(Sunday, 21st Dec, 2014)

Hemorrhoids/Piles

5 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

1,374 Posts

purple  ·  10 Aug 2009

hi

i know most of the chemists are closed due to the strike, but the chemist on the tonglaee road in coolock, is open im sure u could get cream there, i dont think a shop would have it, or go to your GP he / she will write a script out for u.

1 Posts

sekpol  ·  09 Aug 2009

Which creams help against haemorrhoids?

1 Posts

bbrandy  ·  24 Jul 2009

I underwent full colonoscopy some years ago and it wasnt any bad I heard it would be. I got an injection in my buttock and the procedure itself did not hurt at all. Benefits of having this done might by far be worth the little inconvenience.

1,374 Posts

purple  ·  19 Jun 2009

hi

the doctor is trying to help u, u say that there is a history of it in the family,if i were u, i would get this done.

1 Posts

grantorino  ·  18 Jun 2009
Hi everyone, sorry if my first post is a bit long.

I'm a male in my late 30's. I have had the classic symptons of hemorrhoids for about 10 days...soreness/throbbing when having a bowel movement and for a short while afterwards with some ocassional bright red blood on the toilet paper. I visited a GP(my first time with this doctor) to confirm this and seek advice. I explained my symptoms and the relevant fact that a close family member had survived bowel cancer in the past. She diagnosed it as piles/hemorrhoids, based on my information and gave me a week long suppositories prescription as treatment. I think that was going to be the end of the consultation until I began to discuss bowel/colon health in general, at which point a colonoscopy appointment in the local hospital was suggested and my abdomen briefly examined. I don't think this would have been arranged until I began asking questions and I feel that it was to keep me happy and perhaps cover the doctor.My concerns are;I thought a physical exam of the area i.e. rectal exam, would have been automatically done? Not that I would relish such an exam, but if I had an issue with my ear, eye etc. I would expect a doctor to examine the area. I have no other bowel problems/symptons, so I don't want to get an invasive procedure such a a colonoscopy (under general anesthetic, according to the hospital) unless it is necessary. I was told that a colonoscopy would not even have been suggested, if it was not for my family history. I am fully aware and prepared for the fact that I am a candidate for a colonoscopy in the coming years.

I think the diagnosis is probably correct, but I'm thinking of getting a second opinion to confirm this and rule out anything else which a rectal exam should be able to do, without having a full colonoscopy.

Any opinions/experiences?

Thanks.

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation