps coming up and seems it could be helpful to me although i am unsure of whether to mention this to a doctor as i dont want them to think im telling them what to do or trying to abuse them and get tablets (i have an appointment this coming monday with a new doctor who from what iv heard is very very good) so any advice would be really appreciated....
thanks

1 Posts

Jess  ·  29 Sep 2008
Hi Guys, I'm new to this so bear with me :) My partner was prescribed Zispin a couple of months back and changed into a completely different person. He seemed worse than ever. Now about a month ago his script ran out and he had no meds so after about a week of being off them I started to see a bit of the old him coming back, he seemed full of life and dead content with life. He's been back on them 2 weeks now and its just dreadful. Angry, moody, no interest. Has anybody had any experience with zispin or know anything about? Thanks a mill

4 Posts

Dee  ·  25 Sep 2008
Hi PC,
Since my comment was posted my GP has changed my medication to a new anti depressant that is out. It is called Lexapro. I am only on 20mg with this and I was on 60mg with Cipramil. I feel great with Lexapro. You should ask your GP to move you on to it if you wish. I find I have no side effects from it whatsoever. I feel a lot happier than I did on Cipramil and I find I have a lot more energy too.

Anonymous  ·  24 Sep 2008
Cipramil seems to have stopped working for me. I am on 40mg & have been on the medication for about 3 years now - starting initially on 20mg. I'm just wondering if this is normal & what should I do next. Should i increase the dose again? Any advice would be great. Thank you

4 Posts

Dee  ·  03 Sep 2008
Hi, I suffer from major depression which is the most common type of depression. I was on cipramil for so many years I can't even remember how long I was on it. I had no side effects coming off it and I do go on and off it quite regularly and still have no side effects. I would recommend it to anyone who does get severely depressed like I do

Anonymous  ·  29 Aug 2008
HI all have not been on for a while,I am now weaning off 120g cymbalta, Im fine for about 4 days but then I get sooooo DIZZY, am using flower essences,so now I only take 2 a week,no help from my GP.I have gained so much weight ,I must come off them,I also found I was drinking more red wine while on them.

3 Posts

corkforever  ·  26 Aug 2008
Does any one know what has replaced Melleril?

1,374 Posts

kissey  ·  19 Aug 2008
hi
dont be ashamed of your weight, i hope you dont mind me asking what weight are you, and if u r very depressed dont come of your meds yet, as you will only get worse, i came of mine and i ended up really bad, people were looking at me and i new what they were looking at me, my weight gain, my boobs have gotten big too, i have discussed this with my gp and he has said you are not over weight , and dont be minding people, yes clothes that i loved i got rid of, and i go mad if i cant get my size in a shop, but i shop in little woods catoluge, and they cater for all sizes, and you will be amazed what you look like with there selection, stop worrying, i even told my husband that i was sick of my weight and he said . if any member of family say anything to you, you tell them to look at themselves in the mirror,

2 Posts

Linda (ADV67812)  ·  18 Aug 2008
The weight gain just makes me more depressed and it can be another way not to go out. I have halved the amount of zispin that I'm now taking and when I return to the doctor I will ask him to take me off it.

1,374 Posts

kissey  ·  18 Aug 2008
hi cats
yes some anti depressants can cause weight gain. i used to be a size 10-12 in clothes and now i am a size 16, so dont let anyone tell you they dont make you put on weight they do. but dont stop your meds. eventually you and i will lose the weight and get back into our small sizes. i went from a size 36b bra to a 40dd, but i don't care.

Anonymous  ·  16 Aug 2008
hello there,
I have been suffering with depression for 12 years, I have been put on Lexotan, then seroxat, then Effexor xl they didnt work so I have been on since 1996 Effexor, and since 2002 Epilum for mood swings, I am just wondering if the pill interferes with the anti d's as I notice when i go back on it after my period my moods get worse, last week I had a very down week.

Anonymous  ·  14 Aug 2008
great site for people with depression

Anonymous  ·  11 Aug 2008
I am taking effexor and zispin. I have noticed a big increase in weight gain since starting on the zispin. None of my clothes will fit me. I am also planning a pregnancy and would like to know if anyone has been on these meds during a pregnancy?

1,374 Posts

kissey  ·  29 Jul 2008
hi
i was taking exfor for a while, but then my blood presssure shot up. i had to be monitiored for a few weeks. i was taken off them and put on gamiel. i was told that every few years my meds will have to be changed around, as its dangerous to be on the same ones all the time.

1 Posts

rachchristina  ·  23 Jul 2008
hi everyone. i was on cipramil for 5 yrs and it work well for me but then it just stopped work, the doctor put it up to 40mg a day which did help but im still not completly myself so he changed me to lexapro! has anyone ever done this change and found it worked for them.

Anonymous  ·  10 Jun 2008
Mazz

I have been on so many different anti depressants over the last 11 years, about 3 years ago I was put on Cymbalta by my doctor. I found it to be the best so far. I am however taking Lithium with it at the moment. This was supposed to be a temp fix as I was going through a rough patch but my doc continued it (I wasnt impressed with this). I was of the opinion Cymbalta would work on its own as it did previously. So I would go ahead and try it with a positive mind.
On another topic, I am now in the process of coming off Lithium and in a few months I will hopefully come off Cymbalta as my husband and I want to try for a child. I do find a problem with my doctor, however as he doesnt seem keen for me to come off the meds, he is not being too supportive so if anyone out there has any help on how I can help myself it would be greatly appreciated.

12 Posts

Nickel  ·  05 Jun 2008
Hi Mazz,

I took cipramil for a a while too, along with a range of other anti-depressants. Some didnt work at all, some like cipramil seemed to work for a while then gradually seem to stop working.
Ive been taking cymbalta since 11/2007, of all the anti-depressants ive ever taken, its definiteley the best.
It took a while to get the right dose (15mg to 60mg) and there were some slight side effects at the start (dry mouth, sleep etc.) but nothing since.
The one thing I noticed is that I seem to feel increasingly better each month. I always felt before that after the initial 3 months, you reached a certain level and thats as good as it gets, but thats not happening this time.
I genuinely feel stronger and more positive each and every month, hopefully it will last. Im doing things now that would have been virtually impossible 12 months ago.

I hope this is of some help Mazz, Cymbalta may not be the answer for you, but dont be afraid to try it and hopefully it will give you the results Im enjoying at the present.

All the best
Sláinte,
N.

1 Posts

mazz  ·  04 Jun 2008
have been on cipramil for 4 years and its just stopped working. my doc wants me to go on cymbalta, any feedback would be appreciated.

19 Posts

lady  ·  13 Nov 2007
don da don don yes im on lexapro been so for 4 years dont think they do any good ive been moody ever since think they made me more introverted and anti-social so a few days ago i stopped

Anonymous  ·  24 Oct 2007
I too absolutely detest when the clocks change for winter. I was not on anti-D, but it is a time when I feel genuinely down.
I'm not sure if this will help you but I make a point to get outside into the natural light for 15 minutes every single day.
During the week I either go for a short walk just after lunch or take an afternoon break outside.

2 Posts

Dizzychica  ·  23 Oct 2007
can someone help. ive come off effexor slowly, and have been off a couple of months now.feel a lil down, but am not sure if i think i need my crutch(my tablets), or because its the winter and i hate the dark evenings!!! i wonder if its association with when i first was ill, november. or could it be mild SAD. i'm considering counselling or acupuncture to come off the meds sucessfully or buying a light box if its a case of SAD. im confused!! ;o)

Anonymous  ·  15 Oct 2007
Anyone on Lexapro? I've been taking it 6 months and don't notice any difference in my depression. It's turned me into a lazy and unsocial person though. It's an effort to do anything.

