Medical Q&As

Male breast tissue - OTC remedy?

I am now 19-years-old. I have read your section on male breast enlargement. This happened to me when I was 11. However it has never gone away. It has caused me so much embarrassment that I havenít played any sport or even gone swimming since then. What do I need to do to have a normal chest? Iíd be too embarrassed to go to the doctor, so Iíd prefer an over the counter treatment.

I can understand your reasons for being embarrassed but your expectation of dealing with your problem with an over-the-counter remedy is probably unrealistic. I would urge you to go to your doctor. Although you are obviously embarrassed by your condition your GP will be able to provide you with the information and help that you need. It is possible to remove male breast tissue and to do so without leaving a significant scar. Such surgery is not major and it might even be possible to do it as a day case, which would remove the need for an overnight stay in hospital. I would be very wary about over-the-counter remedies that are claimed to reduce male breast enlargement.