| |
(Tuesday, 16th Sep, 2014)

How often do you eat microwave meals?

56 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

353 Posts

Witofire  ·  05 Aug 2008
Organic food and natural food are not one and the same thing. Many who eat so-called organic are not aware of the permitted additives. To get natural food you would almost have to grow it yourself.

There is no smoke witofire!

1,374 Posts

KISSEY  ·  03 Aug 2008
COOKING FOOD IN YOU MICROWAVE, PROBABLY ONCE A WEEK YES IS OK BUT NOT EVERYDAY. NOT ALL FOOD TURNS OUT GREAT.

353 Posts

Witofire  ·  07 May 2008
Anon,

I believe that food cooked by radiated heat in a microwave is cleaner than that cooked by radiant heat in a conventional gas oven because of the residue of burnt gas remaining on the food after cooking. I do however use a gas hob as the gas fumes can be ventilated out of the kitchen and do not get on to the food.

I understand that some people are nervous, even afraid of the radiation used in a microwave and which does not remain on the food while they happily use a mobile phone which subjects them to direct radiation.

Anonymous  ·  06 May 2008
Every Day.

653 Posts

Papa  ·  26 Feb 2008
There's plenty of nice food you can microwave, M&S is full of it. E numbers are tested and approved, if everyone is so afraid of "unnatural" stuff in their food they should eat purely organic food.

1,950 Posts

Anon  ·  22 Feb 2008
Wit of Fire, I use a microwave myself. But it is most definately not a safer or cleaner way of cooking than gas.
Think about it WoF, How do you think food is cooked in a microwave? Why is the center of the food the fastest cooked? Because it is radiated.
Gas does not radiate food, it just cooks using a dry heat.

353 Posts

Witofire  ·  21 Feb 2008
Anon,
What sort of help would you recommend me just because I use a microwave oven to cook wholesome food (not junk food from supermarket shelves). Or is it just that anyone differing from you must be mad? Would you explain to me why food cooked cleanly in a microwave oven is inferior to that cooked in a gas oven where the fumes from the burning gas get into the food over a long period of time. It is revealing that you do not want me to even talk about scientific tests!

1,950 Posts

Anon  ·  21 Feb 2008
Wit of Fire,
Seriously you need some help. You can't believe for a second that cooking in a microwave is safer or healthier than cooking with gas?
And then you talk about scientific tests???

353 Posts

Witofire  ·  20 Feb 2008
Every day. I would use a microwave oven any day before cooking in a gas oven. I could not help but think of the burnt gas on the meal. Ugh!!! By the way, that plant test should use cooled boiled water from a microwave oven and cooled boiled water from another source to be a scientific test. Try it!

Anonymous  ·  18 Feb 2008
Hampshire Lassie. Microwaves are no longer banned in Russia and emit less radiation than using a mobile phone.
If you give a plant cooled water than has been boiled in a kettle, suacepan, microwave or anything else, it won't die.
And an obvious point - people are not plants.

Anonymous  ·  15 Feb 2008
Get back to me when you have tried the plant test. The Russians know more about
microwave radiation than the Americans.
they even gave an american diplomat
cancer when they covertly used it to
irradiate him while sitting in the American
embassy!

Anonymous  ·  15 Feb 2008
Oh Hampshire Lassie, The Russians banned many things which they saw as having Amercan influence.

Anonymous  ·  14 Feb 2008
Never! The Russians banned microwave
ovens in 1984. Take two healthy plants,
give one plant tap water and the other plant cooled water from the microwave and see how the plant with the microwave water begins to die after
about ten days!

Anonymous  ·  08 Apr 2005
The problem today is too many temtations, a microwave meal is ok the odd time but having them regulary is just stupid and lazy. If thats what your lifestyle is only allowing, you need to change it 30 mins is not alot of time to cook a simple nutrious meal.

Anonymous  ·  23 Mar 2005
I can't see how someone working a 12 hour shift, could be a lazy pig for using steam fresh microwavable veg or fis for their dinner at the end of a long week.

Anonymous  ·  22 Mar 2005
yum yum. Microwave lazy pig dinnerwith lots of high blood pressure and sugary sh** ingredients. energy zapped out of food, duh huh

Anonymous  ·  21 Mar 2005
Sudan 1 has been traced back to one and only one UK supplier who had used a specific spice from the far east. The company, a mass producer of worchester sauce, continued to use this ingredient once a fragment of the spice was recognised as being cancerous. This supplier has also continued to supply manufacturers such as Tesco private label, Sainsbury private lable, Weight watchers, Heinz, Pot Noodle and Birds Eye. As the manufacturers would have bought the ingredient, as an ingredient that consumers would always have in their cupboard - manufacturers never asked the question - Is there anything cancerous in this ingredient. You would imagine that that would not have been necessary considering all factories in Europe are strictly regulated. Well apparently not!

Anonymous  ·  21 Mar 2005
I take your points regarding the Bad reputation of Microwavable meals, however some brands are really making an effort to remove all e numbers and all the nasties we refer too when we think of such meals. Birds Eyey have a huge range of Microwaveable meals and they claim no artifial anything - not flavours preservatives or colours. And in their new steam meals, you can actually get 1 - 2 of your 5 a day veg & Fruit intake.

Anonymous  ·  16 Mar 2005
We don't even have a microwave; I don 't feel superior or that I am a better mother than those who choose to use them, it's just I really believe that I would be tempted to 'throw something in the microwave' regardless of it's content rather than think about what we are eating and cook from scratch.

Anonymous  ·  16 Mar 2005
We get far more radiatin from radio masts, mobile phone masts, naturally from the ground and from TV, than from microwaves

7 Posts

Margaret (Margf)  ·  15 Mar 2005
Margaret I never use microwave meals.Ido use the microwave a lot to cook veg.carrot ,cauliflower frozen veg.Ideal for cooking fish shepherds pie moussaka. All sauces, sponge puddings, stewed fruit.Iforgot to mention potatoes.Allcook well and in a matter of minutes.No reason to miss out on home cooking if time is short.

Anonymous  ·  15 Mar 2005
Microwaves are a form of radiation. There are constant ongoing debates about the ill-effects of radiation. Enter "microwave radiation" into your search engine to read some articles. Just make your healthy dinner first, sit back and read!

Anonymous  ·  14 Mar 2005
To the person who posted that microwaves are highly dangerous - what leads you to believe this?

I only use the microwave to heat food up -make scrambled eggs and cook veg quickly.I never eat microwave meals - full of salt, sugar and god knows what else!

i very rarely eat nicrowave meals maybe once every two months i much prefer my mam's home cooked dinners

Anonymous  ·  13 Mar 2005
My wife and I eat microwave meals perhaps once a week.

Anonymous  ·  11 Mar 2005
Anonymous Posted: 11/03/2005 14:11

Mary T. - what makes you think that microwave meals are highly dangerous. Gillysue, your suggestion for stir-fried vegetabls with noodles sounds fine but it's extremely low in protein.

Whoever wrote this should wear their glasses or get their eyes checked, as number one, I am not Mary T, and number two I never said microwave meals were dangerous. Read my post again! BTW, you also forget to put a question mark at the end of your "question".;-)

Mary T. - what makes you think that microwave meals are highly dangerous. Gillysue, your suggestion for stir-fried vegetabls with noodles sounds fine but it's extremely low in protein.

3 Posts

catherine (PWJ18570)  ·  11 Mar 2005
We never eat microwave meals, I find them tasteless. There is nothing better than a home cooked dinner.

18 Posts

gillysue  ·  11 Mar 2005
I agree that a relatively healthy meal can be made in as quick a time. Throw some veggies into a wok, stir fry, boil some 3 minute noodles and throw on some soy sauce. Easy. There may be some 'low fat' microwave meals on offer but they are high in sugar, salt and full of additives. I never eat them. When i cook i try to cook enough for 3 or 4 meals and then freeze it, then i just defrost one whenever i don't have time to cook.

3 Posts

Paul (ZGC24977)  ·  11 Mar 2005
very rarely. depends where you find yourself. in college i ate alot more microwave stuff but now i hardle ever

I use the microwave for scrambled eggs, etc. but only have ready-meals maybe once/twice a month.

10 Posts

bernadette (QVY16731)  ·  11 Mar 2005
As a rule I do not agree with microwave meals as I feel they have no nutritional value, but I do use the microwave to heat milk and beans.

Mary T,

Microwaves are highly dangerous!

Many things reduce our life expectancy, stress, financial pressure, pollution, alcohol, sweets perhaps. The answer is balance and moderation. Personally they are not my preference, but I can't see the harm in someone having one once in a while

Anonymous  ·  10 Mar 2005
Microwave meals bought in ,never.
We do use the microwave oven quite a lot but only to reheat healthy, wholesome meals made by my wife in advance.The combination microwave oven & grill is not use except to make the porridge.

12 Posts

Mary T (Aggie)  ·  10 Mar 2005
Combination microwave, grill and oven is really versatile for roasting chicken, grilling fish, chops, sausages & rashers (the odd time) and microwaving porridge and scrambled egg, etc. Hardly use it at all for ready-cooked stuff.

Saving time in the kitchen, while reducing your life expectancy!!!

I think it';s goign a littlew too far to say that only stupid illiterate people use microwave meals. I personally dislike them because I believe they ave low nitritional value but I can see how they save time in the kitchen

Microwave meals? They are expensive, fatty and smelly!!!

Only stupid people who can't read and don't give a hoot about their health eat them.

Much cheaper and healthier to chop some fresh vegetables to make a salad!

Next Page »
 Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation