| |
(Wednesday, 26th Nov, 2014)

Pins and Needles

18 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

1 Posts

Paula (CSG73795)  ·  14 Aug 2008
My mam wakes up with Pins and Needles in the mornings in her right arm. When she is putting on her Mascara it always happens. Is there a reason for why this happened

1 Posts

amelia  ·  31 Aug 2007
i'm 50 and have been getting numbness, coldness/pins & needles from my left elbow down my inner arm to my fingers. Does anyone know what causes this? I do suffer from cramps, especially in my feet at night and even though I walk/exercise regularly I seem to have poor circulation - any info on this would be appreciated

Anonymous  ·  19 May 2006
I have been experiencing heart palps and numbness / pins & needles down my left side for the past few nites...had a lot of alcohol ovr wkned and have had early starts so think am over-tired. Am 29. Can someone reassure me it's not smth more sinister???

Anonymous  ·  12 May 2004
I suffered badly with pins and needles in my hands when I was pregnant. They used to wake me up at night and the condition was extremely uncomfortable, so I asked a midwife during one of my ante natal classes I attended how could I get rid of them. She said they were a result of the additional fluid I was carrying due to my pregnancy and the best way to ease the pain was to massage my arms just before I went to bed starting at my shoulder and working my way down to my hands. This wouldn't eliminate the condition, but would provide temporary relief. Massaging really worked and gave me some relief from the pins and needles until they disappeared altogether after I gave birth. I would definitely advise you to visit your GP, but if you have an inflammation, fluid retention etc. massaging the targeted area may help. Also an Epsom salts bath might work as it too would works if you have any kind of inflammation.

Anonymous  ·  05 May 2004
I have had them in my right hand, arm, shoulder plus a lot of pain and put it down to Repetivite Strain Injury. With rest and non use of the area, it gets better. However, the area remains a sensitive area forever and when used too much, causes pain and pins and needles come back too.

2 Posts

Catherine (murphystown)  ·  05 May 2004
I have just had a slipped disc 6/7 in my neck removed because I was having really bad pain - bad pins and needles and sensations down my left arm. I thought it was just a bad attack of my Fibromyalgia and went to my G.P. hoping to have my shoulder injected as painkillers were not working - was sent immediatley to a neurosurgeon - had an MRI Scan which showed up the problem. I am now 4 weeks post- op and the pins and needles have almost gone - only an odd day but nothing as bad as before the op. The dreadful pain is no longer just general post - 0p settling down of nerve endings etc. My advise go to your G.P.

Anonymous  ·  03 May 2004
i get pins and needles in the ends of my fingers, tip of my nose and from the knees down. Gets worse when i am abroad in the sun. anyone experienced same?

Anonymous  ·  26 Feb 2004
I have pins and needles in my foot
and it comes and goes, but it also
seems to be worse when I am in bed
and it keeps me awake some times.
Has anyone got any suggestions!!!!

1 Posts

Jimmy (rhinestone)  ·  29 Jul 2003
I have been experiencing pin & needles from my elbow to the tips of my fingers, left arm only, several times a day and usually grouped together in a short space of time. driving me mad.any ideas.

16 Posts

malcolm (milon)  ·  20 Jun 2003
Hi Patti, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is an annoying sort of numb pins and needles feeling in the hands, particularly the thumb and adjoining two or three fingers. Its caused by the median nerve which runs through the wrist getting squeezed by some kind of inflammation. This could be arthritis or more usually I think inflammation of the muscles caused by over-use or some repetitive action, like typing maybe! In my case it gets bad when I use tools like hammers or shovels etc. It is at its worst at night and also I find, when driving. You are inclined to shake your hands and try to find a comfortable position for them. As you may have gathered I am not a doctor but I have been doing a fair bit of research as I have been looking for a cure for some time. There is a cortisone injection which in my case worked for a short time, and an operation which, though it sounds a bit brutal is supposed to do the job. Hope this helps!

Anonymous  ·  17 Jun 2003
Hello Malcolm-writer of letter on
the 16th June, what is carpal tunnel syndrome? Patti

16 Posts

malcolm (milon)  ·  16 Jun 2003
For anonymous dated 1/5/03, its definitely (well!) Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Anonymous  ·  06 May 2003
I agree with Mary,as I am confined
to a wheelchair, and if I do not
move my feet a wee bit, I will get
pins and needles in my foot.Just keep your legs exercised if you can,and if you cannot walk like me,
then I hope that you are not deprived of physio. like I am!!!!

28 Posts

Mary (marylouise)  ·  02 May 2003
i have really bad circulation in my legs, if i sit down for too long they just fall asleep! but if you have pins and needles in your toes or feet, stand up, straighten your leg fully and vigorously rub the back of your knee. it takes a minute to take effect but while you rub your knee the pins and needles disappeer from your feet. keep this up until you can bear the feeling of walking on your feet again because this really is the best way to eliminate p&n's quickly. My mum who is a nurse taught me this trick, whether it is all in my head or i'm actually hitting a nerve of some sort is irrelevant, it really DOES work.... try it!

2 Posts

Paul (ELVISP)  ·  01 May 2003
i have been told that it could be bad circulation.Has anybody any other views on this

Anonymous  ·  01 May 2003
I have had a very severe attack of tendonitis recently and while the pain has eased, I now have bad pins and needles affecting my arm, and into my thumb and first two fingers of the same arm. Any ideas?

Anonymous  ·  30 Apr 2003
I get pins and needles in the tips of my fingers and my toes and the end of my nose when I'm tired. Any idea of what might cause this?

2 Posts

Paul (ELVISP)  ·  26 Apr 2003
I HAVE BEEN GETTING PINS AND NEEDLES IN MY THUMB THAT RUNS UP MY ARM TO MY SHOULDER. This has been happening since i came back from holidays in the USA. It can happen up to six or seven times a day and lasts for only five to ten seconds.Does anyone have any idea what this could be

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation