Medical Q&As

Urethral stricture - explain?

I have suffered from a weak bladder for a number of years. I feel that I may be suffering from a urethral stricture as I have difficulty both urinating and ejaculating. I can feel a slight lump near the tip of my penis. What advise would you give to me to solve this very annoying problem?

A urethral stricture is an abnormal narrowing in the urethra, which is the tube that conveys urine from the bladder for excretion. A stricture may be caused by inflammation or scar tissue in the urethra resulting from urethritis or inflammation of the urethra. Urethritis can be a manifestation of sexually transmitted disease. Trauma to the pelvic area may also result in stricture formation and it can also happen as a complication of surgery to the urethra or the prostate gland. Congenital strictures are rare and overall the condition occurs less frequently in females. The main symptom of urethral stricture is a decreased stream of urine. I am not at all convinced that you have a stricture but do agree that the matter needs to be assessed. A cystoscopy should establish the diagnosis by allowing the examining doctor to see the stricture while passing a special instrument called a cystoscope up through the penis. A retrograde urethrogram can also identify the presence of a stricture. This imaging technique involves the passing of a special dye into the bladder through the urethra, which allows the identification of the stricture on X ray. I am not avoiding your direct question about treatment but I do think it is important to establish that you have the condition before elaborating on any treatment. To do otherwise might be explaining a treatment that had no relevance to your condition. You should contact your GP who can in turn refer you to a urologist for further assessment.