ADVERTISEMENT
157,737 registered users

| |
(Saturday, 26th Jul, 2014)

Glucose in urine, not in blood - how come?

11 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

19 Posts

John (omearaj)  ·  18 Sep 2003
ah, okay.

Anonymous  ·  17 Sep 2003
Only been friendly......John.....okay

19 Posts

John (omearaj)  ·  15 Sep 2003
glucose in the urine doesn't necessarily mean DM - it's just one of the indicators. You'd really need a glucose tolerance test to tell for sure. Protein in the urine is often an indicator of abnormal kidney function (except after vigorous excercise). I only asked you that as another possibilty since glucose & protein present would indicate something wrong.
DM of some form is more likely since high blood glucose levels exceed the filtration capacity of the kidneys and some spills over into the urine- do you get very thirsty all the time? Do you crave sugary foods a lot? Do you get much excercise? Is there a lot of saturated fat and processed carbohydrates in your diet?
Oh yeah, and whats with the "......john" business?

Anonymous  ·  13 Sep 2003
No ,I was not tested for proteinurea,what would it show?What would it mean?Does having glucose in ones urine mean DM or not?thanks.

Anonymous  ·  12 Sep 2003
Not to my knowledge......John.

19 Posts

John (omearaj)  ·  10 Sep 2003
Of course. I really think that if your glycosuria test showed abnormally high levels,(and given your recurrant UTIs this obviously wasn't a once off fluke)you should have a glucose tolerance test - even if only to rule out D.M., it being the most likely cause.
If not D.M. you can then progress to kidney function tests etc.
As a matter of interest, were you tested for proteinurea at the same time?

Anonymous  ·  07 Sep 2003
Didn't think so anyway I did not have a Glucose Tolerance test but my blood was checked for Glycosuria.The discovery of glucose in my urine was made when I had 3 UTIs one after another.Been a Pharmacist you know what a UTI is?

19 Posts

John (omearaj)  ·  05 Sep 2003
Nope, Pharmacist.

Anonymous  ·  04 Sep 2003
Are you a doctor........John?????

19 Posts

John (omearaj)  ·  03 Sep 2003
What do you mean by not in a blood test?? I assume you mean a glucose tolerance test didn't show any abnormal Insulin function??
Is the glucose in your urine constantly there, or only on specic occasions?? Please specify.
HOw did you discover the glucose in your urine and what prompted you to check?
As regards your painful periods, consulting you docter about a combined oral contraceptive might help. you should also get tested for any extra-uterine placental tissue.

Anonymous  ·  02 Sep 2003
Can you tell me how come I have glucose in my urine but not in a blood test.I feel my bladder is fairly full all the time.My ovaries and periods are quite painful for the first few days.Any advice welcome?Thanks all.

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation