When your relative is diagnosed with mental illness, you will undoubtedly have a lot of questions.
Here are some questions you may want to ask the doctor or social worker about your relative's illness:
- What is the diagnosis?
- What medications have you prescribed, how often, and at what dosage?
- What are some of the possible side effects of these medications and how can they be managed?
- What changes in behaviour can I expect when he comes home?
- How can I tell if these changes are due to the illness or to medication?
- How should I treat him when he comes home?
- When can I expect to see some improvement in his condition?
- What other supportive services will my relative need?
- How can I tell if he has a relapse?
- Who should I call if there is an emergency?
- What can I do to help?
Back to "For Carers"
Back to Homepage