154,970 registered members
Increasing number attending sex assault unit
[Posted: Fri 22/10/2010 by Deborah Condon www.irishhealth.com]
The Dublin Rape Crisis Centre (DRCC) has reported an ‘alarming increase' in the number of victims accompanied to the Sexual Assault Treatment Unit (SATU) in the Rotunda Hospital by its trained volunteers in the third quarter of this year.
According to DRCC chief executive, Ellen O'Malley-Dunlop, 90 people were accompanied to the SATU in July, August and September, compared to 64 in the previous three months, April, May and June.
"There is a very worrying increase in the levels of violence accompanying the attacks and an increase in the numbers of young people who are claiming that their drinks were interfered with," Ms O'Malley-Dunlop explained.
She emphasised that with the bank holiday weekend approaching, the DRCC ‘wants to impress on everyone to take care and to take heed of the staying safe tips we have devised'.
"They work and could go a long way to preventing the unthinkable happening," she added.
• Key the number of the national 24-hour helpline into your mobile phone -1 800 77 88 88.
• Look out for each other.
• Do not get separated from your group.
• Keep your drink in your hand at all times.
• Do not accept a drink from someone you have just met.
• Ask a friend to mind your drink if you have to leave.
• Nominate a designated minder for each group of six (in the same way as designated drivers are used).
• Share taxies and lifts with friends.
• If you have to travel alone make sure you have phoned ahead to where you are going and given your estimated t time of arrival.
• Make sure your mobile is charged at all times.
Steps to take if a bad incident occurs
• Have your mobile phone charged at all times.
• If you wish to report the crime, report it to the Gardai.
• Seek medical help.
|Anonymous Posted: 26/10/2010 17:31|
Good advice. You still see drinks left unattended in nite clubs while groups are on the dancefloor (where glasses and bottles are not allowed)
|To join the discussion, register by clicking here|