Medical Q&As

Cholesterol - measurement?

How do I get a cholesterol test, as I am a bit worried that I might have high levels? Can I contact a specialist?

There is no need to attend a specialist in order to have a cholesterol test. This can be done very simply through your GP. Some GPs have the equipment for performing such testing in their surgeries but they would be in the minority. Even in the absence of such equipment every GP should be able to help you and could organise for testing to be performed at your local hospital. In such circumstances it is usually possible to obtain a result within a few days. It is normally recommended that a blood sample for cholesterol testing be taken in the morning with the person having fasted from their evening meal of the night before. If you are a registered site user you can find a more comprehensive discussion on various aspects of cholesterol at: