Medical Q&As

Genital herpes - what do I do?

I have genital herpes. I was diagnosed in France and have just finished my medication. What do I do next? Do I need to be tested for herpes to see if it is gone? Do I need a smear test? Does the medication affect the pill longer than the 7-day rule? I presume I should visit my doctor but what do I need to do next?

You ask many questions so let me give you some quick answers. Your medication does not affect your pill longer than the seven-day rule. You do not need extra smear testing because of the genital herpes. If you havenít had a smear test in the past it would be a good idea to have one done if you are 25 years old or older. This is simply good health advice and not specifically because you have had herpes. If you havenít had a general S.T.D. (sexually transmitted disease) screen in France you should organise this through your GP. It is important to be sure that you are free of all other S.T.D.s. Genital herpes can recur and it will be necessary for you to practice safe sex. If you do notice a recurrence of the herpes you should return to your doctor for further treatment. I am not aware if an antibody test for herpes yet exists. Confirmation that the infection has resolved usually relies on visual inspection to establish that the lesions are all gone. Sorry if this reply seems stark but your query contained several questions and I wanted to try to answer them all. You might also consider attending a specialist in S.T.D.s for additional information and advice.