12 Posts

kimmac  ·  15 Oct 2007
DULOXETINE (Cymbalta)
Hi I've been on Duloxetine for 2 weeks now and over the last few days have thankfully noticed some improvements.
I was wondering if anyone out there is taking this drug and how you are getting on, any side effects etc.

Thanks
K

19 Posts

ChocolateTruffle  ·  16 May 2007
Hi,

My teenage daughter has been on Prozac for the last 8 weeks or so (following a suicide attempt). Her mood has stabilised and she's feeling much better for the last 4 weeks or so - however, she's now losing lots of hair, which is making her feel down again.

Has anybody any suggestions? The psychiatrist is difficult to deal with - I want my daughter to suggest we try to reduce the prozac little by little until we get to the point where she's still good but the hair stops falling out. But we don't know how the psychiatrist will react.

Are there any remedies that won't affect the prozac and that she could use.

Thanks.

4 Posts

Chels  ·  20 Mar 2007
Hi all,

my mum has suffered from depression/anxiety for nearly 10 years now. She is constantly having to change her meds and is slowiny coming to the realisation that there is no 'wonder drug'. The antidepressants are necessary as they act like a crutch but I cannot stress enough the benefits of cognitive behavioural therapy or other activities that you can participate in in your mental health centre. When the drugs lift you enough to make you feel a little human again, get yourself involved in something. Talk to your pdoc about resources available to you -it will build your confidence. Now we have good days and bad days with my mum and I am the only daughter so sometimes I get frustrated and upset that I can't take it away from her. However, slowly we are making progress but we always have setbacks, it's normal. The meds work for a short time on some people, in other's it's for longer. Not all drugs suit some people. Effexor didn't suit my mum. Coming off one type of medication is always difficult as it IS such a crutch but most of the improvements you feel comes from you. If you come off your meds and relapse, you can gfo back on them but you have to try, believe me. Form someone who has ridden a rollercoaster of depression/anxiety with my mum for the last ten years, I think I have enough experience to say trust me..there is no quick fix. You need to take baby steps. If you are on a cocktail of meds, you may need them. Get yourself into some therapy and into a group activity such as art therapy/walking or something. Make your pdoc aware of how important this is for you. Slowly you may see some improvement but there is no shame in a set back if you come off your meds. There is a whole host of different drugs out there for a reason.

Anonymous  ·  17 Mar 2007
Hi, I have found your messages very helpful. I have suffered with depression for the past six years and am taking 150 mg eflexor. I tried to come off this a year ago but went downhill rapidly within the matter of days. There was no explanation except for the reduction as circs hadn't changed at all and I was happy. Have read that they are difficult to come off. Circs are still good so have spoken with Doctor about reducing dose with a few to coming off them. I have read about the B12 lozenges and am going to take them. Any other tips or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Anonymous  ·  12 Mar 2007
I'm 19 years old and suffer from severe depression. I'm taking Efexor XL 300mg, Zispin 15mg, Lamictal 200mg, Risperdal 2mg, tertroxin 40mg and Zimovane 7.5mg and lately my heart rate is nearly always over 120 beats per min. Is this a common side effect of any of these tablets?

1 Posts

Paudie  ·  24 Dec 2006
I've been on Efexor XL now for nearly 6 months. I experienced no serious side effects of the drug a bit of trouble sleeping at night, increase in sweating and some tremors in my hands, but these all disappeared after the first week or so. Before i went on Efexor XL i was feeling extremely down and I had bad Social Anxiety i.e. Going into college and talking to my friends made me extremely nervous and also talking to a group gave me very bad adrenaline rushes and panic attacks. The Social Anxiety and my depression went hand in hand. Id feel down because of my SA. I used to be extremely short tempered with my family and friends etc this was going on for nearly 2 years. But anyway since ive went on Efexor its changed my life! My confidence has been boosted an unbelievable amount, my depression has eased greatly (still get the odd bout but sure who doesnt? Nothing to worry about) I can cope with problems with ease and without stress, i can talk in public without a bother, my friends and family have noticed a complete change in my mood, and are very happy with me, im more cheerful and outgoing the way i used to be. Its important to have close friends outside of family who understand ur situation and are willing to help. Without my friends i dont know where id be! My only worry is coming off the drug, I dont want to stay on it much longer but im afraid that the feelings of despair and anxiety will come back. I realise that taking drug probably had a placebo effect on my mental state but i have no doubt that i have benefitted greatly from taking it!!

4 Posts

Chels  ·  14 Sep 2006
To Juju:

My mum was on effexor and also gained weight. It's normal. I guess if it's helping you to feel better, then you can overcome the weight gain through taking up light exercise such as a daily walk- that will also help with your mood.

5 Posts

juju  ·  14 Sep 2006
Hi
ive been on eflexor XL for the last 4 months and have started to gain alot of weight.Has anyone else had this problem?
Because im considering not taking them

1 Posts

Jack  ·  16 May 2006
Hi All, I am a diabetic (type 2)and had been taking Lustral for a few months for depression. They did not work for me, as I found that I was getting deeper into myself. I discussed this with my doctor and he perscribed Cymbalta for the depression and diabetic neuropetic pain(which affected my feet). I have been on Cymbalta for the last five months and feel a hell of a lot better. I am now starting to enjoy life again and am able to go walking as my feet are no longer hurting.The side effects that I have experienced are, delayed ejaculation, weight loss, dry mouth & diarrhoea (all managable). Regards Jack

4 Posts

Chels  ·  24 Apr 2006
anxiety/support group/hypnotherapy-HELP!
Did anyone try the Revovery group who meet in Cork? Trying to get me mum into a group as I am at my wits end with her anxiety. She has been on various meds for 4 years and keeps relapsing. It's worse in the mornings -anyone find that? Also did anyone try hypnotherapy for anxiety?

Anonymous  ·  14 Apr 2006
HI,

I am suffering from anxiety and depression. I am flat out from seeing psychologists, doctors, counsellors and therapists. I am just wondeing if anyone knows of any anxiety or depression meetings in the cork area. I would really love to just talk to other young people with similar problems. Best of Luck everyone

Anonymous  ·  21 Mar 2006
Hi , I am hoping that somebody out there can help me, I have been given a perscription for LEXAPRO 10mg from my doctor, after nine months of depression, can anybody tell me how much 28 will cost and do you put weight on while taking them, as I have battled with weight problems in the past and I do not want to add fuel to the fire, so to speak, Many thanks in advance for all your experience!!!!

Anonymous  ·  21 Feb 2006
Does anyone know how to alleviate the symptoms of an accidentally skipped dose? I'm on effexor but I believe most of the anti depressants produce similar type effects if you've skipped a dose, usually flu like symptoms. I'm on a maintenance dose of effexor along with lithium. I think the lithium is very beneficial but I'm still reluctant to come off an antidepressant completely as I went on a minimal dose of effexor once under the guidance of my GP on a phased basis but I could feel myself sinking again.I've been on the maintenance dose for a number of years and I don't really have a problem with it as I'm functioning fairly well and have't had a serious episode in a good few years.Yet you realise how powerful anti depressants are if you skip a dose and the effects set in fairly quickly. As I've said I wouldn't mind just being on lithium alone but too scared to risk coming off effexor as the fear of a depressive episode doesn't bear thinking about. When you reach that low talking doesn't work and you do have to rely on medication at that stage which is why I'm not someone who takes an anti-medication stance.

5 Posts

marian (coughlanmarian)  ·  17 Feb 2006
IOO euros a visit for any sort of depression anxiety etc seems a lot to me.I had to stop working when I got ill( I have a lot of other problems) depression does not help them and my other problems does not help with my depression its an on going circle with me, I go to a pain managment consultant

Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation