| |
(Wednesday, 17th Sep, 2014)

B12 levels low

68 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

1 Posts

Greatbleddyman  ·  10 Jul 2012

Hi folks,  wondering whether anyone can answer a few questions.

I recently had blood tests and my B12 was at 55.  My intrinsic factor is fine, and I was scoped recently and that was all fine.  GP asked for retest and the low levels were retested.

Looking back at it I had some symptoms, but was putting them down to work, new baby, overweight etc but it all suddenly makes sense.

I'm getting injections and just wondering how long do they generally take to work.  How soon can I see an improvement.

Any idea whaty might be the cause when the usual suspects are ruled out.  Neeed I worry?

I'm not aenemic?  How can this be when B12 is needed for blood cells?

My gut feeling is I've had it years.  At what stage is irreversible damage done?  That is my main worry?

1 Posts

B12textberts  ·  05 May 2012

Informative site

www.b12d.org

1 Posts

MikeCrombeen  ·  23 Apr 2012

The very good factor regarding vit b12 toxicity is the fact it's not effortless to obtain. For instance, when a person takes an incredible dose of b12 vitamin the physique takes the needed amount, then it stores yet another amount but it relieves the rest over pee. The most common reaction to vit b12 deficiency will be the so called B12 deficiency anemia. This problem is poor due to the fact our physique stops creating sufficient levels of red blood cells. That is why the physique does not have plenty of air flow. The primary cause of this condition may be the vitamin b12 deficiency symptoms in our consuming strategy or there's a problem with the intake of vitamin b12 inside our gastrointestinal tract. The actual signs and symptoms related with this particular situation are weariness and listlessness, bowel obstruction or looseness of the bowels, depressive disorders, numbness within the toes and fingertips. We need to be careful with this type of insufficiency because if the symptoms are overlooked they may well trigger certain extreme well being difficulties linked towards the brain and also the nerve fibres. You can treat this condition using vitamin b12 health supplements and ahead of we start working with them we have to consult our physician initial. In this way we will likely be certain that we get the best dosage of vit b12 and we'll get numerous valuable recommendations on the way to treat b12 vitamin insufficiency.

1 Posts

mariadd  ·  09 Feb 2012

Hi,

My B12 level was 66 about three months ago. I'm 37 years old. My GP said I didn't have a real anemia, since my HB was not so low (117 at its minimum). 4 days after the first test the level was 107, without any injections. Now I take B12 Injections, but have the same rush described in one of the previous posts. It seems this is a rare condition. I don't know the reasons, we don't have such problems in the family. I read about the tests that could be made further, but nobody here is really interested and compared to other anemias, my condition is not so bad. I'm interested what happened to those of you that took injections for a long time. What happened with the rush? 

14 Posts

Sas  ·  21 Feb 2011

112 is very low, you will probably need injections, make an appointment to see your doctor.  Anything less than 200 is below normal.

1 Posts

Lolly810  ·  19 Feb 2011

I recently had my blood taken. The next week I rang the nurse to ask were the results back. She said my b12 level was 117. She never mentioned anything about making an appointment to see my Doctor. She said the level was low but that's all. My uncle who is not blood related had a problem with his b12 levels before and now my mother is concerned that I might have it too. Should I make an appointment to see my Doctor or is my mother just over reacting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Lauren 

1 Posts

Minso  ·  22 Oct 2010

I was diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia a few weeks ago. My levels were 125 which my Doctor said was extremely low. I am 46 years of age and PA runs in my family. My Doctor gave me two B12 injections but I got an allergic reaction to them (a very itch rash from my neck to my knees). She then told me to take B12 tablets but again I got a reaction from them (although not a severe). I do have other allergies to shellfish, aspirin, etc. What do you suggest I do next as I definitely need the B12?

1 Posts

Los Angeles  ·  13 Feb 2010

Normal range for Vitamin B12 is 180-914 PG/ML.

2 Posts

Angelica  ·  03 Feb 2010

It only gets better if you also take tablets too. Read my post below. The injections are not adequate. You will have to do a lot of research into this.

Read the link to the 'basics' in my last post. You have to help yourself. If not you will deteriorate quickly.

3 Posts

smablue  ·  02 Feb 2010

im due my forth injection of b12 on friday and i feel even worse than i did a month ago when i first started... my levels were at 61 three weeks ago. is this normal does anybody know? i am so weak at the moment cant stand this feelin much longer, i have 3 small kids and just cant keep up with my normal daily routine.. does it get better??Frown

2 Posts

longerlegs  ·  21 Jan 2010

can someone help me please. ive had my second injection of vitamin b12 this week. since november ive had 2 lung infections and two bouts of verigo. i keep feeling like im going to pass out and injections havent stopped this from happening. i now have a head cold and really bad pains in my lower back near to where i got injection. I feel like a hyprochondriac but am genuinely unwell. some of my symptoms were feeling as if i wa going to pass out and when in conversation with someone i would drift of into daydream and then snap out of it. please help im really stressed over this.

thanks

2 Posts

Angelica  ·  21 Jan 2010

All

My B12 was very low at 92. I have found great support from the following site. There is tonnes of information and it will probably take you 3 months to read it all.

There are over 1100 pages on the forum so they set up a small basics site just with info.

Basics:

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?p=191133&posted=1#post191133

The Main Site is

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=9948

Spend the time and read it. Everything you need is in these pages. Also it will help you handle the medical profession. I am living in England and present and they are very dismissive.

3 Posts

smablue  ·  20 Jan 2010

Hi everyone, i am just new to this website so bare with me.. I have recently had a blood test and my result came back the i have a problem with my b12 levels and my Iron levels. I started my injections of b12 the following day with my G.P. as my levels are only at 61... I was also put on iron tablets. My doc was very calm about this and said that he will give me an injection once a week for 4 weeks and a blood test in 3 months time and see how my levels are then.. I left thinking grand it will all be sorted in a month, but reading some of peoples messages it seem that i could be dealing with this a lot longer than expected!! Has anybody started at my level of 60? and if so how long did it take u to get them back up?? And last but not least, im paying 20euro per injection at the moment, is there any way of getting these cheaper if i do have to stay on them a while??

1 Posts

anonymus  ·  17 Jan 2010

has any one ever had bleeding gums with low b12 ?

14 Posts

Sas  ·  12 Jan 2010

Thats very high, which should not be a problem. Mine was 80 before injections, and was 800 at my last blood test which was way above normal. Not sure exactly the parameters, but reading back here someone is saying it should be over 500. I know the normal levels in this country is lower than that.

27 Posts

Marita  ·  12 Jan 2010

I have been told my B12 is greater than 2000 - don't know how much.  Does anyone know what the parameters are?

4 Posts

snoz  ·  24 Nov 2009

snoz

i suffer from vitamin b12 well thats what my doc says but to be honest i really dont have a clue what my levels should be as i have not been properly advised or even told what my levels were hence i have left my GP after 13 years of attending her. My last visit i was advised my levels were fine and have not have a test done since. I think my doc had it all wrong information very limited, she gave me no reason why my levels were low just you need the injection and thats it.!! i was dismissed immediately when i asked her a question guess why, yes cause she had,nt a clue and expected me to do research on little evidence of levels etc.

1,374 Posts

purple  ·  28 Apr 2009

hi sas

thanks for that.

14 Posts

Sas  ·  28 Apr 2009

Purple, if you have low levels of B12 it can cause a lot of symptoms, in my case extreme tiredness, aches and pains in my joints, tingliness in fingers and hands, headaches and palpations. If left untreated it can have more serious effects. Injections can bring your levels back up again. It can be caused by diet - extreme vegans can be lacking it though in my case it is because my stomach does not produce the substance needed to absorb B12.

1,374 Posts

purple  ·  27 Apr 2009

hi

this may sound stupid, but what is the b12 injections what do they do for u, a close friend of mine was talking about them today and i didnt like to ask her about them as she has just recently lost her mother.

30 Posts

hiratio  ·  22 Apr 2009

Hi Again...just reading up on the differences,you may find these interesting to know.....hope this can help you in anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12#Terminology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanocobalamin

30 Posts

hiratio  ·  21 Apr 2009

Hi...yes apparently there is a difference,but i'm not in a medical profession and i am only going on what has been explained to me by my GP,maybe there has been advancements in the B12 injections i don't know but my docotr informed me that the B12 that is available on script is no where near as potent as the one i was telling you about,the doctor use to administer it to me as well but only for a week,during that week (everyday)he taught me how to administer it to save on travelling and re-visit charges,as the B12 was quite expensive as well,it's a drug that isn't on the PBS list here.I'd be interested in knowing the laboratory or pharmaceutical name of the B12 injection that you get,if your doctor is administering the B12 it could well be the one i was telling you about...

14 Posts

Sas  ·  21 Apr 2009

I dont get anything from the pharmacy, to be honest didn't know there was different things, I thought vitamin B12 was vitamin B12.  My doctor gives me the injections.  Presummed if you need vitamin B12, then you are given vitamin B12 injections.

30 Posts

hiratio  ·  20 Apr 2009

Hi..here you go i found the name of it...cynanocobalamin injection,now this is completely different from what pharmacies keep and as stated in last post they didn't at the time stock this,this is the one that will bring your levels back up to range and your doctor can then keep an eye on you and assess whether you need to continue with the injections as it is pretty potent stuff....surely your doctor has heard of it,it was used as a treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome with  me, it's incredible stuff,surely australia isn't the only country with this medication ?Just ask your doctor on your next visit if he/she has heard of it and get their professional opinion on cynanocobalamin.

14 Posts

Sas  ·  20 Apr 2009

I really dont know if there is a special name for the injections, I just know them as B12 injections!  I'll probably be on them for life as its not just a temporary thing, its something that I will always have, so the injections are just to keep the levels up.

30 Posts

hiratio  ·  17 Apr 2009

Hi Sas...Hmmm just the normal B12 injections that you get a script from you doctor and fill at pharmacy?...very interesting i'm surprised that the medical profession still dispense this, my doctor informed me that it works to a degree the one you get from pharmacy but doesn't fully do it's job..maybe it's for different conditions the one i use to use,i don't know. it had to be injected daily my B12,  it was something completely different than what you get at the pharmacy.I'm sure i posted the name of the one i used here in this discussion.don't get me wrong i have heard people say that it does work but if you notice nearly everyone has had to go back on them over time,the one i used did absolute wonders and i have never had to go back on them and my levels are at a sustainable level and i was on the injections for around 6-12 months and the dosage was once a day,from memory it was a potent one and only had to administer  around the 5 ML....but don't hold me to that dosage as it was some years ago  :)

give me a day or 2 and i will find out what my doctor prescribed me,back at the time was very expensive i'm not sure about the cost now you don't need a script for it..well back  when i was on it you didn't as it wasn't a pharmacy drug,the doctor had to authorise it with some laboratory and when they received payment you received your injections but they were sent to the doctors practice they weren't allowed to send to your personal address,it all had to be done by my doctor with the exception of the injections, he taught me how to and where to inject as it was a daily medication it would of cost me or the gov't a fortune otherwise for daily visits to doctor :)

14 Posts

Sas  ·  17 Apr 2009

Just B12 injections.

30 Posts

hiratio  ·  16 Apr 2009

Hi all again....I can't remember if i asked this question before...what is the name of the injections that you are all talking about ? thanks.

14 Posts

Sas  ·  15 Apr 2009

I dont know anything about the tablets you are on, all I can say is what the two GPs in my surgery have said, and what I've read myself, and that is that the B12 needs to be injected straight into your blood stream. Maybe you could bring it up with your GP and see what he/she says. Initially I had one injection every week for 4 weeks, then one every four weeks, then had more blood tests to test the levels and now I'm on the injections every 3 months. My sister who also gets injections had been taking B12 supplements herself but her GP said it was a waste of time.  My GP originally never mentioned 'levels' but if you ask they should have no problem telling you.

2 Posts

Chriso  ·  15 Apr 2009

Hi

I got my results back from the doctor and all she advised was that my B12 levels were low, she did not advise how low? Also she has put me on tablets, if these are no use can I insist on the injections? Have been taking the tablets but not really seeing any results.

14 Posts

Sas  ·  15 Apr 2009

Its actually something that your stomach produces (intrinsic factor) that allows you to absorb B12, or in my case my stomach doesn't produce. Tablets or food rich in B12 doesn't help because it still wont be absorbed so hats why you need the injections.  Vegans often need B12 because you dont get it all from vegetables, its found in eggs, dairy products, meat and fish, but other than that its unlikely to be diet related.  My sister is also on the injections, it can be heredatory.

2 Posts

miamc  ·  14 Apr 2009

Thanks Sas.

My GP has put it down to me not eaten veg or meat.But mam and sister have also been getting injections and they eat veg and meat perfectly balanced diets.

14 Posts

Sas  ·  14 Apr 2009

My GP says the normal range is 180 to 800. There is someone here who says it should be over 400.  83 is definitely too low. You should talk to your doctor about getting regular injections, I get them every 3 months or so, or whenever I feel that I'm getting low myself. I think at my last blood test it was around 400 and I feel great but after about 2 months I start feeling tired etc again.

2 Posts

miamc  ·  10 Apr 2009

Hi

I am 23 I got B12 injections for 6 months and my levels dropped again so I'd another 3 months course.... Again my levels have dropped again. I'm now on the tablets..Can someone please tell me what the levels should be..mine is 83.....I am constanstly tired.... What are the problems which may arise from low levels of B12

30 Posts

hiratio  ·  27 Jan 2009

Hi Frann.

Have you ever been tested for glandular fever ? The reason i'm asking is I had these symptoms as a child before my teenage years, although my heart didn't get to that stage. my 4 year old son has just been diagnosed with glandular fever, the blood tests came back positive. i asked the GP how to best get a 4 Y.O to rest :) it's quite hard....i was informed that if he didn't get his rest and a proper diet the glandular fever could cause other severe complications such as the heart enlarging and other organ failure. we have to keep a close eye on him as his tonsils swell up and nearly closes off his airways....very scary stuff of a night time let me tell you. he was born with what paeditricians call apnoea and he hasn't grown out of it like his peadatrician has said he would. my son's GP seems to think it may well have been his tonsils causing this all the time.

I've been on reflux/heartburn medication most of my life and this has never been discussed with me by my GP interfering with B12 levels(thanks for for the info i will be making sure i discuss this with him on my next visit and also make mention of it to my cardiologist as well)..currently mine are all ok. they cannot find any medical reason as to whats causing my reflux. i think my GP has plans in the future as it was well over 20 years ago since they had a look see in my gullet,etc,etc

sorry for the rambling... glandular fever can do what you have described mood wise and organs....:) son is crabby enough ...

1 Posts

Frann  ·  26 Jan 2009

Hi -- I went to my primary care physician after experiencing pain in my heels and back of legs. I found out my B12 level was 196 and that I also had a partially enlarged heart at 42 years of age. I was tired constantly, crabby, rapid heartbeat, etc. I've just received my second shot of B12 and I feel like a totally different human being. The enlarged heart is now starting to reverse, my energy level is through the roof and my mental state hasn't been this good for a long, long time. I'm amazed. He believes the reason may be because I've been on medications for heartburn for a long time, which prevents absorbtion of the vitamin. However, I do remember feeling these symptoms since I was in my teens, and since this test isn't "mandatory" this deficiency was never discovered. I'm still set for a series of six more shots and can't wait for the results. PLEASE check this level as often as you can. IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. It did for me!

5 Posts

B12 textbert  ·  23 Dec 2008

I haven't looked at this discussion group for some time. 

None of you should have b12 levels of less than 500.  The levels set by the labs are not those for optimal biological function, but rather are set above a level at which pernicious anaemia starts to set in.  Pernicious anaemia is, for some people, the final stage of this disease. 

In my post below 22/04/2008 I have detailed some sites you may like to look at.  At first it looks daunting to read, but with a little perseverance you will get your head around the jargon. GP's spend a half-day on this area.   If you read this you will know far more than the average GP

In a deficiency state your body will prioritise the use of the b12 resource that it has.  B12 is stored primarily in the liver.  Normally between 2 and 5 years supply exists there.  So if you are deficient this is something that has been coming on for years and your liver reserves are exhausted.   B12 is used by the nervous system and is essential for cell replication.  In a deficiency state cells may not replicate properly.  Cells, which need to be replaced daily like those of the mouth/digestive system normally suffer the most: causing diarrhoea and/or a painful sore mouth with some sufferers.    The body will use the initial doses of b12 very quickly as the body begins to repair the damage done because of the deficiency.  And remember just because it’s in the blood it doesn’t mean it’s got into the cells.  That may take a long time.  Other symptoms are baldness, premature greying hair, pins and needles and numbness, memory loss and fuzzy brain/brain fog and of course feeling tired all the time.

My family have been on b12 injections for years.  I should be surprised if my level is not over 2000.  That's very reassuring to me.

Take my advice.  Print the details from these websites and forward it to your GP or take it with you.

If in doubt have the shots.  They are harmless and can only do you good.  As an aside they gave mice repeated doses of b12 of 200,000 times the daily requirement with no adverse reactions.  Don’t take that much though.  Get your levels over 500ng and don't let them fall below it. EVER

14 Posts

Sas  ·  18 Dec 2008

Unless you are a vegan, your lack of B12 is probably not due to your diet. The injections will help. I get pains in my legs and arms/hands when my B12 levels are low. My Dad is also on B12 injections (he's had a total gastrectomy so thats why he needs it), he used to suffer a lot from burning sensations in his legs at night but it has eased up a bit now. Never connected it with low B12 levels, but now that you mention it, there could be a connection.

2 Posts

Chriso  ·  18 Dec 2008

Hi

I have just had blood tests and been advised by my doctor that my B12 is low and she is requesting further tests, I originally went to the doctor because my feet and legs would burn up at night. Did anybody else experience this and does it stop once you start receiving injections. My diet is not very good, is there any paticular food that I should be eating or not eating? I am also very tired all the time and no matter how much sleep I have I could do with some more, hoping this will also change once the injections start.

14 Posts

Sas  ·  21 Nov 2008

As far as I remember I was told the normal levels were between 180 to 800.

Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation