Medical Q&As

Penile thrush - treatment?

I have recently developed a thrush infection. I know from previous thrush infections that I can buy over-the-counter products to treat the thrush. However, from previous advice you have given on this website concerning the treatment of thrush, you have suggested that both partners should be treated to prevent the infection reoccurring. I would like to know how penile thrush should be treated?

Your partner could purchase the same over-the-counter product that you have used and apply it to the glans area of the penis. The foreskin should be drawn back and the cream applied to the glans or head of the penis and the exposed inner surface of the foreskin. The foreskin is then drawn back over the glans. Penile thrush is usually located under the foreskin. It is not necessary to apply the cream along the shaft of the penis.