Do you think the smoking ban in pubs should be overturned?

2701 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

11 Posts

cinderella777  ·  28 Apr 2016

Well, do you know what? I found when I was smoking that I had a lot more energy. Now that I am off them I haven't as much energy at all. I've had three years to take note of this difference so I know what I am talking about. 

The other thing I have noticed is that cancer rates seem to be even higher now amongst the population or else we have just had a huge spate of this disease around our locality. I don't honestly think that the smoking anywhere for that matter did any real harm afterwards. 

1 Posts

Mary   ·  26 Apr 2016

No, I don't think that the smoking ban should be overturned.  We would be going backwards.

1 Posts

Natalie Kemp424  ·  08 May 2015

As someone that smokes when I'm drinking I still don't believe the smoking ban should be overturned, I think the aroma in pubs smells better now than when you could smoke in pubs, you can smell food, perfume etc. Everyone deserves a choice on whether they want to breathe in smoke or not, I worked in pubs when you could smoke and cleaning up cigarette butts and ashtrays was disgusting you'd find them in empty glasses and on the floor it used to irritate me, you don't do this at home so why would you do it in a pub?

1 Posts

Josephine Akinola373  ·  01 May 2015

Yes, I believe that the smoking ban in pubs should not be overturned, most people nowadays like cigarettes too much, more so than any other things and everybody knows that cigarettes can cause damage to the body.

Smoking

8 Posts

Micksor  ·  26 Apr 2015

No i do not , it's a waste of time going back over the harm passive smokin does . In pubs ( Etc ) . Do people realize the damage they are doing to chrildren ( Babys ) while smoking in their houses , cars or anywere Children are concerned . As a Barman for 20 years ( Non-Smoker ) Passive Smoke & Cleaning Stinking Ashtrays has taken it's effect on my Breathing. My GP advised me to stop Smoking , Oh Well . 

Time Will Tell

2 Posts

Mary Carmel  ·  25 Mar 2015

I think no way should the smoking ban in pubs should be overturned.

The non smokers have a right to be in a non smoking environment and not have to breathe in second hand smoke, which is just as harmful as if they were smoking and have health problems due to others if this was the case.

1 Posts

Mike Rago334  ·  16 Aug 2014

As far as I can tell with all the these people pushing for a smoking ban everywhere to protect their health, I guess they're all going to die healthy.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  22 Oct 2012

James H, Just thought I'd let you know that my daughter's 21st is on this Saturday and it's a fancy dress. Guess what I am dressing up as? A cigarette!! Do you want to come down and have an old puff off me??

I believe in all that is seen and unseen.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  10 Oct 2012

Ex- Pat, Thank you so much for your support (even if you don't mean it, I've already said this to Ann simply because I don't trust anyone anymore so please don't take it as an insult) and I hope that you will continue to give your support in the future.

Jamie, Thanks for pointing out that I am selfish and I only think of myself. That was a compliment to me as a human being and I enjoy when parts of myself are shown to me. And of course, I hope that you are able to recognise your own selfishness as well of course when you decided that there couldn't even be a compromise where the smoking ban is concerned. A room away from you just couldn't be enough. It had to be all or nothing and yet you cannot seem to see your selfishness here at all. So what is it then? Is this the way you rear your own kids? When you make a rule it has to be your way or nothing at all. Isn't the child going to have any say at all in your decisions? I have had many teenagers down through the years in my business who have been absolutely terrified of their parents and who turn to outside help in dealing with their problems. Every decision we make in life is guaranteed to be in another area otherwise we wouldn't know how to make decisions properly in the first place.

I don't know why you brought up Bonny's post and say that I ignored it. Sure, you have ignored many of my posts and come on only to either side with James H or watch for an insult I have made. Where were all your answers to my other posts? If you had noticed I have brought up many different smokers views on this subject simply because I am among those people on a daily basis and I have a very good knowledge of their fears and feelings around this particular issue so instead of using you, you, you, in future, please use ye, ye, ye.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  10 Oct 2012

You're completely right James H. I certainly will pull back on that one. So sorry Jamie. What I should have said really was that we could all be dead and gone. I'll have to watch my incoherent rants (James H could be right on that one all the same) in future. Please don't take that comment seriously - it was only meant to be funny but having looked at it - I can easily see how it could be taken out of context. Of course I hope that we will all be here in 10 or 15 years time - although it could take that amount of time for us to become real close friends, if ever. Still there's nothing like a good old fight sure there's not James H, Jamie and Wiltofire?

153 Posts

ExPat  ·  10 Oct 2012

Angel,

You are definitely not alone.

658 Posts

Jamie  ·  10 Oct 2012

Angel, I'll sum you up in a few of your quotes. Heres one from post #2666 "James H, you have mentioned several times about my rambling incoherent rants, that I use the poor downtrodden smoker act, you told everyone out there not to take the bait and to not give her the attention she craves. They are all highly insulting remarks James H." But you go on in your last post: "And then in 10-15 years time we'll probably all be flying by then so you'll have some job trying to find us in the sky Jamie and hopefully you'll be dead and gone by then" So it's "highly insulting" to say that you play the downtrodden card, but ok to wish me dead. Yes, my 2 young children won't have a father, but that's ok because I'm one of the vast majority that support the smoking ban. I think that sums up every one of your posts on this thread, absolutely selfishness and no one exists but yourself. Doesn't matter if your habbit bothers other people in public, you're the most important one and they should put up with whatever makes you happy. You're the victim, not them. You you you, you're opressed, you're being treated the same as an outcast because you choose to smoke. "Choose" being the key word there. Notice you also choose to ignore Bonnys post #2672

153 Posts

ExPat  ·  10 Oct 2012

I had a comment on this discussion but my message was rejected. It contained nothing offensive whatsoever, just a pertainent obsevation to the cuurent situation.

It would seem that it is not politically correct to express an opinion contrary to the required one on this site.

Shame.

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  10 Oct 2012

Angel, there is nothing really of substance to respond to in your last message except to ask you to pull back from wishing anyone to be dead in the next 10 to 15 year. I hope we are all well and alive in 10 or 15 years and do not wish anyone any harm or death. I hope that you do the same; wishing death on a debating opponent is a bit too much. Please pull back from that one.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  09 Oct 2012

Isn't it extraordinary how three ani-smokers suddenly appeared out of the blue after James H's comment! And now everybody has left me and I'm on my own again! Still, it looks as though you are all male and I am female. What do they say when some female spiders are finished mating with the males? She usually eats them!

Witofire, it also proves that this smoking ban was so badly thought out when the Health crowd should also have had the common sense that a lot of smokers would stay at home with children around. You should never presume anything. People ignore laws all the time especially when they are unfair ones. Give me one law that you ignore on a consistant level. Or are you so perfect that you do nothing at all wrong?

We already know about your new laws Jamie. I've already mentioned them and sure we can always go into the forests or dig tunnels underground ( of course if we find a mole down there (another term for an anti-smoker) God only knows what will happen! I reckon we'll have to have oxygen masks alright down there so would you mind supplying these for us please? Of course we can also go diving if you supply masks for us there too! And then in 10-15 years time we'll probably all be flying by then so you'll have some job trying to find us in the sky Jamie and hopefully you'll be dead and gone by then! I wonder what you'll come back as though! A smoker? (ah, that's harmless for you and you could live very long in that body!)

Jamie, it's amazing how none of the anti-smokers marched either before any smoking ban came in. Why was that I wonder? After all - you had such a great reason too and now you want us to do the opposite. Why is that? How did you all start out until you reached the point of a smoking ban? Huh? You started to spread the word of how smoking was so bad and you had to do that for 10 long years imagine! And you kept it up until you had a huge army behind you. How do you know smokers aren't playing the same game at the moment?

I too think it would be hilarious if we had a march! I reckon our clothes would have been class, our behavior would have been insane and definatly one of the banners would have read, "This country is going to go up in smoke!", and sure isn't that exactly what has happened??

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  09 Oct 2012

Angel, we have debated the question many times. It is difficult to debate with somebody who proclaims to think that smoking is good for you and disregards 7 decades of scientific research that is supported over the entire medical world that agrees that smoking is bad for you. It is also difficult the debate with somebody who questions the pretty well acknowledged fact that there are approx million smokers in the country. Normally people question if this in fact large enough a figure considering the amount of black market cigarettes smoked, but you seem to be saying that it could be significantly less. It is difficult to debate with somebody, who then cannot accept the blatant fact that the majority of smokers have accepted the reality. This blatant fact is evidenced by pretty much universal compliance, even though a million people could do just about anything in this country that they liked. So really Angel there isn’t anything else to debate, seeing as you have a blind spot when it comes to accepting facts. That is why I have tuned out. You mention a wheel turning, but the reality there is no wheel turning in relation to overturning the ban, the handbrake is on and the key is thrown away on that one I am afraid. Again another fact you seem immune to.

658 Posts

Jamie  ·  09 Oct 2012

I for one would love to see smokers march for their "rights", it would be one of the funniest protests of all time! It would be like companies marching for the right to dump their waste into rivers. No one would take you seriously, not even most smokers! Hopefully st. johns ambulance are there for the march (could you call about 5 people a march??) with oxygen masks at hand LOL! Angel, you think anti-smokers are a dying breed? I've bad news for you, the anti smoking laws are going to get tougher and tougher. Smoking in a car with children next, followed by council property (parks, greens, squares) followed by any outdoor public place. Enjoy the freedom you have now, I reckon in about 10-15 years you won't see a smoker at all unless you are one or live with one.

353 Posts

Witofire  ·  08 Oct 2012

It's heartening to note that Hiller appears to understand that smoking and drinking are bad for children. If that logic could be taken to include adults there would be no need for this forum.

It needs to be pointed out to him that the ban was on smoking in the workplace and not a ban on smoking around children. It was assumed that parents would have enough common sense not to do that.

There is no smoke witofire!

230 Posts

Angel   ·  08 Oct 2012

James H, answer the topic instead of using your usual sly remarks. Maybe people have been quietly watching this subject in the background all along, seen how well I stood up to you and have finally decided to see the real side - which is the humanitarian side. Your last post shows all the signs of defeatism James H. Are you going to go away now again with either your tail between your legs or like a little two year old in a tantrum? And don't try and bring down your site as if it has no meaning. At the top of the page it is claimed that there are 152, 545 memebers. Is this all false as well James H and there really is only one or two of us here afterwards? If so, never underestimate the power of one or two minds. All thought starts with a spark and then the fire builds until eventually it becomes uncontrollable and can't be put out. The wheel is always turning and Hiller ( I thought it was Hitler first!) nicely showed up the politician that brought in the ban. How seriously is he taken now, James H?

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  08 Oct 2012

Nice to see we have smoked out a few extra supporters for Angel and co. Pity they wouldn’t do anything that would actually make a difference instead of sheepishly whinging on a forum like this.

1 Posts

Hiller  ·  08 Oct 2012

There is something else in this that is missed - the unintended consequences of this ban. What it has achieved is to drive people back into their homes to smoke and drink. Apart from the example to small children there is also the effects of passive smoking on them - forgive me but was'nt that the reason this was introduced in the first place and are'nt they more likely to be effected

As well as that it is apparent to these young ones that drink is a normal pasttime and what about that example. If you believe all the propaganda about the effects and cost of drink then surely this is not the right message to send to young children. Bear in mind that the politician who brought in the smoking ban is the same politician who dropped the ban on below cost selling of alcohol - some consistency of logic there. Fool me - why would you expect either consistency or logic from politicians.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  06 Oct 2012

Dear Ann, Thank you so much for your support for smokers (even if you didn't mean it, sorry I am now at the stage where I trust nobody) and for other insights you have shown me in your post. Because we are the very first country in the world to introduce a ban like this we smokers here in Ireland surely have also the knowledge and understanding that comes with it because after all we are the guinea pigs. James H isnt a smoker, always hated smoke and still sits behind his desk in exactly the same way as he always did. James H listens and study's scientific reasearch all the time, from people just like him who don't smoke either but base their observations only on what they see straight in front of their eyes. That is evidence. But it is only evidence that they can see like damaged lungs ect. James H also sees smokers happily puffing away outside doors looking as if they don't mind one bit what-so-ever that which has been done to them. He sees this because not only is James H asleep but (I am so sorry to admit this) but many smokers are also asleep. The big question then is "Why are people so asleep?" For those who are awake - the question is easily answered. People are asleep for only two reasons. They are either afraid or they are used to being treated a certain way either consiously or unconsiously and just don't realise it. One of Jesus's greatest statements was "Forgive them Lord for they know not what they do." James H is under the impression that smokers haven't a clue what they are doing, feels sympathy at times for their addiction but feels an unrelentless power inside himself to free the world from what he perceives as one of the greatest scurges mankind has ever produced. And do you know what, James H. In some ways I admire you. I really do. However there is still a long way to go James H. It may not even be achievable for you in this lifetime and I too must also accept that during this lifetime anyway - I could be stuck forever outside doorways in the cold and the dark, the sunshine and the heat, the wind and the rain, the snow and the ice and whatever else the weather decides to do. At least though I am awake - I'd hate to be out there asleep... and I do love when there is a clear sky and a full moon. It feels like the moon is smiling down on all us smokers and maybe that is why we laugh so much outside the doors. ( I better shut up before my imagination runs away with me and James H comes on acusing me of his famous coherent rant crack! Innocent

147 Posts

ann  ·  05 Oct 2012

Wake up James H and try and see the bigger picture as regards a million smokers making an impact on govt to overturn the ban.

When the pensioners took to the streets they didnt have the threat of a 3000euro fine hanging over them or their businesses being closed down, or like the way the smoke police constantly harrassed publicans to make this fine stick, or fanatics such as yourself chastising them.  And AT THAT TIME pensioners had the backing of the general public, whereas smokers had at best 50/50 backing and most people didnt care one way or the other. 

For example, how come more than 4 million people in Ireland, most of whom disagree with the punitive measures of austerity and expensive regulations being imposed by our self imposed troika masters, also have no impact on our country nosediving into pauperism and emigration.

The fact is that the Irish people are manipulated to be at each others throats in the hope that others will take the brunt of punitive measures. In short, people agree with the reforms once it doesent apply to themselves.

So I hope you can understand how 1 million smokers, many of whom now occupied with survival problems, are unable to make an impact on our puppet Govt, who are led by the Troike and swayed by the vested interests in this country ie pharmaceutical companys, health and safety, fake charities funded by the taxpayer etc, who just enforce their bidding.

I just cannot understand how all you anti smokers are so fanatical in keeping smokers repressed and wiped from sight, it smacks to me of the classroom bully who trive on tormenting the perceived slow witted to bolster their own self esteem.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  04 Oct 2012

James H, I notice that you revert to this same argument when you feel you are getting no-where. I reckon you have written the exact same post several times but for now we will have another look at what you wrote.

First of all it is nice to see that you have come up with a fine big figure for the amount of smokers in this country. I couldn't come up with that figure simply because I haven't a clue and of course I reckon it is now impossible to get an exact figure because of the amount of illegal cigarettes flooding our markets. You also say that it hasn't been an issue in the previous elections. How do you know this? Because I can only talk personally for myself - I certainly have brought up the issue on every occasion but of course they don't call as often as they used to and my issue isn't important enough to them so basically I am being ignored as of course many other people's issues are as well.

Fear is what kept us all from doing nothing James H. Years and years of being told how our habit was so bad, how we were affecting everyone else, made to feel guilty and ashamed of what we were doing. If you had a habit that was being hammered as much as the smokers were - you too would be very slow to defend yourself. It would be great if we could all stand up and defend ourselves from so many things James H, but the simple fact is that we haven't enough courage and I am not afraid to admit this. It is not so long ago when unmarried mothers were looked down on and literally cast out of society for becoming pregnant before marriage. I was one of those James H, and had to go into hiding and was forced to give my son up for adoption. And many women were put into all those institutions (many never coming out from them) because society was ashamed of them. That feeling for me anyway is inside in this smoking ban. The big difference of course is that there is no baby involved but it still makes me feel ashamed because I am a smoker and many people also feel like this.

Your pensioner comparison is useless James H. People want to look after pensioners and they can feel that support behind them and they haven't been subjected to discrimination either like smokers have. So pick a better one the next time.

Thankfully James H, we are flouting the law albeit in a sneaky fashion when you're not looking! It has helped us a lot in coping with this smoking ban. We just avoid the few die-hard anti-smokers like yourself who are also a dying breed thank God.

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  04 Oct 2012

Angel, I do not feel that the majority of the million smokers have let the topic die. It is a fact that they have let it die. It is at this point a non-issue apart from a few diehards like yourself on forums like this. The evidence for this that there have been 3 general elections since the smoking ban and not once in those 3 elections has it become an issue. The fact Angel is that if a million people truly cared as much as you do, a million people all saying the same thing could easily make it the number one election issue and whichever party gave you what you wanted (ie over turn the ban) would be swept to power on the back of a million votes. You greatly underestimate the power that you have. Just look at the pensioners and the u-turns that they have got from the government and they do not amount to anywhere near a million. So again please do not disrespect the democratic decision that your fellow smokers have made and please let the issue die as they have. In fact if a million people decided to flout the law, there is very nothing that anybody could do about it. So yes this fact alone demonstrates that by in large the million smokers have let the issue die.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  03 Oct 2012

James H, the last thing I am doing is disrespecting the smokers that you feel have let this topic die. I don't understand where you are getting that from. You say everyone has moved on yet it is only this year that smokers are now being banned from beaches and parks and are not allowed to smoke in cars with children. So, where's the moving on James H? It's just a constant barage of negativity and terrorisation of smokers! And what do you want us smokers to do if you think we could bring down the governemt? Flout the law and continue to smoke? March on Dail Eireann? Stub our cigarettes out on anti-smokers hands? What, James H?

And you think smokers have moved on? Yes, they have moved on further and further into their own homes! There was a survey done recently and a big percentage of people have said that their home is more entertaining than going out. You can be sure that many of these people that have said this are smokers. People can take revenge in all sorts of ways James H. You don't have to make a hullabulloo about everything and in our case the government put on the phenomenal extra pressure of fining smokers and publicans 3000 euros if they defied the ban. So people find their own ways of fighting back then James H. One great way of course is to hit the governments pockets. I had a customer in last week who was disgusted that he had to pay the 9 euros for his packet of cigarettes. " I have to buy them because my usual fellow is on holidays at the moment and it kills me to have to pay this price." Two months ago I met a woman who I used to have a great time with in the bar and I said to her that I didn't see her for ages. "I know it's awful that I haven't been out she says but what good is it when I can't smoke and if I go outside the door people will think I am touting for business". It's awful to lose people that you had such great fun with James H especially when there should be no need what-so-ever. Of course this ban has also contributed to much greater alcohol problems as more and more people drink at home, alcohol poisoning, uncontrolled and unsupervised drinking, anti-social behavior and even death.

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  02 Oct 2012

Angel, Are you ever going to accept that the million smokers in Ireland are an extremely powerful group that could if they wished make an issue of anything and make or break any Government. However, it is clear that the majority of your fellow smokers have accepted logic and have moved on from this debate and have not made it an issue in any of the last three general elections. A handful of whingers on a forum like this does not negate the reality on the ground that smokers in general have moved on and are getting on with it. Please do not disrespect the power of your million fellow smokers and please accept their democratic decision to let it lie.

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  02 Oct 2012

Angel to summarize your very long msg 2670, you are saying that we all make choices. This is exactly what I was saying in my msg 2669. However, in your msg 2667 you were moaning that you couldn't afford to go out for meals as they were too dear. I merely pointed out that you could choose to go out for a meal every week if you chose to spend the 3 grand a year on meals instead of smoking. So it is you who have made that choice, so don't be coming on with the poor downtrodden smoker act who cannot afford to go out for a meal. Thankfully in your msg 2670 you are accepting that you have the responsibility of making that choice.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  02 Oct 2012

On the question of the price of cigarettes James H I must admit that 9 euros is a phenomenal figure for a packet of cigarettes! That price has sent many smokers reeling including myself. I smoke 1 and a half packs a day myself - sometimes under and sometimes over. Yet, so far this year all I have bought in Ireland is three cartons of 200. `What I do is I ask as many people as I can to get them for me when they are abroad and they have no problem bringing them back for me. All my cigarettes come from the airports. I am on top of the world when people are going to Lanzorote because they are only 20 euros a carton but all the other coutries aren't too bad at 40, 45 or 50 a carton whereas it is about 85 euros a carton here.Your figure of 3,000 a year for a pack of cigarettes a day is not true for a lot of people now James - it's about half that. And of course that money is also gone out of the country and the Irish goverment doesn't get a penny. We're not far away from the government eventually getting no money at all from cigarettes but they will still have to find the 7.80 that they are supposedly creaming off the smoker. I was asked about IQ on another topic here yet this government can't see what is in front of their faces!

No one has any clue how many smokers are out there now James H. You cannot go on sales anymore in Ireland anyway and while I myself as a publican isn't selling as many cigarettes as I used to (not that I make any profit from them anyway) I know without a shadow of a doubt that there are far more people smoking now in this country than there ever was before. This is as a result of some people thinking that they know it all when in fact they know absolutly nothing afterwards.

165 Posts

bonny  ·  01 Oct 2012

Angel!!!! what a fool you are, but you know I was once like you, but if you can scroll back to my letter on 14/7 and you will see why I feel I was once like you,but thank God Im out better side, off cigs now 6 months, and feeling great.

you really cant believe that cigs are harmless if you do your a bigger fool than I thought.

words of advice Angel try get off them they are very harmful and will damage your health. best wishes

658 Posts

Jamie  ·  01 Oct 2012

Ah, another smoking pub owner that reckons smoking does no harm. That explains a lot. I think pub owners are now ahead of taxi drivers as people who make up their own evidence to come to their own favourable conclusion.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  01 Oct 2012

Well James H, before I fall into the trap you are trying to make for me first of all let me say that we all spend our money on our preferences and our necessessities (did I spell that right?) every week. What is important for you may not be important for me. Everything I buy will probably be very different than what you buy with some items overlapping alright like similar foods in particular. Of course a product that a person is using every day or every week is very affected about the price of it and has to make necessary changes in their budgets if they want to keep using that product. I have made many changes myself down through the years in order to feed my habit. ( I have to use those words because they are the only ones you seem to understand at the moment James H). In one way these changes have been good and I have discovered a lot of free ways of doing something that I used to pay for before. A simple example is the newspaper. Myself and my mother used to buy a certain paper every day instead of making the obvious change of just borrowing it off her when she was finished with it. I used to spend an awful lot on music before and books but now the internet is cheaper to run and my daughter downloads all my music for free. I have made unbelievable savings here. I have replaced the minerals I used to have in my pub with glasses of water which are probably better for me anyway. Putting up the price of cigarettes ALWAYS means that another business loses out and that is a real fact James H. Surely even you can see that. There are many more savings I have made but if I keep going on you will say that I am going into  an incoherent rant so I better stop! 

Where meals are concerned I am not a great lover of dining anyway but of course it is made all the worse now since I can't even have one cigarette with my cup of coffee at the end of it! I have become a very good cook myself and my husband is great too and there is nothing better than to have it in peace at home where I can have my cigarette without worrying about going outside doors or have people even glaring at me. No wonder people are so heavy anyway. Look at the huge portions they serve up to you and think nothing about charging you about 70 or 80 euros for a couple! I can make similar meals at home for a fraction of that cost. Cigarettes are brilliant for keeping the weight down. To me they are a type of food and thankfully I have no weight problem. I have plenty of energy and I can sit down and relax and think about life whilst having a puff. When I put on weight one time (over a side-effect from a particular tablet I was on) I had no energy and I found the stairs much harder than usual. When I packed up that tablet the weight flew off without having to make any changes to my diet and now I don't know myself again. Doctors haven't got the answers to everything James H and can make situations far worse for people too at times. 

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  01 Oct 2012

Hi Angel, you say you cannot afford to go out for a meal. Obviously I don't know how much you smoke, but say for example you smoke a pack a day, at €9 per pack that is over 3 grand a year up in smoke. So I would contend that you probably could go out for meals maybe once a week (at €50 per meal) but you choose to smoke instead. Again with the downtrodden act; poor me, I cannot afford a meal out. Again not an insult, merely a statement of fact.

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  01 Oct 2012

Angel, Your reference to so called statistical evidence is what is known as science. I agree it is important to be sceptical, that is why real science is published in peer-reviewed proper scientific journals. So the science has been through the sceptical process and been picked over by experts that know what they are talking about. There is now 7 decades of scientific evidence that has been accepted by the entire medical world which at this stage must be 100s of millions of doctors. All of this evidence shows that smoking is bad for you. So this is not a case of a few gullible people believing anything that they hear. Your message of 2657 was a rambling incoherent rant. That is not an insult it is just a statement of fact. In your message 2657 you did put on the downtrodden act that the big powerful health lobby were too scary for you and yet you persistently refuse to acknowledge that a million smokers in Ireland could just about do anything they wanted, including make or break any Government. So again not an insult; just a statement of fact. By coming on here and saying that smoking is good for you, clearly is trying to be controversial and the sole function of being deliberately controversial is to grab attention for your issue, so again fail to see the insult there. Again it is just a statement of fact.

230 Posts

Angel   ·  01 Oct 2012

Dear Wiltofire, I don't go out for meals. They're too dear! On the very rare occasion that I used to go out before though the smoking area was usually away from you so I wasn't blowing smoke in your face. But of course I wasn't far enough away. Am I far enough away now outside the door for you or is it only a matter of time before you say that the smoke is sneaking under the door and affecting you or if they're is one of those (what do you call them?) doggy door stops (you know those long cloth things to stop draughts coming in!) put in place to block it coming in - you'll say that it is coming in through the keyhole then! There are some anti-smokers coming into my pub at the moment and sometimes I wish they would look through the key-hole so that I could stub out the cigerette in their eye! How I would love to do that! 

So the next time you are out for a meal Wiltfire don't look at the keyholes in the doors otherwise you will turn into a pillar of salt and end up on the table! Oh, and another thing you should also remember about keyholes is that before any smoking ban came in we should have been wiser and locked the doors when we saw ye coming! Instead we welcomed ye into our homes and businesses and ye repay our hospitality by kicking us outside the doors! 

230 Posts

Angel   ·  29 Sep 2012

James, no I have no links that says passive smoking being good for you. I didn't even look for them. All I have is my own experience but I reckon many other publicans would agree with me. If you notice when employing someone - nearly every employer looks for experience anyway so I reckon I am extremely capable and knowledgeable on this subject after being in the trade for over 30 years. However some people seem to prefer to hear so-called statisical evidence (how they acquire it of course is a different matter) and I think it is always healthy to be sceptical at all times here because no-one has any idea of how their own bodies work properly or to the best of it's ability. How can they possibly know anybody else's? There's a lot of information out there that is believed by one person to be the truth but spread out to others to make them believe it too. And the amount of gullible people out there is unreal and very few who will challenge beliefs. While smoking may be bad for some people - it could be great for others.

James H, you have mentioned several times about my  rambling incoherent rants, that I use the poor downtrodden smoker act, you told everyone out there not to take the bait  and to not give her the attention she craves. They are all highly insulting remarks James H. What is it James H? You're not used to someone going completely against you is that it? 

And yes of course you have shoved the smoking area underground. A load of people are staying at home smoking, people are buying their cigarettes in secret (from the black market) we're all outside doors now hiding from those inside, we're not allowed on beaches or parks ect. And when I hear the crack that you are welcome in my home but not your cigarettes I feel like throwing up! You either accept me for who I am or not at all! So now, we are like a herd of cattle huddled together trying to get a bit of heat. How much more underground can you get than that?

353 Posts

Witofire  ·  28 Sep 2012

Angel, by your own admission you take an opposing opinion as an insult. You will be insulted a lot.

One change obvious to me is that you can now have a meal out without the stink of cigarette smoke spoiling it. That's gotta be good.

There is no smoke witofire!

230 Posts

Angel   ·  28 Sep 2012

James H, here you go again. "Honestly your rantings doesn't deserve a reply". If I was your wife we'd be living in stony silence after a while! Would you ever please get rid of that childish rant of yours and be a man and face your adversaries instead of trying to avoid them. You should take a look at some area of your life - because I bet that attitude is there somewhere - whether it be consious or unconsious.

All smokers were down-trodden for 10 years previous to this smoking ban James H. We were constantly bombarded with messages of disapproval. People were crying and whinging about their habit and were looking for a saviour to come in and save them. So Michael Martin decided to bring in a smoking ban when not only were smokers at their weakest (after being bombarded) but saw this ban as saving them. Many of these so-called whingers are still smoking - that is the crazy thing about it! And there was a deep fear amongst practically all of us smokers at the time because we genuinely believed that we were wrong in our habit. How can you fight back with a mindset like this James H? There are now many different thoughts around where the smoking ban is concerned. Everyone I'm sure expected that we'd all be so healthy and we would live to be such great ages all because we were no longer breathing in smoke and protecting others. But... here we all are still. Many of the same people smoking, not feeling any different, everyone dying of the same diseases all the time (if not more!) none of us feeling any different and a huge bewilderment about it all now. So James H, has the smoking ban achieved anything at all afterwards where health is concerned? Nothing - as far as I can see anyway.

1,850 Posts

JamesH  ·  28 Sep 2012

Angel, I do not think I have been insulting at any stage. If you find the facts insulting, that is a different matter and one you must deal with yourself. Do you wnat to point out any specific time I have been insulting and I can either apologise if appropriate or defend myself.

658 Posts

Jamie  ·  28 Sep 2012

Angel, presumably you'll post links to prove your claims that passive smoking is healthy. And your idea that small problems should be ignored because there's bigger ones out there isn't exactly the wisest I've heard.

Write a comment...