New children's hospital name revealed

4 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

992 Posts

John Williams  ·  07 Nov 2017

Tigh

You are right about the Dublin name. Also, after I posted the comment I realised that there is already a national children's hospital based in tallaght but I suppose that is not a national hospital anymore and the name could be changed. There are many names to give a hospital and the managers, nurses, doctors and others who work in that area could, in half an hour, come up with a list of suitable names.

106 Posts

Tigh  ·  07 Nov 2017

Hello John

I totally agree with your comment below for naming the Childrens Hospital; -

Quote "It is unbelievable that with a health service in crisis all this effort and expense went into choosing a mickey mouse name. Why not call it the National Children's Hospital or the Dublin Children's Hospital"? End of Quote

The Name; - "The National Children's Hospital" is perfect.  I do not think you can name it "The Dublin Children's Hospital", as children from all other counties will be treated there!  

Regards

992 Posts

John Williams  ·  26 Oct 2017

I believe the following is the process by which the name was chosen. This name was chosen from some 300 suggestions. The decision was overseen by a naming steering group, which included representatives from the Children’s Hospital Group, parents and the three Dublin children’s hospitals. Seven roadshows were undertaken in children’s hospitals and paediatric units across the country. The suggested names were reviewed by no fewer than six focus groups consisting of staff, parents, the Youth Advisory Council, patients and service users, working with the Steering Group. The chosen name was recommended and endorsed by the Children’s Hospital Group Board. The name is, we are told, easy to read and pronounce. Finally, it translates phonetically into our native tongue as féinics.

It is unbelievable that with a health service in crisis all this effort and expense went into choosing a mickey mouse name. Why not call it the National Children's Hospital or the Dublin Children's Hospital?

106 Posts

Tigh  ·  25 Oct 2017

This is the meaning of Phoenix; -

phoe·nix

noun

• 1.(in classical mythology) a unique bird that lived for five or six centuries in the Arabian desert, after this time burning itself on a funeral pyre and rising from the ashes with renewed youth to live through another cycle.

What is the connection between the meaning of "Pheonix" and our "New Childrens Hospital", which is going to be named "Phoenix" and who decided on the name? There is nothing in the name "Phoenix" that reflects on a Hospital, or indeed makes a mark for future generations!  If there is a Childrens Hospital in the U.S.A. named "Phoenix", it makes sense as one of their States is named "Phoenix"!  Hmmmm....Is there a County in Ireland, named "Phoenix"? Smile  

Write a comment...