Medical Q&As

Static electricity

When I touch the exterior (normally closing the door) of a car after being on the road I receive a slight shock. Is there anything I can do to prevent this, or is it something I need to be concerned about at all?

You do not need to be concerned about this. The shock you experience when you close the door of your car is due to a build up of static electricity that is discharged from your body when you touch the metal door handle. Static electricity builds up because of friction between your clothing and the car seat fabric or possibly friction between the soles of your shoes and the mat on the floor of your car. If you wear shoes with synthetic soles or have car seat covers or floor mats that contain a high level of nylon you might consider changing them. There are no health implications with this problem.