157,923 registered users

| |
(Wednesday, 1st Oct, 2014)

Excessive tiredness-night sweats

15 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

Anonymous  ·  14 Nov 2001
Get checked by a neurologist for Narcolepsy, I had the same symtoms for 20 years, was diagnosed a year ago, and have a new lease of life.

2 Posts

scrappy  ·  14 Nov 2001
could it be glandular fever?

i have the same problem, well the tiredness bit anyway. I'm 18/f. I had glandular fever 18 months ago and wonder if it could be related..

Tired of being tired!

23 Posts

freddie  ·  08 Nov 2001
THANKS AGAIN FOR A QUICK AND EXCELLENT RESPONSE TO MY QUESTION.

Anonymous  ·  30 Oct 2001
With regard to decreasing sugar intake when your blood sugar levels are low...I'll try to explain my understanding from the advice I was given by my doctor. Eating sugar requires insulin to be produced by your body to process the sugar - typically sweet foods like cakes and sweets contain quite large amounts of processed sugars which are released into your system very quickly. Hypoglycaemia, or low blood sugar, can come about when your body produces more insulin than is required to process this sudden influx of sugar, ultimately reducing the sugar level in your body to a point where it is too low. Through continued intake of sugary foods, you experience a roller coaster of sugar highs and crashes during the day as you eat sugars to feel better but ultimately end up with your levels crashing because of your trigger-happy pancreas. This is why, ironically, eating refined sugars can exacerbate a problem with low blood-sugar levels. The advice that I was given was to cut refined sugars out of my diet and give my pancreas a rest. I generally reduced my carbohydrate intake and increased my protein intake, thereby eating more slow release foods that didn't put the same pressure on my system to process large amounts of sugar in a short space of time. After a period of 3 months, my pancreas seemed to go back to normal patterns of behaviour and my symptoms subsided. I can eat sugar every once in a while, but I try not to overdo it. I hope this is less ambiguous than my previous posting. If you think you might have low sugar levels, I'd recommend you have a chat with your GP for some professional advice - it's a really common condition and s/he should have some good pointers. There are also lots of books, including dietary books, that have helpful information about the condition. A good browse in the health section of a bookshop can turn up some very useful information. There is also lots of information available through sites like this one on the internet which can explain the condition and its treatment in more and better detail. Best of luck...

23 Posts

freddie  ·  26 Oct 2001
anonymous posted 20/7/2001
In your reply you suggested Hypoglycaemia(low blood sugar).Then you recomend cutting sugar out.Surley if you have low blood sugar you should increase your sugar intake.
Please explain,Thank you

Anonymous  ·  08 Oct 2001
Bloating of your stomach can be a sign of wheat intolerance and in some cases coeliac disease. You could give some thought to cutting wheat out of your diet for a period of 3 weeks to see if it makes a difference.

Anonymous  ·  05 Oct 2001
Can anyone out there help me.
I recently had a bloated out stomach im not over wraght i do drink plenty of water to flush it all out but its still the same i dont over eat or under eat can you help me

Anonymous  ·  30 Aug 2001
Had/have experienced same symptoms !. Could be a lot of conditions, but in my case I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. A skin biopsy proved it to be the case and hopefully not for you!.

Anonymous  ·  21 Aug 2001
"Stay off the booze" - whoever posted this sounds like a nice guy - NOT!

Anonymous  ·  17 Aug 2001
I suffer from excessive sweating at night, and I mean excessive. I have been to the doctor who simply told me to use less coverings but the duvet we use is only 4.5tog as it is.Anyone got any suggustions dietry or otherwise as to how to help?.

Anonymous  ·  25 Jul 2001
Excessive sleepiness or tiredness: test for thyroid functioning. But an under-active thyroid gland is more common in women, particularly older women, so I've read, although I know of a female's onset at age 27 and this was accompanied by a yellowing of the skin (due to slowing down of removal of electrolytes(?) by the kidneys). If the kidneys are not removing wastes fast enough, that might go with having an unusual odour. Don't know about the sweats.

Anonymous  ·  20 Jul 2001
Probably a bit late in suggesting this, but they sound like textbook symptoms of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). It doesn't always show up in blood tests the way its tested for in Ireland - have a think about cutting sugars out of your diet and generally lowering carbohydrate intake. If it is hypoglycaemia, it can take 3 months to a year to recover fully. Mine was diagnosed through dietary analysis (way too much sugar) and analysis of symptoms (identical to yours). I was fully recovered after about 6 months and now have a sugar free diet to help me to stay that way. If you haven't found any other satisafactory diagnosis, give it a try. I went to five doctors with the same symptoms before I got any help. Your pancreas might need a break to get on an even keel and avoid diabetes later in life.

Anonymous  ·  27 Mar 2001
In relation to the excessive tiredness and night sweats ,TB can cause simliar symtoms to what you have described.

Anonymous  ·  27 Mar 2001
Stay off the booze.

Anonymous  ·  16 Mar 2001
young male 20 - lately suffering excessive tiredness - has to be woken after 16 hours sleep - only other symptom - night sweats and
unusual odour of sweat. Any suggestions? Doctor just doing blood tests -what should we look for?

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation