Medical Q&As

Urinary infection - investigate?

I am currently suffering from my third kidney infection this year. Should I seek referral to a specialist?

Since this is your third episode of urinary infection it would certainly be appropriate to undergo some investigations in order to establish if there is some underlying factor that is predisposing you to developing infection. Your GP would have access to the relevant tests, which would include urine testing, blood testing and radiology. Strictly speaking it is not necessary to be referred to a specialist to be investigated. Your GP could initiate the investigations and refer you to an appropriate specialist depending on the initial test results. I agree with the general thrust of your question and do agree that three urinary infections in one year is significant and ought not be ignored.