Medical Q&As

Excessive drinking

I'm a 25-year-old man and over the last year I've been drinking excessively on a regular basis. I've gotten to a stage now where it's not fun anymore and I feel like it's having a very negative effect on my life. I've decided to change my lifestyle now. I am also very worried about a dull pain in my back that has been happening on and off over the last month. I don't know if it's related to my drinking but I tend to get it on the morning after a bout of drinking. It comes and goes. Should I go to the doctor or just leave it?

It is good that you have recognised that your drinking has become a problem. One of the great difficulties with excessive alcohol consumption is that people deny the existence of the problem even if confronted constructively by those closest to them. I cannot imagine how your back pain could be related to your drinking but a visit to your doctor could resolve that question for you. During your visit you could mention your history of heavy drinking with a view to having a blood test performed to establish if there has been any impairment of liver function.