Medical Q&As

Counselling - where do I go?

Where do I go to find information on counselling? I am feeling a bit down and have been feeling this way for some time. I want to do something about it and I don't know where to start.

I can identify with your sense of confusion because there is a bewildering range of people available who promote themselves as counsellors and as a layperson it is very difficult for you to know if the person you choose to consult with is appropriately qualified. The Irish Association for Counselling and Therapy maintains a register of counsellors who have attained appropriate professional qualifications. Such counsellors often indicate that they are listed on the register by appending the professional qualification MIACT (Member of the Irish Association for Counselling and Therapy) after their name. You will find many such counsellors listed in the Golden Pages telephone directory. Your GP could also be of assistance to you and possibly recommend a particular counsellor because many of us in general practice have long standing professional relationships with various counsellors.