The HSE has insisted that there is no recruitment embargo in place within the public health system. This is despite claims by the IMPACT trade union that a range of cutbacks in the Dublin/mid-Leinster region in the coming months will lead to the loss of 100 more jobs.
Almost 28,000 healthcare workers, who are members of IMPACT, are currently taking part in industrial action in response to what the union claims is a recruitment freeze by the HSE.
It insists that no vacancy can be filled unless another post is suppressed and this is having a major effect on services and staff. It claims that this recruitment freeze has left 2,700 vital jobs unfilled.
Since May 21, the workers in the HSE and HSE-funded organisations have refused to cover posts left vacant by the recruitment freeze. They have also stopped co-operating with HSE advisors, blocked non-emergency overtime and out-of-hours work and halted co-operation with the HSE’s ‘transformation programme’.
Furthermore since earlier this month, members have been instructed not to assist or participate in the provision of information, or to attend meetings connected to a range of reporting activities. These include meetings on activity levels, employment control reports and HSE corporate financial reports.
Throughout this action, IMPACT has released figures which it claims reveal the devastating effects of this recruitment freeze. For example, a succession of lost occupational therapy posts in Carlow and Kilkenny has left major gaps in services for children with special needs.
Today, IMPACT said that members working in the Dublin/mid-Leinster region have been told that a range of cuts are due to be imposed in the coming months. These will include the loss of 100 more posts, the closure of one, as yet unidentified, residential unit, a region-wide ban on overtime and a halving of on-call arrangements.
However the HSE has again insisted that no recruitment embargo is in place. It said that since January 2008, over 3,400 posts have been approved to be filled, which will bring the total number of staff employed across the HSE, voluntary hospitals and voluntary agencies, to 128,000.
“In short, recruitment continues to happen, with a large number of important medical consultant posts approved and advertised every week”, it said.
It added that it has invited IMPACT to meet with senior management on June 17 to engage in dialogue, ‘with a view to agreeing a process towards resolving this dispute’.
The HSE must be right as they say there is no embargo. It must be that there are loads of jobs, people are being interviewed it is just that they are not getting appointed until the current economic crisis is sorted which will be 2010 at the earliest. Anyone out there who can tell me what industry will replace construction ?
Was it Alice in Wonderland that said 'words mean what I mean them to mean'? So the HSE does not replace workers who leave and still claim there is no embargo. Black is white.This statement is typical of the 'spin' that emerges almost on a daily basis from the HSE. It proves you cannot believe one word of any statement from the HSE.
If the ban on overtime is true GOD HELP US ALL.it is only through overtime that patients can still be cared for.One ward in our local hosp is 7 nurses short and only stay open with overtime. huge numbers of beds will close if the ban comes into effect.STAY WELL
As a committed HSE worker of 20 years I find such claims blatant lies which damage the integrity of the organisation. The HSE is continually refusing to backfill vacancies as they arise - mainly clerical and therapy posts. Patients are suffering as a result and its only a matter of time before a client suffers a tragic outcome as a result.
After the Lisbon vote don`t be surprised if Minister of Finance puts a total ban on all overtime across the public service until the current economic conditions recover sometime in 2010.
hiring freeze - recruitment embargo - cutback - hiring ban - call it anything you like, it still affects patients.
Is this double jeopardy? Sectors may recruit if they've stayed within their budgets - the very budgets which will be exceeded if new staff are employed.
why is the hse using the web only to advertise for care staff and the national papers to advertise for nurses? surely the one advertismet would cover all or is this only an excuse to frustrate the recruitment process?
maybe FAS are doing it for them !!!!!!!!!!!!!
John (johnwilliams) and hammer, You're both correct in your distrust of the HSE! The HSE insists there is 'no recruitment embargo' ? Of course there isn't/won't be....because if there was....their (and the politician's) friends and relations would'nt get a ticket for the 'gavy-train' !! Anybody know who has been employed in the thousands of useless quangos the 'government' has set up over the last number of years ? How many of those engaged/employed were connected to the councils/govts etc ? You won't find the answers via the 'freedom-of-information' Act.......because as any fool has discovered....only certain info is accessible to the public....the really 'meaty' stuff is hidden !! The really 'criminal' part of the above is that ALL of the so-called pro-bono POLITICIANS...of all colours...are a party to this! If they were all straight and honest...would they be meeting the Govt. 'gravy-trainers' in the tax-subsidised Dail bar for a few pints ???
who the hell does Drumm and Harney think they are fooling with the notion that there is no hire freeze in place,i am a nurse and for the last year i have been unable to secure employment not even part time or voluntary.because i took a break for a few years i now have to go back and do an access course.but had i been able to get work last year when first applied i wouldnt be in a no work position now.and yes i agree patients are suffering as a result
Brandy, give the caps,dots,apostrophes and exclaimation marks a break and just say what you have to say simply without the drama.
are they recruiting for care assistants or social care workers anyone know