Medical Q&As

Genital wart - help?

I think I might have a genital wart. What should I do?

It is important that you be medically examined to confirm or reject the diagnosis of genital warts. You have a choice of either attending your GP or an STD clinic for that purpose. If the diagnosis is confirmed you will be screened for other sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea. In the meantime if you are uncomfortable and feeling sore you should take dilute salt baths. Paracetamol should also help to relieve such discomfort. It is very important that you abstain from sexual intercourse until you have been assessed and treated. It is also essential that if the diagnosis is confirmed that your partner also be checked. Such checking of your partner should also include general STD screening.