Adult acne

99 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

Anonymous  ·  27 Apr 2001
Hi there,
An online pharmacy, where & how
do you go about getting a prescription? Is it all above board?

Anonymous  ·  26 Apr 2001
I am a 29 years old male and I still suffer from mild acne,mainly on the chin.Over the years I've found that the only treatment that works for me is the oral antibiotic Tetracycline.My GP has been reluctant to prescribe this for me so I found an online pharmacy and have now been taking it for 18 months with no side effects.A Dermatoligist once told me because Tetracycline is specially for adult acne it does'nt have the same risks associated with long term use of standard antibiotics.

3 Posts

Owen (OwenPMc)  ·  25 Apr 2001
Hi there, guy here, 36, and have had acne on and off for the last 20+ of those years - so it's not just the women who have it.

Early days saw me on minocin, tetracycline, several topical applications, and damn all good they did.

In my 20s I took this up with my GP, and saw a dermatologist, as I figured I should be well past acne.
This led to several courses of Roaccutane, spread over a couple of years. It definitely seemed to help, drying up the skin and reducing the outbreaks. It was expensive, that's for sure, but it helped. I didn't suffer from any side-effects that I remember - that
was 10 years ago.
Of course the warnings for Roaccutane are much more severe for women than men, as I remember them, and it screwed up my blood donation opportunities for a long time too.

Anonymous  ·  25 Apr 2001
I believe Mirena is a form of Contraception that is inserted into your armpit and over periods of time releases hormones/drugs to stop you getting Pregnant. It means you don't have to take a pill everyday, but it also has a lot of side-effects like the pill

Anonymous  ·  25 Apr 2001
Hi, pardon my ignorance, but what is Mirena ?

Anonymous  ·  24 Apr 2001
I do believe there is a very small % of users of roaccutane who suffer these side effects, I felt it would be the last route I take, lucky for me Minocin is working so well, it will be interesting to see what I will be like after I stop taking them. In my pack of Minocin is an address to send off for a free acne pack the address is
Acne Info Services, Wyeth Lab, 765 SCR, Islandbridge, Dublin 8

2 Posts

jane (easybee)  ·  20 Apr 2001
has anybody tried roaccutane? it's horribly expensive, about 150 per month, and needs close supervision and blood tests by doctor but it really works. my daughter had severe acne and was put on roaccutane by a dermatologist for about 6 months. not only did the acne vanish but much of the scarring caused by acne healed and the acne never came back. two of my nephews have also undergone the treatment successfully.
i am aware that some young people have become depressed and suicidal on roaccutane but they are a tiny minority of users. my daughter was on a high throughout because she was so happy to have clear skin again.

Anonymous  ·  20 Apr 2001
Hi There,
I never heard of Sepia, is it natural Herbal medicine?

Anonymous  ·  20 Apr 2001
I am a 28 yr old female and I too suffer from acne. Four weeks ago I went to seen a Homeopath who prescribed "Sepia" I am happy to say so far so good, my skin has cleared up considerably. Has anyone else tried Sepia. I have visited a dermatologist who prescribed Dianette I took it for one month and felt it made a difference but when I went to my GP for a prescription he advised me against it as i have Mirena inserted. So i was back to square one as i do not want to have the Mirena removed.

2 Posts

Anne (Anniemac)  ·  19 Apr 2001
A reader asked about the possibility of polycystic ovaries being associated with adult acne. The answer is yes, & other symptoms include; irregular menstrual periods, abdominal pain, mood swings, hirsuitism ( facial & body hair) weight gain - despite not overeating, fatigue / tiredness.
A blood test, best carried out between day 3 & day 5 of your menstrual cycle, may be carried out by your G.P. to determine whether or not this is your problem. As pain & fertility problems are associated with polycystic ovaries, it is wise to check it out if you suspect it, & you may save yourself further concerns in the future.

Anonymous  ·  19 Apr 2001
Hi There, I always wanted to try Acupuncture, I would try anything that would help my skin improve. I believe VHI do not offer Homeopathy Medicine , but BUPA do offer Homeopathy Medicine which may include acupuncture. I do believe you need to take tablets for acne and for long periods of time, but also you need to use a cream also. I still use make-up, but I can pop out without any and not feel paranoid. I did read somewhere that the Chinese believe that eating Olives help cool that body from inside and stop boils from appearing on the surface of the skin, I'll stick to my Minocin.

Anonymous  ·  18 Apr 2001
To the person that started the discussion:
I am the female that recommended you try the cream "isotrexin" which is a form of roaccutane but without the side effects. I know that men are also prescribed minocin so you should try it. It's definetly a hormonal problem and diet and fresh air and excercise will not help you. It's a pity that the Dianette didn't agree with you because with this type of acne it really needs to be treated with tablets. Any good Dermatologist should be able to give you something that clears up your skin within six months to a year. You don't have to put up with it. I paid 40 to see my Dermatologist privately but it was worth it. Before I couldn't go outside the door without make-up on...now I can!!!!

