| |
(Tuesday, 29th Jul, 2014)

HSE defends A&E policy

5 Comments
Sort by
Join the discussion...

49 Posts

t  ·  11 Jan 2008
dont know if i have the heart to begin another pointless blog with jamesh.just finished nights last night.51 on trolleys in my a+e.checked the hse website.it says 24.WRONG!!!!!!!angela makes a valid point.while the health boards god knows had their faults and i am not saying we should go back there but at the very least the politics was visible for every one to see NOW its all hidden in spin.if jamesh thinks that things are improving he could come and do some nights with me.i am back on monday night.i am so weary of all of this.spin spin spin.you should be ashamed.i am going to my bed tonight.i only wish the same for the poor creatures left in a+E

Anonymous  ·  11 Jan 2008
Angela, I agree with you that the HSE is far from working perfect, and does appear to be top-heavy. My only point was that the original vision of the HSE as quoted by Hammer was sound, but the implementation has been very poor so far.

However, going back to the example of the electricians, the working practices in the health system have been long in place, for decades before the HSE was created. The HSE cannot be blamed for an old world mentality that has electricans in dispute over who can change a light bulb. My point in quoting this example was to highlight the sort of stuff that the HSE is up against in trying to implement any reform.

1,950 Posts

Angela  ·  10 Jan 2008
JamesH,
You miss the whole point surely. The HSE are the ones that give out the contracts to the Electricians etc. The book stops with them. They are so busy with their own hidden agenda, they have lost sight of their own purpose.
You post as if you are a HSE Admin employee yourself.
The difference betwen the HSE and the previous Health Boards is that the HSE has even more bureaucracy and more levels than the health boards had. That cannot be a positive thing.
Anyone working in the HSE at any level will tell you that it is far more unwieldy and top heavy than the health boards were so... its backwards we are going, it would seem.

Anonymous  ·  10 Jan 2008
Hammer. The quote that you have used on the face of it makes good sense. So the theory of the HSE is certainly sound. The problem is that so far the practical reality is not delivering the substance of your quote.

So I would say that the vision is good. Major improvements are needed in the actual organisation.

However some acknowlegements are also needed. There are many vested interests in the health service hampering progress. The usual suspects quoted in that context are the consultants. However there are loads of inefficent practices throughout the sector, including the nurses, radiographers, pathology lab techs, porters. I work close to the hospital environment and the amount of scams going on would shock you. Just look at the recent dispute in the south with electricans argueing about who could change a light bulb. It is this level of intransigence that the HSE and Mary Harney are up against.

There have been some significant improvements as a result of the the HSE. Most significant is the recent Cancer strategy. This could never have happened with the old health board structure. There are many challenges ahead with this (not least sorting out the consultants contract), but at least it is theoritcally possible. It was impossible under the health boards.

544 Posts

hammer  ·  10 Jan 2008
In their own words this is who the HSE are. Check out their website. Are they for real ? Is there any leadership
in the HSE. The only Dept that seems to be effective is the one that sends out all the "spin"............

The Health Service Executive (HSE) is responsible for providing Health and Personal Social Services for everyone living in the Republic of Ireland. As outlined in the Health Act, 2004, the objective of the Executive is to use the resources available to it in the most beneficial, effective and efficient manner to improve, promote and protect the health and welfare of the public.

The HSE provides thousands of different services in hospitals and communities across the country. These services range from public health nurses treating older people in the community to caring for children with challenging behaviour; from educating people how to live healthier lives to performing highly-complex brain surgery; from planning for major emergencies to controlling the spread of infectious diseases. At some stage every year, everybody in Ireland will use one or more of the services provided. They are of vital importance to the entire population.

The establishment of the HSE represents the beginning of the largest programme of change ever undertaken in the Irish public service. Prior to this, services were delivered through a complex structure of ten regional Health Boards, the Eastern Regional Health Authority and a number of other different agencies and organisations. The HSE replaces all of these organisations. It is now the single body responsible for ensuring that everybody can access cost effective and consistently high quality health and personal social services. The service will be delivered making best use of resources allocated by Government. The largest employer in the State, the HSE employs more than 65,000 staff in direct employment and a further 35,000 staff are funded by the HSE. The budget of almost 12 billion is the largest of any public sector organisation.

Return to Topics
 Main Discussion Page
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify.
Copyright © 2014. All rights reserved. We subscribe to the principles of the Health On the Net Foundation