| |
(Friday, 25th Jul, 2014)

Contraceptive pills

39 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

7 Posts

JP27  ·  12 Nov 2009

Hi there, Im on the pill Ovranette. I startd my break on a thursday and was sick the following Monday. I started the next pack of my pill the following Thursday. Cany anyone tell me am I protected from the first pill I take???? I have never been sick during my break week before. Thanks

1 Posts

chelle24  ·  30 Sep 2009

Hey i was wondering if any1 cud help me.  I have bn taking the pill microlite for the past 2 wks and all of a sudden i av bn experiencing severe bk pains.  Now i never suffered with bk problems before.  I was on cliest from 12yrs but came off wen in Jan 2008 wen i found out i was carrying my first child (never had probs with Cliest, GP advised me to cum off this).  So my question is has any1 experience the same as myself. 

2 Posts

blondie  ·  03 Oct 2008
I am on microlite just a little over a month but I am worried i am not safe. how do i know its actually working?

Anonymous  ·  21 Jul 2008
Hi there, I tried to start a new discussions but could not find it so I put my query here. Basically I had taken my pill (without missing one) and this week my period is due. I am due to start my pill tomorrow but there is still no sign of my period, is it ok to start my new month pill or should I do a test - please reply looking forward to hearing responses many thanks

3 Posts

sarah  ·  15 Jun 2008
hi somebody said ovranette is off the market? is this true because i've just started it? its out years so im a bit worried. maybe i should be on an up to date one?

Anonymous  ·  13 Feb 2008
hi lookin for help on something....
im 17 and first time pill user...
any body know where to buy the pill in dublin?
and do you have to go to your doctor first?
and im totally lost on WHICH one to get because iv gotten mixed answers on this, please help!

1,950 Posts

Pixie  ·  22 Jun 2007
Mags,
I hope you don't mind my asking but why on earth are you coming off the pill and then having sex?
Is that not a bit silly?
It can take a few weeks to months for your 'normal' period to return after stopping the pill so you will seriously have to think of an interim method of contraception.
You are playing with fire!

Anonymous  ·  22 Jun 2007
I have been using Microlite for the past couple of years and I have just finished a pack. I want to take my next pack straight away. Has anybody done this and will it stop my period for the month?

Anonymous  ·  21 Jun 2007
I've just been on Microlite Pill for just over 2 years now and have decided to go off it for the summer now to give my body a 'break',and to just see what happens or if there are any changes when i get back to normal. So, i finished the packet just before my period,and didnt start a new packet. I had sex the day before i should have started a new packet again ,and i was hungover and had smoked a good bit the night before. My doctor says i am protected for the 7days of my period but I have odd sensations in my tummy-is there any chance i could be pregnant?

2 Posts

roisin  ·  28 Sep 2006
i got onto this site to find out about yasmine, i'm on in for 4 months now but i'm finding that i'm hyper-emotional a lot of the time. problem is, the consensus seems to be that yasmine is one of the 'lightest' pills, so would any of the other ones make me worse or does it really depend on the person? i'm also fairly prone to depression and don't know if the black dog is back again. i'm in a new relationship and i'm scared to go off the pill to find out. would be v grateful for any advice!

11 Posts

JelloBiafra  ·  13 Aug 2006
cuould anyone tell me if they experienced loss of sensitivity during sex with the pill they were on? i took dianette for a year which made me moody, put on weight and actually intensified my acne! I also noticed loss of sensitivity after taking a break from it and then starting again. I'm thinking of trying Yasmin, Celeste or Piriton, has anyone experience with these?

My own advice is that everyone reacts differently to each pill but try looking for the "lightest" one available or the progesterone only pill, which seem to have fewer or a better balance of hormones

5 Posts

Anonomous  ·  06 Aug 2006
I've been taking microlite for 2 months, before that it was yasmin. Took my 7 day break and got no period. Could my pill just not be working and could i be pregnant?

35 Posts

Lyn  ·  02 Aug 2006
well ur better off being safe than sorry! perhaps someone can help me with my dilemna!!! I switched from Marviol to Dianette and was told to take my 7 pill free days as normal by my doctor, however when i read the Dianette packet it said to go straight on to the pills as soon as you finish your old pack (at this stage i'd already left the 7 days free) so now i'm very worried i might not be covered. I've had sex since and we did use a condom but i always like to have the extra protection of the pill too. Anyone else been in this situation?

Anonymous  ·  02 Aug 2006
Thank u lyn ...its strange because it wasnt like severe or anything but just to be on the safe side ...

35 Posts

Lyn  ·  02 Aug 2006
"If a woman vomits within three hours of taking the pill, she should consider it likely that the pill has been lost. Severe diarrhoea may also result in the pill being lost. In these cases the 'seven day rule' should be applied" Yep i just took this quote from one of the articles on this site. So yes you should follow the 7 day rule if you've been sick. I hope this helps.

Anonymous  ·  02 Aug 2006
I went back on my pill on saturday last..on sunday i had a mild touch of the runs same on monday same on tuesday nobody seems to know the answer to this i think i should follow 7 day rule of backing up with condoms until seven days after stomach upset goes can anybody shed some light on this for me ????

Anonymous  ·  06 Jul 2006
Is it safe to take the pill two months back to back to avoid a period.Is this safe?

Anonymous  ·  29 May 2006
I wouldn't recommend microlite to anyone I found that it gave migraines, something which I never get and I also found it made me moodier. It was verging onto depression. I'm on Jasmine and I find it far more effective

3 Posts

shakti  ·  23 May 2006
I am on Yasmin (originally for acne) i do suffer from headaches but i suffer from stress headaches either way. I was on Dianette and i find Yasmin alot better.

126 Posts

Chuckles  ·  30 Nov 2005
do you have the book you got with it? That should tell you. I'm on Mircolite and was advised to take it around the same time everyday. With the microlite if you're more than 12 hours late taking it, you have to take extra precautions. If you don't have the book, talk to your doctor or chemist.

Anonymous  ·  30 Nov 2005
im just back on dianette after trying different pills but my skin always stayed bad. i took a break of the pill for a few months. only went back on dianette two weeks ago, and wouldnt be taking it at the same time every day. i had unprotected sex the other nite and kinda worried that i miten have given the pill enough time to work or my system to get used to it. does it work from day one or do you usually have to wait a while for it to get working. i also heard that drinking a alchol can affect the pill. can anyone please help me on this one

243 Posts

karen (kazzap)  ·  20 Oct 2005
yasmine is supposed to be great for not putting on weight, i\'m not on it personally but i know this from reading other posts. I was on dianette and i put on a good bit of weight!

Anonymous  ·  19 Oct 2005
can any1 recommend a pill that doesnt put on weight?my last pill(femodene) seems to be gone off the market which is disappointin coz i found it gr8&didnt put on any weight with it!

Anonymous  ·  14 Oct 2005
I've had problems with a few different types of pills(Dizziness, headaches, migrane, exhaustion, moodiness, agressiveness) However, before i finally gave up on finding a suitable pill last year, my doctor reecommended Yasmin. I'm on it over 12months now and couldn't be happier. I'd definithy recommend it to anyone, especially if your having difficulty with other pills!

Anonymous  ·  08 Oct 2005
i have been taking ovranette for the past year and i have noticed that i have put on weight and also i have become incredibly emotional and aggressive.its really starting to worry me now, and i want to change pills.does anyone have any advice on different pills?

Anonymous  ·  11 Aug 2005
i have recently started taking the pill yasmin i have noticed that i am getting headaches nearly 1 hour after taking it the same time every day ? has anyone experienced this or am i being abit paranoid....

Anonymous  ·  18 Jul 2005
Does anyone have any idea if antihistamine allergy relief drugs lessen the effect of birth control pills? (The tablets in question being Piriton tablets containing chlorpheniramine, and I have been taking Microlite, a combined oral contraceptive). I have been getting conflicting answers and would just like to know for sure.

Anonymous  ·  30 Jun 2005
I used celeste myself until i had to go on another tablet for a different health problem that made any contraceptive drugs useless, and my chemist forgot to tell me so allways ask when you get any other medication is this going to effect my pill ???
A different chemist eventually told me that certain anibiotics st johns wort and may other tablets incuding mine make pill totally ineffective, as well as having stomach upsetts obviously.

i was wondering if any herbal medication of getting rid of acne could interfeer with the pill? i am on dianette and i was also taking a herbal table called agnus castus to help with my acne also.i am using dianette for contraception and my acne.my doctor said the herbal tablets would not effect the pill but the health store woman said it would please help.im woried i could be pregnant if the pill isnt working properly! help! please

The pill in not as expensive as that. What most people dont realise is that every time you get a prescription from a pharmacy, they charge you a dispense fee of about 5euro. I got a six months prescription of ovranette yesterday and it cost less than 20euro, thats six months contraction for 20 euro!!!! get it all at once instead of every month, cause you pay each time. cheaper than condoms!!

Anonymous  ·  29 Jun 2005
To who ever Posted 11/03/2005 08:50
Are you mad there is so much upset with parents and their young girls getting pregnant.The girls are terrified to tell their parents they are pregnant and the fact that most of these girls don't want or never intended on getting pregant all we keep telling them is go on the pill AND use a condom and there you are telling them to use the CHEAPER option how do you think these girls are getting pregnant because they either can't afford to buy the pill or they listen to people like you I think the pill should be free then you wouldn't have so many young people pregnant. I heard Yasmine is very good its supposed to be more balanced with your hormones it cost 12.

Anonymous  ·  28 Jun 2005
I can't believe you have to pay for the contraceptive pill I live in the UK, and it is free. I can't believe in this day and age, anyone is recommending premature ejaculation as a form of contraceptive, ridiculous. The pill has a balance of positives and negatives, it has been shown to increase the risk (And I say risk, not CAUSE) of some cancers, but it also decreases the risk of others. For me on balance, it is the way to go.

Anonymous  ·  11 Mar 2005
Contraceptive pills are a waste of money, premature ejaculation or condoms are much cheaper. Plus contraceptive pills have numerous side effects while premature ejaculation and condoms do not.

Anonymous  ·  23 Nov 2004
It depends which one you are on, but generally between 5 and 12 euro per month.

Anonymous  ·  23 Nov 2004
It depends which one you are on, but generally between 5 and 12 euro per month.

2 Posts

Grace (XNP20990)  ·  22 Nov 2004
how much does the pill cost??

112 Posts

cjackson  ·  16 Jul 2003
Microgynon contains exactly the same constituents as Ovranette - it's the same pill by another company. It was off the market too but is now obtainable again it seems.

Anonymous  ·  16 Jul 2003
In reply to annonymous 14/7/2003, I to was on the pill ovarnette and was in the same situatuion looking for one to suit me when it came of the market but, thankfully I found one called dianette I suffer from polycystic ovarian diseas and find this one works well with it.

Anonymous  ·  14 Jul 2003
I have used ovranette for approx 10 yrs. I got the Marine in Oct '02, but it didnt agree with me and decide to go back on the Pill 3-4 months ago. Ovranette has been removed from the market and I am having trouble finding a pill that agree's with me. Can you please suggest a Pill that is on the same as ovranette ?

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation