Harsh choices loom on 2010 health cuts

14 Comments
This discussion is now closed.
Sort by

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  22 Sep 2009

Buzz. a patient has a right - as in a LEGAL RIGHT and a right under the patients charter, to have the sedation THEY deem neccessary excepting where there is a MEDICAL (NOT COST) need for an alternative. A patient is within their rights to INSIST they be sedated (or aneasthetised in the case of pharangoscopy) for this. There are cases, such as extreme emergency or with a non-responsive neo-nate where this may not be possible for medical reasons but by and large there is not reason to withold it provided the patient requests it.

3,037 Posts

buzz  ·  07 Sep 2009

I heard from an ex patient that instead of sedating people now when they are having the camera down they are just being given something to freeze the area. Now when it comes to minimising patient distress levels and pain I think it is a disgrace to make cuts in that area.

3 Posts

Sophie  ·  05 Sep 2009

Here is one way many 10s of thousands of euros could be saved very easily, probably way over €500,000 every year (only my guess).

In every other country with modern medicine, the Urea Breath Test is used by GPs and pharmacies to diagnose Helicobacter Pylori in the stomach (the cause of most stomach & duodenal ulcers, excess acid and worse).

The Urea Breath Test costs around €25. Currently the HSE uses biopsy through an invasive endoscopy procedure, almost exclusively. Cost ? Knowing the fees the consultants get, together with the other staffing and bed costs, probably about €1,000 per endoscopy, maybe a lot more.

It has been used elsewhere as the primary diagnosis tool for many years and is very accurate.

So Ms Harney could save, at a very rough guess, about €975 per diagnosis.

My big questions are - Why aren't they using this test already ? Why haven't consultants etc told the HSE this is possible ? And supposing they have, why didn't the HSE act to save a small fortune ?

P.S. I rang the Galway Clinic also, to ask if I could have the test there (assuming they were at the forefront of modern medicine). I was told that they only use an endoscopy to diagnose H Pylori... I wonder why ? Sealed

3 Posts

Lucky  ·  04 Sep 2009

Not only do we not need 2 Health Board and the HSE, we need to get rid of the pen pushers in all the country's hospitals. There is a Manager for every manager,a bed manager for every ward a manger over him. So much administration then they cant find your file, someone else gets the blame, after a recent 3 week stay in hospital, the amount of Waste was clearly there for all to see. Scrap contract cleaners who use the same bucket of water to wash 2 wards without ever even totally washing out the mop.

3,037 Posts

buzz  ·  03 Sep 2009

Well said anonymous.

3,037 Posts

buzz  ·  03 Sep 2009

You really think you can bridge the gap between 32000 and 120000 on a technicality?

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  03 Sep 2009

kbn, I would like to know, quite genuinely how you think it is even remotely possible to live on 12,000 per year. Given that most peoples mortgage, on a very average suburban terraced family home is that alone and most of those don't have the luxury of waste, I would really honestly love to see your calculations as to how we would heat our homes, drive our very average second-hand small family car to the jobs we need and then put food on the table .

Those who are dying and ill and on waiting lists could be helped if all of the tremendous waste in the heath service was gotten rid of.

62 Posts

kbn  ·  01 Sep 2009

...yes but everything is relative.  Should those with €32,000 a year be made to live on €12,000? They would complain just like the ones on €200,000!  And yet, with judgment and discipline, it is eminently possible to do so. 

The unfortunate truth is that what is always called the "cost of living" is in actual fact the cost of waste.  By eliminating waste - not in government and banks and public bodies, but in our own daily lives - all of us can live, and live well, on a fraction of our current incomes.  That way those who are starving could be fed, those who are dying could be saved.  Those with no feet could be helped, instead of those who complain about their tight shoes! Frown

three kinds of disciples - those who impart Zen... those who tend the altars & temples... those who are the rice-bags & clothes-hangers

3,037 Posts

buzz  ·  01 Sep 2009

these people should be made live on 32 a year and see what kind of cuts they think we can afford then

9 Posts

echo  ·  01 Sep 2009

Back in 2007, one medical consultant left the cat out of the bag when he termed a salary of €205,000 plus a bonus of €40,000 for a 39-hour week as 'mickey mouse'. It must be hard for an individual like that to understand or care to understand, what life is like for a patient or ordinary health care worker on the average annual industrial wage of €32,000. 

Moreover what staff will the recommendations from an bord snip be directed to and where will changes in the basic working week for health staff that would save on overtime costs be made ?? .  Where will the scrapping of demarcation lines for some duties be directed to ? and where will the abolition of some allowances be made; and what grades will the compulsory redeployment of staff be directed at ? . Yes your right the 32k salary grades. 

Harsh choices have to be made across all grades.  Is it an bord select snip nua or an bord snip nua or is just mickey mouse

12,086 Posts

Anonymous  ·  31 Aug 2009

Good point anony, I think inb the current climate proposals such as

'changes in the basic working week for health staff that would save on overtime costs; other changes in working practices including  scrapping demarcation lines for some duties; the abolition of some allowances; and compulsory redeployment of staff'

do make sense. However, I think it is a mistake to run the HSE as it were a business.

9 Posts

echo  ·  31 Aug 2009

From above Quote, line 6

The Department of Health has already asked the HSE to look at how it can make €800 million in savings next year.

Get rid of one on these,  Department of Health or the HSE . Do we need the health service be governed by both ???   

62 Posts

kbn  ·  28 Aug 2009

why is no mention ever made of the Nursing Homes "Fair Deal " legislation in the context of these "cuts"?  The cost of this scheme (and the potential saving from scrapping it) is colossal, and those of us paying for relatives in nursing homes and already waiting (and paying) for three years since it was meant to be enacted, have no idea if it is suddenly going to be sacrificed for these "cuts". 

This uncertainty is a huge worry for all relatives affected by this issue - yet it is never even mentioned.  So much so, that i suspect most Irish people do not even know about it, despite that it is a hugely costly (and hugely progressive) piece of legislation due to the credit of Mary Harney and a shame on those who have blocked it so far.

peter norton 

three kinds of disciples - those who impart Zen... those who tend the altars & temples... those who are the rice-bags & clothes-hangers

999 Posts

anony  ·  25 Aug 2009

Will she be strong enough to take on the unions? Will she be foolish enough? Will she get a chance - she will likely be out of a job before she gets the chance but in all of this the poor patient is not considered.