ADVERTISEMENT
157,967 registered users

| |
(Thursday, 23rd Oct, 2014)

The E111 form for holidays - what is it?

38 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

1 Posts

ang1  ·  10 Jun 2009

Can download an E111 Form. If so what is the site as i have been trying to do it now for the past half hour? Please help

Anonymous  ·  18 Jul 2007
To renew your EHI Card apply to your Regional Health Board or you can do it on line by logging on to their web site.

3 Posts

oldpad  ·  17 Jul 2007
My EHI Card expires in September please what is my next course of action i.e how do I get it renewed.

Anonymous  ·  25 Jan 2007
Joe is correct. The European Health Insurance Card is just like a Credit Card / A.T.M. Card & can be affixed inside your Passport with Double Sided Tape so you always know where it is. Important Point it expires after 2 YEARS, If you already have one, check the expiry date. ( mine expired LAST MAY, silly me )

2 Posts

Joe (NXB13939)  ·  01 Apr 2005
I would like to point that the E111 form no longer exists - it has been replaced by the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)

Anonymous  ·  10 Dec 2004
If in Europe can you use the E111 to see GP if you get sick while there or is it only valid for public accident and emercency?

122 Posts

pauline (lavender)  ·  16 Apr 2004
Be careful where you obtain your medical treatment, especially in Spain /spanish Islands. The E111 might not be accepted in local small medical treatment centres. We wern't covered by it and it was costly!

1 Posts

Paul (elmalo)  ·  13 Aug 2003
I wish to know if I am treated in an EU country whether my personal travel insurance takes precedence over the E111 or if it is the E111 scheme that should pay he bills rather than the insurance I have paid a premium for?

3 Posts

Theresa (bordeaux)  ·  11 Jul 2003
There is such a variance in the amount of time E111's are issued for. Each Health Board region seems to put their own interpretation on the time limit they allow. I work for one Board and can only issue forms for 11 months. A different H.B. 10 miles from us only issue them for 3 months at a time and another one in a neighbouring county have issued some for 4 years. What authority can I contact to clarify the correct time limits and find out more details on the progress of the card system to alleviate unnecessary repetition (for the public and the Health Boards)

3 Posts

Martin (martinhennessy)  ·  11 Jun 2003
E111 is important but if you've got Vhi Cover, you also get uo to €100k worth of inpatient medical cover per person on the policy.

1 Posts

Ashraf (ashmar)  ·  24 Apr 2003
Is E111 form a prerequisite for health coverage of retired Irish citizens living in Spain ?

15 Posts

Mike (mjoneill)  ·  11 Apr 2002
Good news to hear that the EC is planning to introduce an E111-card for use in any country where E111 is valid.Meantime I repeat previous advice re absolute necessity of holding good travel insurance policy for overseas travel.E111 does NOT cover air or road ambulance transfer to Ireland,any hotel expenses or flight costs incurred by patient or family so be safe,be sensible,take out adequate cover which includes a 24hrs Emergency Service......... Mike

1 Posts

brian (brianlaffey)  ·  10 Apr 2002
I agree about the coments for the E111 being available on line, as all information given can be kept on record.

1 Posts

Oisin (oisink)  ·  05 Jan 2002
Article says that Finland is not an EU member state, it is.
Norway is not.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Thanks for pointing out the error. It will be updated shortly.

Anonymous  ·  04 Dec 2001
Going abroad for Christmas? If visiting an EC country dont forget to take your E111 and whether to EC or elsewhere take a good Private Travel Insurance policy too.

Happy Holidays!

19 Posts

Povl (Kronen)  ·  19 Sep 2001
We all have our Social Service No. RSI or whatever name they give it, and have been issued with a nice little Plastic Card. I think it would be an idea to include the E111 function into this card. It would make it easier for all of us, and cut down on some of the bureaucracy. Alternatively why not just let us show our EU Passport, to prove we are EU citizens, should we be in need of medical service when abroad.

2 Posts

Liam (LiamTreacy)  ·  07 Aug 2001
As usual the health boards make this a bureaucratic problem. You must GO to the office to collect the form necessitating a few hours in my case and they won't issue a blanket E111 to cover an extended period and for seperate periods. Why does this make sense in the age of email etc.

Anonymous  ·  03 Aug 2001
More than 22 percent of Irish holidaymakers risk financial ruin this Summer by opting to travel abroad without the benefit of Medical Expenses insurance whilst the majority of those travelling to EC destinations do not even take form E111.

Do NOT risk your health and your wealth. Already this year we have read of Irish clients faced with costs such as USD 900,000 following a Road Traffic accident;IR£35,OOO for medical expenses and air ambulance from Spain and IR£120,OOO following RTA in Hong Kong.

Look at minimum £IR500,000 medical expenses(Europe);IR£3,000,000 for USA together with no limit Air Ambulance cover PLUS 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Emergency Assistance Helpline.

Travelling to EC? Take E111 as well as travel cover. Do NOT believe that cover through credit cards is sufficient. Most cards only cover Travel ACCIDENT benefits due to such as loss of limb etc, no medical expenses;these are sometimes covered through Gold & Platinum schemes though.

Enjoy your holidays but dont take unnecessary risks. Accidents don't always happen just to others.......

Be warned! Be sensible! Be safe!

15 Posts

Mike (mjoneill)  ·  28 Jun 2001
I entirely agree.At present it is a bureaucratic nightmare especially when one realises that there are "dozens" of E-??? forms for different reasons. Here in UK where I am currently based it is possible to have an E111 issued for periods longer than 1 year. You can obtain these at any Main Post Office and do not need to go to a Health Authority/ But "smart card" is the way forward.......but then think of all those EC bureaucrats throughout Europe who have no longer any forms to fill or "books of rules" to write ...!!

Anonymous  ·  27 Jun 2001
I endorse all that's been said about taking the E111 Form on trips to other EU countries, as well as having travel insurance. I wonder though why the form is valid only for one year (or indeed why it's needed at all for holders of EU passports). It seems an unnecessary burden on EU citizens and the Health Authorities to have to get one each year.

I went along to a Health Authority office thinking I might be able to extend the validity of my E111. Couldn't be done. The official had to give me a new one. All she entered on it was my PPS No. No record was taken of that, nor of my name or anything else. I wonder at the purpose of it all.

Perhaps we should be campaigning for multiannual validity or better still a "smart card" that would have no expiry date. Think of the trees that could be saved!

Anonymous  ·  18 Jun 2001
Great to be able to download the E111, now its only a quick trip to the Health Board office to get it stamped!! Wish that was online too!

15 Posts

Mike (mjoneill)  ·  13 Jun 2001
re KEVOBR's further Finnish E-form query.Yes this is norm for EC bureaucracy. Dozens of E-forms which hopelessly confuse the public. Each one has very specific use depending on one's status. The Irish Embassy in Helsinki should be able to categorically say which is the right one for YOUR personal circumstances; if they do not have the form to hand they certainly have the "lines to Dublin" to be able to have them electronically sent over. Another avenue to explore if you prefer is get a family member in Ireland to approach the Area Health Board for advice.Depending on which part of Ireland you come from you can find the addresses,websites etc on
http://www.doh.ie/contact/health_boards.html
My "best advice" remains take some private health cover to supplement anything "free" under E-forms. After all if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident you might want to be flown home which no e-form would cover....... Mike
//

3 Posts

Les (lcuttriss)  ·  12 Jun 2001
Thank you for the helpfull advice on the E111 form Les

3 Posts

kevobr  ·  12 Jun 2001
Thanks for the info. Did some surfing and have come across a whole new range of E's. Apparently I should also get an E106 ! What is this and why is it better than an E112 or an E128 ? It seems to be getting more confusing the more I look ! Wish I had done all this BEFORE I came to Finland !

15 Posts

Mike (mjoneill)  ·  11 Jun 2001
E111 is mainly for tourists and short term stay in an EC country (or one of those associate members of EC). E112 is basically for longer stays,especially extended work reasons. Similar to E111. Obtainable from any Finnish Health Service office.
But like E111, the E112 has "limited" cover. Your best bet is take out a health insurance plan which covers private treatment without a wait or a good local Finnish plan.

Good Luck
Mike

3 Posts

kevobr  ·  08 Jun 2001
I came to Finland to study after finishing my PhD and was given student status which expires in August. I no longer have this status in Ireland. After that I will be a foreign researcher funded by the Govt of Finland and hopefully EU funding for 12 months(from November 2001). I have an E111, but do I now need an E128 as well ? I thought to take out personal insurance here as well,as an extra precaution. My resdidence time in Finland will extend to over 12 months from initially arriving. I wish to have a minor operation done here, I have been on a waiting list for over 2 years in Ireland for same (not life-threatening-fibrolipoma removal)and the Finnish health authorities have requested an E112 form?? Can someone tell me what this is and what I have to do next ?

Anonymous  ·  30 May 2001
For Tunisia, 'private' travel insurance is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL available from sources such as (but NOT limited to) AIB,ACE,EUROP ASSISTANCE IRELAND,GENERALI DUBLIN etc etc. Before you decide,ensure the one you choose has 24hrs emergency service both from an Irish & Tunisian office as Tunisian hospitals are often reluctant to invoice "out of country" (No reciprocal agreement covering medical expenses exists between Tunisia and Ireland and E111 only applies to EC countries).

Anonymous  ·  30 May 2001
Is there a form to complete for travel to Tunisia, or is it just private insurance.

Anonymous  ·  24 Apr 2001
The article says that "Irish citizens" are covered. But does that mean, for example, that an Irish Citizen living in the US is covered? Should it really say "resident Irish citizens" or are all citizens covered?

15 Posts

Mike (mjoneill)  ·  21 Apr 2001
I entirely agree.The Government should do much more to promote E111 with TV/Radio/Newspaper ads;many good Travel agents do have literature available but alas very many travel agency staff are unaware of its existence; there is a need for a much greater educational programme via Tour Operators,Ferry Companies,Banks,Travellers cheques bureaux and airlines.

In fairness most do mention it somewhere but usually in such small print that it goes unnoticed.
But as a taxpayer remember you are AUTOMATICALLY entitled to one subject only to one or two very minor conditions.

It is freely available from Local Health Boards and most main Post Offices.

Another reason of course why it does not get as much prominence as it deserves in the travel industry is that it could be seen to conflict with their promotion of travel insurance and for many agents COMMISSION from sale of travel insurance is a bigger earner than selling the holiday or tickets!

Look upon the E111 as being complementary to rather than replacing Travel Insurance. See earlier posts!

Anonymous  ·  20 Apr 2001
I've been travelling abroad for the past 30 years, and I've only now discovered the E111! Holiday brochures and travel agents should point out the merits of having one.

4 Posts

ann (mamkelly)  ·  17 Apr 2001
I hope you can reproduce the e111 on the web site as it would make a little easier!

Anonymous  ·  09 Apr 2001
Your query re. getting the E111 form online via irishhealth.com is an interesting one - we will check it out and post our findings into this Discussion Channel.

Regards from the Admin team at irishhealth.com

Anonymous  ·  28 Mar 2001
As thousands of Irish holidaymakers & sportsfans prepare to descend upon Europe over Easter & the Summer, my advice is DO take an E111 but do NOT think if you have got one you do not need medical expenses/travel insurance.
Even if you speak the language of the country fluently you may not necessarily be in a condition to say "take me to a clinic where an E111 is accepted" AND in most of the tourist resorts/main cities in say Spain & the Balearics,"tourists" are almost always referred to a private clinic where form E111 is NOT accepted.

A useful "extra" to have but do NOT forget it "only" entitles you to treatment to the same levels as local citizens and if you were unfortunate enough to need say an air ambulance from a Greek Island to Cork or Dublin an E111 will NOT apply and your "next of kin" will need to pay something like IR£18,000 upfront.

As Irish Embassies & Consulates around Europe will tell you far too many tourists have paid a heavy price for their mistaken belief that if one has an E111 that is more than enough.It is not.

1 Posts

Ruth (Ruthy)  ·  28 Mar 2001
I agree with Mike above, it would be great if we could get the E111 form from this website.

Thanks Ruth

15 Posts

Mike (mjoneill)  ·  20 Mar 2001
Could the application form for E111 be included on the website? It would be useful.

15 Posts

Mike (mjoneill)  ·  20 Mar 2001
The E111 is 'useful' but remember it does not cover repatriation following accident/illness;nor air ambulance nor extra costs so always take out private travel insurance!Even for Europe!

Anonymous  ·  16 Mar 2001
If anything happens to you or a member of your family while on holidays you will be dealt with ASAP once you have the E111 so make sure to have it.

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation