Attitudes towards gay people

502 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

3,037 Posts

buzz  ·  01 Dec 2009

Sorry how are gays "naturally talented people"? Surely some are more talented than others, as is the case for straight people.

1 Posts

fairtrade  ·  01 Dec 2009

it shows, ireland still has narrowminded people, so what if someone is gay! Im gay! I never choose to be this way, of course Id love to have a normal family life but it's not the way things worked out for me. so I pick up the pieces and live with it!! I live a normal life like anyone else does! why shouldn't I? just because your hetrosexual doesn't make you any more appropriate in this world than a homosexual person or any kind of person!! everyone has their faults, people who seem to be homophobic usually tend to be people who have a lot of issues themselves and tend to stay clear of the limelight incase their defects are shown!! and for that comment about the bible and not accepting your own family if they were gay, who do you think would be condemned the most in our time of judgement!!

yes you meet gay assholes just as much as you meet a straight asshole, everyone is unique, all gays aint the same just as all straights aint the same, we all make our own decisions and all have different ways of living our lives!! people in general should be more concerned about their own lives without prying into the lives of others!!

0 Posts

SamSam  ·  21 Aug 2009

Gay people had the right to be treated equally. Being gay is being freedom with themselves, expressing their choice of how they wanted to be. Gays are naturally talented people and mind you they contribute a lot to our society.

3,037 Posts

Lou  ·  08 Dec 2008

Similar thing happened to me in college. There was this student in our class who was black. She was nasty and horrible and spread rumours about me behind my back. When I confronted her about this, she accused me of being racist. My answer was "I dont really care what colour you are, I care about how you treat me - I dont hate you because you're black I hate you because you're you".

53 Posts

Trinity  ·  11 Sep 2008
Lemmy, I had a friend like that once and he is no longer my friend! he used something similar to "you're just a bunch of homophobes" when confronted also but that was him scraping the bottom of the barrel as he knew he was being out of order. unfortunalty your situation is different as he is your friends brother!! he thinks he is being funny and all that, its a tough situation to be in buddy!!

Anonymous  ·  22 Apr 2008
Lemmy I agree with Happy. A quiet word alone with the brother should suffice. And if your mate starts calling you a homophobe stop going out with him too, he'll soon get the message. I'm not saying you should stop being friends with him but, as a mate, he should be made understand what the problem is. He might not see it if he lived(s) with him.

I think you need a quiet word with his brother, who's your pal. Surely he must see it and be embarrassed by it, too.

214 Posts

Lemmy  ·  22 Apr 2008
trouble is Billybob, we don't invite him out, his brother brings him along, there's no explaining to them that it's his behaviour, not that he's gay

Lemmy, the problem there is not of course that the guy is gay - but that he is rude.
If it were me, I'd spend as little time around him as possible. As I do with all rude people - gay or straight.

Stop going out with him so. Not because he's gay but because he's annoying. I too am unable to be around OTT camp gay men for a very long time. I find them too hard to cope with. It's the reason I don't go out on the gay scene. But that's just me.

214 Posts

Lemmy  ·  22 Apr 2008
this might be slightly off-topic but a friend of mine's brother is gay, he comes out with us sometimes which can bother myself and a few of the other lads, not because he's gay, but because he's so annoying. you could be chatting to a girl in a bar and he'll either insult her or yourself (usually about your clothes) or just be a general nuisance by making lewd comments. in fairness to him, he can be quite funny but a lot of the time he's just downright offensive and as soon as you say something back to him he'll accuse you of being homophobic. we've approached both him and our friend about this, and again, he launches into his "you're just a bunch of homophobes" rant at us

Sometimes men love women
Sometimes men love men
And then there are bisexuals
But some say they're just kidding themselves.......

They are your perceptions Kieran not mind. Fighting with my toenails - that's rather funny.
You think I'm clearly not happy. AGAIN your perceptions - in this case misperceptions as nothing could be further from the truth
Em, perhaps you are not aware of what bisexuality is. If a person was to date / be attracted by one sex, then they woudl be heterosexual or homosexual not bisexual.
How exactly am I contradicting myself?
Thank you for your good wishes - fulfilled many years ago, you'll be pleased to know.

194 Posts

Kieran  ·  22 Apr 2008
Anonymous, if you are with a partner for 12 years why do you
come over as very angry and very alone, anyone as angry as you are would fight with his/her toenails.
AND why do you hide behind the "anonymous" you are clearly not happy.
AGAIN, third time lucky I am going to reiterate Stay with one SEX not necessarily one partner, although " you have been with a partner for twelve years". You are contradicting yourself with every word you type.
I truly want you to be happy and when you are happy with yourself it will be noticeable in your postings, I look forward to your happiness.

Tizzy by name and nature

Part of the agony that gay men and women suffer in coming out stems not from their sexuality but from the horrifically homophobic attitudes of the narrow minded in society. Attitudes which spurred on the attempt to "cure" (impossible as it is not an illness) which was not only a catastrophic failure and completely medically contra-indicated by absolutely every single reputable medical professional but lead to not only misery but horrific psychological damage, sexual repression, depression in some cases and worse.
In China people abhorred large feet on women - they attempted to "cure" this by barbarically mutilating the feet of their little girls.
Don't try to cure that which exists as a problem only in those so narrow-minded as to know no better.

Kieran, you said you were ok with someone being bisexual and then you say that one should make a choice to be with male or female (i.e. gay or straight).
So which is it that you believe???

Caritas,

From my experience, gay people are born. I am a hetrosexual, who knows some gay paople. As 1 in 10 are supposed to be gay, I guess the chances are that we all know some gay people. You may well be correct about some gay people being "made" gay due to some early experience, I have no knowledge of that.

However, homosexuality has been depicted in artworks going back centuries. There are pictures in pompeii showing gay activity. I personally know of people who did not want to be gay and struggled for years before finally coming out. Part of their struggle included attending sessions for treatment, where attempts were made to "cure" them. This only added to their misery, before they finally achieved contentment when they came out.

This all shows to me that homosexuality is part of the human condition for some people and has been for centuries.

I am not gay and do not understand the attraction. However, I do understand and accept that other people are gay and that is what turns them on. I like certain music, but I accept that other people don't like my kind of music. I am not going to try and "treat" or maybe "cure" them.

Caritias, a "higher power" and a persons belief in it, is entirely personal to them.
The whole construct of morality - is that it is determined by the mores of a particular society at a point in time. This is and always has been subject to flux, since time immemorial.
Nature, or natural law, allows for homosexuality just as it does heterosexulity. Lets face it, with 6billion people on the planet, the human race's survival is hardly under threat - from homosexuality at any rate. Aside from the fact that lesbians and indeed gay men, do become parents.
Homosexuality might be of no use to you but seeing as you don't comprise the entire human race, you really cannot assume to be so arrognat as to judge whether it is "of use" to the rest of the planet.
To say it has been been proven not to be genetic is completely and inherently WRONG on a number of counts. Chiefly because you cannot scientifically prove a negative and thus there is no scientific proof of it.
Incidentally, just in case your erronious statement was a typo, heterosexuality has not been proven not to be genetic either.
Your own view is simply that - your view based on your outlook (subject to your own ethnocentricity, upbringing, age, peer influences and prejudices) not a scientific principle or proven concept and like all points of view it can be wrong, not to mentioned unproven.

Almost every person whom you treated who described themselves as homosexual (what's with your inverted commas?) had been the victim of childhood sexual abuse and given the statistics for homosexuality, then statistically, for every gay person who was a victim of abuse, there would be 9 or 10 straight people but just for the record, every gay man I know came from a loving nurturing caring family and there are gay posters on here who were never abused but two straight people I know (out of many) were victims of childhood abuse. Does this mean there is any corelation between heterosexuality and childhood abuse?

Well Caritas here's one homosexual who wasn't abused as a child. Perhaps you can update your records now.

But Kieran, I am not on my own, I am with a partner the last 12 years - as for attitude, look to your own.

Anonymous  ·  21 Apr 2008
Many of your comments are entirely fatuous and lacking in any real depth. Relativism is the "religion" of those who have no higher power to guide them. It means that anything can be "moral" or "immoral", depending entirely on your subjective judgement. Unfortunately, most people lack the common (previously common?) sense that allows them to live in harmony with nature, via the natural law. Heterosexuality is necessary for the survival of the human race. Homosexuality is of no use to the human race, albeit that some people pefer to practice this form of sexual expression. You can call it congenital if you want but it has been proven not to be genetic. My own view is that it is due to the derailment of sexuality during the early years of sexual development. My clinical experience has shown me that almost every person whom I have treated who described themselves as "homosexual" had been the victim of childhood sexual abuse. Take it or leave it. It's not a judgement, it's an observation,politically incorrect though it may be. God Bless you all!

My posting was edited, I mean Male or Female, and drop the attitude. You will remain on your own if you continue like that.

the person who acts like a spoilt child and wants everything??
MAKE A CHOICE AND STICK WITH IT??
What EXACTLY are you talking about Kieran?
Does that mean that one should only ever date one person their whole life?
Divorce is out then?

I understand and fully accept a person being homosexual, to me that is how nature made them, I can understand and accept a person who is attracted to both sexes. What I do not agree with is the person who acts like a spoilt child and wants everything, MAKE A CHOICE AND STICK WITH IT.

26 Posts

Alex  ·  17 Apr 2008
Kieran you sounded good there until you said it was immoral to lie with both. 3threesomes are out then? Pity This moral attitude irritates me. If you dont like the idea of other pople having sex as they please then its ok. I dont need you to like my choices but to call me immoral? jus couse you dont like it does not make it wrong. If that was the case then i would say golf is immoral and golfers should be made feel bad aboud their choices. And for inflicting upon us such things as golf on television and golfing jumpers.

guess its down to who decides whats moral?

Anonymous  ·  13 Apr 2008
I always was of the opinion if my son or daughter told me that he/she was Gay, I wouldn't have a problem and I am still of that opinion. If one is bisexual I am o.k. with so long as you don't lie with both, I would consider that irresponsible if only from a health point of view, and immoral!

34 Posts

keano  ·  03 Apr 2008
florance.. i read your post with a lot of sadness,how can you be so narrow minded of the issue of sexuality..as a few people have said, a person does not set out to be gay or choose to be gay..they are gay,plain and simple.. i know of plenty of people(through working in a large factory for a number of years) who are gay but are afraid to come out because of people with attitudes like you..as a person wrote earlier, would you prefer to hear your child committed suiside or that they were gay ?? it is such a bigger issue,especially with the likes of you around,of people not been able to come out about been gay but instead choose to take their own lives and if they dont do that,llive their lives full of want and need and they never get to experience what life is really like.LIVE AND LeT LIVE..

44 Posts

Chi  ·  03 Apr 2008
Hetrosexuality and homosexuality has been around as long as they ever have for centuries. just becasue homosexuality will no longer allow itself to be brushed under the carpet does not mean that it has never existed or that it is 'immoral'

I'm a christian myself and i'm bi. there are many who will have faith and know that god gave us the right t love. that includes same sex. we shouldn;t bring sex into this. thatsd compeltely different. when you love someone, you love them. you cant help who you fall for.

26 Posts

Alex  ·  03 Apr 2008
So Florence why do you use religion an excuse for your homophobic attitude? Clearly the bible is a pick and choose affair. Do you also have strong beliefs regarding mixed cropping? oh wait, no you probably don't because that one isn't a useful cover for a disgusting bigotry. its is morally wrong (stuff religion i'm talking morals here) to have suh an attitude to a fellow human.

I don't think if i was your kid i would tell you. how wrong is that? your children should be able to come to you no matter what, but something tells me that you will probably never know. How does that make you feel? Right, holy, just? or sad and ashamed?

62 Posts

kia!  ·  02 Apr 2008
firstly annonymous i loved your post on the comments from the bible, they really made me laugh!! second of all florance, my dad, who would be quite a strong believer in the catholic religion would prob also, unfortunately, have a negative view towards homosexuality but he would NEVER force his views onto me, nor would disown me or reject me if i was gay and although i am heterosexual i respect him entirely for this. knowing that he would accept me an love me for me and put his own beliefs aside, thats what a true christain does. if you put fear in your children about telling you things about your sexuality then they will have to deal with this pressure an anxiety themselves which can develop into depression an even worse suicide. an that, im sure you would agree, would be alot more terrfiying than your child telling you that he/she is gay!? sexuality is only a part of someones personality and to solely judge them on this is against christain ways, you have to get to know the whole person before you can judge someone. you could meet a gay person who is the kindest person in the world but are you saying that because they are gay you are going to dismiss their kind nature?i am a catholic myself,i attend mass regularly but i do believe that the catholic churchs beliefs are anicent, old fashioned and unrealistic!so no matter what the catholic church preaches, to all those gay people who are out there, be proud to be who you are!

Anonymous  ·  01 Apr 2008
Ah yes, anonymous - you are showing the bible as the work of ficton that it really is.
No-one is allowed contact with a woman while she is having her period - excellent, Can I have that day off so?
I workd lst Sabbath - I got the dinner but I didn't get paid. Do I still get put to death?
It is also forbidden to wear a garment made from two different fabrics. There goes my polyester/cotton trousers.
Oh wait, it's probably a sin for a woman to be wearing trousers in the first place.
In wonder how that excuse would go down at the garda station when I'm arrested for travelling home half-nude!!!

So Florance what are these consequences with which your impugn your children with the fear of - not being gay - but of telling you if they're gay?
Remember, in an atmosphere of fear you can never have real trust or openness.
If the consequences you threaten are that you will cut them off or no longer love them then your rejection will mean one of two things. They will hide their sexuality from you - causing them untold pain but not only that, they will also hide other important things in their life or if they've been told, 'don't come home here and tell me you're you're gay', you run the risk of them effectively not coming home at all - i.e. once they move out, they will cut off all communicaiton with you.

The Bible is the word of God and should be followed as such, so if according to the bible, if god says being gay is a sin, then it is, mind you, the same book also says:

you can sell your daughter into slavery (have loads of daughters, pay off your mortage early)

you may buy a slave providing they come from a neighbouring nation (anyone fancy some English slaves?)

if you work on the Sabbath, you should be put to death
(that'll put an end to sunday shopping)

you may not approach the alter of god if you have a defect in sight (so if you wear glasses you're in trouble!)

eating shellfish is an adomination (does that include prawn crackers?)

you are allowed no contact with a woman while she is having her period (personally, I can see an upside to that!)

planting two different crops in the same field is a sin
(does this include different plants in your garden?)

658 Posts

Papa  ·  01 Apr 2008
Thanks Florence for just proving my point again, that religion causes more hate than anything in the world. Wow! You have "coloured" friends! I'm sure they would be highly offended if you called them black! And you love everyone, as long as they're not gay!
What religion are you? Would your god not allow gay people into heaven? Anyone else he won't allow in there? Like people who use contraceptives for example? And what would you do if one of your children were gay?

214 Posts

Lemmy  ·  01 Apr 2008
interesting posts Florance, didn't know they had the internet in the 1300's

So you don't have a problem with peoples skin colour but somhow you do with peoples sexuality? There is no excuse for that kind of ignorance or narow-mindedness. Some of my friends are black also. They do not use the term coloured and in fact dislike it but that's irrelevant.
How you take your religion dos not give you carte blance to make rules.
If not for our faith what have we? I'll tell you shall I? A love for all of humanity - most especially the children we chose to have, REGARDLESS of their sexuality.
Have you ever thought - if you force your own flesh and blood to hide that essential part of their being - their sexuality, from you, how can you ever hope to have a close and trusting relationship with them in the real sense.
Rejecton teaches them that they have to hide things from you out of fear.
If that is how you feel about your children I DO dare question why you or anyone with a similar attitude would bother having children they could not accept wholly regardless of their sexuality. Repression breeds repression. Society at large reaps what you sow.

Florance,

People don't set out to be gay. Gay people are just gay, because that is how God made them. If you are gay, you cannot become "not gay" just because the mother has warned you of the "consequances".

By the way you never did articlulate what the consequances would be if one of your children turned out to be gay.

279 Posts

florance  ·  01 Apr 2008
i dont have any problem with peoples skin colour or height.in fact some of my friends are coloured,and not BLACK as you put it. i take my religion seriously as do my family for if not for our faith what have we?actually my family are great,loving kind,helpful and far from isolated or unloved.my attitude on the question asked has nothing to do with my decision to have children or not.how dare you question me why i bothered having any.

Anonymous  ·  31 Mar 2008
Florance - you "definately dont agree with people being gay". That's a bit like saying you don't agree with people being black or people being tall.
"if its not acceptable in religion . . . . . ."
Frankly, I don't give tow tuppenny damn's wthether its; acceptable in religion or not. Your belief in your religion donesn't entitle you to make rules and regulations for every one else.
You have warned your teens of the consequences of telling you if they're gay. Oh the poor unfortuate young people. I am so glad I am not one of them. That is one heck of a way to make teens feel isolated and unloved.
If you are not willing to acept your children for ALL that they are, just a nature made them, then why did you bother having any.

Anonymous  ·  31 Mar 2008
consequences????? such as?????

god love your children is all i can say.