Hi, it's me who started the discussion. The side effects of the Roaccutane drug sound horrible, and I certainly don't want to go on the pill again, especially after having to take time off from work the last time. Acupuncture sounds interesting, I don't suppose VHI covers acupuncture treatment? Also does VHI even cover referrals to a dermatologist? Minocin also sounds promising, especially since it seems to have worked for some of you guys, which reminds me, are you people male or female? I am female, but what do doctors give adult males who have acne? Or is it the case that guys just don't suffer from it? In that case I think it really is a hormonal curse. But if that's the case too then how come my spots don't get worse depending on my "time of the month", they are just consistently bad.

Hi there,I was sent to a Dermatologist about 2 years ago who wanted me to go on Roaccutane, I was very uncomfortable about taking it because of the problems with it, there were just too many!
As I said before I am taking minocin SA (minocycline Capsules 100mg 27 for 28 Tabs)before I started this course this week I have been on 3 months of antibiotics & using Clarins Purifying cleaning Gel & PanOxyl (Benzoyl Peroxide)off the shelf cream & no Cheese or Bananas and I have had no large painful sore boils/spots in 3 months, I am afraid to stop taking tablets in case it all returns but I can't take them forever. I have been to see a Chinese herbalist about 18 months & he gave me Purifying tabs which worked for a short time.
The person using Minocin, how is it working for you.?
I would be interested to hear about
Polycystic Ovaries?

Anonymous  ·  17 Apr 2001
Hi, I always had CRYSTAL clear skin throughout my teens. At the age of 22 Acne struck out of nowhere, within a couple of weeks my skin literally bubbled. The doctor presribed Dianette, and an antibiotic lotion. It took a while, but my skin cleared up again, and I was delighted. A year later though, my mood swings became unbearable, I came of the pill, and within two months, my skin was back to the way it was before. I don't want to be on the pill all my life, it is disastrous for my moods, and with blod clots and other side effects, can be quite dangerous. I have heard that adult acne in Females can be related to Polycystic Ovaries. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there another way of treating it besides Dianette?

Hi. I too have also been a sufferer of "Adult Acne". However there is light at the end of the tunnel. I would advise you to go and see a "Dermatologist" as soon as possible. At the age of 23 I started getting terrible acne. I was referred to a Dermatologist and she prescribed dianette, minocin and a cream called benzamycin. My skin cleared up for a while but eventually the acne returned. My Dermatologist then prescribed a cream called "Isotrexin". It is excellent and my skin is clear now. I hope this helps you. The "Isotrexin" and "Benzamycin" work well together. Good luck with it!

Hi, I understand completely how you feel, I'm 28 now, I suffered from Grade 1 acne from the age of 13, I got it under control at the age of about 24 but I've needed two repeat treatments since then.
I tried every single herbal, antibiotic and natural remedy you ever heard of and eventually I was put on Roaccutane, you've probably heard a lot about it, it's been linked to some suicides and it does have some side effects, (your skin is VERY dry, you get some nose bleeds, aches in the bones etc.), but I felt is was worth it and I was monitored constantly while I was on it, it's a minimum 4 month course, (you need to be on the pill a month before all during and a month after, because of the effects it could have on an unborn child), it's great though... (apparently I'm one of about 5% of people who needed to be re-treated. I had a relapse, about a year after I came off roaccutane the first time).
If you are completely oppose to the idea of antibiotics the only other thing that worked for me, (and I have to say I was surprised it did), was acupuncture, it's not painful but it was expensive, I needed to have a session every week, the problem was that as soon as I stopped treatment the acne came back, it wasn't a permanent cure. Best of luck....

Hi There, I am in the same boat as you, eat well etc, etc & have acne I am 29 years, I was on Dianette for over 2 years, started to get pains & put on loads of weight, my skin did not get any better, so I stopped & went on a course of antibiotics for 3 months improved greatly & now I am starting to take Minason, I will let you know how I get on, it's so dishearting but I will take anything, but I feel now there is a light at the end of the tunnel after 6 years I think this course will clear it all up. fingers crossed.

Anonymous  ·  12 Apr 2001
Hi everybody, I'm 21 and suffer (and I do mean suffer) from what my doctor diagnosed a few months ago as Grade 1 acne. He gave two choices of treatment; antibiotics for three months or a drug called Dianette, a form of the contraceptive Pill. Since I didn't feel like putting antibiotics through my body for 3 whole months I went for the Dianette. The third day after I started taking it I woke up with a horrific migraine, tingling down my arm, and blurry vision, I was an blubbering wreck, crying and welling up all the time. Rang my GP and told him my story, he didn't seem the least bit concerned about the posibility of blood clots (of which my complaints were prime symptoms of) and basically fobbed me off. End of experience with Acne drugs. I have tried so many products, expensive ones, cheap ones, witch hazel, tea tree, steaming. I do not often wear make-up, I eat well, fruit and veg daily, I excercise and get fresh air. The irony is that when I was a teenager, I didn't have many teenage spots at all, just the odd one on my forehead.
My skin just produces unbelievable amounts of spot-making stuff! I've heard of another drug called Minason, an antibiotic, anybody know anything about it? Need Help!

<- Prev Page