Medical Q&As

Chest x-ray

I went to my GP a few days ago for the results of a chest x-ray. The x-ray revealed a shadow on one of my lungs. He said that he wasn't sure what might be causing this and that it would be necessary to have some further tests to establish what is wrong. I am 68 years old and feeling OK. Do I have to go to see the specialist?

The straight answer to your question is that you don't have to go if you don't want to. Medical treatment can only be administered if you give your consent. However I think you should go back to your doctor and discuss your fears with him. The shadow on your lung may be due to something that is capable of being totally cured. I think it would be wise to establish a proper diagnosis in your case. Having established the facts you are then in a more informed position to make a decision about further action. You can then decide if you wish to proceed to treatment. If you don't establish the diagnosis you may be sentencing yourself to a life of worry and dread that something awful is about to happen to you. Your worst fears may not be realised.